Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a strong ENFJ, always score that whether the "Real" meijer's briggs, or an abbreviated version. I'm planning to go back to school to study Speech Pathology. I'm interested in any input from other ENFJ's. In many ways this career is a perfect fit. I can help people in a defined way, I work with others all day long, I can work in a school to be available to my kids. But I worry about making the wrong choice. My dream was to get a PhD in Clinical Psych, but I didn't get accepted and now I just don't see it as a viable option, so I decided to look into other options. I've considered an MA in Counseling, but the money that I need is just not there and the job opportunities aren't as good either.

Any input is welcome. :)

I'm new here btw, Jenny is my name.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i think the real question of importance here is whether you are looking into this potential speech pathologist career because you sincerely feel attracted to the opportunity, with your heart as well, not only rationally (as in, whether you feel you want to do it, not just because you can list logical arguments "for", but because you really, really want it), or because you just want to do something, feeling that you can't make your original dream come true. if it' s the latter, i don't think it's a good idea, because, of course, you might follow it through and be successful and even content, in a way, but there will always be that "broken dream" motif in your life, which is never a good thing, since it carries hidden disappoinment with it that creates some bitterness towards whatever you do that has some connection with the lost opportunity. the victories of chosen path don't taste as good as they could, because those are not the victories you craved for, etc.,etc.
and, well, not getting accepted at first try does not mean that you should necessarily give up - i have a friend who went to medschool and failed miserably after the first semester, but instead of giving up just used the free semester for independent studying on the topics she had not done too well in, and applied to the same course again, and is doing great now, and is happy to be where she is.
of course, with this i do not intend to persuade you to leave the speech pathology alone - if that is indeed your new calling, and you feel it in your heart as well as your head, go for it! but, yeah, that is the most important thing that you have to figure out, if speech pathology is the thing for you, or just a plaster on the rejection wound.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Speech pathology eh...

I've been studying NLP and general semantics for a while now. This stuff fascinates me because one thing I love to do is converse and connect with people. Both have taught me how to (better) program my speech and linguistics.

I would highly recommend NLP for Dummies, not the for business or any other version, but strictly NLP for Dummies. That book has changed my life and how I interact with the world.

I'm currently reading the bible of semantics, Science and Sanity Amazon.com: Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics (International…

I can't speak for all ENFJs because I know this stuff doesn't interest us all, but if it does interest you, you should pursue it and as well do your own personal research (if you aren't doing so already). I love this stuff, it boggles my mind though I learn about it for my own personal use.

If you want/need any recommendations or would even want to chat about this stuff send me a pm or something.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm a strong ENFJ, always score that whether the "Real" meijer's briggs, or an abbreviated version. I'm planning to go back to school to study Speech Pathology. I'm interested in any input from other ENFJ's. In many ways this career is a perfect fit. I can help people in a defined way, I work with others all day long, I can work in a school to be available to my kids. But I worry about making the wrong choice. My dream was to get a PhD in Clinical Psych, but I didn't get accepted and now I just don't see it as a viable option, so I decided to look into other options. I've considered an MA in Counseling, but the money that I need is just not there and the job opportunities aren't as good either.

Any input is welcome. :)

I'm new here btw, Jenny is my name.
Hi Jenny, you could try to take the multiple inteligencies test at mypersonality.info, it can get you an insight on a few strenghts and minuses, than think what skills you'd have to use being a speech pathologist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts