Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was reading through the INFJ forum (well, a thread on it), and a particular part of it struck me as interesting. I shall quote it...

1. Deep empathy: Contrary to popular opinion deep empathy actually works against us when it comes to the homeless. Ni backed with Fe means that when we look into a homeless person's eyes we feel what they feel. All their deep inner turmoil, pain, confusion, loneliness, and hurt gets picked up by us and we feel it in our heart and soul. This affects us greatly and it can disturb our inner peace. Most of us get pretty stressed out easily. That, on top of the fact that we are already a listening ear for many of our family and friends. We carry all these problems in our heart already, and the emotional overload from a homeless person may just be enough to tip us out of balance.
So, while I don't agree that Fe=empathy really, it seems the best function in the INFJ stack to explain this. Which leads me to ask the people with it in the same place the same question

Do you viscerally feel everything others feel?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I can, if I let myself go there. I'm sensitive to facial expression and feel a deep empathy towards those who are hurting. Si backed with Fe wants to help through specific and concrete action. I can look at a photo in a news story and immediately feel sympathy or empathy for a grieving or hurting person. I can easily put myself in a friend's or a stranger's place and identify with their pain. Viscerally is a good word, sometimes it's like a gut punch. There's a certain limit to this kind of feeling though. I will shut out or shut down to avoid feeling too much, stop reading stories that tug at my emotions and stop thinking about painful situations others are in. It's kind of a self protection thing and isn't meant to be callous or cruel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
With Si, we pick up on the details that others might miss, and because it takes sensation and internalizes it, to a degree, its as if we are physically experiencing it ourselves. Fe is not the reason we can experience what others feel, its because ISFJs and INFJs are both dominant Introverted Perceivers. Fe merely provides the motivation for our values based on what we perceive and the context for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with 1st response here the most. The only ones I cant empathize with are those who withhold and internalize their feelings strongly. I can't connect with dominant Fi people. And I am open to the homeless a lot...

·
Registered
503 Posts
If I watch a sad movie or one of those "save the starving children" commercials I can feel empathy. Actually, I like to watch sad movies on occasion when I want to feel sad.

For real life scenarios, I tend to dislike "Feeling" (mirror neurons I think) what other people are feeling. It makes me uncomfortable to see someone cry. I get anxious if a guest speaker comes up and looks anxious. And for that reason...I don't have a lot of patience lol. I think it may be because I grew up in a family that values stoicism?

I tend to try to keep a groups mood up so I don't have to deal with it. :p

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Everything? No.

I have to agree that Introverted Sensing plays a substantial part. INFP have tertiary Si and are definitely empathic in a slightly different way from ISFJ. The INFP expression of sympathy feels very much like empathy, from my experiences.

I'm always keenly aware that my own emotional state is based on personal response, changing the interplay of the moment from "she" or "he" or "they" into "we". It becomes a shared experience where I step outside of myself a bit. I may have initially reacted based on personal things, but I need to set my personal feelings aside and understand exactly where the other person is coming from. That's where the objectivity of Extraverted Feeling steps in. I suspend my own reaction just enough to let other information blend in with my instinctive response.

One thing I'll definitely say is that if I get even a hint that someone is trying to manipulate me with their emotional display I will crank down my receptivity. It's a balancing act of paying keen attention to what a person is not saying as much as saying. I think, also, Extraverted Feeling helps with that objectivity. I can spot role-playing if I'm careful enough to not get entirely lost in a moment. Any sign of disingenuous expression and I might very well be feeling exactly what the other person is feeling- that they're trying to play me. A person would almost have to completely "forget their self" to be fully, honestly vulnerable with me (because they're being fully, honestly vulnerable with their self first and foremost).

I'm typically so busy analyzing a person as second nature even if my attention appears to be on something else, that maybe my enneagram type is hella influential on whether or not I feel anything at all toward another person. Maybe it's being type 5 that makes it easier for me to emotionally distance myself. Probably.

I'm rather clueless about the origins and expressions of INFJ empathy, I have to admit. I need some schooling on that.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So, I was reading through the INFJ forum (well, a thread on it), and a particular part of it struck me as interesting. I shall quote it...

So, while I don't agree that Fe=empathy really, it seems the best function in the INFJ stack to explain this. Which leads me to ask the people with it in the same place the same question

Do you viscerally feel everything others feel?
No. Mostly, for me, empathy is somewhat blocked for in-person meetings. Not difficult for Ni to handle. Still pick up quite a bit, though. Really, I'm usually more open in chats or when reading postings online.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm an Empath so yeah I feel everything from others. Literally. Like if somebody is happy, I take on their happiness. If there's a news program on about some catastrophic event, I actually feel the people dying. This skill of mine can happen without regard to distance or time. One time I got the feeling that a cousin of mine was having anxiety about money. She lived hundreds of miles away from me. The next day she was on Facebook saying how she had no money and was selling all of her belongings on Facebook for cash. Yup.

Reactions: Leninalovesu

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
546 Posts
Yes I usually feel what other people are feeling. If someone is hurting, I usually end up getting hurt in the end. I try to help people and sometimes there emotions affects me so much that I need a break from people sometimes. When someone is happy, I'm usually really happy. I usually avoid the news cause whenever I hear something bad happening in the world, it tends to bother me for the rest of the day. It's something that won't leave my mind if I hear something horrible happening to someone so much cause I care so much. I've always been an emotional person and sometimes I feel too much, that I end up falling apart and crying.

·
Registered
442 Posts

If I'm emotionally involved with someone, I've been told I can get extremely creepy.
I have been able to feel and copy emotions from someone and be able to finish entire sentences for them If I'm invested enough.

A particular example of whom I can read like a book is my fiancee.
After just a week or so of only dating, we were having dinner together and going by how she was sitting, looking and speaking to me I knew exactly, word for word, what she was going to say to me, the length of it equal to what I've written up to this point.
And in this instance I don't mean finishing a sentence, I meant starting one for her she was thinking about.

There have been a multitude of other examples, even on the bus with a complete stranger, where I said to him 'well, I think you look just fine', and he confessed he was struggling with the way he looked (while nothing was obviously wrong with his appearance).
I don't do this kind of stuff often with people I don't know because I don't know how it will be perceived. In fact, this particular stranger was an isolated case.

It gets increasingly harder with most T types.
For instance, I have a harder time reading an INTP and ENTP friend of mine than I have with ENFP's, ISFP's or other ISFJ's.
When I'm dealing with an F type recruiter for a job, it's usually very easy for me to get hired because I'm able to attune myself to his mood and feelings and win him/her over by conversation alone.

These same reasons are why I would be a terrible cop in my country (I applied for the Academy), since I could possibly and literally tear a rapist limb from limb when caught in the act or beat the living shit out of someone who beats his wife and/or children.
I have a chronic allergy for seeing people making other people suffer, because seeing, hearing, smelling and thus feeling another's pain makes me outrageously furious. (Yes, I've once smelled pain, it has a close resemblance to the smell of iron, putrescine and cadaverine.)

It's why I don't watch the news anymore, I really get the urge to set some politicians on fire.

On a positive note, I am pretty great at parties, because I'm so heavily attuned to everyone's emotions that I'm usually able to get everyone involved.

Sometimes I wish I could turn it off without repercussions, and I have tried, the results were not satisfactory.
I can and will become an insensitive dick, compromised to use only rational thinking, arrogant, stubborn and in some rare cases, even aggressive or violent.

TL;DR:
Yes, a thousand and one time yes.
It's both a boon and a burden, but it would more likely be a boon if I managed to have better control of my own feelings.

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
Empathy is experienced the same way with everybody. Differences come in determining what you empathize with, both by your available data that you perceive (Si, Se, Ni, Ne) and by how involved you want to be (Ti, Te, Fi, Fe). Te and Fe would absolutely be more involved in the other person than Ti and Fi. Si and Ni would have more data than Se and Ne to empathize with. Since we all have one extraverted perceiving, one introverted perceiving, one extraverted judging, and one introverted judging function - we all experience empathy similarly.

Reactions: Trigun64
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.