Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post a picture of/describe your bedroom? (other types also welcome.)

inspired by an idea for a theory I had whilst staying over at a friend's house. The theory goes that:

1. people who lead with Fe (ESFJs and ENFJs) tend to have photocollages on their walls. Pictures of friends and loved ones, and also of themselves with friends and loved ones. They seem to collect mementos, such as tickets from concerts and movies they went to, cards made for them by friends, etc, and add these to their walls, too. This is what is important to them; by showing it on their walls, they extrovert their feelings about such things.

2. people who lead with Ti (ISTPs, INTPs) have very minimalistic approaches to decorating their rooms. They either leave their walls bare, or have a single photo/poster/picture or two, perhaps of a movie or actor they liked or a piece of art they were proud of (an INTP whose house I visited was an art student and had only two drawings on his walls)

3. people who lead with Fi (ISFPs, INFPs) now, I don't have much experience with these types because I don't think I've ever seen the room of an ISFP or an INFP... but I suspect that they might have a few select pictures they particularly liked.

4. people who lead with Te (ENTJs, ESTJs) complete lack of experience.

5. people who lead with Ne (ENFPs, ENTPs) wow. This proved alarmingly demonstrative of my theory.. or perhaps just a strange coincidence. An ENTP I knew at college had a bedroom that was identical to mine: same colour walls, same messiness/pile of clothes on the floor.. :tongue: his walls were covered in an assortment of pictures and posters from films that he considered important. He also had pictures of musicians, just like me. (I won't hesitate to add that he never saw my bedroom, so there's no way he could have consciously tried to imitate it.) I would also have to say that despite the seemingly identical nature of our rooms, I think the posters/photos he had were of films whose themes and motifs he considered important and valid by his own logical evaluation (secondary Ti), whereas I have similar things on my walls because of the heightened, raw way they make me feel (Fi). Because of the intensity of the feelings certain media evokes in me, I consider it important enough to stick on my walls.

6. people who lead with Ni (INFJ, INTJ) sadly, a lack of experience in this field.

7. people who lead with Se (ESFP, ESTP) my observation may not be valid as I'm not too sure what type this person may have been, though I suspect he was an ESFP. I think Se dominants' rooms would be tastefully furnished and stylishly decorated, with beautiful art and collected objects.

8. people who lead with Si (ISTJ, ISFJ) both my parents are these types. Neat, orderly rooms with everything in its proper place, clothes folded and put away and a few framed photos of family, or art handed down from family. Very minimalistic, simple decorations and wallpaper/carpets. As a child we used to stay at my grandfather's house, and my mother's (ISFJ) room was just as she left it as a young adult- she had mini drawers of adorable little ornaments and keepsakes, beloved stuffed animals. She kept old letters from my father, her father and her best friend, all in chronological order. If I remember rightly, the walls were very plain.

obviously there's always variation between individuals due to life experiences, circumstances, etc. This is just the bare bones of an idea I've been thinking over and am very curious about.

Here's my bedroom: room 1 .jpg room 2.jpg

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
My bedroom is pretty much divided up into zones

1. My bed, cork board with a few notes on it (don't have much yet), notes on the wall about driving safely (not that I ever read them...). My bedside table that holds my books and pjs.

2. My desk/office area with my computer, a variety of colouring pens, a small white board to jot notes down on, a printer. Theres also a wall behind it with notes about mental health services available in my area, phone numbers I need to memorise, daily routines and short term/long term goals. Next to my desk is a pile of stuff I can't think of a home for and a bookshelf.

3. ''Walk In'' Wardrobe with a clothing rack, shelves and drawers, a box of clothes that are too small for me but I am determined to get into again, a box of things (not clothes) that I am still attached to but don't use any more.

4. Cabinet of Medical/Dental/Period Stuff/Bathroom and Hygiene products and Beauty Products.

5. My charging station. Cute side table I got from IKEA with a British phone box sitting on it, plus whatever needs to be charged at that time (at the moment its my toothbrush).

6. Exercise area. I have the families rowing machine and xtrainer there at the moment.

I have a little bit of space in the middle of my room which I like to walk through and when our internet is better I will use to do floor exercises with my gym mat/ball. I have a big bedroom but its not colossal.

There's usually some washing/rubbish on the floor, my curtains are drawn most of the time and my bed usually isn't made, but I make a big effort to put things away and keep the floor clear because I went through a period of time when I lived in England when I kept stepping on things and breaking them. There's certain things that I would HATE to step on now.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
My room is very plain, but it is an utter mess. I guess I have all of my meaningful stuff(musical instruments, books, etc) lying about so I can pick them up and play/read them whenever. I also have a lot of trash and other junk in my room that I probably don't need. I have a pretty minimalistic room, but it's pretty messy.

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

4. people who lead with Te (ENTJs, ESTJs) complete lack of experience.
Prison cell chic. Like a monks cell. A large bed and a nightstand and that is it. The bed frame and nightstand are black lacquer and the bed has a black cover on it. The walls, doors and carpet are white. No distractions.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Complete and utter mess. I had a friend come over and I moved some clothes from the floor into the laundry bin and made my bed. Of course, we never went in my room and when I went in there to go to bed, I was shocked to see my bed made. And not in the, "go me!" kind of way, but in the staring at it for a minute being completely confused. I seriously didn't understand.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I have messy periods and clean periods. I get the feeling I'm tidier than most ENFPs. I don't like cleaning, but I do feel much more relaxed/content in a clean and organized environment.

Ne-doms, from what I've seen, often are into collecting funny novelty objects and absurd/amusing decor. I like making/customizing furniture/appliances and scavenging weird things from strange little places. I'm allergic to a room that feels too "I bought all of this at Ikea."

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
My poor bedroom. I am the messiest person in the world--my bed is never made--I have tons of pillows on it--my clothing will lay on the side of my bed until I begrudgingly scoop all of it up and shove it in the laundry basket--which is almost always overflowing.

I have tons of "IMPORTANT" stuff everywhere--I have to have crystals, little meaningful statues, little meaningless statues that I felt sorry for because I thought they might be lonely and didn't want them to end up in the trash, rocks from various places, fossils I've bought and found, books and books, some houseplants that have managed to survive despite my neglect, board games that I never use and art supplies that i rarely use.

I have a picture I drew of my goals--which is a woman with six arms--each arm holding a symbol for what i want to achieve (actually only four of the arms are holding symbols).

That and some other pictures I drew are propped up--but the only picture I have hanging on the wall is a giant poster of deep sea creatures--they have huge teeth and creepy eyes, and for some reason I hang that over my bed. Maybe that's why I sleep so well--jk.

Oh my gosh--and I don't even want to start on my car. :(

I think I just need to get rid of everything. I do go through periods where I get rid of stuff and organize...and clean. Then it just gets dirty again! It's so frustrating.

Edit: Soothfully--I actually have an extremely OLD down pillow on my bed--at this moment--that I ripped a hole in by accident one night, because it's so old and I was moving it....it's leaking feathers right now, as I speak (though that must be in really slow motion--and I'm not really speaking anyway).

I don't know what to do with it so I just leave it there. Feathers are so cool--and they don't really bother me that much because they look like snow. Besides--birds use feathers to make their nests--maybe my bed is just like a very cozy birds nest. Except that I don't crap in my bed like birds do, thankfully.

And somewhere in my mind I am thinking "I will make something with this down." --Hey, talking about this has actually given me a plan of action--I'm going to pour the down out in the chicken coop for the chickens. Awesome. It'll be like white Christmas in Chickendom.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prison cell chic. Like a monks cell. A large bed and a nightstand and that is it. The bed frame and nightstand are black lacquer and the bed has a black cover on it. The walls, doors and carpet are white. No distractions.
why did I somehow expect something like this.. :laughing: maybe it's something to do with my dad having Te as a second function, his side of my parents' bed is similarly monkish as your description.

Reactions: Mr Canis

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My bedroom is chock-full of books (two bookshelves and a whole slew of floorstacks), a bunch of figurines (game/anime ones), knick-knacks, papers, clothes, movie ticket stubs, concert stubs, cat haaaaaair, magazines I've collected from work, a couple of stuffed toys, some CDs and DVDs (most of those are in the lounge room), and my walls are partially covered in posters of Jim Morrison/The Doors/a couple of TV and movie posters. I used to cover my walls from floor to ceiling, leaving no white spaces whatsoever. But after a while I felt claustrophobic.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've had several bedrooms over the past year what with my constant moving around but they're always messy and have rather unusual decorations. I used to hang up the calendars I would get for Christmas but then eventually forget to turn the page if the picture of the month was one I liked. I had random pictures hung up as well. My bed is never made and sometimes it's so messy there are sheets and blankets falling off (I just bunch them around me at night and don't worry about straightening- it's that habit that's gotten me tangled in my blankets when I wake up). My clothes are always in bunches on the floor. I have random trinkets that I use to decorate my room. It's really not that exciting to tell the truth.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I could show you what it looks like... but then I'd have to kill you. :tongue:

It is SO messy. Things everywhere. I've never really had posters or photos up on my walls, although I have two of my favourite singers now. Partly because we haven't lived in our own, bought house since I was very little, so I was never allowed to use sticky tape or thumbtacks or hang anything up with nails. Hmm this may change next year when I go to university!

I'm a hoarder, so I have a lot of stuff everywhere, including quite a few novelty items. Anything colourful, something that looks like something else, or fun in general! To give some examples: my clock looks like a frying pan, I have a movie clapper chalkboard, my nail polish collection is displayed on a shelf on my bookcase, I have acquired a lot of fake (as in plastic) fruit... :p

I'm still in the process of thinking up a super-flexible clothes storage system since I drawers and coathangers seem to be pointless in my room!

·
Registered
477 Posts

6. people who lead with Ni (INFJ, INTJ) sadly, a lack of experience in this field.

There is two differents things in the wall of my room : plan, schedule , calendar, flowchart . The other is some mystic talisman that said to keep luck or something like this. I think it reflete perfectly the duality of our Rationnality (Ni - Ti ) and Irrationnality (Ni - Fe ) and a little bit symbolism (like I have a scales that represent justice ) and some chinese artifact that said it s usefull to protect and be protected (a qilin )

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
My bed area is usually tidy, because I'd get annoyed at myself and thus go on a cleaning rampage if it wasn't relatively tidy. However, that means relatively tidy for me. I am known to have clothes do the journey of chair - bed - chair until they're either worn or hung in my wardrobe. Piles of clothes on the floor, whilst most of wall space is dedicated to bookshelves. My entire apartment is full of books and so that takes up most of my space. I have a poster of Che Guevara to remind myself that 10 years ago I was a Communist and that I care about social justice. Plus, I admire Che's dedication to his cause. I also have a picture of my old dog, my grandma and a picture of myself with the Chelsea Football Club on my wall. I have a purple dreamcatcher mounted above my bed that was handmade for my birthday by an ex gf which I refuse to get rid of.

I have a watercolour I bought in Mongolia mounted by my door just above a bookshelf with a Buddhist fetish to ward off evil that I was given by a stranger in Dharamshala, India. My PC which is on an exceptionally messy desk littered with books, papers (and to my shame, the occasional sweet wrapper). My room is charted chaos, I know where each and every thing is, so tidying my room would be a disaster.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I definitely like my room to look "full" but organized. Growing up, I covered my walls with lots of pictures and posters I thought were pretty and/or I had some sort of emotional attachment too. I've never lived by myself and have always had extremely small rooms, up until recently, so everything I owned had to work in a tiny amount of room. Since I've moved, everything looks pretty barren. I've hung up pictures everywhere BUT in my room (and think I'll leave my room minimalist, for now). I'm just not used to having this much space. It's funny, how it looked like I had so much "stuff" in my smaller rooms; but really, I don't even have enough stuff to fill up my current residence.

I hope to, someday, have a room with a view- not dissimilar to this.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
There's nothing interesting to see in my bedroom.
When we moved here, the walls were already painted a blue shade that I just so happen to hate.
I can't bring myself to put anything on the walls...anything!
So, yeah, boring blue walls, with a nice bedspread on a king sized bed and a few natural wood toned dressers (also not picked by me.) Blah.
Another thing that bothers me is that my SO does not put his clothes away, so instead of in the dresser or closet, they are upon the dresser or stacked next to it. HATE that. So instead of becoming a shrew...I've chosen to not care.
If I didn't share a room, I'd probably make it "my own." But I share and so I don't "own it" which I guess means that I can't care.

Reactions: chickydoda

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have more artwork then I have room for my walls (or at least to be considered safe). My furniture is from Ikea so everything is relatively low because at the time I was into the asian-style look. I have a lot of books and basically my artwork that I have in my room reflects my interests and has some aspect that I think reminds me of myself. I have a real neat art piece that is basically a collage of me and my friends! ^_^ And then I have one large wall dedicated to basically anything buy in the moment... Audrey Hepburn is proudly on my door, and then I have floating bookshelves that has all my little collectibles, and then my closet wall has two pictures I got at Anime Expo 2011. :)
Room Colors: Orange, Black, Blue, Pink, Green, Red, Yellow
I would take a picture of it but uh... How to put it... it's sorta messy right now... :laughing:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts