Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true for other ENFJ or is it a personal thing?

Very few people actually impress me. And a lot of the people that most people are impressed by do nothing for me. That's also why I don't ever feel nervous around "important" people.

I'm not very impressed by money, cars, looks or any of that stuff. Intelligence is impressive but not in and of it's self. For example, I know some intp that know a lot about a few things. Not impressive.

I can think of only 3 impressive people I've met my entire life:

1. My dad (my inspiration and hero)
2. A forester in his 60s who knows a lot about trees and is a really hard worker; good man
3. An Engineer/Businessman who immigrated here many years ago and he was in a concentration camp with his family. He is a genius and millionaire and mesmerizing. Very smart in a practical way but also visionary. He is so down to earth. I like the way he thinks.

What about you?

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
538 Posts
So, what makes those people different to others?
Is it the strength to persevere? Is it a particular way someone thinks?

Reactions: HGy

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, what makes those people different to others?
Is it the strength to persevere? Is it a particular way someone thinks?
The main points that separate them from everyone else is humility, strength, and the fact that they give something of value to the world that is tangible and intangible.

There is something about a man who is like a humble warrior, servant, resilient and fully living their purpose. You can sense it and you feel it being around them and listening to them speak.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I mean, what is it to be impressed? It's an ego thing, thinking that this other person possesses some kind of superior something relative to yourself. It's recognition that the other person aligns with your ego-ideal but in a way that feels not easily accessible to you, so attributing those traits of the person to some special innately possessed quality of the person themselves, rather than trying to understand what really creates those qualities, like what experiences and circumstances have led to creating them.

Why do we have a celebrity culture? Because the people who worship celebrities secretly wish they could be one too. To be impressed by someone you have to divide people into two categories, or two cardinal directions, and recognize a person as being further along the desirable direction than yourself, as "belonging" in the desirable category more securely than yourself, in the process endorsing the principle of division between people, some people are good people and some are bad, some desirable and some rotten. So people say, that person has the traits I wish I had, I want to be like them, one of the good people.

Ironically when people do this, they generally don't put themselves in the category of "bad person" in the way they are willing to put other people there. They see themselves as sort of a neutral outsider to this paradigm, who will someday become a fully-fledged participant in the paradigm only when they can securely verify their status as one of the good people. They reserve the right to reject the paradigm as long as they are insecure about where they fit into it, yet they still complacently apply the paradigm to other people, not extending the same lenience.

When the truth is that the paradigm doesn't really exist, there are no good and bad people, just good and bad situations, good and bad experiences, circumstances, choices, etc. It's comforting for many to turn to the absolute of a "good person" because a good person doesn't have to struggle, doesn't have to worry, doesn't have to be confused. After all, they are good, so everything they do is good by extension, they can do no wrong.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,195 Posts
The main points that separate them from everyone else is humility, strength, and the fact that they give something of value to the world that is tangible and intangible.

There is something about a man who is like a humble warrior, servant, resilient and fully living their purpose. You can sense it and you feel it being around them and listening to them speak.
Exactly!! Perhaps it's an NF trait? I'm also not very impressed by the flashy things people try to impress others by. I'm more intrigued by common everyday folks who make a difference in other people's lives. That to me holds more merit than a sleeze driving an expensive car just to overcompensate for a demented ego. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts