Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else sick of the constant post-apocalyptic futures and those god-damn zombies?

And alien zombie replacements can fuck off as well!

What is with peoples fascination of these things?

Can we not have a future where things haven't gone to shit?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I'm going to go the Joseph Campbell route and say that we are creating these destruction/hero myths because society has no universal mythological-type heroes to look up to in the real world. Zombies are the new Wild West.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Anyone else sick of the constant post-apocalyptic futures and those god-damn zombies?

Because people have to be polite and nice in society. Complete chaos is an excellent excuse to adapt and pit yourself against the elements and human nature. Everything is so orderly in the western world. Where is the exciting adventure that is basic survival?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I romanticize the apocalypse.. it'll be like, finally I can rollerblade through the mall.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Because people have to be polite and nice in society. Complete chaos is an excellent excuse to adapt and pit yourself against the elements and human nature. Everything is so orderly in the western world. Where is the exciting adventure that is basic survival?
So go live life as an African child!

·
Registered
8,689 Posts

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
I love a good zombie movie. Unfortunately they have cheapened zombie movies to the point where I'm rapidly losing interest.

I've found that a good zombie movie (IMHO of course) resembles "Robinson Crusoe". The main character(s) are thrust into an extreme event that shatters their former lives. They have to learn to survive in the (urban) wild while surrounded by cannibals or some other constant threat. Eventually they adapt and start to rebuild their society. Ultimately, however, the challenges of forming a new society become the real fight the survivors must endure.

The best stories are about how the survivors survive and what they find out about themselves, not the zombies.

-ZDD

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

I LOVE Walking Dead...but I see it more as a show about how people work together (or not) when put into a survival situation, rather than it simply being about zombies.

I couldn't agree more though that the constant talk of the Mayans, and various other prophecies is getting real old. People need to just relax! If the world's going to end, there's nothing you can do about it anyways!:dry:

Doomsday Preppers is both hilarious and tragic. To see the amount of time and money some people will spend to prevent the end they think is coming in one form or another.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
My theory is that some people have such a shitty perception of the world, and a huge view of themselves, coupled with some sort of charisma that attracts the same kinds of people - with the low self-esteem'd, creating a doomsday cult.

Sometimes they hide behind actual religions though, mostly bible quoting.

But, aside from the doomsday thing, blame it on childhood/peoples' <yes everyone> aversion [not fear] to change and the "it changed not it sucks" thing.
We like things as a kid, because we weren't as jaded back then, and we remember we love it, if you want an example re-watch/re-play a game/show you loved as a kid, after playing/watching newer shit you like.

However, the whole prepping for the end of the world thing is useful, I mean if you're ready for nukes, you're ready for tsunamis/terrorism/war.
Also, DAT EASILY STEALABLE LOOT.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic scenarios do provide a malleable setting that challenges/pushes humanity to it's limits.
I will admit that there is more than enough of these types of media in our culture. They've been a hit, so of course more similar stories will crop up. The setting is workable enough so that with the addition/subtraction of a few ideas a whole new story/universe can be brought into birth.
Adventure time, Hunger Games, Attack on Titan are all post-apocalyptic as far as I'm concerned.
It's kinda inevitable for the fad to die out soon.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts