Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this quote online:

Each person is like a pressure cooker with its cap on. As long as the cap is on, no one can know how much pressure is built up inside us. Very often even we ourselves are not aware of how much pressure has built up in our system until it explodes the top off or starts to seep out of some weaker points in this cooker.
I relate to this completely. Sometimes I'm not even aware of how much pressure is building up, or even what the pressure is caused by. Recently, I became aware of this and sorry, I can only try to relay this through an analogy: so you know how rice cookers have that area where steam comes out? I feel like that lately.. I've been venting a lot (on PC), letting the steam get out, but even still, more pressure builds up without me even being aware. I unconsciously internalize things and let things build up in my system.

Do any of you guys relate to this , too? I found this helpful to understand my feelings/how I deal with emotionally stressful/frustrating situations so just thought I'd post it. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
YES. And I LOVE sunflowers. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I find that INFJs are moody because they are shedding emotional stress. In my opinion, Fe causes the moodiness, but is also what makes many of the INFJs I've met so stable and able to withstand emotional storms better than most types.

The pressure cooker is a good analogy. Assuming the steel cooker is your emotional home, you let out some of the steam occasionally, unlike those of us with Fi. It is also why we are loathe to understand your moodiness - we often see it as the cause of issues, when in reality it is only the symptom of keeping yourself emotionally stable.

If an outsider tampers with the pressure cooker, ie making snarky comments, those little things that hurt your feelings, looks that ruin your day, etc...you will create a mess. However, if you throw the pressure cooker with all of your might, you are not going to break it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Knives. I'd say that's a good observation -- how those little things tamper with the cooker and how letting out steam is our way of being emotionally stable. It was really well articulated and relayed the points well.

It's also interesting to see how others could perceive this kind of moodiness as loathsome/ selfish. I think at least the ExFx types I've known have viewed this as selfish - because instead of addressing what makes me feel this way, I just let out the steam on my own. It's like they want a confrontation or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts