Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Oh man, deep thoughts and theories are like who I am on the inside...it exhausts me just thinking about typing some of it out. I'd need pages and pages.

Personally, I could have a deep conversation about pretty much anything...seriously, I even have theories on McDonald's haha!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm glad someone else replied first because I had my mouse hovering over the post button for a reply that consisted solely of "Dubstep. Wubwubwubwub."

I don't know if I can be serious and deep on demand without context or a topic. Or maybe it's just the pressure!

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew you guys would say that. That's why I prepared some topics. So topic #1...

1. Do you think that teaching advanced maths in high school is important? Is it practical to teach it? If only a select few of careers needs that level of advanced math, do you think universities make you take those courses just to make money off you? Why does a dentist need to know calculus?

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I knew you guys would say that. That's why I prepared some topics. So topic #1...

1. Do you think that teaching advanced maths in high school is important? Is it practical to teach it? If only a select few of careers needs that level of advanced math, do you think universities make you take those courses just to make money off you? Why does a dentist need to know calculus?
Yes, I think it's important, because every kid learns at a different pace. It would be unfair to expect a kid who has never seen math before to take an algebra class, and it would also be unfair to keep a kid in a math class he or she isn't being challenged in. Both can have a negative affect on a person.

As far as advanced math being a requirement in many fields even if they won't directly use it in their career...yes, I think it's important, because math can build and strengthen thought processes. If a person is going into a field that can affect the well-being of others (whether directly, or indirectly), then I think it's very important they are skilled critical thinkers.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wait, details of educational policy count as deep topics? I always thought of deep topics as things like, Does belief in a soul require belief in God? or Can the existence of free will be reconciled with a wholly deterministic universe? or How can one face the tremendous amount of suffering in the world without giving in to despair?

But hey, if you want to talk about grain subsidies or patent law I guess I'm down.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Wait, details of educational policy count as deep topics? I always thought of deep topics as things like, Does belief in a soul require belief in God? or Can the existence of free will be reconciled with a wholly deterministic universe? or How can one face the tremendous amount of suffering in the world without giving in to despair?

But hey, if you want to talk about grain subsidies or patent law I guess I'm down.
Yeah, this topic was a surface scratcher, but at least she threw out an idea! :)

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Haha sorry if my picture of "deep" seems a bit shallow

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Haha sorry if my picture of "deep" seems a bit shallow
It's not shallow...I'd prefer to call it a "surface scratcher", or an "ice breaker" :) It could be a debate topic depending on the different views coming from the people involved in the discussion!

·
Registered
541 Posts
No, it's cool, don't worry. This is actually easier, though I don't know if you'll get different insights from different personality types.

To answer your question, in addition to the other reasons that have been given, everyone should learn a bit beyond the basics in fields outside their own so they have a better appreciation for the work that other people do.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about the power of the mind and what the Bible says it's capable of. There's wayyy too much to type out for my liking, but this will be interesting... :)

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, okay. I have a good one. :)

What would a world made up of only NFs look like? What would be the advantages, disadvantages?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Necro'ing, but oh well!

Advantages - NF's would give an unmatched level of caring and personal support to everyone, the world would *generally* be a much better place filled with a lot more love. The 'N' side would lead to a lot of great ideas centered around people focused initiatives, I'm wondering how much would actually get accomplished. Probably those with 'J' in their letters would have the drive for completion.

Disadvantages - An NF gone bad with twisted ideals... well, they'll pretty much topple everything built up with a cold intelligence of how to successfully influence and manipulate people. Could be pretty horrible...

I feel like there would be a lot of extremes and intensity in general.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not to mention we'd NEVER get anything done, ever. I mean, we come up with the best ideas but can you see yourself implementing them? >.< I have enough difficulty with writing an essay once I've laid down all my ideas xD.
Not to mention actually having to set up a psychology experiement after I've designed it =(

I guess the NFJ's could get some stuff done, but I don't think it would be efficient unless we had a slave gang of SJ's doing all the actual work :p

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Ah, life. It begins and ends and stuff happens in the middle. The stuff sometimes sucks and sometimes is really cool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts