Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question about getting nervous in job interviews and got some helpful advice from some of the posters on this board. Thanks.

Anyway, I applied for a job with a cell phone company selling cell phones, plans etc... I just wondered if that was a good job for an ENFP. I am a little worried about becoming a manipulative person, but I choose to think of sales as a service. I am highly principled and want to make sure what I do is honest work.

So do you think the traits of the ENFP can lend themselves to sales or not?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well that all depends on what your value system tells you, I'm not sure we can answer this for you..

Of course the ENFP traits are perfect for selling stuff since they can convince anyone of anything, anytime but I think you'd also get profoundly bored.. I mean Ne is a theoretical function that likes activities which are rich in ideas and leave a lot of creative space, I'm not sure salesperson corresponds too well.

But we're also in a crisis and I'm not sure what kind of degree you have, if at all, so if you really need the job I'd say make sure you have some really good outlet on the side.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OH YEAH. I really do believe that you can do sales if you want to avoid being manipulative and you want to be honest with people. And I also believe that ENFPs are one of the best personalities for sales.

The best salesperson is one that can build strong business relationships with their customers. Building a relationship with a customer will cause a customer to want to come back to you for future business after the sale. Manipulating won't work because all that implies is lying and cheating the customer into buying something that they don't really want. It will result in a sale with the customer, but they aren't ever going to want to come back to you and buy more from you.

Building relationships with customers takes a lot of small things that add up to a lot. Things like first impressions, honesty, building trust, maturity, confidence, etc add up to a whole lot in how well you can get a strong relationship with the customer. Sales is basically making friends and making money off of it. To be able to do that, you have to be able to talk to a customer and listen to what their needs are and help them get a product or service you have that will help them with their needs. The more satisfied you can make a customer (within reason, sometimes you can't with what you have), the more likely that they will want to come back and buy from you in the future. That is a relationship with a customer. :wink:

Sales actually takes a lot of character and persistence, probably a lot more than other professions in my opinion. It also isn't something that you're going to be successful in a month. It's a constant journey of improving yourself as time goes on. I'm actually a Marketing major and I'm planning on going into Professional Sales when I graduate. That's a super small synopsis of sales in a few paragraphs. There's a lot more to sales than this. I would love to help you out with sales. Add me and I can help you out when you need it. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH YEAH. I really do believe that you can do sales if you want to avoid being manipulative and you want to be honest with people. And I also believe that ENFPs are one of the best personalities for sales.

The best salesperson is one that can build strong business relationships with their customers. Building a relationship with a customer will cause a customer to want to come back to you for future business after the sale. Manipulating won't work because all that implies is lying and cheating the customer into buying something that they don't really want. It will result in a sale with the customer, but they aren't ever going to want to come back to you and buy more from you.

Building relationships with customers takes a lot of small things that add up to a lot. Things like first impressions, honesty, building trust, maturity, confidence, etc add up to a whole lot in how well you can get a strong relationship with the customer. Sales is basically making friends and making money off of it. To be able to do that, you have to be able to talk to a customer and listen to what their needs are and help them get a product or service you have that will help them with their needs. The more satisfied you can make a customer (within reason, sometimes you can't with what you have), the more likely that they will want to come back and buy from you in the future. That is a relationship with a customer. :wink:

Sales actually takes a lot of character and persistence, probably a lot more than other professions in my opinion. It also isn't something that you're going to be successful in a month. It's a constant journey of improving yourself as time goes on. I'm actually a Marketing major and I'm planning on going into Professional Sales when I graduate. That's a super small synopsis of sales in a few paragraphs. There's a lot more to sales than this. I would love to help you out with sales. Add me and I can help you out when you need it. :)
Wow, you quelled all my doubts in one post. You basically said what I wanted to think about sales in your description. I would love the help to BTW. I think quotas really are a great way to stay motivated as compared to simple retail. I think I would be good. I marketed a class for my wife and maintained students as a tutor/teacher in China. That is something I talked about in my interview and it seemed to work well.

I had a great experience with a salesman when I bought a car in Feb. and really want to try and mimic that experience as best I can. He basically found out what I needed, wanted and expected through some inquiries, made some suggestions and let me choose and then we test drove and we ended up buying the car. We spent a little more money than we intended, but it was ok because our needs were met. I think sales really is a service and the more knowledge of the product you have the better you can serve the customer. Those are some of my thoughts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Salesmen positions find their most talented holders are ESTPs. ENFPs are surely capable of it and bring a unique and warm vibe to it, but the ESTP is the true master of persuasion. ENFPs are naturally good for morale within any workplace, so I would advise to offer services dealing with people about people, rather than with people about products.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Salesmen positions find their most talented holders are ESTPs. ENFPs are surely capable of it and bring a unique and warm vibe to it, but the ESTP is the true master of persuasion. ENFPs are naturally good for morale within any workplace, so I would advise to offer services dealing with people about people, rather than with people about products.
Yeah I would agree with you that ESTPs are very good at persuasion. I would also say that sales does have a lot of things to work with outside of persuasion. Things like really understanding what a customer is looking for in a product, calling a customer after selling to see if they are happy with what they bought, and having great creative problem solving skills to overcome problems that you or your customer may have. I really think that both types have a great talent at what they do, it's just a matter of capitalizing on what you are good at and overcoming what you aren't good at.

And Pizal, I just wanted to help you out with understanding what I learned. When I help others, I help myself :wink:. I received your friend request.

I think that those experiences are what helped you get into sales. And that experience from the car salesperson is a great illustration of what a real salesperson is. The manipulative, selfish salespeople aren't very good at what they do despite what they say. They also only make up a small percentage of all salespeople. Many of them are good.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I'm an INFP and I work in direct sales. I'm pretty good at it too. What I found interesting is that my ENFP and ESFP friends both said they couldn't do it. They thought they wouldn't be good at it.

Anyways, you can be good at sales, just have product knowledge, conviction, and be in it for the customer. Also, keep asking yes or yes questions. Do you like this one or this one better? Does this plan work for you or would this one be better for you? Would you like to pay cash or credit? ect. Good luck!

Reactions: Pizal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fellow ENFP checking in. Worked for a telco company on and off for 4 years and....it was awesome. You're going to love it. (providing that your team is a fun yet driven one)

Personally I loved the job for many reasons.

Learning the ropes was mentally engaging for me. All the different types of mobiles and plans and details was fun! The first couple of months were just about learning everything. And there is so much to learn! Slightly overwhelming, but after you figure out a method that works for you everything will just click. After the initial couple of months, you're more confident, you're fresh full of enthusiasm. These were the golden months for me. ENFP on fire. HAHA Charming the customers, getting them to confide in you. It's so important to listen to what they want, dig underneath and provide a package for their needs.

Your concerns are well founded. And I did find myself in a pickle sometimes...You have to balance what the manager wants from you (meeting sale targets), and the needs of the customer. You know the customer trusts you and WILL sign, but you know they can't afford this particular phone or plan/or doesnt really need that extra add on/should buy their accessories somewhere else that sells them for cheaper. Always go with your gut instinct and never ever do anything you will regret.

I don't think you will become a manipulative person. You are who you are. BUT over time I think your ability to convince will enhance(?) haha it is important to remember to use our ENFP traits for good. I was hanging out with a bad crowd and strayed a few times. But if you're aware of the possibility of that happening and keep tabs on it, I'm sure your will be fine. :]

Providing that you work for a good company. Telco sales are as honest as you make it out to be. You have the power.

But generally I thought telco sales was a good place for me as an ENFP. It was a constantly changing environment, every now and then you would get the strangest customer, or the oddest request. It was hard to get bored. :D The satisfaction you get from solving a problem that everyone else couldnt fix- by thinking outside of the box was always a good feeling! Having no deadlines was great, I just had to do what I did best and tally it up at the end of a day/month. Depending on my mood I would go through days where instead of selling I would just problem solve, fix, put on screen protectors. Even if I didn't meet my targets for whatever reason, the relationship I had with my coworkers and boss meant that I never got more than a gentle reminder to do better next time.

OH! One thing that doesn't come naturally to me is attention to detail. This was one thing that I had to overcome. Numbers in this job are very important. Choosing of mobile numbers, bank details, sim numbers and IMEI numbers of the phones and banking was something you will have to deal with daily. I compensated this by ALWAYS double checking numbers, in little groups of three, before submitting details. I was so worried about screwing up an order! LOL

Hope this helped, happy to answer any other questions or worries you have! :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Salesmanship is not a career for an ENFP. Although we're quite capable of it, it is a crappy environment for Fi. You'll mainly be indulging in Ne/Te loops, and your Fi will be totally ignored. I've been there to, it was fun for a while, then it just got pointless and redundant ("Why do I have to convince people to buy stupid random products they don't need to put $$ in big corpo's (whom I despise) pockets?"). ENTP's would do better at this since they have Ti and Fe, like ESTP's. Unlike us, their auxiliary function will be engaged at salesmanship.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts