61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Banned
17,148 Posts
205 Nietzsche: The Eternal Recurrence (1991) - Rick Roderick
Sartre once said that if you were going to tell a dying person one thing that would make them happy… And I think this is why we built – not why – there were many reasons why we did and a lot of them had to do with valorising capital. But one reason why nuclear weapons and the spectre of an apocalypse was so attractive, utopian and fascinating – and I mean all that seriously, this isn’t a joke – because, look, Hollywood made thousands of movies about apocalypses and people: “Oh, The Missiles of October, I want to see that documentary again, you know, they almost blew the world up”.

And the giddiness of apocalypse and all these movies is sort of based on a point by Sartre. If you could tell a dying person one thing that would make them happy, it’s that everybody else is dying too right now as you die. When you die, you are all going to die together. You are going to have at least that one communal experience under capitalism of all going out at once. And you’d go: “Well, geez, I gotta die, but old Bob down at the office, haha, he’s not ready”. [crowd laughter]. “He’s going too, you know”. [crowd laughter].
I do wonder if we're not the first to fantasize of our own collective death, as it seems to be the more common fantasy for people than their hope of some radical change. Obsessed with our own deaths.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The inception of an ascended mankind and at what cost--now that would be a refreshing theme in the media.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The inception of an ascended mankind and at what cost--now that would be a refreshing theme in the media.
Probably many lives.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Anyone else sick of the constant post-apocalyptic futures and those god-damn zombies?

And alien zombie replacements can fuck off as well!

What is with peoples fascination of these things?

Can we not have a future where things haven't gone to shit?
If you get eat by a zombie that not a good plan men

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Apocalyptic imagery/themes have always been popular. There's even an entire genre of ancient literature called "Apocalypses". The obsession is nothing new.

·
Beer Guardian
14,705 Posts
Anyone else sick of the constant post-apocalyptic futures and those god-damn zombies?

And alien zombie replacements can fuck off as well!

What is with peoples fascination of these things?

Can we not have a future where things haven't gone to shit?
So you've never watched Star Trek then?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think there might be a reason for it. A happy end feels more like an end compared to a negative end. If something ends in a happy manner, it doesn't leave anything for speculation, it is more of a "everything went according to a plan" type of scenario. A negative turn of events in a piece of art creates a feeling of dissatisfaction, with the question "what went wrong" arising. Also, I think, even if humans generally strive for happiness, we are very curious in nature. That's why many people are interested in art with negative scenarios, since it doesn't feel natural, therefore "unknown" and the curiosity for the unknown will always be big.

·
Registered
307 Posts
205 Nietzsche: The Eternal Recurrence (1991) - Rick Roderick

I do wonder if we're not the first to fantasize of our own collective death, as it seems to be the more common fantasy for people than their hope of some radical change. Obsessed with our own deaths.
Oh, this thought is as old as the first homo sapiens to have left a cave.I think in modern times, anyway, people are bored AF with their lives, and they need something to spike their adrenaline, like action movies do, hence the catrostophizing of the end of times ...
But with that said, we definitely ARE headed toward a sixth mass extinction. We can freak out, or we can accept it. Nothing much we can do at this point, anyway. If calculations have been correct, there should be other multiverses out there....

61 - 76 of 76 Posts