115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you deal with your emotions?

Good and bad.

How do you experience them? in thoughts and Physically

·
Registered
507 Posts
whenever i got stressed and tired, i'm emotionally volatile and find it hard to get my emotions in line...which sometimes end up to some conflicts. -.-

i guess meditation could help but i find it hard to stick into routine like that. anybody help?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Journaling helps me a lot. A lot of times I get stuck in a "rut" where I'm just wallowing in the emotion itself and by asking a question: "Why? Why am I feeling this way? Is it because this? Or this?" In a way, asking questions is a very helpful way to open yourself to new perspectives/venues. It also helps clarifies your thoughts and it's really the only medium where I can be honest with myself wholly. I can get to the core or cause of the problem and figure out my emotions, and make any internal adjustments necessary. It just helps too because I ponder a lot of (oftentimes silly) things and oftentimes filled with lots of weird little quirky musings.

I have a lot of happy thoughts, too, which I suppose are good emotions I tend to want to share them. What usually happens is I write down my musings and share them with those dearest to me and in a way, it's very fulfilling to have some one read them in a way I can't quite ascribe. As in, writing is my means of affecting happiness with somebody else.

However... maintaining a constant habit of journaling is another thing altogether ehehe.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
whenever i got stressed and tired, i'm emotionally volatile and find it hard to get my emotions in line...which sometimes end up to some conflicts. -.-

i guess meditation could help but i find it hard to stick into routine like that. anybody help?
There are a lot of different strategies to make oneself meditate consistently, but which one that works for you is the hard problem. Something which is always a good idea is to commit to a short-term plan, like that you will meditate for 15 min a day for a month. If you do precommit it means that it actually means something to you and that you want to change your schedule and spend time on this. It's important in your life and not just another funny idea to try out.
Also you should try to enjoy meditation instead of simply finding it to be a boring and frustrating experience. I'd recommend this video
Lastly, find a community or some people to talk to about it. Perhaps join a meditation club or get to know someone who does the same thing.

Reactions: Emeraude

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just sit down and let your body do what it does. Just trust it can deal with whatever is happening without your input. just like when you go to sleep only now you are awake. And then just observe what is changing. Thought's might come and go. your goal is to give the body a time to bring about the change. because it is not the body that got disbalanced. Body on its own knows how to bring it back and get rid of shit. So you only need to sit down in peace. YOu might notice thoughts come and go. Just try to focus on what is happening without making anything happen. And see how it works. Sometimes it is hard. Sometimes it doesnt work. And sometimes you need to do something else.... And when you are in harmony you can start working on other stuff like going through some memories and bringing that up until it resolves... Or you can just reach clarity where you know what is you and what you really want and what is not you and what is bullshit. As your internal energy changes you will become clear on all kinds of things and might get back your direction. You might also learn to let your emotions run through you in times of stress and you might also become prone to holding on to situations that can be let go on the spot in an instant. and focus on what is more important.... And it can also happen that suddenly there is no more emotional reaction to situations that bothered you... just sayin.

But how eslse do you deal with your emotions?

·
Retired Administrator
18,201 Posts
How do you deal with your emotions?

Good and bad.

How do you experience them? in thoughts and Physically
Eh...I don't always know how to deal with them. Sometimes they are too strong.

But when they are not too strong I try to think through them. Ask myself why I feel a certain way, what it means, and what I should do about it. Some situations take a very long time to work through.

I experience them in a variety of ways. Sometimes it's a feeling in my face or body. Sometimes it's through how the world around me looks. Sometimes it's through a desire to run or hide (like if the emotion is very strong I may find myself trying to mentally escape)...or feeling numb.

Right now I feel emotions as sensations in my chest and eyes. I also feel a sort of attraction to a certain feeling--sort of like being pulled there to the thoughts and memories, which elicit a mixture of emotions--some painful and some happy. So in that way, I am almost manipulating my own emotions with my imagination and memory.

Sometimes I think about something else or try something new. I feel like I'm almost always trying to deal with them, so it's a tough question for me to narrow down an answer to.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
There is this movie called "The Lion In Winter" and Henry VIII says "I could have accomplished so much more if I didn't have women in my life". I have always thought, for me, "I could have accomplished so much more if I didn't have EMOTIONS in my life".

They are buggersome lil buggers.

In my 20s, I had an interesting experience. Between full sleep and consciousness, some very interesting things have happened to me. In a semi-dreamlike state, I received communication from, well, it looked like an alien. I had absolutely NO emotions while this was happening, I was just like a pawn. No fear, no love, no panic, no sadness, no happiness. It -- was-- HEAVEN, to feel nothing.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Hm, having an anxiety disorder does not help. Before that, I dealt with them well. I think. I am more exhausted due to emotional turmoil that I had yesterday that after 15 hours of studying or remodeling a bathroom. They affect me physically, and it would be ridiculous that they don't. They make me unable to currently function, but I need to heal, so that this shock will pass. It will pass. Sleep helps. Help from others helps. Talking about why and how helps as well how to move on, what we can learn from them, from highly stressful emotional experiences. What we did learn?

Reactions: Vermilion Bird

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think I tend to bottle up intense emotions and this process can last up to a few months. During that entire time I'm very cold-blooded and things can't phase me at all.

When something very emotionally finally does happen my emotions just overflow and I retreat into my room and lock myself in.
At that point I usually cry uncontrollably for around 1-2 hours.

The moment I'm done I feel calm and much better. Everything is fine and It's pretty much like nothing happened.
Rinse and repeat.

1,239 Posts
Eh...I don't always know how to deal with them. Sometimes they are too strong.

But when they are not too strong I try to think through them. Ask myself why I feel a certain way, what it means, and what I should do about it. Some situations take a very long time to work through.

I experience them in a variety of ways. Sometimes it's a feeling in my face or body. Sometimes it's through how the world around me looks. Sometimes it's through a desire to run or hide (like if the emotion is very strong I may find myself trying to mentally escape)...or feeling numb.

Right now I feel emotions as sensations in my chest and eyes. I also feel a sort of attraction to a certain feeling--sort of like being pulled there to the thoughts and memories, which elicit a mixture of emotions--some painful and some happy. So in that way, I am almost manipulating my own emotions with my imagination and memory.

Sometimes I think about something else or try something new. I feel like I'm almost always trying to deal with them, so it's a tough question for me to narrow down an answer to.
Do you sometimes feel like you're in a movie when you have a strong emotion, because I feel like you might as I am similar to what you mentioned in this

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I try to sit with the emotions; I try to explore any mental images conjured up and see what that tells me about how I feel. I try not to label how I'm feeling but use the imagery. Then I use the bible and (separately) contemporary thought to add questions and insights. And I accept that I have a lot of processing to do from my past.

Sometimes I get scared but I know I have to push on with this. Life is a journey and I want to grow up before I grow old. Friends are awesome too, they are a huge help. Once I've got something that I can describe even as an image then I can talk about it to trusted people.

Learning to be me and finding out who I am is so hard and so worth it.

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
Retired Administrator
18,201 Posts
Do you sometimes feel like you're in a movie when you have a strong emotion, because I feel like you might as I am similar to what you mentioned in this
EDIT:

When I first wrote this, I said I wasn't that familiar with that feeling. But when I thought about it more, I got some different ideas.

I am familiar with a sort of disassociation that can feel a little bit like that. When I get hurt I sometimes have a sort of detached feeling, where I am not really there. I wouldn't say it is so much like watching a movie, but just like being absent...or perhaps only hanging onto the self by a string.

Someone described it well, as if part of my self flees because it can't handle whatever is happening in the immediate situation. It happened a while back and I was just sort of trying to cling to memories to be able to feel myself again...but I can't because I'm not all there in that moment.

I also found that I sometimes compartmentalize emotions as well as memories. It's gotten a lot better since I left my ex over three years ago, but it was shocking to discover that involuntary coping mechanism messing with my memory (the drinking didn't help either).

So...that's what I am reminded of. Involuntary disassociation...I am not sure if that's what you are describing though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I tend to bottle up intense emotions and this process can last up to a few months. During that entire time I'm very cold-blooded and things can't phase me at all.

When something very emotionally finally does happen my emotions just overflow and I retreat into my room and lock myself in.
At that point I usually cry uncontrollably for around 1-2 hours.

The moment I'm done I feel calm and much better. Everything is fine and It's pretty much like nothing happened.
Rinse and repeat.
So after all INTJ's also can experience this kind of rage too.

1,239 Posts
EDIT:

When I first wrote this, I said I wasn't that familiar with that feeling. But when I thought about it more, I got some different ideas.

I am familiar with a sort of disassociation that can feel a little bit like that. When I get hurt I sometimes have a sort of detached feeling, where I am not really there. I wouldn't say it is so much like watching a movie, but just like being absent...or perhaps only hanging onto the self by a string.

Someone described it well, as if part of my self flees because it can't handle whatever is happening in the immediate situation. It happened a while back and I was just sort of trying to cling to memories to be able to feel myself again...but I can't because I'm not all there in that moment.

I also found that I sometimes compartmentalize emotions as well as memories. It's gotten a lot better since I left my ex over three years ago, but it was shocking to discover that involuntary coping mechanism messing with my memory (the drinking didn't help either).

So...that's what I am reminded of. Involuntary disassociation...I am not sure if that's what you are describing though.
I don't think so

But that's interesting all the same! :)

1,239 Posts
EDIT:

In fact I'll describe the movie thing more. When I have a strong emotion then I don't feel completely like I'm seeing the world through my own eyes, more like I'm seeing it as if I was watching myself in a film. So like I would imagine different camera angles and the colour ambience of the film and a song would pop into my head that would fit the theme of my mood, or I'd create a tune in my head to fit it. And sometimes in the film I'd be somewhere else so if its a bad emotion I'd be running through streets in black and white or if its a good emotion I'd be in some grassy hilly area.

But now that I've written that maybe this is just like you said a dissociation, but I'm escaping to my creative day dreams idk

·
Retired Administrator
18,201 Posts
In fact I'll describe the movie thing more. When I have a strong emotion then I don't feel completely like I'm seeing the world through my own eyes, more like I'm seeing it as if I was watching myself in a film. So like I would imagine different camera angles and the colour ambience of the film and a song would pop into my head that would fit the theme of my mood, or I'd create a tune in my head to fit it. And sometimes in the film I'd be somewhere else so if its a bad emotion I'd be running through streets in black and white or if its a good emotion I'd be in some grassy hilly area.

But now that I've written that maybe this is just like you said a dissociation, but I'm escaping to my creative day dreams idk

Thanks for describing that. That sounds so interesting and creative. Do you feel like it helps you to understand your emotions?

I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's causing you problems. It does sound kind of like a creative daydream way of interpreting your emotions with a narrative.

1,239 Posts
Thanks for describing that. That sounds so interesting and creative. Do you feel like it helps you to understand your emotions?

I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's causing you problems. It does sound kind of like a creative daydream way of interpreting your emotions with a narrative.
Yes I think so, like I also sometimes imagine interviews or conversations with people about my emotions, so yeah I suppose it's all just contextualising my emotions. I think I explained it badly but I think you get the jist, its like daydreams I get with strong emotions that feels very dramatic and 'film-like'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts