Personality Cafe banner

energy exuded, personalities of members here

[INFP] 
6K views 82 replies 44 participants last post by  esoterictimes 
#1 ·
As an INFP i "feel" a lot from my environment... was curious how you all perceive each other. for instance, are there certain members who, from their posts and opinions, you perceive a certain personality or energy from? or what have you come to associate with them when you see their icon or a post from them?

#2 ·
Mhm. Several users on this forum I've come to attach personas and indeed voices to. adverseeffects immediately comes to mind, who comes across as a soft spoken motherly figure. Just for one example.

I think an appeal to the internet that is partially exclusive to people like us is that our imaginations can fill in gaps like that with such ease that we don't even think about doing it. Helps bring all of the people, things and places to life, which makes the net all that more interesting and satisfying to explore and communicate in.

Which is another nice thing about this forum. If you or I brought up this topic to a host of other people I know they'd think us crazy, but here I am, knowing -precisely- what you mean. ^^

#9 ·
Which is another nice thing about this forum. If you or I brought up this topic to a host of other people I know they'd think us crazy, but here I am, knowing -precisely- what you mean. ^^
Yeah, from what I've seen so far, here you don't usually have to explain yourself like elsewhere, you kind of have to just say what's on your mind, and at least somebody will always get it.

BTW, on one big Finnish forum I often bumped into comments like "You know nothing about me!". I always found those comments quite funny. :laughing: I guess many people don't realize how much they reveal about themselves with what and how they write, especially in discussions that deal with relationships and that kind of stuff.

#4 ·
Yes! I think it's almost inevitable, once you get to know their writing styles and the way they respond to posts; and it helps if I can match their avatars to their posts too. For instance, I perceive IcarusDreams as someone very idealistic, comfortable and confident enough to live by his ideals. And krentz as a sort of 'contemplative seeker', looking for meaning under and above the daily routines of life. Listener seems like an intellectual examining society at large, Miss Scarlet as independent and assertive, emerald sea seems kind-hearted and thoughtful, and L sounds exactly like Detective L from Death Note (I even read his posts in L's voice).

And I'm avoiding the use of mentions, not because I want to talk behind their back, but because I feel uncomfortable summoning them just to read this. :p

#16 ·
Yes! I think it's almost inevitable, once you get to know their writing styles and the way they respond to posts; and it helps if I can match their avatars to their posts too.
/snicker. With some of the shitstorms I've managed to brew up in my short time here I'm willing to bet the voice people are attaching to me is something like a militaristic hardass. Except, once the avatar gets involved with the mix, what happens? Suppose I haven't been around long enough to make a solid impression, but the idea amuses me nonetheless.

#5 ·
Yeah sometimes you just kinda get a feel for a person after reading a bunch of their posts. Sometimes I see a thread come up with their last post, and I immediately click because I know it has a 99% chance of being on par(thoughtfull, funny, interesting, ect. depending on how I think they come off.)

I'll say this much, there are certain people I would really love to sit down and talk to for a whole night by the fireside, certain people I'd love to go to the opera with, certain people I'd love to talk religion/philosophy with, and certain poeple I'd love to just get drunk and party with. Either way, everyone on here is pretty much a badass individual.

Sometimes I'm surprised though, after reading alot of their posts to find out how young they are. I'm like REALLY!? Fuck, I wish every person that age thought like that! But yeah, lots of good people on here.

Oh and another thing, that's one of the reasons I went without an avatar for so long. I didn't want people to judge me based on my avatar, but rather on my posts and what I had to say and contribute. Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't, but I guess avatars do help make for a persona.

#6 ·
Sometimes I'm surprised though, after reading alot of their posts to find out how young they are. I'm like REALLY!? Fuck, I wish every person that age thought like that! But yeah, lots of good people on here.
Yeah, same here. I often am astounded when I read that someone is a teenager and here I was thinking they were in their mid 20's. I just assume everyone's in their mid 20's, I don't know why. Seems like a good age. :)

#7 ·
I feel a vibe from mostly everyone, in fact, if I can't feel that about someone, then I become quite uneasy because it's part of how I understand people. I rely on this intuitive sense so much, that if it were somehow ripped from me I'd feel naked.

Anyway, I don't like to name names, but since the taboo's already been broken, I'll throw a few out there.

adverseaffects: I have to say, strikes me as a very intense personality. Has a kind of edge to it, ambitious perhaps, but also observant and reflective. Someone that I feel would be undoubtedly interesting, and I admire that kind of, how would I describe it... passionate integrity?

IcarusDreams: Representative of a more traditional depiction of an INFP who has found peace within himself and enjoys living life in his own way. An individualist at heart however secure enough within himself not to reject different ways of being simply because they are different or conflict with his own.

ethylester: Gentle, yet by no means fragile; in fact, with a resilience that defies first impressions. Feels like a very calm person, sensitive and empathetic yet with the requisite maturity to ground these traits.

IAmOrangeToday: Possessed of an admirable wisdom that I would be tempted to say belies his years however upon further consideration maybe this is shortsighted of me to say. However, is expressed as quite laid back and down to earth. I daresay almost enigmatic; but not in a brooding sense.

I could go on but I feel I've said enough already :tongue: Just because I didn't mention anyone doesn't mean I have any less of an impression or that it's any more negative, just that these people came to mind first. (All have been mentioned here in fact!) I also wonder closely my impressions correlate with reality.

#11 ·
Ethylester: individuality is not a burden for her, it's a strength.. I suppose the word would be "centered". A lot of times I think infps want to apologize or fix themselves and ethylester just found what works for her, being herself, and throws away the rest. I admire self-integrity and I admire ethylester *blush*
Bromide: hahaha all I can think of is when orangeappled called bromide crusty and bromide looked it up on urban dictionary... oh man... haha. No, I love bromide. I feel that someone who knows when and when not to speak has a certain kind of draw... another version of self-integrity... (maybe that's what I like about people in general?) Also she's gorgeous. I suppose for vibe it would a beautiful garden with a high, gray, brick wall. I don't make it in the garden but I kind of wonder about it.
Iamorangetoday: someone my age searching for some of the same things I am, someone who tries to be outgoing or to belong but also wants to understand others... and may be frustrated when others don't have the same level of understanding? i feel you live a dual life, the interior and the exterior, and I can relate to that. There's a confident, thoughtful vibe, and a very polite, warm vibe too...
Kob: horny vibe*
orangeappled: the vibe is of a delicate outfit or painting or art project that is delightful to the senses but you can't touch... you wan't to get close but you don't know how.. and very striking, it is supported by its own value... if that makes sense... the difference between a piece in a museum and a show on TV.
Krentz: your vibe changed for me after I saw you speaking on one of the videod you posted. before I saw you as this gallant prince charming anime figure from your avatar xD Your vibe is hard to describe but I like it.

i would go on... but too many...

*lolz kob I'm only half kidding there's more to your than that~

#19 ·
Krentz: your vibe changed for me after I saw you speaking on one of the videod you posted. before I saw you as this gallant prince charming anime figure from your avatar xD Your vibe is hard to describe but I like it.
Oh right, those. Yeah, sorry if I disappointed you! :tongue: I do feel a little embarrassed leaving those up there, but I always get irritated at people who take theirs down and I'll be damned if I become a hypocrite. In my defense, talking aimlessly into a camera is a really strange experience.

@krentz - thank you. I am going to save your description. It's so nice!
Thanks, I'm glad you did. It's always nice to make someone feel good by being honest. I also love how this has turned into an impromptu 'make a creative observation/compliment' thread :proud:

#13 ·
It's very strange, because I do feel a vibe from posts. It's especially strange because lots of the descriptions of the energies people here have mentioned, are similar to the ones I experience. The INFP vibe is nice, that's one of the reasons I like hanging around here.

#14 · (Edited)
Since we aren't tagging people, I want to mention some folks and their "energy". If they read it, then cool.

kaleidoscope - a positive force, enthusiastic and also opinionated and not afraid to disagree with someone. I think of her as a shiny light, warm and glowing. imagine taking an actual kaleidoscope and looking through it pointed at the sun and thinking you may need sunglasses to see inside and marvel at the perfectly symmetrical patterns in the mirrors.

krentz - steady energy, thoughtful, articulate, patient, like a full moon or a weathered page of a sacred text.

Luke - quiet supporter and observer, like one of your favorite albums. Turn the album on and be reminded of why you like it so much. The energy is always there, ready to bust out in all its glory. you see the album mentioned in a magazine and you're like, "yeah that album rocks, I've been saying it all along!" That's luke.

refugee - he is the enigma, the floating spirit, wandering like a puffy cloud from thread to thread, person to person, making their jagged edges more smooth, like a fairy godmother (or godfather), giving light to people who can't see in the dark. But do we really know where he comes from or who he is? He feels like a massive conglomeration of many nations and peoples. So hard to tie him down, one blink and he's already across the street. :)

telepariah - energy from within, circulating, like a dehumidifier, taking the crap from the air and bringing it altogether into a bin so you can throw it out. whirling energy. integrity. like a tall old redwood, seen it all, not afraid to tell you, living out its noble life where it belongs, in the forest. No need to move to any other paradise. happy where I'm at.

Theodore - deep red energy. like blood or rust. beautiful formations under a microscope. What types of intricate designs can we find beneath the surface? I imagine there are many.

hmmm. I seem to be doing just the men. let's add in a lady...

Aelthwyn - grace, mystery, purity, curiosity, undoubtedly feminine, a dark goddess, wrapped in her long hair like a migrating, floating seed pod, looking for the most beautiful place to make her home. And there are so many to choose from! She finds beauty in many places. Her energy is nocturnal and deep.

That was fun. Being analogous and explaining energy is very rewarding. I should do it some more later.

#15 ·
Thank you @adverseaffects, I am keeping that description too. Locking it away so I can look at it from time to time and smile. :)

I did not describe your energy yet so I shall attempt it now.

adverseaffects - eyes. I think she has those eyes that can look at you without blinking and know exactly what you're thinking and make you feel vulnerable and understood and comforted all at the same time. She's like a ganglion (a bunch of nerve cells altogether), spreading out her tentacles and feeling around, attaching to people's feelings and giving them some kind of jolt of electricity. No one can be unfazed by her touch. She gets inside your heart and just looks around.

#25 ·
Thank you @adverseaffects, I am keeping that description too. Locking it away so I can look at it from time to time and smile. :)

I did not describe your energy yet so I shall attempt it now.

adverseaffects - eyes. I think she has those eyes that can look at you without blinking and know exactly what you're thinking and make you feel vulnerable and understood and comforted all at the same time. She's like a ganglion (a bunch of nerve cells altogether), spreading out her tentacles and feeling around, attaching to people's feelings and giving them some kind of jolt of electricity. No one can be unfazed by her touch. She gets inside your heart and just looks around.
COOLEST descrption ever
wow, this is good, I like this
wow
wow
*presses print*
wow.

#17 ·
I'm quite curious about the impression I make here, but I figure I don't show up often enough. lol.

Some of the members that strike me out the hardest here are both @ethylester and @bromide, who both look like very smart and independent women, I mean, you can see a soft side to them, but also, it's quite easy to imagine them both kicking ass. I can see that.

@Souled In is a perfect example of the guy next door, educated and cool. And has a lot of stories that you wouldn't imagine just by looking at him. @IAmOrangeToday is like the eager new student, he's very willing to learn and collaborate with everything. Probably going to grow into someone awesome. @infpblog was one of those dudes who really caught me off guard. Seriously, his avatar brings up the portrait of someone who likes gardening, tea drinking and pandas (Which is totally cool, especially pandas). But when I saw one of his posts these days I was like 'Holy cow! That guy is really well centered and knows the drill.' I mean, he's been at a lot of places in his life, and he brought wisdom, like a fuckton. I was really impressed.

I like this community.

#21 ·
Wow, now you make me wonder if I sound like a crazy berserker warrior, a thousand years-old archmage keeper of a thousand secrets that each would drive you mad, or something else. Or perhaps you hear me with Christopher Lee's voice as he tells the story on the Rhapsody album, Symphony of Enchanted Lands.

#23 ·
@adverseaffects :cool::crazy::cool::crazy::cool::crazy::cool::crazy::cool::crazy::cool::crazy:

Haha, ALSO, I totally remember about bromide being called crusty! LOL. Also, maybe my post in the writers forum will give you a different opinion...

Another thing, you're a good example of what I was talking about earlier. The things you say, I can't even believe. You are wise beyond your years for sure. And ever since Cups mentioned that we're both intense people, I've noticed that more in you as well. ,./,./,./

#26 ·
What an interesting thread topic. I find that everyone does indeed exude a unique "energy" or presence. And yes, this translates over the internet.

I would distinguish it from an impression (i.e. favorable/unfavorable), however, which develops over time as I become familiar more familiar with an individual's posts. Energy is a vibe I detect almost instantaneously; further, it lacks the evaluative or otherwise consciously appraising quality the word (at least for me) connotes.

I think flavor is a suitable analogue: the immediate experience of tasting food versus identifying and interpreting its taste after the fact.

On a semi-related note, I've often wondered to what extent a user's choice of avatar affects my perception of him/her. For almost everyone whom I recognize by username, I generally carry an accompanying image in my mind which serves as a visual representation of each poster. Often this is simply their avatars. Other times, I picture actual people. And sometimes neither.

Occasionally, I may associate multiple, discrete images images with one person, or rarely, a gestalt—a series of images, each superimposed over the preceding. I feel like this must affect me perceptually on some level. It's fun to think about. Hmm . . . .

#27 ·
I definetly expierence this with so Many Members here,I sincerly consider some of you dear friends in my head,you're all so great.
(I'm too lazy to list some people right now but in the near future I WILL make sure to :D )

This Thread makes me wonder if I ever send off any vibes :X

#28 ·
I think avatars are a part of it, even if sometimes I mistake a man for a woman and vice versa. So does writing style and advice. What I get from INFPs here is a mix of kindness, passion, and authenticity. I also like that we tell it like it is to others, even in a nice way, when we're whiny. It's just a nice place to be. :)

#29 ·
For Now:

BasementBugs: I get a Distinct Older Sister Vibe from her.

Refugee: Someone to Respect,would be a great mentor/someone to talk to.

Luke: A wise just overall cool Person.

EthyLester: Kind,Motherly,caring,sweet and it seems like she would have a great sense of Humor.

#30 · (Edited)
Yes, I do find myself forming an image or identity around certain posters. I think that's sort of inevitable, after reading a lot of a certain person's posts you begin to feel like you know them! Like @Herp, I probably don't post enough to create many impressions, but i'mma share my mine (Which are completely only opinion - you could be the opposite, but this is what I've inferred in my imaginative mind from your posts) because doing this stuff is super duper fun:

@krentz Amazing vocabulary. Seriously, the range of your vocabulary makes me jealous. Sometimes I'm reading your stuff and I have to do a double take because I do not know that word. It's frickin' amazing. And I hypothesize that you're also intelligent, thoughtful (You obviously put a lot of thought into what you write, and I love when a person is deliberate and attentive with their words. When you post on a subject you seem to really put a true and accurate part of yourself out in the world for us to see, and that's admirable), and caring. *Sigh* Oh krentz. You're awesome.

@IAmOrangeToday Gah! I love you. For one you're close to my age and you're just about as considerate, kind, self-aware and thoughtful as some people will never be. You're ahead of your time, dude. I find your level of consideration for others astounding and amazing. You also seem want to become an even better person as well, which is equally remarkable in its rarity. Like @Herp and @Luke, I think your attitude is going to make you very successful in the future, and that you're going to grow into an even more amazing person in the years to come. You're so young, and you've already got your priorities straight. I love that.

@adverseaffects To me, you seem crazy, spontaneous, and passionate. I imagine your life is this never ending run of excitement and intensity. You truly live with a fierceness and a spirit that not many people can say that they have. I love that you're not afraid to speak your mind, and that you're always super up front with your thoughts and feelings. You also seem imaginative and like you'd be an awesome person to spend a day exploring a city with, or creating art with.

@ethylester ...okay. Confession: I want to be like you when I grow up. Balanced, grounded, resilient and loving. A mother figure who exudes warmth and understanding. Someone who has been through really tough times, but who's also survived and has become a more whole person because of it. To me you are wise, mature, and wonderful, strong person who is calm, largely stable and mostly unruffled by the small stuff. Someone who has learned to believe in herself and help others believe in themselves as well.

@OrangeAppled The way you're able to effortlessly express your thoughts in a way that is both eloquent and intelligent continues to astound me. Like @krentz, your posts are always thoughtful and deliberate, and like @ethylester, I want to be like you when I grow up. I envy your writing abilities! You're definitely an individual - unique, insightful, shrewd, and (I think) sophisticated.

@Geoffrey I love you! The amount of thanks that you've given is just a testament to what a freaking cool person you are. You always have an interesting, valid view on a subject, and you put a lot of effort into your posts. You're super kind, loving, self-aware and wise. Whenever I see your posts or your thanks I'm struck again by what an awesome character you are. Did I tell you that I think you're freaking cool?

And then there are just the passing impressions, like how awesome that it seems like @dann doesn't give a shit about what people think and is super frank, or how @Mushroom seems grounded and mature. Whew! Sorry for writing a book over here. Now that I've divulged so much it's kind of embarrassing! Oh well. Love to all you unique, beautiful people. Our community is something special.

#32 · (Edited)
ethylester said:
kaleidoscope - a positive force, enthusiastic and also opinionated and not afraid to disagree with someone. I think of her as a shiny light, warm and glowing. imagine taking an actual kaleidoscope and looking through it pointed at the sun and thinking you may need sunglasses to see inside and marvel at the perfectly symmetrical patterns in the mirrors.
This made me smile so much. Thank you so much @ethylester. Ah, I don't know what to say :blushed: This really means a lot.

Alright, I have to do this since I've thought about this like a trillion times I'm sure.

@adverseaffects: I keep sensing this sort of current-like energy. She just comes and sweeps everything on her path away, with her energy and strength. At the same time, that's not really the right analogy because there's also a lot of depth and darkness to her. Whenever I see a post of her, I'm absolutely drawn to it, I have to read what she has to say.

@refugee: I agree with ethylester's description, I very much see him like a puffy cloud, floating to every thread and thanking silently. Whenever he posts, he has that quiet, soft sort of demeanor. He sticks out in his own little way, even though it doesn't seem like wanted attention. I also sense this huge aura of melancholy to him. Someone maybe damaged inside, but who still manages to be beautiful.

@ethylester: I've been trying to describe you for ten minutes now, and I can't figure out a decent analogy, because you're ever-changing, but also incredibly stable. You have so many sides to you, maternal, thoughtful,sensitive, strong, independent, sensitive, calm, fun. You're like this mixture of paradoxes that combine to form something truly beautiful.

@krentz: I see this sort of glowy, soft light whenever he posts. He has a very quiet and pensive air around him.

@KindOfBlue06: Outrageous, vivid, and intense. You can't miss his posts, because of this playful, flirtateous energy he seems to carry around everywhere. I think of him as this ball of fire, mesmerizing but at the same time, I don't want to get too close and get burned :tongue:

@Somniorum: Dark, but at the same time, approachable and lighthearted. I'm not sure how he manages to do that, but he has this mix of playfullness and obscurity that is quite intriguing to say the least.

@Disfigurine: I think of you in deep, rich, dark red tones. Maybe with a velvety texture that gives off an aura of sensuality.

@Lachesis: I would be cheating if I talked about your energy, because I know so much about you now. At first though, I saw you in brushstrokes of subtle colors, mostly white and blue; white for purity and innocence, blue for melancholy. Now that I'm getting to know you, I see so many more colors, beautiful shades and undertones, much much more than the rainbow could ever contain.

I'll edit if I think of anymore :)

#33 ·
Definitely.

@refugee - I can't say how many likes or just small comments I've gotten from you that have just made my day, even for a little while. I think of you as someone who's very gentle, mature, and likes the fly on the wall, peering down on the rest of us in elegance.

@susurration - I miss you. I wish I knew where you went :( The very mature one. Anything posted I would read and was always just.. insightful. I see susurration as an elder somewhat and now his time has passed..

#60 ·
@susurration - I miss you. I wish I knew where you went :( The very mature one. Anything posted I would read and was always just.. insightful. I see susurration as an elder somewhat and now his time has passed..
She is sorely missed!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.