Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Vivian :) Nice to meet you all here...

I am one of the happiest people... really... and my type is ENFP
I got higher than average GPA and enjoy doing school activities.
I can be a singer, MC, school entertainer... whatever... I love to help people and cheer them up.
My GPA is nearly 4 and I'm in science major - taking physics, AP Math, Chemistry, and Biology.

From what people see me at young age, they think I am intellegent, and try to cheer me to get a job relate to finance or something. (Oh! I used to be a nerd, but rather a VERY talkative ones, but not anymore) So I make a compromise to study Laws instead, but now having a problem that it doesn't suit me. I don't want to cuddle with books....and act serious all the time...

I had a few internships and jobs... I love the most is the job relate to people
The seniors workers did say that I am a very lively person, and they can see the difference of my mood on the day I work at the table, and the day I meet people... Totally they see me extremely happy when I work with people. But my parents think that I can work with documents or office style...or finance...

Should I follow them?
Do you have any advices on studying? I got many friends and teachers said I can go into mass communications while my parents said I can go into finance and continue my Laws study... hell that it totally opposite

Also I need advices on career 'coz I don't know how it gonna end up

NOTE: my dad is an ISTJ and mom is a ISFJ (from what I try to figure out...)

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
With that kind of science back ground I would say Medicine, Biologist, or some kind of FUN scientific field. I personally like public safety I work with SF EMS Division and I just love my ride along. I'm personally getting a EMT License in April, then my Paramedic next year while working on my 4 year Political Science Major or /Marine Biology haven't decided yet. Its all the matter of what your best at and what you do most that is what your good at.

Reactions: sassy.girl

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think the only person you should follow is yourself as I know it takes passion to follow through. It sounds like you are naturally talented in a lot of subject areas, so I think most jobs would suit you. I said this in a related post, but if you look at ENFP career choices, by far ENFP's have the most career choices because of our interest in so many subject areas.

I work in an office and as much as the stereotype for them goes it can either be true or not true. Offices have people in them, and more often than not they need help and have a strong emphasis on team - so these environments are just as prone to use your empathy as non-office related job and it can be quite rewarding. If you decide to choose an office job, it's important to have a manager that has a 'loose strings' approach in their management style. Having a micromanager will make you cringe.

I thought about finance myself, but these office environments are very prone to bureaucracy and they reward individuals that play the game. ENFPs tend to dance to the beat of their own drum and have little ego, so its important to find a job that rewards this behaviour and gives you the freedom to be creative. So my advice is more geared towards environment than an actual career choice as this is the number one factor that will make you happy to wake up in the morning.

Reactions: sassy.girl

·
Registered
317 Posts
I work as a geologist.
It is a great career for an ENFP. Intrigue, change, low job security (hehe us ENFPs can tolerate that better than most), a lot of flexibility, and a lot of resourcefulness.

Specifically now I work on drilling rigs (and I am a woman). In the winters I am a geological field coordinator. I manage geologists and problem solve and collect data. And I have to communicate alllll the time with all different kinds of people. Drilling projects have so much change and most people can't deal with that very well - but an ENFP can!
They are also a true team project. And project meaning, it comes to an end - no finish up work - just make it happen!!

The tradesmen love me and even though I butt heads with a few strong ESTJs (my nemesis), they can't help but respect me because I do my job well. The ISTPs (like my fiance) are actually weird kindred spirits and there are a few Ns all around. Interesting people with interesting lives.

Plus on the drilling rigs, you can do your job however you want! I have no supervision and as long as I do my job and do it well, I can knit, watch TV, play games, socialize, etc. And you can't procrastinate because you just have to do it all NOW :)

Really, it is a fantastic job choice for an ENFP

Oh, and also I don't have to work all year. I work hard in the winter and take months of summer off for travel, hobbies, living etc.
And you *can* work it so you can live wherever you want.

And you make a LOT of money

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey sassy girl!

I haven't read the thread, but one possible career would be medicine. My best friend is an enfp, and she studies medicine with me. She's thinking about working with health and prevention of illness. She's a true inspirer and I think she's gonna be a wonderful doctor. As an enfp I think you are good at reading people and to see "the whole picture", which many doctors dont seem to do.

All the best!!!

1,750 Posts
Finance would probably make you miserable - lots of red tape, acting fake, doing paperwork, bleh. I agree with others above: perhaps medicine or field research would be more your cup of tea!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe Nursing? If I had a stronger stomach for blood and such, I think I would love to be a nurse! And you're really smart so you would do well!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Vivian, unfortunately our parents (and teachers/professors etc) often give us some of the most inappropriate career advice, but usually they do it out of love. They want the best for us, they want us to be safe, well looked after and in a ‘good career’ with ‘steady prospects’ because they worry about us. That’s what parents do.

Sadly their advice to find good, steady jobs with safe companies and good prospects doesn’t always work. This is both because the job may not be appropriate for the person (Compassionate Misanthrope is right, finance isn’t really a good move for most ENFPs) and also a there isn’t as much stability in many traditional fields any more – finance is a good example, many there have lost jobs.

Regarding career choices, have a look at ENFP section of personality page and the blog of personality junkie as they have a lot of good ideas.

ENFPs tend to be good at things that are on the cutting edge, as well as things that require breadth across a number of areas, though not necessarily a lot of depth in one area (I think that’s our Ne coming into play). If you are interested in the medical area there are a number of fields that are much more people and communication (ie talking!) focused than being a doctor like health promotion, the relatively new field of medical communications and some types of nursing. I read a thread somewhere else here from an ENFP nurse who loves her job, if I can find it I’ll send it to you.

And as many ENFPs (me included) tend to idealize things, including intended career paths, it’s a great idea to actually check something out before you commit to it. As well as doing an internship, try finding someone who does a job you are interested in and asking if you can come to work with them for a few days to shadow them – then you’ll see the good & bad parts & have a good idea if it’s something you could really see yourself doing.

And if your parents are both S types, they may wants facts/data about any possible career choices you make to persuade them that it’s a good move for you, like potential income ranges, likely employers, job titles etc, especially if it’s something that they are not familiar with. High school/college careers offices often have this sort of info.

Good luck with your choices.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I am going to have to side with naturenut... Parents and guidance counselors give very bad advice. If I would have to do it allover again, I would... I've been trying to do a career change now for the last few years and it is quite difficult.
I was in a similar position as you... So here is my advice, I wouldn't think ANYTHING of having a high GPA, and doing well in math and science classes. I took AP Chem, AP Stats and all of that good stuff in h.s. also, had over a 4 gpa and top 10 in my class, won computer fair and science fair, not to toot my own horn... But I was also good in AP English, AP Lit, Humanities courses, played sports also and did volunteer stuff. Basically I was an excellent student, made straight A's, all of that.
But just an advice, if you are good at a lot of things, you need to do some serious soul searching. Being smart has nothing to do with how well you'll like your job or your personality type. I was lured into doing computer science/information systems way back in 1999 when it was the "hot" thing to do. Horrible career choice. Not that I haven't had a fun life, but I have absolutely hated every single job I had and it caused me to have a bit of a quarter life crisis. I am just now getting back to how I used to be and rediscovering myself.
You know, things I am actually INTERESTED in or I actually ENJOY? I think I forgot what that even felt like, to be interested in things, it's a great feeling.
Given what you already said, I would highly advise doing something that is going to make you happy. Stop thinking about the money or what the people want you to do... You aren't going to make much money if you get burnt out and end up quitting your jobs are you? :) The best job I had since I was 22 was in between jobs, one I took working in the back at a restaurant that paid 10 bucks an hour. That should shed some light on how much I have hated my jobs.

And if your parents are both S types, they may wants facts/data about any possible career choices you make to persuade them that it’s a good move for you, like potential income ranges, likely employers, job titles etc, especially if it’s something that they are not familiar with. High school/college careers offices often have this sort of info.
Haha... Just that thought makes me CRINGE!!! Again, what is the point of doing that, if you are just going to get burnt out, be miserable and quit your job... that whole INCOME is going to drop to 0.

·
Registered
317 Posts
NatureNut and jd_ are totally right.

I graduated high school (top of the class) and went into engineering because I liked and was good at Physics and that that "the thing to do" then.
Anyway I ended up dropping out and took up earth and ocean science with geology because I am passionate about nature and subjective science. It was not a field known for its job prospects. Fast forward to my grad year, 2005 - Geology turned HOT. Huge money and lots of jobs. The recession kind of put in a slump but it's hot again.

Point is, you can't ever predict what the job markets will be when you are working. Don't base your career choice on what's hot NOW.

Base it on what you love doing.

Another alternative is one of my friends did a degree in creative writing and then a visual arts diploma. Then she took a 6-month office administration course. Hello government job with lots of time off and steady pay to work on her art! In this case, her job is a tool to work on her passion. That's another option :)

Use your passions to find your path.

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,127 Posts
Jobs that I held, two of which I might have not minding turning into careers: bartender, teacher, veterinarian. I was way too soft hearted for the vet work, making myself sick worrying about my patients. Bartending rocked, but had lousy hours. Teaching rocked, but came with lousy pay.

If I was to pick a career now, especially if I did not have to focus on money so much, I would choose a field science that gets me out and about in the wilds and is not the same day to day.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm Vivian :) Nice to meet you all here...

I am one of the happiest people... really... and my type is ENFP
I got higher than average GPA and enjoy doing school activities.
I can be a singer, MC, school entertainer... whatever... I love to help people and cheer them up.
My GPA is nearly 4 and I'm in science major - taking physics, AP Math, Chemistry, and Biology.

Sounds like you'd be a great event planner
Or go into fundraising.

Just because you are good at Math and Science doesn't mean you have to use that ability. I bet you are also good at English, Social sciences and music. Why does that not seem to be worth anything nowadays??

I was an exceptionally talented musician but I never went forward with that and I don't regret not having the musician life. It's enriched my life but doesn't have to BE my life.

(trade "musician" with "scientist" and that could be you)

·
Registered
317 Posts
@Zster

Look into being a geotech if you like that stuff. Or work in a remote field camp.
Mining and exploration has quite a few jobs right now. Even in Alaska or the western states. Most are contract though...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Haha wayupnorth... Engineering and Computer Science are hot every 4 years or so. :p I mean, they are always good paying jobs but it seems like people are talking about it every now and then. Law was hot in the mid 2000's, now it's a BUST. Journalism was hot in the 90s... Look at it now.
And yes, GIS is hot right now. Geology is cool, I took it as one of my science electives and did Geology lab (we basically went camping up in the mountains or at the beach and did surveys)
And yes, you don't have to do math just b/c you are good at it... Technology has a good place for me, it helps me out... doesn't mean I want to do programming all day though.

To quote Bob Dylan... and this is how I feel about a bunch of the math and science folks I used to mingle with...

"All the people we used to know
They're an illusion to me now
Some are mathematicians
Some are carpenter's wives
Don't know how it all got started
I don't what they're doing with their lives
But me I'm still on the road
Heading for another joint
We always did feel the same
We just saw it from a different point of view"

·
Registered
27 Posts
I work as a geologist.
It is a great career for an ENFP. Intrigue, change, low job security (hehe us ENFPs can tolerate that better than most), a lot of flexibility, and a lot of resourcefulness.
Sounds great, I was thinking of being a geologist when i was in high school, but I got distracted......Still a big interest area for me & I read a lot about it and have taken a lot of courses. Sounds like you have fun.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
This is how I figured out a few ideas for my future career!

1) What do I like to do? Travel, write, talk to people, be in natural places, experiment, watch films etc
2) What degree will I get? One in film studies
3) What opportunities are there in film? Industry, freelance, creative, theoretical.
4) Any jobs in the film industry I can link to my likes? Yes, location scout, Foley artist, runner, distribution (like advertising etc).

So I arrived at location scout or Foley artist, but also have two or more other options :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts