Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The different Enneagram types have a very distinguishing effect on how ENFJs manifest their personalities. Each Enneagram type creates a different type of ENFJ. This is because each Enneagram type affects how the ENFJ uses their Fe.

First, let's define Fe. At it's core, Fe is simply Feeling and Extraversion.

Those who prefer feeling tend to come to decisions by associating or empathizing with the situation, looking at it 'from the inside' and weighing the situation to achieve, on balance, the greatest harmony, consensus and fit, considering the needs of the people involved.
Myers-Briggs literature uses the terms extraversion and introversion as Jung first used them, and preserves the original spelling of extraversion. Extraversion means "outward-turning" and introversion means "inward-turning."[17] These specific definitions vary somewhat from the popular usage of the words.

The preferences for extraversion and introversion are often called as attitudes. Briggs and Myers recognized that each of the cognitive functions can operate in the external world of behavior, action, people, and things (extraverted attitude) or the internal world of ideas and reflection (introverted attitude). The MBTI assessment sorts for an overall preference for one or the other.
When we combine these factors, the result is something much more encompassing than the simple factor of “caring about people”, which is honestly a misnomer based on the misinterpretation of the use of the word 'extroversion'. Jung’s definition is spelled 'extraversion' to make the distinction between social attitude and mental perspective.

The definition of Fe is much broader than that, and is more literally “Feeling based reasoning oriented outwardly”.

That being the case, how each of us manifests our Fe is strongly influenced by our Enneagram type. While MBTI type indicates perspective, Enneagram indicates our motivations. For ENFJs, this means Enneagram type will flavor the focus of our Fe because our outward feelings are influenced by our motivations.

Type 1 – In this type, Fe manifests most strongly as a sense of right and wrong, how things should be. In this type, we see Fe’s drive to control the user’s environment and apply ideological truth more so than Fe’s desire to care about others. Type 1 ENFJs are commonly 1w2.

Type 2 – This is the most common type for ENFJs, and therefore it’s no surprise that with this type, Fe manifests as a care and concern for others. Because this combination is so common, a lot of the standard description of ENFJs includes Enneagram Type 2 sensibilities. If you’re a different Enneagram type, this will explain why some of the ENFJ description isn’t quite accurate for you.

Type 3 – Fe manifests as a sense of how things should be, and creates the drive to make them so. There is also an expectation of others’ reaction, as well as a clear sense of where the individual should be socially. Type 3 ENFJs are commonly 3w2.

Type 4 – Fe manifests as a sense of how things should be both for the individual as well as their environment in a rather self oriented manner, insisting on aesthetics, conventions, and their unique tastes. These ENFJs can be very elitist and feel very passionately about these things. Type 4 ENFJs tend to have a notably strong Ni that can often confuse them with INFJs or INFPs.

Type 5 – These ENFJs are quite rare, but when they manifest as type 5s, these ENFJs feel very strongly about what they know to be correct and incorrect, as well as their need to be useful to the people they care about. Type 5 ENFJs often have a strong Ti.

Type 6 – These ENFJs manifest their Fe in a balanced mix of concern for others, their social status, security, loyalty, ideology, and their physical environment. This is a less common Enneagram type for ENFJ, but is actually the most balanced use of Fe, focusing on everything Fe is used for rather evenly.

Type 7 – Fe manifests itself in a whirlwind of care for others through the need for fun. These ENFJs are the life of the party. While other Type 7s can be very self serving in their pursuit of fun, excitement, and happiness, ENFJ 7s use their Fe to make sure everyone else is having fun too. In a way, ENFJ 7s are much like lively 2s.

Type 8
– These ENFJs primarily manifest Fe’s need for right and wrong and to control their environment because of a need for justice in an unjust world. Fe’s sense of how things should be includes self sufficiency, strength of character, and independence, which can seem paradoxical to Fe’s standard definition. ENFJ 8s almost always have a strong Se and are often 8w9s.

Type 9 – Fe manifests as a desire for harmony in the environment through Fe’s sense of how things should be. For an ENFJ 9, things should be harmonious. Right and wrong, caring for others, and control of the environment are also important, but are secondary to the imperative for harmony. ENFJ 9s are often 9w1s.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Interesting insight Nobleheart. Have you met ENFJs of all nine types?. Could you please make an enneagram and wings description for the ENFJ? At any time... don't feel pressured! :laughing:

It looks that type 8 and type 1 enneagrams have quite similar points of view, if not exactly the same. Both view the world as a flawed place that can never be the way it is, since the 8 sees it as unjust and the 1 as wrong. And they have quite a good knowledge of their ideals, and they will not hesitate to put them into practice, while becoming abrasive. It's a defensive point of view with defensive actions. Nobleheart, what other things make the 8 and 1 ENFJ difference besides the Se in the 8?

About my enneagram, it's between 6w5, 3w4, 3w2 and 1w2. Ultimately I've been scoring very high on type 6. I've seen than I'm a very naive person and I haven't depeloped a good social shrewdness with a good practical mind. I think that these traits are necessary to suceed and perform well in this world, and I will be much less harmed. All people use you, and some will not care if they manipulate you for exploding ends, I must be aware of this harm. That's why I try very hard to get into situations that will train myself into correcting these traits of mine. And anxiety appears at every minute, to know how to do things well. Once I have corrected these traits, I will feel more secure and able to make much bigger things for me and my people.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting insight Nobleheart. Have you met ENFJs of all nine types?. Could you please make an enneagram and wings description for the ENFJ? At any time... don't feel pressured! :laughing:
I see no need to do this since I've described the types in detail. I've met several 2s, another 8, some 9s, 1s, and a few others. Everything I've written is based on bother personal experience and extrapolation of pattern. It really doesn't take a whole lot to take the two patterns and mentally overlap them for the outcome of what they combine into once you see the original patterns. I only put them together here to show how to do it. You can do it. :)

It looks that type 8 and type 1 enneagrams have quite similar points of view, if not exactly the same. Both view the world as a flawed place that can never be the way it is, since the 8 sees it as unjust and the 1 as wrong. And they have quite a good knowledge of their ideals, and they will not hesitate to put them into practice, while becoming abrasive. It's a defensive point of view with defensive actions. Nobleheart, what other things make the 8 and 1 ENFJ difference besides the Se in the 8?
Now that I look at it, you're right. The descriptions of 1 and 8 are similar. Both types rely mostly upon Fe's sense of how things should be, but they do so from different perspectives. 1's are reacting to themselves. 8s are reacting to the world around them. Allow me to clarify a bit.

1's Fe is concerned with how things should be for the sake of right and wrong, because they fear being defective, corrupt, or evil. The 1's sense of how things should be comes from an internal directive to be a good person... to not be a bad person. When this sense of how things should be is upset, the ENFJ will become upset with themselves.

8's Fe is concerned with how things should be for the sake of justice, because they fear being weak, vulnerable, or controlled. The 8's sense of how things should be comes from an external directive to stand against the injustice in the world, to avoid being weak. When this sense of how things should be is upset, the ENFJ will become upset with the source.

About my enneagram, it's between 6w5, 3w4, 3w2 and 1w2. Ultimately I've been scoring very high on type 6. I've seen than I'm a very naive person and I haven't depeloped a good social shrewdness with a good practical mind. I think that these traits are necessary to suceed and perform well in this world, and I will be much less harmed. All people use you, and some will not care if they manipulate you for exploding ends, I must be aware of this harm. That's why I try very hard to get into situations that will train myself into correcting these traits of mine. And anxiety appears at every minute, to know how to do things well. Once I have corrected these traits, I will feel more secure and able to make much bigger things for me and my people.
That sounds a lot like 6w5 to me.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Thanks for promoting Enneagram. It looks like I am a 2 w 3. Although I haven't taken the instinctiveness test, it looks like self-preservation is my dominant instinct based on the description. I think that's why my recent household situation has felt so distressing. But somehow knowing that makes it all seem okay, particularly because I think my friend may not share that dominant instinct. So it could help explain why she does not understand and why she doesn't appreciate the things I do. Recognizing that helps me to say, "Okay, we want different things. We have incompatible needs. Go in peace."

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Very cool to see enfj and their enneagram type descriptions. I am a type 4. I think I do tend to be more self-absorbed, but maybe the wing 5 makes me less of an elitist? Though I know when I was more immature I did see myself as exempt from doing things other people did. I went through most of high school without thinking I should pursue college, cuz one of those days I would be discovered as a singer, then wisked away into fun and fame. haha.And now I am in grad school wondering about my career choice, thinking it doesn't fit me, now worried if this is my type 4 ness talking,steering me away from reality. Also the enfj profiles did often seem to have gaps in describing who I was. I could relate to many things, but it seems like there wasn't much about my introspective tendencies, so I just rationalized it as having a stronger Ni or something.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I read on wiki that Obama is an ENFJ and have seen several threads talk about him being an ENFJ as well. I sort of identify the things he cares about are things that I would also care about. I don't know if that makes him an ENFJ, but the way he speaks when he talks about personal stories and descriptions of struggling people, seems like something I would want to do if I was ever president. To try to connect to the audience as much as possible. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of what enneagram he would be if he was an ENFJ?

He seems so much more calm than I. Maybe he is a type 1 or type 5. I feel pretty lousy when it comes to typing enneagram, it seems so complex and subtle...so feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I used to think I was 8w7, but then a nice man on the perc enneagram subforum told me I was actually 7w8. Reading those descriptions on the first page, however, 8 suits me better :)

When I do those enneagram tests, I usually have almost equal (and very high) scores in 2, 7, 8 and also 4 sometimes. Sometimes I score highly in every type except 5 and 6 :)

So I must admit I don't get this enneagram thing completely, mbti just seems more precise and clear-cut :)

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I'm type 2w1. And that's a good explanation! The enneagram thing has always confused me :p

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Weirdly enough, I don't know a single other ENFJ 2 in real life. The ENFJs I know are 3, 4, 5, and 8, and yeah, though I can see how we're all the same time, the 3 and the 8 drive me a bit bonkers.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts