Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's face it: as rationals we still have to deal with emotions. But, this has recently been lingering in my mind. We like to be as logically sound as possible in every circumstance, and decision with or without people; conversely, we try not to allow our emotions to cloud us from truth or logic.

Sometimes, when I work with large numbers of people, I lose self-control over my emotions. My ability to analyze and think powerfully dampens. Then the ominous feeling of incompetence and flustered settles in. With the stroke of the heart, however, I counteracted those weakening emotions. Because I couldn't stabilize them, I over-rode them with the stronger feelings of confidence,boldness, faithfulness, aggressiveness, and strength.

Suddenly, I could think clearly again and gain control of not just my thoughts but the emotions that I used. The people around me no longer seemed intimidating but as pawns. But what was really enlightening was that fact that I could direct and shape my emotions to restore my rational thinking.

It seems very contradicting that emotions can be used to think more rationally. So, what do you posters think or feel? Can you personally testify to an experience similar to mine?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I used to feel very deficient in socializing. For some reason I always took jobs dealing with the public though. I think that I did this to improve myself. Coworkers usually fall into categories with me. It is weird. The main problem I have with some coworkers is that they are stupid or do things to hurt the company.

Hurt the company - I am a company man: I look at what my employer makes as my means to personal gain. If I didn't like the employer I would not be there. They give me money and therefor I treat my company as a good friend. I have extreme difficultly with people that I feel are hurting the company but they are still trying to 'climb the ladder.' It gets ugly when I get a supervisor that I feel this way about. I can carry on small talk np, but I would fire them if I could. That is hard for me to hide sometimes.

Stupid - The second group that I can think of atm is stupid coworkers. Stupid is a general term and perhaps incompetent is a better word choice. I don't know, but I dislike coworkers that I feel are weak links. I do not have a problem helping anyone plus I really enjoy training people, but I hate to think that my help or training was wasted. I will train someone for years or as long as they want; if I feel they are interested. If not, they are incompetent IMO. I don't want to look after a child my own age on the job, I want real assistance and if not now then at some point in the future.

I hide my emotions when dealing with these types of people. I have not figured out yet how to motivate myself to overcome my own judgments. It causes problems and that may be one of my biggest shortcomings at work. I really like your idea of replacing one emotion with another. I will have to think about a method for myself. Large groups I do not have a problem with; that I am aware of. I worked as a crowd control supervisor for years. I am used to being one of the more rational ones if not the most rational in any large group. Unless I'm drinking :laughing:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hum hum hum... I would say that I don't ever really remember my emotions being so useful except for appearing when I have to show them. (Talking about funny stuff, time to smile.) [But not so...weirdly inhumane.]
I go the more unacceptable route of "total system lockdown, zero-emotion output" when I have very, very, very serious, very, very, very frustrating, very, very, very important things that need to get done right now. I do not have time to dabble in things I do not understand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let's face it: as rationals we still have to deal with emotions. But, this has recently been lingering in my mind. We like to be as logically sound as possible in every circumstance, and decision with or without people; conversely, we try not to allow our emotions to cloud us from truth or logic.

Sometimes, when I work with large numbers of people, I lose self-control over my emotions. My ability to analyze and think powerfully dampens. Then the ominous feeling of incompetence and flustered settles in. With the stroke of the heart, however, I counteracted those weakening emotions. Because I couldn't stabilize them, I over-rode them with the stronger feelings of confidence,boldness, faithfulness, aggressiveness, and strength.

Suddenly, I could think clearly again and gain control of not just my thoughts but the emotions that I used. The people around me no longer seemed intimidating but as pawns. But what was really enlightening was that fact that I could direct and shape my emotions to restore my rational thinking.

It seems very contradicting that emotions can be used to think more rationally. So, what do you posters think or feel? Can you personally testify to an experience similar to mine?

I talk myself out of it when emotions are affecting my decision making.

But it only happens when I am dealing with people really close to me, if it's anyone else out there I won't have a problem though I am generally nice to people at work, I do get irritated constantly by them and I have no problem telling them off. Even if when I don't I think I am not very good at hiding them.

Somehow, when I'm with people who are close to me, I fall into another type. :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts