Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if other INFPs experienced emotions from a long time ago just as strongly as they did then. Pain and betrayal are the ones that are most likely to feel the strongest after years, but sometimes joy or feeling loved last just as long for me. It's like when I view the memory, I'm there again and feeling the exact same things I did then. Does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, sometimes I place myself right back in very traumatic or strong, meaningful memories, and I will feel as if it were happening in the present. I like to do it, though. It's kind of... cathartic in a way?

I'm also pretty dramatic in that I tend to imagine myself in emotional situations just to see how I would react. I think it's fun in a strange way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tend to remember sadness the most. Going back to think of my grandmother is one of my most common activities while laying awake at night. I don't know why, but remembering the sadness I associated with her passing makes me feel relieved that I can feel so strongly for a person so far in my past. It was the first death I experienced, so it makes sense that I dwell on this memory the most. I also tend to remember the euphoria I felt in the best times of my past relationships. The whole process makes me feel more alive and makes me appreciate what has happened to me. I constantly recollect many past events, so you're not alone. :happy:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm also pretty dramatic in that I tend to imagine myself in emotional situations just to see how I would react. I think it's fun in a strange way.
I'm the same ways sometimes. The other day, I started crying before I remembered that I was just imagining it. Sometimes it takes a while for me to remember that it isn't actually happening.

I constantly recollect many past events, so you're not alone. :happy:
That's quite a relief to hear. Thank you very much.

4,757 Posts
I do that all the time. It's morbid and hurtful but also strangely fascinating.

OP: I had that - I think it can be a symptom of PTSD. If you have it surrounding horrible memories, Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a useful technique to lessen or basically erase the horrible feelings - at least, it worked very well for me.

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do that all the time. It's morbid and hurtful but also strangely fascinating.

OP: I had that - I think it can be a symptom of PTSD. If you have it surrounding horrible memories, Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a useful technique to lessen or basically erase the horrible feelings - at least, it worked very well for me.
It is very fascinating. Even though it's not necessarily a positive thing, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who does this.

Ohh, interesting. What exactly is EMDR? I've heard of it in a few classes, but I don't think I understand its general idea.

4,757 Posts
It is very fascinating. Even though it's not necessarily a positive thing, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who does this.

Ohh, interesting. What exactly is EMDR? I've heard of it in a few classes, but I don't think I understand its general idea.
I underwent it a while ago, so my memory's sketchy ... hmm, it's basically trying to create an association between positive mental associations and bad memories through physiological triggers. I don't think I can adequately describe it :frustrating:

So here's wiki Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I get that feeling. I have a different feeling for every part of my life and I can experience each of those feelings when I think about it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can relate to this. A great example is when I sometimes think about the time a girl, who I had a heavy crush on, eye-flirted with me.

I get the same excitement and embarrassment I got then and I even move my eyes the same way I did back then, where we syncronically gazed at each other then quickly looked away etc.

Then I get the same feeling of shame I got shortly after the incident for not flirting enough.

Then I just feel sad because we never got together, even though it was so clear that we should have :sad:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I can feel them even 40 years later. They are like they happened just yeasterday and I bring one up now and then just to help me learn. I like appliying the knowledge I have now to the emotions I had as a child.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can feel them even 40 years later. They are like they happened just yeasterday and I bring one up now and then just to help me learn. I like appliying the knowledge I have now to the emotions I had as a child.
That's really a way I hadn't thought about it before... I guess if we're constantly reliving the moment and the emotions, we have time to think about it and what happened as our view of the world shifts....

Reactions: Blue Butterfly

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do a whole lot depending on the situation, but all I can say is Deja Vu. :crazy:
I guess if it came on really strongly it could be Deja Vu... Mostly I associate that term with things happening in real life that I had dreamed about in the past, but this might count...

Reactions: benfoldsfive dude

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I wouldn't say I feel it quite as intensely as the original... (lets say 80% of the emotion is still there) However, thinking about emotional events from the past: do trigger very strong feelings like those I remember. For me, positive memories have more emotional feeling to them still in the present compared to negative... though, I remember negative memories longer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts