Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ still fits least bad
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you find that you're actually a rather empathetic person, only you don't necessarily always feel compelled to act on it, because you realize some people simply have created their own problems?
I empathize with people that don't know better than to live a miserable life, but I know a lot of such people I wouldn't actually help unless they showed signs that they were willing to make improvements.
I help my mom as much as possible, even though I know she causes a lot of her own problems by thinking with her heart and not her head,but that's different. To an extent, I know as her child, I have some obligation to help her. Also, I don't send her money unless I'm okay with the idea of never seeing it again. I feel bad for a lot of the Twitter people who have no life and feel compelled to try to get people fired because they don't agree with them on everything. But it doesn't stop me from thinking their a bunch of miserable jerks who need serious help and should probably be banned from the internet.

Just curious on your thoughts on empathy, and, if you do empathise with people, how much of a priority is such a feeling in your thought process/decision making process, all things being equal.

·
Registered
INFP
966 Posts
a lot of such people I wouldn't actually help unless they showed signs that they were willing to make improvements.
Exact sentiments. "When an egg is broken from the outside, life ends. When an egg is broken from the inside, life begins."

·
Registered
INTJ
929 Posts
My good intentions most of the time are rooted in the desire to fix people, to see them thrive, realize their potential, overcome their struggles. Or when I want to protect them from something bad.
I may go a bit too far in doing something good because, in the end, I want to achieve real tangible good results if I decide to commit. I may probably feel "responsible" for someone.

But I don't feel bad for them, it is something alien and mostly useless to me with a few exceptions.
Empathy is worthless by itself unless it translates into reasonable actions with the intent to improve someone's life, in my opinion. I think it might even impair the decision-making process.

UDP: After a bit more consideration, I think I feel (sic) things for others and generally I like humans. But I may realize this only after some while, when all is said and done.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
I used to write looooong messeges online on some forums or private letters allmost all the time to people if I got the chance when I was in my late twenties to help parents with kids who had ADHD but as I got in my early thirties I realized that I kept writing much of the same things over and over and even though some people thanked me I was wondering if it was worth it and I felt exhaused as I had so many other things to take care of back then so I allmost stopped. Besides I often got so mad when I read how cruel some of them treated their children that I allmost sat on my hands sometimes out of anger and frustration. After all I had no clinical authority, very little official competance or a degree, just a lot of personal experience. I also started setting more limits for my self after therapy and an assertiveness course I took. I felt like it was not just a drop in the ocean but more like a molecular drop in a zillion oceans, the little change I made in this world. I often feel horrible for people but I don't know how to help them. But then I learnt that one person can't save the world alone, and if people helped those closest around them then everypne should rheoreticly have someone to help them or someghing like that. Unfortunetly that is just not possible because things like accidents, poverty, injustice, distance etc. But I have desided to allways try to take care of my child as best as I can and I try to help my other family members too now and again at least.

·
Registered
INTJ8w9⭐⭐⭐⭐🌀💙💙💙💙💙🖤🖤🖤🖤💜💜
171 Posts
My thought process is sympathy then empathy, my mind prefers Fi over Fe, by this I mean I will be incredibly aware of my own feelings and values, and will in turn realize how to treat others based on my own perceptions of myself and I think that's how emotions work in general. So I will be good to those who are good to me, but I will not respect those who don't respect me. I also feel deep empathy when I see people suffer and work to ensure that every person has the freedom to be authentically themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts