Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Written by @WMDistraction

This blog post was originally going to include an example of how the idea for a Magic: The Gathering (MTG) deck ended up being more important than the hours I spent organizing the cards that I pulled out of the boxes, and how one friend was extremely confused about how that was, but I couldn't properly relate it in a way that effectively communicated my idea about the importance of ideas, so now this is a blog post about how important ideas are to ENFPs explained through a failed blog post that used an ineffective example as an example of the importance of ideas to ENFPs--or something. The grammar in that previous sentence should help, right?

Anyway, I think I more exactly mean that expressing ideas accurately is important to the ENFP. I went through two or three drafts of halfway-finished blog posts, and now here I am, writing about those exact blog posts that didn't work quite so well. They didn't convey the idea I had correctly. It's a problem I have frequently in every area of my life: I don't just tweak or rework the same idea if it doesn't work within the first few attempts; I scrap it altogether and try anew. Instead of one long, drawn-out example about a card game (MTG) hardly anyone understands, I'll use multiple abstract examples that require little-to-no understanding of the actual subject matter in order to help you fully comprehend what I'm trying to discuss.

First, a simple example:
When I write a paper, it has to be about something that really intrigues me--something that I actually want to explore further in order to learn more. If I can't do this, the paper may as well not be written. It will suck. I've written 4 page papers on the last 40 lines of Beowulf, and I've written 4 page papers on the entire character of Zeus in Zeus, the Lutheran. In the latter example, there will be no specific details or supporting arguments for my position; I will use bland and "meh" language; it will be boring. I must care about the idea in order to express it properly, except I don't have the option of scrapping the idea and doing something else. Fortunately, in college, I do normally have the option of tweaking what exactly I can discuss, but--excluding my English classes, which can usually be about anything covered throughout the entire semester--it doesn't help overly much. I'm stuck discussing the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, for (a real-life) example. I don't have any ideas to express, nor do I want to express the ideas I could use. To me, it's a lose-lose situation.

I wrote and re-wrote this blog post. After I post it, I probably will not be satisfied with it and I may come back to it (EDIT: I did). It's one thing I don't like about PerC: the 24-hour edit limit on posts. "BUT I REALLY THINK I SHOULD USE THE WORD 'PERTAINS' INSTEAD OF 'RELATES,' AND I AM NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE THAT?" I read and re-read almost everything I write in any medium I write it in, and I really think a lot about what I could change, what I should change, and what that would do to the quality of the post. I'd say, on average, I read every major post I put online (major meaning over 200 words) about 3 or 4 times before I forget about it completely. That doesn't include the fact that I read and re-read my posts before I hit "submit"--or whatever variation of that button is appropriate to the site.

As for my original idea--y'know, the MTG one--it had to do with an observation an ENFP (?) friend made about how unorganized my cards were ("Why don't you organize them? It's fun!" Right... so much fun). The cards were fairly organized previously, but I was playing with an idea for a deck that was pretty interesting because no one else used it and I never heard of it before. Getting that deck together was way more important than keeping my cards in their "proper" order. My cards were grouped by two principles: ideas for decks and "other." Nothing else mattered because I wanted my idea formed before anything else was taken care of.

As for this idea--the one about the importance ENFPs put on correctly and accurately conveying their ideas--I believe I did fairly well, maybe. I'll probably edit this post because of the few vagaries it has; I just have to find them. After all, very few people have interest in MTG, so I must make the description gripping in order for the reader to truly appreciate the point of that paragraph. What if I used one word in place of a more effective one? That's just filler! My ideas are important and deserve to be fully understood!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts