Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Try to describe a ENFP 5w4

I've mistyped 4 times now on my own. (at one point I thought I was 7w6/8, then 9w1, and the closest I got was 4w5.)
I understand the fundamentals of enneagrams but I guess I'm still fairly new to the whole thing and have no real experience outside of the internet. Anyways, I think I might have found the one! If anyone could prove me wrong/right though please do, at this point i'm just getting more and more aggravated. :subdued:

So I ask if someone could give me a detailed description of how a ENFP w/ 5w4 would look. Im 99.998% sure Im ENFP, so I think this would give me an idea if i'm on the right track. I haven't found anything good really on the two together so this will be a learning experience for sure. I'll take any help I can get! :dog:

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
1,534 Posts
Be aware of people who think it is impossible to be an ENFP and a type 5.

Personally, I have wanted to get to know someone who is this type for a long time, because in theory, they seem extremely interesting to me. I also believe that any MBTI type can be any Enneagram type. Do you think you could describe what it is like to be an ENFP and a 5?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I've seen! But nevertheless I'm convinced that this may be the one. Hopefully lol. I cant give you a great description because im still unsure but I guess I think of it like the ENFP profile with all perks included, except overall well-rounded. (if that makes any sense :/) Hopefully someone can give a better answer than me!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've never thought of this combnation, but I agree that it is intriguing. And don't worry about being a "strange Enneagram for your type". There are a lot of 4w5/5w4 INFPs when 5 is a very INTP Enneagram. And INTPs are strikingly different from INFPs. I know you're an ENFP; I'm just making an example.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't believe that any Enneagram type can be any MBTI type. I can think of a few...like ESTJs who might insist that they are 4w5 or 5w4. I cannot fathom how an ENFP can be more introverted than introverts like INFP, INFJ, INTJ and INFJ, all of who are "introverts", not "I need my alone time now and again to recharge". First of all, introverts don't "recharge". They project for a short time and then retract back to baseline. Extroverts do the opposite. ENFPs are typically called the most introverted extrovert, but that does not make them an "introvert" any more than it makes INFJs extroverts. As an INFJ 4w5 sp/sx, I can be sociable, but my current existence is hermit-like...and I am content with it being so. I have a best friend that I never see and family who are a bit estranged from me (mostly due to distance). I don't want for company, though I can readily socialize on virtually any subject. The issue of avarice is always a crucial one with both 4w5 and 5w4...the with-holding of self from others and detachment are major ways that 4w5/5w4s kick the external world away. These two types can be difficult to distinguish since both 4 and 5 are two of Horney's withdrawn types. These types move away and against others over the short term and long term. They reinforce each other and represent the PIT of the Enneagram.

I believe that introverted thinking (Ti dominant) types are prototypical for E5. Why? Low extraverted sensing (Se) vs. high introverted thinking (Ti), which makes detachment easier for INTP than any other type. This confirms the key issues that define E5, namely detachment and avarice. The daily habit of attention is toward what is observable and able to be mastered. This is the principle, long-term, prevalent preoccupation of E5 and it fits INTP the best. INTJ would be the second choice at E5, as they rely on Te in the auxiliary position, and so will be even more objective than the subjective Ti dominant INTP. I see one at 5w4 (INTP) and the other at 5w6 (INTJ). INFP males often believe that they are E5, but inferior Te is an appreciable distance from both dominant Ti and auxiliary Te.

Consequently, INTP (in particular) and INTJ are the principle prototypical MBTI-Enneagram correlations for E5. ENFPs should reside at 3w4, 4w3, 6w7 and 7w6, as they do not hold the world at arms length like introverts. This introvert domain should be 4w5 (INFP-J), 5w4 (INTP) and 5w6 (INTJ). If an ENFP fancies being as introverted as the INs, then it is likely that they have mistyped themselves and are not, in fact Ne-Fi. A true INTP will not present the same as a true ENFP. One explores (Ne) personal values (Fi) and emotional significance externally and objectively (Te), with a comparison to past data/experience (Si). The other personalizes understanding/principles via clarification (Ti) of possibilities (Ne) with the help of past comparison (Si) with a view to universal values (Fe). One is an extrovert, the other is not, so the first question that must "honestly" be asked is whether or not one is an introvert. If you are an introvert, then you likely identify with INFP cognitive functions...if not then ENFP functions might be a better fit. Notice I say functions and not type descriptions, which usually induce a type of Forer effect, especially in Ne dominants, who see "many" possibilities/connections that may not in fact be interrelated according to the system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm an ENFP type 5 with balanced wings. But usually, I use my 6 wing. When I was younger I used my 4 wing more.

I think one way to describe myself would be as you said somewhat "well-rounded" (not to sound conceited I'm looking at it objectively). One thing that rang all kinds of bells in my head and convinced me I was a five was the fear of being overwhelmed and feeling that the world demands from me more than I can possibly give. I mean this is almost an everyday struggle for me. It's constant whenever I interact with people.

Also, I'm pretty introverted, more introverted than many "MBTI introverts" that I know. I LOVE being alone and not being interrupted by others. PS. I am in my head 24/7. I love researching topics all day and night long. I lose sense of time when I have a good book to read for example. (But this intensity might also be related to my Sx instinct).

I'm pretty extroverted WHEN I am in a social situation. But at home I like to be on my own. Also, if I had a choice between going out and staying home, I would stay home. Basically, all my social interactions happen by chance. Like I'm out and I happened to meet a friend. I can be loud and social etc but I don't choose these situations.

The other thing is being a five means that almost ALL my relationships with other people are initiated by the other party. Oh and I can very detached meaning I can go for many days without connecting with people. I can also detach from my emotions and look at things objectively.

In addition, during childhood I almost never ever spoke until I was 7 years old or so lol I used to be very quiet and rarely played.

Here are some questions that I found on 9type.com that I strongly identified with:

1. Do you relish and even require extended periods of time alone to ponder and sort out the important issues of life?
2. Do you have an unquenchable thirst for new experiences, new adventures, or new knowledge, and are you quickly bored by repetition?
3. Do you usually have a point of view different from everyone else's and find yourself amazed at the lack of rational thinking behind others' conclusions?
4. Do you enjoy talking about and planning a project for months, even years, but find your enthusiasm slipping away at the prospect of beginning the hard work of actually doing it?
5. In personal relationships, do you often feel frustrated and pull back because others misread your intentions?
6. Are you generally impatient with group decisions, becoming restless and irritated as others ramble on and on about unrelated, unimportant issues?
7. Do you tend to see the absurdity of life and enjoy throwing people off guard by pointing out the ridiculous with wit and humor?
8. Do you place great value on individualism, personal freedom, and space and become quickly interested by anything new, unexpected, or unexplored?
9. Are the social interactions of your life initiated primarily by others, even when you want to be included or want some form of communication?

If you have any questions, ask away.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I find 5w6 highly improbable for an ENFP...even an INFP. 5w6 is really INTP (low Fe), ISTP, ISTJ and INTJ (low Fi) territory. There is a common theme to the four that should be readily apparent. I would cite the Fudjack study (where no ENFPs were found at E5) and other opinions stated previously, but I am quite comfortable in saying that it is highly likely that you are mis-typed either via the Enneagram, MBTI or both. Ne-Fi is markedly different from Ti-dom or Te auxiliary introverts. Ne doms are not introverts. Ne-Fi embrace and empower others...iow, they move towards others. They readily submit to optimism, possibility and exuberance, gaining energy from interpersonal interaction and new experiences. They leap before they look. It is more likely that you are INFP 4w5. Yes INFP 4w5 can be hermits that live in their heads 24 and 7.

"The other thing is being a five means that almost ALL my relationships with other people are initiated by the other party. Oh and I can very detached meaning I can go for many days without connecting with people. I can also detach from my emotions and look at things objectively."

Many introverts could say the same.

"Also, I'm pretty introverted, more introverted than many "MBTI introverts" that I know."

But you do not identify as an introvert? This puzzles me. This "MBTI introvert" line is one that I have heard before. Again, ENFPs are not an introverted type. This sounds much more like INFP to me.

"I lose sense of time when I have a good book to read for example. (But this intensity might also be related to my Sx instinct)."

This...again, could apply to most introverted intuitives and instinctual orientation would be largely irrelevant. Even extraverts can get lost in a book that interests them.

"I'm pretty extroverted WHEN I am in a social situation. But at home I like to be on my own. Also, if I had a choice between going out and staying home, I would stay home. Basically, all my social interactions happen by chance. Like I'm out and I happened to meet a friend. I can be loud and social etc but I don't choose these situations."

This explains Fi in the dominant or auxiliary position...but does not indicate a primary orientation toward the objective, external environment (extraversion). Most NF introverts will be highly sociable via either Fi or Fe...usually it will be with either a single person or a small group of people. It does not mean that they don't actually possess a primary orientation toward the inner world of the psyche...i.e. a propensity to move away from others and prefer solitude to social engagement. Introverts in general are not prone to being conversation starters.

Finally, the 9types questions seem odd...many of them could apply to introverts in general. I think that ENFPs are well aware of their emotions and often use them to initiate change in others. NFs in general also have an affable affinity with their feeling functions. You have self-selected as an NF and not an NT, which says a lot about how you view yourself. This is not the stuff of Fe/Fi-challenged Ti dom or Te aux.

1. ENFPs speculate first and feel second, whereas INFPs feel first and speculate second.

For the ENFP, the world is a never-ending smorgasbord of possibilities to explore and adventures to partake in. They jump quickly into new projects, then need to withdraw to process their feelings about what they have been experiencing. Explore possibilities – then examine feelings.

For the INFP, the world is a smorgasbord of thoughts, feelings and fantasies that they can explore internally. They choose which possibilities to pursue in the real world by first determining which of the available options is the best reflection of their most authentic self. Explore possibilities from feelings.

2. ENFPs enjoy the spotlight, whereas INFPs shy away from it.

INFPs enjoy recognition for their talent, but they’d rather be behind-the-scenes than front-and-center when it comes to receiving recognition. An INFP wants to be perceived as serious and thoughtful by others, whereas an ENFP is more comfortable showing off their goofy nature to the public.

3. ENFPs use humor to make light of serious situations, whereas INFPs prefer to delve deeply into serious situations.

ENFPs are deeply serious people at their core, but they feel protective of their deepest feelings and often make light of serious situations in order to avoid delving into them in the presence of others. They are quick to lighten the mood with a joke or off handed remark that veers the conversation in a different direction. Positive, humor to disarm negativism.

On the flip side, INFPs rarely waiver on the issues they feel strongly about. They are likely to approach serious topics with caution, thinking carefully about what they are going to say in order to accurately portray their thoughts to the opposite party. Or, if they don’t wish to have the conversation in question, they’ll simply remove themselves from the situation altogether. Cautious and think carefully on serious matters.

4. ENFPs leap before they look, INFPs look before they leap.

ENFPs jump quickly into new projects – often before they thoroughly determine how they feel about the project and its potential implications. They have a fluid system of values that tends to morph and change as they take in new experiences. Leap- Look

On the flip side, INFPs, must determine how they feel about a given project BEFORE deciding to take it on. Everything the INFP does has to be in line with his or her pre-decided set of internal values. Look - Leap

5. ENFPs tend to question their extroversion,whereas INFPs tend to be positive that they’re introverts.

ENFPs often feel torn between their intense love of people and their intense love of alone time. They are highly likely to identify as ambiverts, seeing both introverted and extroverted traits in themselves.
Extroverts/ Ambiverts.

On the flip side, INFPs tend to be quite sure that they prefer their own company to the company of others and are unlikely to wonder whether they may be extroverts. Introverts

6. ENFPs are more at risk of losing touch with their feelings whereas INFPs are more at risk of losing touch with the external world.

ENFPs find comfort in the external world and may be prone to running away from their problems or distracting themselves with new projects when they’re stressed. Lose touch with feelings.

On the flip side, INFPs find comfort in the internal world and maybe prone to over-analyzing their problems and avoiding taking action when they’re stressed. Lose touch with the world.

7. When a loved one is in need of advice, ENFPs offer empowering suggestions whereas INFPs offer emotional guidance.

While an ENFP is listening to the struggles of a distressed friend, they are internally formulating a wide range of possible solutions to the problem at hand and considering ways they could empower their friend to take control of the situation and change their circumstances.
Change initiators...efficacious empowerment with solutions.

On the flip side, an INFP listening to a distressed friend is busy identifying exactly how their friend is feeling and thinking of ways they could reframe the situation so that their friend can feel differently about what they’re going through, even if the circumstances themselves don’t necessarily change.
Emotional support/guidance with empathy.

8. ENFPs fantasize about the different experiences they could have, INFPs fantasize about the different feelings they could have.

In an ENFP fantasy, they’re a talk-show host! And then they’re a mountain climber! And then they’re a best-selling author going on a world-wide book tour to meet their many adoring fans! They use their alone time to explore different interests and adventures they could have and researching how to make those fantasies a reality.Exploratory experiences.

In an INFP fantasy, they fall passionately in love with the boy next door – but then he betrays them! And then they’re dejected.And then they channel their emotion into art – and then they rise above the situation triumphantly! INFPs use their alone time to explore the different feelings they could have and imagine how those intense emotions may manifest in real life. Exploratory feelings.

9. ENFPs are open and welcoming, INFPs take time to warm up to new people.

ENFPs enjoy forming quick connections with those around them and don’t mind sharing their passions and interests from the get-go.They are warm and enthusiastic when meeting others – wanting to learn more about them in order to foster an instant sense of closeness. Need to be more judgmental. Garrulous storytellers.Embrace others with ebullience/alacrity.

INFPs enjoy meeting new people but don’t feel comfortable revealing much about themselves from the get-go. They are guarded about their passions and interests and need to feel as though they trust someone before they can truly feel close to them. They don’t often hit it off immediately with strangers.
Guarded until trust is sufficient.

10. ENFPs are highly excitable – even when they are alone – whereas INFPs are selectively excitable around others.

Leave an ENFP alone for three hours and they often re-emerge with limbs shaking from too much coffee and fourteen new ideas that they’re bursting to share with others. Though they also use alone time to reflect on their emotions, even their deep reflections tend to give way to bursts of creative inspiration, and their emotional processing may quickly turn into fanciful conceptualizations of the future.
Leave an INFP alone for three hours and they’ll re-emerge with a poem they wrote and a reluctance to show it to others. This type is most likely to feel excited when they are making future plans with a good friend or sharing a joke with others. Their extroverted intuition emerges through the lens of their introverted feeling, so they need to feel an emotional connection to the idea in question before they can truly be excited about it.

*It’s important to note here that INFPs are the most prone of any personality type to mistyping as something else. Because INFPs live in a world of identity possibilities, they enjoy thinking of themselves in various different lights and are able to thoroughly convince themselves – more so than any other type – that they truly are thinkers, judgers, etc.Their extroverted intuition allows them to see a situation from various different angles and their introverted feeling creates an emotional attachment to the type they decide on. For this reason,INFPs are more prone to mistyping than any other type.

Which can make them 6w5s on the Enneagram model. Fi is the culprit. They most readily internalize type.
INFPs are quite analytical in nature.Introverted feeling is a function that picks apart information to get to its core – and this is easily confused with introverted thinking, which operates in a very similar regard. The difference here is what the end goal of the assessment is – for the INFP, the goal is to find the true meaning of everything they are analyzing. For the INTP, the goal is simply to find the most objective truth.Because objective logic is a weak point for the INFP but intensive analysis is not, they may test as Ts in a slightly defensive measure of protecting their intellectualism – when not familiar with Myers-Briggs, they may not understand that one can be both intellectual and emotional.

Reactions: Lord Bullingdon

·
Registered
74 Posts

I find 5w6 highly improbable for an ENFP...even an INFP. 5w6 is really INTP (low Fe), ISTP, ISTJ and INTJ (low Fi) territory. There is a common theme to the four that should be readily apparent. I would cite the Fudjack study (where no ENFPs were found at E5) and other opinions stated previously, but I am quite comfortable in saying that it is highly likely that you are mis-typed either via the Enneagram, MBTI or both. Ne-Fi is markedly different from Ti-dom or Te auxiliary introverts. Ne doms are not introverts. Ne-Fi embrace and empower others...iow, they move towards others. They readily submit to optimism, possibility and exuberance, gaining energy from interpersonal interaction and new experiences. They leap before they look. It is more likely that you are INFP 4w5. Yes INFP 4w5 can be hermits that live in their heads 24 and 7.

"The other thing is being a five means that almost ALL my relationships with other people are initiated by the other party. Oh and I can very detached meaning I can go for many days without connecting with people. I can also detach from my emotions and look at things objectively."

Many introverts could say the same.

"Also, I'm pretty introverted, more introverted than many "MBTI introverts" that I know."

But you do not identify as an introvert? This puzzles me. This "MBTI introvert" line is one that I have heard before. Again, ENFPs are not an introverted type. This sounds much more like INFP to me.

"I lose sense of time when I have a good book to read for example. (But this intensity might also be related to my Sx instinct)."

This...again, could apply to most introverted intuitives and instinctual orientation would be largely irrelevant. Even extraverts can get lost in a book that interests them.

"I'm pretty extroverted WHEN I am in a social situation. But at home I like to be on my own. Also, if I had a choice between going out and staying home, I would stay home. Basically, all my social interactions happen by chance. Like I'm out and I happened to meet a friend. I can be loud and social etc but I don't choose these situations."

This explains Fi in the dominant or auxiliary position...but does not indicate a primary orientation toward the objective, external environment (extraversion). Most NF introverts will be highly sociable via either Fi or Fe...usually it will be with either a single person or a small group of people. It does not mean that they don't actually possess a primary orientation toward the inner world of the psyche...i.e. a propensity to move away from others and prefer solitude to social engagement. Introverts in general are not prone to being conversation starters.

Finally, the 9types questions seem odd...many of them could apply to introverts in general. I think that ENFPs are well aware of their emotions and often use them to initiate change in others. NFs in general also have an affable affinity with their feeling functions. You have self-selected as an NF and not an NT, which says a lot about how you view yourself. This is not the stuff of Fe/Fi-challenged Ti dom or Te aux.

1. ENFPs speculate first and feel second, whereas INFPs feel first and speculate second.

For the ENFP, the world is a never-ending smorgasbord of possibilities to explore and adventures to partake in. They jump quickly into new projects, then need to withdraw to process their feelings about what they have been experiencing. Explore possibilities – then examine feelings.

For the INFP, the world is a smorgasbord of thoughts, feelings and fantasies that they can explore internally. They choose which possibilities to pursue in the real world by first determining which of the available options is the best reflection of their most authentic self. Explore possibilities from feelings.

2. ENFPs enjoy the spotlight, whereas INFPs shy away from it.

INFPs enjoy recognition for their talent, but they’d rather be behind-the-scenes than front-and-center when it comes to receiving recognition. An INFP wants to be perceived as serious and thoughtful by others, whereas an ENFP is more comfortable showing off their goofy nature to the public.

3. ENFPs use humor to make light of serious situations, whereas INFPs prefer to delve deeply into serious situations.

ENFPs are deeply serious people at their core, but they feel protective of their deepest feelings and often make light of serious situations in order to avoid delving into them in the presence of others. They are quick to lighten the mood with a joke or off handed remark that veers the conversation in a different direction. Positive, humor to disarm negativism.

On the flip side, INFPs rarely waiver on the issues they feel strongly about. They are likely to approach serious topics with caution, thinking carefully about what they are going to say in order to accurately portray their thoughts to the opposite party. Or, if they don’t wish to have the conversation in question, they’ll simply remove themselves from the situation altogether. Cautious and think carefully on serious matters.

4. ENFPs leap before they look, INFPs look before they leap.

ENFPs jump quickly into new projects – often before they thoroughly determine how they feel about the project and its potential implications. They have a fluid system of values that tends to morph and change as they take in new experiences. Leap- Look

On the flip side, INFPs, must determine how they feel about a given project BEFORE deciding to take it on. Everything the INFP does has to be in line with his or her pre-decided set of internal values. Look - Leap

5. ENFPs tend to question their extroversion,whereas INFPs tend to be positive that they’re introverts.

ENFPs often feel torn between their intense love of people and their intense love of alone time. They are highly likely to identify as ambiverts, seeing both introverted and extroverted traits in themselves.
Extroverts/ Ambiverts.

On the flip side, INFPs tend to be quite sure that they prefer their own company to the company of others and are unlikely to wonder whether they may be extroverts. Introverts

6. ENFPs are more at risk of losing touch with their feelings whereas INFPs are more at risk of losing touch with the external world.

ENFPs find comfort in the external world and may be prone to running away from their problems or distracting themselves with new projects when they’re stressed. Lose touch with feelings.

On the flip side, INFPs find comfort in the internal world and maybe prone to over-analyzing their problems and avoiding taking action when they’re stressed. Lose touch with the world.

7. When a loved one is in need of advice, ENFPs offer empowering suggestions whereas INFPs offer emotional guidance.

While an ENFP is listening to the struggles of a distressed friend, they are internally formulating a wide range of possible solutions to the problem at hand and considering ways they could empower their friend to take control of the situation and change their circumstances.
Change initiators...efficacious empowerment with solutions.

On the flip side, an INFP listening to a distressed friend is busy identifying exactly how their friend is feeling and thinking of ways they could reframe the situation so that their friend can feel differently about what they’re going through, even if the circumstances themselves don’t necessarily change.
Emotional support/guidance with empathy.

8. ENFPs fantasize about the different experiences they could have, INFPs fantasize about the different feelings they could have.

In an ENFP fantasy, they’re a talk-show host! And then they’re a mountain climber! And then they’re a best-selling author going on a world-wide book tour to meet their many adoring fans! They use their alone time to explore different interests and adventures they could have and researching how to make those fantasies a reality.Exploratory experiences.

In an INFP fantasy, they fall passionately in love with the boy next door – but then he betrays them! And then they’re dejected.And then they channel their emotion into art – and then they rise above the situation triumphantly! INFPs use their alone time to explore the different feelings they could have and imagine how those intense emotions may manifest in real life. Exploratory feelings.

9. ENFPs are open and welcoming, INFPs take time to warm up to new people.

ENFPs enjoy forming quick connections with those around them and don’t mind sharing their passions and interests from the get-go.They are warm and enthusiastic when meeting others – wanting to learn more about them in order to foster an instant sense of closeness. Need to be more judgmental. Garrulous storytellers.Embrace others with ebullience/alacrity.

INFPs enjoy meeting new people but don’t feel comfortable revealing much about themselves from the get-go. They are guarded about their passions and interests and need to feel as though they trust someone before they can truly feel close to them. They don’t often hit it off immediately with strangers.
Guarded until trust is sufficient.

10. ENFPs are highly excitable – even when they are alone – whereas INFPs are selectively excitable around others.

Leave an ENFP alone for three hours and they often re-emerge with limbs shaking from too much coffee and fourteen new ideas that they’re bursting to share with others. Though they also use alone time to reflect on their emotions, even their deep reflections tend to give way to bursts of creative inspiration, and their emotional processing may quickly turn into fanciful conceptualizations of the future.
Leave an INFP alone for three hours and they’ll re-emerge with a poem they wrote and a reluctance to show it to others. This type is most likely to feel excited when they are making future plans with a good friend or sharing a joke with others. Their extroverted intuition emerges through the lens of their introverted feeling, so they need to feel an emotional connection to the idea in question before they can truly be excited about it.

*It’s important to note here that INFPs are the most prone of any personality type to mistyping as something else. Because INFPs live in a world of identity possibilities, they enjoy thinking of themselves in various different lights and are able to thoroughly convince themselves – more so than any other type – that they truly are thinkers, judgers, etc.Their extroverted intuition allows them to see a situation from various different angles and their introverted feeling creates an emotional attachment to the type they decide on. For this reason,INFPs are more prone to mistyping than any other type.

Which can make them 6w5s on the Enneagram model. Fi is the culprit. They most readily internalize type.
INFPs are quite analytical in nature.Introverted feeling is a function that picks apart information to get to its core – and this is easily confused with introverted thinking, which operates in a very similar regard. The difference here is what the end goal of the assessment is – for the INFP, the goal is to find the true meaning of everything they are analyzing. For the INTP, the goal is simply to find the most objective truth.Because objective logic is a weak point for the INFP but intensive analysis is not, they may test as Ts in a slightly defensive measure of protecting their intellectualism – when not familiar with Myers-Briggs, they may not understand that one can be both intellectual and emotional.
Thank you for your input vrusimov. I appreciate your response.

However, I know I'm 100% ENFP and 100% type 5. I have been deeply studying MBTI for the past 5 years and Enneagram for the past year or so. Although I knew my Enneagram type the moment I read it, I still took the test numerous times and ALWAYS got 5w6 (on tests that had to provide a wing like the Perc ones) and Type 5 with balanced wings (on the ones that had that option). I know that I have balanced wings tho because I could see where sometimes I use my four wing especially earlier in life. Now that I am at university, I rely on my 6 wing more since I'm studying sciences and the 5w6 in me comes out more.

As for my MBTI type, I also took a number of tests and they were all ENFP except two. One of which I didn't really answer the question properly since it was just for school (got ENFJ). I'm not a J at all. And the other was a functions test and on that I got INTP but it was because my highest function was Ti. Needless to say, I am nothing like an INTP (my brother is one so I know I'm not INTP for sure). I think the reason for this was E5.

Anyhow, I didn't just rely on the description of ENFPs and Type 5 to know my personality. I looked at handwriting, face reading etc And combined it all to know myself better.

One thing I can say is that I identify with the online descriptions of both types but not the stereotypes about them. What I mean by that is for example, every single letter mentioned on here about ENFPs I can see in myself.
ENFP Strengths and Weaknesses | 16Personalities

However, the stereotypes that people have about ENFPs don't necessarily fit me. For instance, I am very popular and friendly. Again not to brag or anything, but I was practically the most popular girl in high school and I'm very confidant. However, people MADE me the popular girl. I never chose it. I never chased it. I couldn't care less about my "image" etc. Also, I know lots and lots of people and I have no anxiety talking to anyone or presenting or anything like that. I know I'm an extrovert. What I mean by saying I'm more "introverted than my introverted friends" is that my introverted friends seek more interaction with me thn I do. And the reason I don't seek human interaction as much is because I am happy on my own with my own mind and I do not see a reason to seek interaction, you know what I mean?

But once they initiate conversation AND I see their interest in the subject (the NF in me comes out because I care about the other person). You said something about INFPs, "Their extroverted intuition emerges through the lens of their introverted feeling, so they need to feel an emotional connection to the idea in question before they can truly be excited about it." However, this isn't just INFPs. This s how NFs work in general. You need to engage their emotions in order to capture their interest. So once the other person starts the conversation, I can turn it any way I want pretty much cuz I'm a library (E5) with Ne. Also, people tend to find me very witty. It's my natural way of talking though but people find it funny (random Type 5 wit and twists).

Now coming to the specifics. I hope you don't take it personal but I found most of the descriptions here inaccurate.

1. ENFPs speculate first and feel second, whereas INFPs feel first and speculate second. I definitely speculate first and feel later.
2. ENFPs enjoy the spotlight, whereas INFPs shy away from it. This is a huge stereotype. No where did I see a description of an authentic description of ENFPs that said they necessarily enjoy the spotlight. It really depends on the person including their Enneagram type. Eg. ENFPs E9 would not like the spotlight and would rather keep it on the other person. With me, sometimes I like it but most of the time I couldn't care less if I'm the spotlight then cool if not then I don't care to be honest.
3. ENFPs use humor to make light of serious situations, whereas INFPs prefer to delve deeply into serious situations. This is very inaccurate. I have yet to meet an ENFP who uses humor during serious situations. I think you are referring to ENFJ not ENFPs. ENFPs are easily overwhelmed (as the article of strengths and weakness says). We can be very over-sensitive and irritable during serious times. In fact, I wonder if other ENFPs here agree?
4. ENFPs leap before they look, INFPs look before they leap. Again, huge stereotype. A Type 5 would always look and keep looking before they take any action at all. Thus, it depends on the Enneagram and no where did I ever read this in any ENFP description. Could you provide me with the source?
5. ENFPs tend to question their extroversion,whereas INFPs tend to be positive that they’re introverts. I'm tempted to ask where you got this information from? I think ENFPs are some of the least likely to question their extroversion because it is obvious. We are too bubbly etc. I doubt what's being said here.
6. ENFPs are more at risk of losing touch with their feelings whereas INFPs are more at risk of losing touch with the external world. I don't relate to either things mentioned.
7. When a loved one is in need of advice, ENFPs offer empowering suggestions whereas INFPs offer emotional guidance. Yes, I definitely give empowering suggestions and advice. As ENFPs we are considered the "Inspirers". This is probably the most common compliments I get is that I inspired the other person in some way. Also, we are very influential since we have very good people skills and that is very evident in my experience with others.
Ok this is very type 7 ENFP and 4 INFP. This isn't how every ENFP or INFP is. Specifically, an INFP E5 would not fantasize about feelings neither would an ENFP E5 fantasize about different experiences.
9. ENFPs are open and welcoming, INFPs take time to warm up to new people. It really depends, I can be either. Sometimes I can be welcoming and other times I take time to warm up to the other person depending on how I'm feeling and my read on the other person.
10. ENFPs are highly excitable – even when they are alone – whereas INFPs are selectively excitable around others. Ok I have to say this is incorrect. ENFPs are not excitable when they are alone. In fact, it is because of the other that they are excited. Again they are extroverts and get their energy FROM the other PERSON. Thus, when they meet someone they like, they get super excited and all. Not to mention the "ENFP switch" which only another ENFP experiences. Basically, we hit a point of no return being intoxicated with our own brain chemicals and we can not stop. This usually happens to me with large gatherings where I have many people around me. I kind of absorb all their energy and become too over the top bubbly talkative etc. Unless I part away from them and discharge that energy I practically can not stop. This is one of the tell-tale signs that one is an ENFP. (Eg. for an INFJ a big sign would be the INFJ death stare and their frequent door slams lol)

It might be highly improbable to be an ENFP 5w6 but it's not impossible. Also, Enneagram teachers agree that any MBTI type can be any Enneagram type, though some more likely than others.

You said that many introverts would relate to one of my comments above. I'm not sure if you considered the last sentence of it though where I said, "I can also detach from my emotions and look at things objectively."

I do not think being introvert automatically enables you to do that. This is pretty characteristic of E5s. They are the ones who can detach from emotions and look at things as an outsider without getting tangled up with any emotions. Even MBTI thinkers don't work that way.

The other thing that I notice about my self that relates to E5 is the compartmentalization. I am a pro at it lol I can compartmentalize things and know exactly where they fit etc For instance, that comment that I made about being an extrovert yet more introverted than my "MBTI introverted" friends. There was a lot of compartmentalization done here. To me an MBTI introvert is very different from an Enneagram introvert and there are many reasons for that but I wont go into that here for the sake of keeping this post 'postable'. But I do that a lot and I know exactly what is meant by each particular thing which enables me like other E5 to see things very clearly because we are the 'observers'. We observe things that others don't and that helps keep up the books in our library separate from one another.

As for me being an INFP 4w5. I am no way on earth E4 lol for the sake of keeping it short. One thing to note, I never know what I'm feeling until ages later. Annndd I'm not E9, in case you think that because I don't know what I'm feeling. I LOVE debating and have very high tolerance for conflicts. Plus, I have an 8 inner child for sure. Again, I'm a 5.

Also, a lot of the questions on the 9type.com are specific for E5. However, one or two could relate to MBTI introverts as well.

You said that instinctual variant is largely irrelevant to being too absorbed into books. But that is not true. Instinctual variant is the reason that is, at east for me. Sx doms are one-on-one and very intense people. The thing they intensely merge with can be another person but it can also be a thing (eg. a book).

Okay, so I think that's all I have to say for now. If you would like me to clarify anything, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm more "introverted than my introverted friends" is that my introverted friends seek more interaction with me than I do. And the reason I don't seek human interaction as much is because I am happy on my own with my own mind and I do not see a reason to seek interaction, you know what I mean?

Seeking more interaction in a one-to-one situation does not make them more extraverted than you.

This is how NFs work in general. You need to engage their emotions in order to capture their interest. So once the other person starts the conversation, I can turn it any way I want pretty much cuz I'm a library (E5) with Ne. Also, people tend to find me very witty. It'smy natural way of talking though but people find it funny (random Type 5 wit and twists).”

You don't need to engage NF emotions so much as their mind, via anything other than small-talk. Wit (Ne) is not exclusive to E5...nor is a library of knowledge. ANY type can be intellectual, well read and learned.

You said that many introverts would relate to one of my comments above.I'm not sure if you considered the last sentence of it though where I said, "I can also detach from my emotions and look at things objectively." I do not think being introvert automatically enables you to do that.This is pretty characteristic of E5s. They are the ones who can detach from emotions and look at things as an outsider without getting tangled up with any emotions. Even MBTI thinkers don't work that way.”

I don't know what you mean by “MBTI Thinkers”.INTP, INTJ, ISTP and ISTJ all have either Ti dom or Te aux, which will conform to some of the challenges of E5, namely social awkwardness due to low Fe. They would not fit the definition of bubbly or outgoing...solitary and reserved is more their thing. They usually struggle with knowing “how to be” with others in social settings. Ne dom, especially Ne-Fi will not be as introverted as Ti dom or Ni/Si-Te aux, as you clearly have admitted in your response(being extraverted). This is why I don't see Ne-Fi at E5... 6w5 is a better fit for Ne-Fi, although INFPs also land here.

Introverted intuitives can all detach from emotions for critical decision making. INTP and INTJs do this by default...even INFJs with elevated Ti. I think you should examine in great detail other introverted intuitives, especially INTP and INTJ who are THE prototypes of E5. Even INFJ should be examined because they can be close to INTJs if they are older and use more Ti.An in-depth,rigorous examination of those three types will help you to understand why ENFP makes less sense at E5 than Ti dom and Te aux introverts. Even Fi dom will be more introverted than Ne dom. They will be analytical like INTPs but the INTP is looking for truth/accuracy, while the INFP is looking for meaning/authenticity.

Tome an MBTI introvert is very different from an Enneagram introvertand there are many reasons for that but I wont go into that here forthe sake of keeping this post 'postable'. But I do that a lot and Iknow exactly what is meant by each particular thing which enables melike other E5 to see things very clearly because we are the'observers'. We observe things that others don't and that helps keepup the books in our library separate from one another.”

Actually the Enneagram is more about the habits of attention one uses daily...what you do every day to meet the demands of both your psyche and environment. The key for E5 being detachment, avarice, hoarding and constant withholding of self from others...also a disquieting and alien association with emotions...both in expression and experience. ENFPs are typically comfortable with both expression and experience, even though they will detach for periods to examine Fi(how and what they feel about something)...this would be the examination of emotions “long after the fact” that you indicate. ENFPs usually want the experience and its possibilities first...examination of what it means usually comes later...which iswhy they need to be more judgmental than their INFP cousins, because it can allow people in that can do them harm before they realize it.They need to be more selective with their friends and acquaintances as a result.

Also,a lot of the questions on the 9type.com are specific for E5. However,one or two could relate to MBTI introverts as well.You said that instinctual variant is largely irrelevant to being too absorbed into books. But that is not true. Instinctual variant is the reason that is, at east for me. Sx doms are one-on-one and very intense people. The thing they intensely merge with can be another person but it can also be a thing (eg. a book).”

I would seriously venture beyond 9types, which was around even before I started serious Enneagram study over 13 years ago. Get more information from multiple sources. Half of those questions could pertain to any introverted intuitive. You need more data I think. Different authors will have different ideas of what E5 issues entail.

Finally,instinctual stacking has to do with survival instinct...SP is about environmental awareness and self-preservation (against annihilation or not existing)...”How am I in my body”?...SX is about intimate awareness and attraction to other people, usually the mate...“How is our world”?...the one-to-one between two people (against the world)...SO is about social awareness...the connection with the group(for safety, acceptance and security). None of these have any bearing on the impetus to read. I don't follow this line of reasoning.

Reactions: Lord Bullingdon

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry I have to agree with @vrusimov. Type 5s' entire psychological structure revolves around remaining detached--emotionally, often socially, and sometimes even physically. There's often a real incapacity to interact in the moment. The Ne+Fi process lends itself to emotional expression and involvement with others, in the moment. So I find ENFP 5 to be a real contradiction in terms, and I'd be wary of describing it.

Again, there are many other sources to consult than 9types. I recommend actual books if you can get a hold of them; so many people utterly mistype due to the internet and its numerous tests and bad descriptions.

And, for the purposes of this thread, I'm more interested in knowing why you type as 5, and why you type as ENFP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm more "introverted than my introverted friends" is that my introverted friends seek more interaction with me than I do. And the reason I don't seek human interaction as much is because I am happy on my own with my own mind and I do not see a reason to seek interaction, you know what I mean?

Seeking more interaction in a one-to-one situation does not make them more extraverted than you.

This is how NFs work in general. You need to engage their emotions in order to capture their interest. So once the other person starts the conversation, I can turn it any way I want pretty much cuz I'm a library (E5) with Ne. Also, people tend to find me very witty. It'smy natural way of talking though but people find it funny (random Type 5 wit and twists).”

You don't need to engage NF emotions so much as their mind, via anything other than small-talk. Wit (Ne) is not exclusive to E5...nor is a library of knowledge. ANY type can be intellectual, well read and learned.

You said that many introverts would relate to one of my comments above.I'm not sure if you considered the last sentence of it though where I said, "I can also detach from my emotions and look at things objectively." I do not think being introvert automatically enables you to do that.This is pretty characteristic of E5s. They are the ones who can detach from emotions and look at things as an outsider without getting tangled up with any emotions. Even MBTI thinkers don't work that way.”

I don't know what you mean by “MBTI Thinkers”.INTP, INTJ, ISTP and ISTJ all have either Ti dom or Te aux, which will conform to some of the challenges of E5, namely social awkwardness due to low Fe. They would not fit the definition of bubbly or outgoing...solitary and reserved is more their thing. They usually struggle with knowing “how to be” with others in social settings. Ne dom, especially Ne-Fi will not be as introverted as Ti dom or Ni/Si-Te aux, as you clearly have admitted in your response(being extraverted). This is why I don't see Ne-Fi at E5... 6w5 is a better fit for Ne-Fi, although INFPs also land here.

Introverted intuitives can all detach from emotions for critical decision making. INTP and INTJs do this by default...even INFJs with elevated Ti. I think you should examine in great detail other introverted intuitives, especially INTP and INTJ who are THE prototypes of E5. Even INFJ should be examined because they can be close to INTJs if they are older and use more Ti.An in-depth,rigorous examination of those three types will help you to understand why ENFP makes less sense at E5 than Ti dom and Te aux introverts. Even Fi dom will be more introverted than Ne dom. They will be analytical like INTPs but the INTP is looking for truth/accuracy, while the INFP is looking for meaning/authenticity.

Tome an MBTI introvert is very different from an Enneagram introvertand there are many reasons for that but I wont go into that here forthe sake of keeping this post 'postable'. But I do that a lot and Iknow exactly what is meant by each particular thing which enables melike other E5 to see things very clearly because we are the'observers'. We observe things that others don't and that helps keepup the books in our library separate from one another.”

Actually the Enneagram is more about the habits of attention one uses daily...what you do every day to meet the demands of both your psyche and environment. The key for E5 being detachment, avarice, hoarding and constant withholding of self from others...also a disquieting and alien association with emotions...both in expression and experience. ENFPs are typically comfortable with both expression and experience, even though they will detach for periods to examine Fi(how and what they feel about something)...this would be the examination of emotions “long after the fact” that you indicate. ENFPs usually want the experience and its possibilities first...examination of what it means usually comes later...which iswhy they need to be more judgmental than their INFP cousins, because it can allow people in that can do them harm before they realize it.They need to be more selective with their friends and acquaintances as a result.

Also,a lot of the questions on the 9type.com are specific for E5. However,one or two could relate to MBTI introverts as well.You said that instinctual variant is largely irrelevant to being too absorbed into books. But that is not true. Instinctual variant is the reason that is, at east for me. Sx doms are one-on-one and very intense people. The thing they intensely merge with can be another person but it can also be a thing (eg. a book).”

I would seriously venture beyond 9types, which was around even before I started serious Enneagram study over 13 years ago. Get more information from multiple sources. Half of those questions could pertain to any introverted intuitive. You need more data I think. Different authors will have different ideas of what E5 issues entail.

Finally,instinctual stacking has to do with survival instinct...SP is about environmental awareness and self-preservation (against annihilation or not existing)...”How am I in my body”?...SX is about intimate awareness and attraction to other people, usually the mate...“How is our world”?...the one-to-one between two people (against the world)...SO is about social awareness...the connection with the group(for safety, acceptance and security). None of these have any bearing on the impetus to read. I don't follow this line of reasoning.
I'm sorry but I do not agree with what you are saying. Having tested over and over again as both ENFP and Type 5 as well as finding them 100% me, I do not see a reason for what you are saying. You don't even know me. And majority of what you have said are assumptions on your part. Give me PROPER descriptions of either types from a reliable source and then show me how that is not me if you really want to "prove" that I am not ENFP 5.
t

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry I have to agree with @vrusimov. Type 5s' entire psychological structure revolves around remaining detached--emotionally, often socially, and sometimes even physically. There's often a real incapacity to interact in the moment. The Ne+Fi process lends itself to emotional expression and involvement with others, in the moment. So I find ENFP 5 to be a real contradiction in terms, and I'd be wary of describing it.

Again, there are many other sources to consult than 9types. I recommend actual books if you can get a hold of them; so many people utterly mistype due to the internet and its numerous tests and bad descriptions.

And, for the purposes of this thread, I'm more interested in knowing why you type as 5, and why you type as ENFP.
LOL thanks for your reply. I am quite flattered to be honest to hear that I am such a rarity. I have Helen Palmer's Enneagram book on my desk in front of me. I've read all the types, none of them apply to me except the five. I test as a five and I don't mean once probably over 50 times lol All the relationship combinations of type 5 descriptions mentioned in the book and on the Enneagram institute website (https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/the-enneagram-type-combinations/) describe my relationships with people to a T. The Sx/So 5 description found on this website for example also describes me perfectly. Here it is: https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/five-stacks/

My whole family have been studying MBTI for the past five years and all of them agree I'm an ENFP. What more proof do you guys want?

Just because people like me are rare, doesn't mean we don't exist. Plus, the ENFP type 5 description by Timeless fits me exactly. Here it is:

"Extroverted Intuition Types (ENTP and ENFP)
Extroverted Intuition is essentially the opposite of Extroverted Sensing: instead of focusing on present information, Extroverted Intuition brainstorms a myriad number of possibilities that may or may not be true.

ENxP Fives can therefore create expansive plans, some of which are abstract and some concrete. ENxP Fives can enter cycles where they are very extroverted (when they are out seeking information to add to their plans) or very introverted (if their plans become expansive enough to essentially overwhelm them.)"

Here's the link for that: http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-forum-investigator/65605-type-five-investigator-timeless-description.html

See with everything I mentioned I have provided proper descriptions and refernences. However, if you base your judgement on what you "feel" or "think" an ENFP and 5 should be than that is based on assumptions and wrong derivations.

Also, I super identify with the integration/disintegration lines of a 5. When I am stressed, I move to 7 and start being careless and chasing pleasure. No thinking before acting etc. However, if general I would say I am a very integrated 5 mainly because of my MBTI type which enables me to "integrate" and interact with others easily which is the biggest hurdle for 5s. The way for growth of a five is through interaction and I have that ability. I am very decisive, strong etc and can resemble an 8. But I am not an 8 for sure. I know I'm a 5 and ENFP like I know my name lol

Anyways, let me know if you have any additional comments or questions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you read an Sx description? Here's one for example, "SX dominant or secondary - focus, intense attraction, charge, electricity, addictions, days without sleeping, moth-to-flame attraction, obsessions..etc"

I never said because I'm Sx I like to read. I said I get so absorbed into what I'm doing that I loose sense of time. This is Sx. Sx is about addiction, intense attraction, days without sleeping etc

Here's the link for what I'm saying: Socionics - the16types.info - Instinctual Stackings

·
Registered
74 Posts
The other thing I would like to point out is with all due respect, it appears to me that neither of you is an ENFP nor type 5 so at least double check what you are saying about both types before commenting.

·
Registered
593 Posts

I think Michio Kaku is a pretty good example of a ENFP 5. A mixture of 5 detachment, Ne enthusiasm and Fi authenticity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think Michio Kaku is a pretty good example of a ENFP 5. A mixture of 5 detachment, Ne enthusiasm and Fi authenticity.

Hahahaha! I always thought he resembled me in a lot of ways (not that I'm a genius like him). We TOTALLY work as a bridge between "Science/abstract thinking" and "People/NF". Thank you. I think he is a perfect example of an ENFP 5.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The other thing I would like to point out is with all due respect, it appears to me that neither of you is an ENFP nor type 5 so at least double check what you are saying about both types before commenting.
I don't think anyone here is saying you're absolutely NOT an ENFP 5, simply that there's a contradiction in terms to those who understand both systems. As you point out, we don't know you, we only have your typed words here. So, there's a lot you need to show us before we understand how the two work together for you.

What I'm really interested in, is hearing an in-depth description of how you think the two work together. Since you are absolutely certain of your types, be so good as to enlighten the nay-sayers. How does it play out in your daily life? How do the defense mechanism of Isolation work in tandem with being an ENFP? How does your way of handling head center issues play into MBTI? How do your ego ideals as a 5 interact with your nature as an ENFP? How do your cognitive preferences work to shape your 5ness? Etc. Don't worry about going into depth, many people would benefit from personal testimony on this matter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think anyone here is saying you're absolutely NOT an ENFP 5, simply that there's a contradiction in terms to those who understand both systems. As you point out, we don't know you, we only have your typed words here. So, there's a lot you need to show us before we understand how the two work together for you.

What I'm really interested in, is hearing an in-depth description of how you think the two work together. Since you are absolutely certain of your types, be so good as to enlighten the nay-sayers. How does it play out in your daily life? How do the defense mechanism of Isolation work in tandem with being an ENFP? How does your way of handling head center issues play into MBTI? How do your ego ideals as a 5 interact with your nature as an ENFP? How do your cognitive preferences work to shape your 5ness? Etc. Don't worry about going into depth, many people would benefit from personal testimony on this matter.
Thanks for the clarification but what I understood from @vrusimov (and @vrusimov correct me if I'm wrong) is that I MUST be a mistype and I'm really an INFP 4w5! And you said you agree with him. Anyhow, it is not a big deal =)

Coming to your questions of how the two work together.

ENFP daily life, E5's need for isolation and ego-ideal

Being a five, I have a hunger for knowledge. To me, knowledge is the best asset anyone can have. Actually, it is not just an asset, in my 5 mind it is directly related to my survival. Especially knowing anything that would help me understand the world. When I study something, I don't leave it until I know everything about it inside-out. As one description mentioned, ENFP 5s tend to have periods of introversion followed by periods of extroversion followed by introversion .. etc and the cycle goes on. During my period of introversion (which can be days at a time), I am gathering information, researching, analyzing, understanding, reflecting, reading etc (hoarding knowledge) and once my brain is overloaded and buzzing with information, I need to talk to someone and share as much as possible (hence my extroversion) to empty the vessel so that I can load it up again with more 'new' information (leading to another introversion period). During my extroverted period ( which can vary but typically 2-3 days), I get all the human interaction I need to survive a introversion period of ~5-6 days. Also, during my extreme introversion time (when I am in the midst of researching some great information/idea) I really dislike interacting with people. I like to be totally isolated (sometimes I'm more tolerant than others). But I typically don't pick up the phone (for days at a time) or reply to texts etc (I know I know this is horrible but I'm working on it). If it's an emergency, my family know they should leave me a text, in which case I will reply for sure. So though I will read most texts, my mind tells me that it will take too much energy (E5 avarice) to reply to that text and I should rather spend that energy doing and enjoying this wonderful research about x lol Thus, my comment about how I can be more 'introverted' than my 'MBTI introverted' friends and that my interactions with people are almost always initiated by the other party. For example, my ISTP E1 roommate is the one who initiates almost all interactions (now the thing is though sometimes I feel bad that she is practically always the one knocking on my door to ask how I'm doing, hence once in a while I initiate simply to not make her feel odd. Same thing with other people.. ISFP E9, ISFJ E4, ENFJ E2 etc)

Head center issues and MBTI

For instance, one of the issues of type 5 is that [Fives believe if they sufficiently study the world, they will understand it. Once they understand it, they will have the confidence to act and cope with the outer world. Fives get stuck in an "analysis paralysis" where every answer they generate raises more questions, which they must answer.] This goes on and on without the 5 ever having the confidence to act and share the knowledge they have. This is one of the main issues of the Five.

In my case, I tend to behave as described above. However, having two type 8 parents and type 2 sister means I can only dream about that. My ENTJ E8 father and ESFJ E8 mother 'command' that I respond to them and interact with them spontaneously. Being an ENFP I love and adore my parents and I always want them to know that I hold them in high regard. Thus, I go out of my way to respond to them. (Not responding to an E8 is a recipe for disaster, thus I try to never do it). Also, my ENFJ E2 sister can be 'demanding' as well and will do everything in her being to get me to interact with her. (Read the type 5 + type 2 combination description).

Now the thing with me (ENFP 5) is that all it takes for me to snap out of the hermit mode is a single interaction of another (which I avoid the most). It is that first interaction that matters the most. The reason being is that when I am on my own in my head, I'm developing some idea and if I'm interrupted at that moment, then I lose track of where that idea was going. Thus, I avoid the first interaction. However, due to my lovely family, I am in a way forced to snap out of that mode frequently. So once I have a single interaction with my mom for example, I am no longer in hermit mode. At that point, I will reply back to my friend's message ..etc etc and interact and be the extrovert again, share the knowledge I learned and so on. Until another idea captures my mind and I'm off to my island.

Cognitive functions and being a 5

Ok so according to the cognitive functions test that I did, my highest function was Ti followed by Ne>Fi>Ni>Te>Si ... etc

If you look it and take away the Ti and Ni, you end up with Ne>Fi>Te>Si which are characteristic of the ENFP persona.

Now that test suggested that I am 'likely' an INTP. My speculation is that since my brain functions are not obvious of a particular MBTI type. They took into account ONLY my highest two (Ti and Ne) and said I'm likely INTP. Now that is inaccurate because 2 brain functions don't work on their own. The 4 brain functions work like a circuit, all 4 of them. I can't remember where I read this, but there was a study done to show how there were brain scans done to figure out someone's MBTI type by the apparent connection between the different brain functions. In other words, having Ti>Ne>Fi>Ni doesn't make sense not only due to the repetition of the N function but there's no brain circuit that connects the functions.

Thus, I believe I have the same brain functions as my fellow ENFPs except that I have both highly developed Ti and Ni (compared to other ENFPs). Now, this is not a surprise to me. I know through my 'interaction' (note my wording here) of other ENFPs that I am very different. However, I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that they are all type 7 or there's more to it. But I think it is because type 7 is what I disintegrate to and I associate it with my dark side, thus the clash. Now, coming to the reason I used the word interaction and it's because I want to point out that interaction is different from description! The online descriptions of ENFP as I pointed out many times now is descriptive of who I am and how I work. However, the style of day-to-day life of many ENFPs, their spontaneous reactions .. etc are very different from mine. And this is where stereotyping an MBTI type based on their day-to-day reactions etc. creates misconceptions. I'm the type of person that only talks when I know that I'm saying a) is correct b) is beneficial in some way to someone else (this is just an example). However, I find that many of the ENFPs I know (E7s) talk and make big judgement before they had a chance to think about what's being said. Of course there are numerous great things to note about other ENFPs, 7s included =) but I'm just pointing out how the 5s and 7s differ and where we clash.

Incompetence in ANYTHING is very hard for me (actually not only me but seeing it in others as well). I dislike it big times. It is my core fear. I MUST be competent in order to survive (E5). I must know what I'm saying. What I'm saying better be 100% correct. I can not tolerate incompetence which might not be a good thing at all but that is who I am. If someone says something that is not 100% correct, I can see it miles away and I'm almost always correct. For example, person A says to me 'xxxx'. If it is correct, even if I never heard of that particular statistic or such I instinctively know it is correct. Now, if it is not correct before they begin to describe anything (though I never interrupt the other person and typically let them say everything they have) I instinctively know that what they are saying is wrong or forged or inauthentic and I'm typically correct. Now that I think about it, I guess that is part of the reason why people always tell things they learned/heard; because they don't want to go research it etc they tell me and I tell them this doesn't sound right, do a quick search and learn why. I can be very hard to fool. If I let a person get away with something it is because I WANT to let them get away with it. The reason why this is, is because I know and often times I know too much. Dom Ne with E5 means you practically explored every idea to very deep depths. I am very very observant I catch everything going on around me. E5 are the observers and if you read the ENFP description of strengths and weaknesses that I linked in some other comment, the first strength mentioned for ENFPs is observant. So nothing escapes my radar.

So that's what I got for now. I tried to keep it short but if you would like me to elaborate on something or have any questions let me know!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts