Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel as though sometimes people point to Fe and say, "That's empathy."

Which confuses me dreadfully.

I'm one to over analyze things to the point of insanity, so whenever somebody says that I begin to doubt me ENFP-ness. Which is silly because I can't see myself in any other way. I wonder if other ENFPs can relate. I don't think empathy is restricted to being an "Fe" thing. I think people get confused because people who use Fe are described as picking up on other peoples' emotions.

But I do that too. A lot. What about you guys? Would you say this is more "empathy" than anything else? Also, would you consider yourself to be somebody who feels great empathy towards other people?

For me, I easily pick up on what other people are feeling... and that in turn makes me feel for them. It's as though I soak it up. The so-called "put yourself in the other person's shoes". It stretches to many different things. Empathy can make it very hard to "hate" a person. I find it easy to forgive other people because I know why they did it - because they felt a certain way. Of course, this can also get me into some bad situations. O_O

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I could've written this post!

To me, empathy is imagining myself in someone else's shoes. This can be so powerful for me that I can feel emotional pain for someone as if it were me experiencing what they are...of course, I'm sure it's not as strong as the true pain they are experiencing. I also analyze everything and I've noticed that as I've gotten older, if something doesn't make logical sense, I cannot believe it. I have wondered if I'm ENTP because I use a lot of Ti and I can relate to the ENTP profile; however, I also relate to the ENFP profile.

This is the conclusion I am coming to about myself...I am balanced. I relate to Ne and Ni, Fi and Fe, Te and Ti, Si and Se...there is not one function I cannot identify with...it's just some have a slight preference over the other. I do know that I have definitely always been Ne Dom, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Empathy = projecting how you would feel if you were the other person
Sympathy = feeling concern or compassion for the other person

Introverted Feeling is centered around the individual. When an Fi type considers another person's wellbeing, it's typically done in the form of empathy. There can be sympathy as well, especially if having concern for others is one of the individual's chief values.

Extraverted Feeling is centered around relationships. When an Fe Type considers another person's wellbeing, it's often done in the form of sympathy. However, Fe types with strong Introverted Intuition have very strong empathy due to their natural propensity to see patterns and make projections.

So, interestingly, all NF types show strong empathy. The NP's and the NJ's simply arrive at it through different means. The difference between Fe and Fi sympathy and empathy only becomes apparent when Introverted Intuition is a much smaller factor. For example, compare ESFJ's and ESFP's. ESFJ's are the living embodiment of sympathy, however, they are lacking in the empathy department. ESFP's can put themselves in your shoes and really feel for you. On the other hand though, they struggle to consider how the consequences of their actions will affect others.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
@Enfpleasantly That's pretty much exactly how I feel most of the time. It's really confusing, especially with so many people saying how it's impossible to use those other functions naturally. After finally understanding Fi vs. Fe, I know that Fi is my second highest function, first if I'm in introvert mode. (Thanks, 6w7! Love you, too.) I still use Ti quite a bit and that's definitely frustrating as sometimes it feels like I don't fit into either category. Oh well, life goes on haha.

Reactions: Enfpleasantly

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Fi = empathy = I feel your emotional pain along with you. I see it from your perspective. I internalize your emotional state.

Fe = sympathy = I feel concern for your emotional state. I am concerned with your well-being. I do not internalize your emotional state.
Hmmm...I'm definitely Fi but I trend more towards sympathy than empathy.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
But your Fi is buried, so it won't be such a clear difference between empathy and sympathy.
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. I always am confused about Fi vs. Fe.
Quite simply, Fi --> Weight on internal values and feelings. Fe --> Weight on external values. Consensus feelings. And yes, it can be hard to draw the line between the two even though they are vastly different.

·
MOTM Mar 2012
613 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Sure, the lower your function gets, the more monolithic it becomes.

And since you are
Te
Si
Ne
Fi

Your Fi is the most basic function you have. Dominant is most sophisticated and Inferior is the least sophisticated.

This is an interesting link for your type about Fi: http://personalitycafe.com/estj-articles/95934-form-inferior-function-fi.html#post2400848
Credit to Enfpleasantly, of course
That doesn't explain what I was asking about.

What I want to know is why you say there "won't be such a clear difference between empathy and sympathy" for a Fi user. Why will the difference between empathy and sympathy by hazy? If it's because I use Fi the least out of my core JCFs, explain how smaller usage relates to the lack of clear difference.

Reactions: MuChApArAdOx

·
Registered
9,800 Posts

What I want to know is why you say there "won't be such a clear difference between empathy and sympathy" for a Fi user. Why will the difference between empathy and sympathy by hazy? If it's because I use Fi the least out of my core JCFs, explain how smaller usage relates to the lack of clear difference.
I would like to know that answer too. Regardless of where Fi / Fe falls in the 4 top functions, how they will filer and gather is the same process for each( separate ) function. So no, having smaller usage shouldn't effect you seeing a clear difference, as the process itself never changes, only the preference for usage.

Personally i relate to empathy. I can and do use sympathy for really personal situations. EX...a friend has lost her Mother through death. It has to be really personal though. I can't have sympathy for things that happen to all of us daily, things that people can change if they choose too, yet don't, i just can't. Empathy comes easy and natural.

Reactions: Coburn

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Blocklos - While Fi may be more inclined towards empathy and Fe more inclined towards sympathy, I think those things aren't restricted like that. Those who use Ti and Te, for instance, can be empathetic and sympathetic.

On that subject, though, why do you connect Fi with empathy?

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I would like to know that answer too. Regardless of where Fi / Fe falls in the 4 top functions, how they will filer and gather is the same process for each( separate ) function. So no, having smaller usage shouldn't effect you seeing a clear difference, as the process itself never changes, only the preference for usage.
I'm not sure about how it would feel more like sympathy vs. empathy. Maybe those who have it as an inferior function aren't able to define or even feel the difference between empathy and sympathy as distinctly as Fi Dom, auxiliary, tert, users.

I read that in Te doms where Fi is inferior, the function is much more related to emotional response. It further explained that these emotions can feel very unclear to the Te Dom.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I'm not sure about how it would feel more like sympathy vs. empathy. Maybe those who have it as an inferior function aren't able to define or even feel the difference between empathy and sympathy as distinctly as Fi Dom, auxiliary, tert, users.

I read that in Te doms where Fi is inferior, the function is much more related to emotional response. It further explained that these emotions can feel very unclear to the Te Dom.
Yes you're right maybe they can't make that correlation of the two, although the process itself doesn't change, that is the point i was trying to make :) I don't attach Fi with feeling , maybe that is why i see it more clear as a process over emotion. Fi itself isn't an emotion, its a filtering and sorting center that allows us to process before extending an emotion. Maybe this will make no sense, although its very clear in my mind. I can't explain it near as good as some have , although this is what i have understood and confirmed about Fi.

I'm sure where it sits in terms of usage will make it more difficult to understand, although it won't change how its used. I do understand also that it isn't easy, because having Si as the most unlikely used in my functions confuses me at times too.

Reactions: Enfpleasantly

·
MOTM Mar 2012
613 Posts

Because with your feeling function so low, you don't use it and therefore it's more like a sledgehammer. Sympathy and empathy are so close to begin with that it may require a smaller hammer. So you engage your Feeling function, swing the sledgehammer and afterwards while you are looking at the pieces you wonder, 'Was that sympathy or empathy. Seems like both'

- While Fi may be more inclined towards empathy and Fe more inclined towards sympathy, I think those things aren't restricted like that. Those who use Ti and Te, for instance, can be empathetic and sympathetic.

On that subject, though, why do you connect Fi with empathy?
But people with Ti and Te still have Fi and Fe, do they not?

I connect Fi with empathy because empathy is internal. It doesn't mean Fi users are never moved to sympathy.

I connect Fe with sympathy because sympathy is external. It doesn't mean Fe users don't ever experience empathy.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Yes you're right maybe they can't make that correlation of the two, although the process itself doesn't change, that is the point i was trying to make :) I don't attach Fi with feeling , maybe that is why i see it more clear as a process over emotion. Fi itself isn't an emotion, its a filtering and sorting center that allows us to process before extending an emotion. Maybe this will make no sense, although its very clear in my mind. I can't explain it near as good as some have , although this is what i have understood and confirmed about Fi.

I'm sure where it sits in terms of usage will make it more difficult to understand, although it won't change how its used. I do understand also that it isn't easy, because having Si as the most unlikely used in my functions confuses me at times too.
No, you make perfect sense! I need to find the article, but it also said that while inferior Fi creates more of an emotional response in the Te dom (usually very unclear to them), it is a refined value system for Fi dom/aux users. I'll go look for the article...

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Because with your feeling function so low, you don't use it and therefore it's more like a sledgehammer. Sympathy and empathy are so close to begin with that it may require a smaller hammer. So you engage your Feeling function, swing the sledgehammer and afterwards while you are looking at the pieces you wonder, 'Was that sympathy or empathy. Seems like both'
That makes absolutely no sense. My Fi is not a sledgehammer and I certainly don't smash whatever I apply my Fi to to pieces. I also don't suffer the question of whether or not I used sympathy or empathy. In my original post I stated that I trended towards sympathy rather than empathy. It was you who said the differentiation was unclear due to it being my inferior function.

You are making assumptions about my usage of Fi rather than providing a framework that explains your reasoning.

But people with Ti and Te still have Fi and Fe, do they not?

I connect Fi with empathy because empathy is internal. It doesn't mean Fi users are never moved to sympathy.

I connect Fe with sympathy because sympathy is external. It doesn't mean Fe users don't ever experience empathy.
Okay, so your decision about which to apply is more guts and guess than logic or theory.

And I did not say I never experienced empathy. I said I trended towards sympathy, which contradicted your claim that Fi = empathy and Fe = sympathy.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
@MuChApArAdOx I can't find the article I read earlier, but this is a similar bit from the one Blocklos mentioned:

"Effective dominant Introverted Feeling types use a finely developed awareness of their inner values as a reliable guide for judging themselves and others. In the grip of inferior Introverted Feeling, Extraverted Thinking types become hypersensitive to their own and others emotions, often misinterpreting comments from others as personal criticism. In their dominant approach, they typically interpret objectively offered criticism by respected colleagues as an appropriate means to promote excellence. In the grip of their inferior Introverted Feeling, they may easily take offense and overreact to such criticism."

So for Te doms, Fi is more about emotions than values because it is not as refined.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts