Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An open discussion about emotions.
To start: What do you do in a situation where you feel emotionally mixed, do you just accept it, do self CBT and move on?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I don't usually feel emotionally mixed.

If I do feel emotionally mixed, I decide to ignore the emotions and act as rationally as possible.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
emotions sometimes overwhelm me, and life goes to crap in a big frigging hurry.

I remove myself from the situation, give me some time, let my logic take over again, and then deal with the issue. then I deal with the emotions.

ENTP's are truly horrible at Fi - it is the very very very last thing on our list of functions.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I use logic.

Reactions: nujabes

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Emotional situations drain me fast. I usually start analyzing them until I'm drained, then give up and stop.

I've recently noticed another issue, involving social situations and some subconscious level of "light anxiety." This is frequent and sticks with me for days at a time, and I'm still trying to figure out they how and why.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Not that simple when you're feeling muddled. I meditate if I have enough energy, else I let the issue rest until after I've had a good night's sleep.
In that case I just use intuitive logic, which I'm even better at than regular logic. The less sense something makes, the more likely I'll be able to utilize it properly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In that case I just use intuitive logic, which I'm even better at than regular logic. The less sense something makes, the more likely I'll be able to utilize it properly.
So how do you use intuitive logic on command? Emotions aren't something you can rationalize totally I believe

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Depends on what said emotions are. If it's something I can think my way out of, I think of all the possible ways to solve the problem.

If it's some sort of irrational emotion which I can't control, I pretty much shut down. It's not pretty.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on what said emotions are. If it's something I can think my way out of, I think of all the possible ways to solve the problem.

If it's some sort of irrational emotion which I can't control, I pretty much shut down. It's not pretty.

This all probably as to do with our thoughts, there are always thoughts that seem to preceed emotion and it's about quickly altering the automatic thought, just yesterday a parent was screaming at me and i took it personally. As if my "ego" was damaged and needed to retaliate but i guess for me it's just zooming out of the situation, finding out what's the next most important thing e.g. studying for an exam and focus on that thing.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I find that mixed emotions sabotage my ability to think rationally and use that good Ti to analyse effectively. I usually end up making some angry impulsive judgement on the situation or person i have mixed emotions towards (generally hate and love) then i repress the topic until the same s*** happens the next time. I don't like to think when those emotions come to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I practice acceptance with tough emotions. I let them happen, whatever they are, and allow them to play themselves out within me. If I feel an emotion is clouding my judgment, I will procrastinate action. Then, of course, my decisions are strategic and logical.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts

Something more like this.

l don't relate to ''mixed''. How do you even determine that? Maybe due to not identifying the emotions correctly.

l tend to identify emotion very well, but l usually only have one :crazy:

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I practice acceptance with tough emotions. I let them happen, whatever they are, and allow them to play themselves out within me. If I feel an emotion is clouding my judgment, I will procrastinate action. Then, of course, my decisions are strategic and logical.
it sounds like you have an exceptional handle on your emotions, implying very strong Fi.

·
Registered
98 Posts
it sounds like you have an exceptional handle on your emotions, implying very strong Fi.
Not really. I study mindfulness and well-being techniques which have benefited my life. I recognize that I am most often unaware of my emotions, unless they become strong, and even then I used to ignore them entirely for impersonal strategic approaches. This was to my detriment because it slowed growth and raising emotional intelligence. Although I can still ignore even strong emotions, I recognize the value of being mindful of them, allowing them to be explored, understood and play themselves out within me. I recognize that they lead to new insights and that this prevents them from getting bottled up somewhere in my unconscious. It has also improved my capacities with others in personal matters. I'm a big proponent of mindfulness techniques and I am getting better at practicing it more with myself.

Fi also includes the evaluation of people and things in relation to an internal values system. When I first learned about Fi, I was dating an INFP and I explored it with her. It took me time and the assistance of books to understand it, and my understanding is still mostly theoretical, but I recognize that there is value in Fi. So now, from time to time, I will try and evaluate my own personal relationships and think about what my values are. I recognize that my approach is still mostly in a systems and models way but I think we can benefit from using our dominant and secondary functions to supplement the benefits of our lacking functions while doing it in our own way.

Recognizing my Te sucks, I found the Eisenhower to-do method to help me be somewhat reliable. Recognizing that my Fe is mostly subconscious I approached relationships as systems and science so it can be more in my Ne-Ti framework. Recognizing my Si can stress me out, I try to do things that take care of it from time to time. Recognizing that my Ni sucks, well, I don't really have a good approach for that one.

Personality type is to help raise our self-awareness and aid us towards self-development, what Jung called our process of individuation and integration. Certainly there are some things that won't interest us — the concrete world is mostly boring to me — but if we find ourselves deficient in something which is also an important role in our lives, there's no gain from saying "well I'm just going to be bad at that." More than likely there's a way we can meet those needs using functions that we do have and gaining more understanding and awareness of what those functions are trying to fulfill.

I think we ENTPs are kind of fortunate in that most things can be understood through the sciences, the sciences are natural to us, and we have a drive for learning and growth.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
what enneagram are you?
I'm not sure if I buy into the Enneagram thing. I plan to look into it more but my intuition is already wary of it so I never get around to doing so. That said, I've taken the test two times. The first time I took it I got a 5 but it didn't really fit me generally. The second time I took it I got a 7.

In a day attempt to learn more about it I learned that 7s act like 5s when they were stressed. When I took the test the first time I was stressed and had come out of a period of dealing with problems mostly through my usual method of researching solutions. The second time I was feeling more as I normally do. The 7 description seems to fit how I am when I'm exploring and living and the 5 description fits when something is bothering me.

I'm hesitant to have shared that, though, because I'm skeptical of the model. It hasn't evidenced itself to me as much as this Jungian system has.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
I'm not sure if I buy into the Enneagram thing. I plan to look into it more but my intuition is already wary of it so I never get around to doing so.
that is an interesting paradigm. Do you mean it does not work for you, or it does not work for anyone?

the dichotomy of believing in mindfulness but not enneagrams is an interesting one to me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really. I study mindfulness and well-being techniques which have benefited my life. I recognize that I am most often unaware of my emotions, unless they become strong, and even then I used to ignore them entirely for impersonal strategic approaches. This was to my detriment because it slowed growth and raising emotional intelligence. Although I can still ignore even strong emotions, I recognize the value of being mindful of them, allowing them to be explored, understood and play themselves out within me. I recognize that they lead to new insights and that this prevents them from getting bottled up somewhere in my unconscious. It has also improved my capacities with others in personal matters. I'm a big proponent of mindfulness techniques and I am getting better at practicing it more with myself.

Fi also includes the evaluation of people and things in relation to an internal values system. When I first learned about Fi, I was dating an INFP and I explored it with her. It took me time and the assistance of books to understand it, and my understanding is still mostly theoretical, but I recognize that there is value in Fi. So now, from time to time, I will try and evaluate my own personal relationships and think about what my values are. I recognize that my approach is still mostly in a systems and models way but I think we can benefit from using our dominant and secondary functions to supplement the benefits of our lacking functions while doing it in our own way.

Recognizing my Te sucks, I found the Eisenhower to-do method to help me be somewhat reliable. Recognizing that my Fe is mostly subconscious I approached relationships as systems and science so it can be more in my Ne-Ti framework. Recognizing my Si can stress me out, I try to do things that take care of it from time to time. Recognizing that my Ni sucks, well, I don't really have a good approach for that one.

Personality type is to help raise our self-awareness and aid us towards self-development, what Jung called our process of individuation and integration. Certainly there are some things that won't interest us — the concrete world is mostly boring to me — but if we find ourselves deficient in something which is also an important role in our lives, there's no gain from saying "well I'm just going to be bad at that." More than likely there's a way we can meet those needs using functions that we do have and gaining more understanding and awareness of what those functions are trying to fulfill.

I think we ENTPs are kind of fortunate in that most things can be understood through the sciences, the sciences are natural to us, and we have a drive for learning and growth.
You sound like me a lot. We need this thread stickied, emotions are worthy of discussion since they are an inferior function.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts