Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many other ENFPs have developed a pretty good Te. I am almost 24 years old and I can say that I am finally beginning to get a handle on it. It is odd though, because I am so used to using my Ne with all of my randomness and spontaneity. I never EVER liked to organize or plan for things growing up...even in college when it was most needed. I kind of winged it. Like when I would have a project or a paper due I would wait until the last minute and just kind of randomly do something. My friends would get so mad at me not only for waiting until the last minute but also because most of the time I would get a better score on that project/paper/test when they studied all night or prepared for it weeks in advance. :tongue: Anyway, recently I have been learning how to organize my life better in order for me to actually get things done that I have been wanting to do for so long. For example I am now finally scheduling time out of my day (even after my 8 hour day work schedule in a lonely dark office, yuck yuck yuck! :frustrating:) to work out. And also planning my meals ahead of time. I have to force myself to do it...and I actually have a little planner/check-list app on my phone that reminds me when to do something. It is so helpful...especially with my random crazy nonsensical mind when I would just forget to do certain things because I get so lost in thought haha. It just helps me establish order. How have you fellow ENFPs developed your Te? Is there any helpful tips you can give to any other ENFPs reading this post on how you have strengthened it and or seen other ENFPs do that might make it easier for us? Also, have you seen any improvement in your life after developing your Te and how difficult was it for you to initially work on strengthening it?

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I was wondering how many other ENFPs have developed a pretty good Te. I am almost 24 years old and I can say that I am finally beginning to get a handle on it. It is odd though, because I am so used to using my Ne with all of my randomness and spontaneity. I never EVER liked to organize or plan for things growing up...even in college when it was most needed. I kind of winged it. Like when I would have a project or a paper due I would wait until the last minute and just kind of randomly do something. My friends would get so mad at me not only for waiting until the last minute but also because most of the time I would get a better score on that project/paper/test when they studied all night or prepared for it weeks in advance. :tongue: Anyway, recently I have been learning how to organize my life better in order for me to actually get things done that I have been wanting to do for so long. For example I am now finally scheduling time out of my day (even after my 8 hour day work schedule in a lonely dark office, yuck yuck yuck! :frustrating:) to work out. And also planning my meals ahead of time. I have to force myself to do it...and I actually have a little planner/check-list app on my phone that reminds me when to do something. It is so helpful...especially with my random crazy nonsensical mind when I would just forget to do certain things because I get so lost in thought haha. It just helps me establish order. How have you fellow ENFPs developed your Te? Is there any helpful tips you can give to any other ENFPs reading this post on how you have strengthened it and or seen other ENFPs do that might make it easier for us? Also, have you seen any improvement in your life after developing your Te and how difficult was it for you to initially work on strengthening it?
I thank strong secondary Self Preservation and being an accounting major for helping me develop Te. the business world forces a kind of hyper realism onto NFs which hardly comes naturally.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Te isn't really that complex. Just make a plan for things you have to do and stick to it. ;)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I like the way you imagine that developing Te looks like. I also think that when Te is a larger part of personality it makes you more planned and practical.

Imagine yourself as the captain of a vessel. You are the one responsible for the entire ship and crew. Whatever decision you make affects them all, so you better make the right one. Some may not like what you do but you do it for the best interest of everyone, and seeing that your goals are achieved and crew spared gives you the confidence to keep going.
Take that picture and apply it to your life; take charge of it and make sure you'll always reach harbour again no matter where you venture,.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I like the way you imagine that developing Te looks like. I also think that when Te is a larger part of personality it makes you more planned and practical.

Imagine yourself as the captain of a vessel. You are the one responsible for the entire ship and crew. Whatever decision you make affects them all, so you better make the right one. Some may not like what you do but you do it for the best interest of everyone, and seeing that your goals are achieved and crew spared gives you the confidence to keep going.
Take that picture and apply it to your life; take charge of it and make sure you'll always reach harbour again no matter where you venture,.
Nicely said. It's kind of like Harbinger from Mass Effect: Assuming direct control.
It's like telling yourself "Enough! This is how we are going to do it from now on, whether you like it or not!".
I don't let my body decide what happens, I will control every action to get the best possible outcome.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Nicely said. It's kind of like Harbinger from Mass Effect: Assuming direct control.
It's like telling yourself "Enough! This is how we are going to do it from now and, whether you like it or not!".
I don't let my body decide what happens, I will control every action to get the best possible outcome.
Thank you! I could never do that though. Responsibility and planning just isn't my thing :laughing:

Reactions: Ninjaws

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Te isn't really that complex. Just make a plan for things you have to do and stick to it. ;)
bawhahahaha!

Bless you; said as a classic ENTJ. When you say it like that, it seems oh so simple.
(so says the ENFP long time married to an ENTJ)

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
bawhahahaha!

Bless you; said as a classic ENTJ. When you say it like that, it seems oh so simple.
(so says the ENFP long time married to an ENTJ)
Oh believe me, it's hard to resist the urges, especially when you are doing something you don't really want to do.
However, not doing it means you 1.) Hate yourself for not making progress, and 2.) Are not making progress.
It turns into a nasty cycle of stress, anger and selfhatred. It is a very painful state for me to be in, so I try not to fall into it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Draw up a daily schedule and loosely stick to it. Become best friends with your planner book. You will accomplish many more of your goals during the day and consequently, will feel much more fulfilled. Only you can make your big ENFP dreams happen. There are people far less talented that don't have your big heart and big vision who are accomplishing more because they do those practical steps that you don't do. Don't let them beat you! :wink:

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
"developing your Te" would depend on which direction you're trying to develop it in..

For example, obviously the most common direction will be toward understanding people- both yourself and others.. In that case, Psychology and Sociology are the definition of what will help you develop in this direction.. e.g. your Fi will say "this person feels good/bad in this way, and I agree/disagree with them in this way" and have an emotional reaction- your Te then butts in and says "yes, but consider this aspect of Psychology which is probably why he is acting this way".

Every application of Te is different, since it's just an accumulation of objective logical data about a subject.

I actually think as an ENFP you shouldn't follow your Te too much. Te is tempting to overcommit to because it is so sensible and practical, and it has every perspective your parents ever told you was good to apply to your life. However, you are a certain type for a reason, and for example usurping Fi with Te too often will make an ENFP feel slightly dislocated with their true nature. I think it's more important to follow your true nature than to follow a way just because it "seems like the right thing to do". In the end you'll feel more fulfilled that way because you are designed that way for a reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my opinion, the best way to develop Te is simply to get things done. A lot of NF's struggle with procrastination and being a bit lazy and daydreamy in general, including myself. As users here already mentioned, make schedules and stick to them. Also, don't postpone things, just because the thought of the task itself is unpleasant. It all comes down to willpower, pretty much :p. It's actually harder to do than it sounds though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Te makes life boring... What would we do without all the awesome people who haven't developed it yet?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Te makes life boring... What would we do without all the awesome people who haven't developed it yet?
I agree that Te can be boring sometimes but I have seen a drastic change in how I am able to get things done and plan better. I still very much have my Ne and Fi ruling most of my decisions on a daily basis though...just needed to tweak some things in order to actually accomplish important tasks like applying for grad school and working out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thank strong secondary Self Preservation and being an accounting major for helping me develop Te. the business world forces a kind of hyper realism onto NFs which hardly comes naturally.
An ENFP accounting major?? That is pretty rare haha.

Reactions: UnicornRainbowLove

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"developing your Te" would depend on which direction you're trying to develop it in..

For example, obviously the most common direction will be toward understanding people- both yourself and others.. In that case, Psychology and Sociology are the definition of what will help you develop in this direction.. e.g. your Fi will say "this person feels good/bad in this way, and I agree/disagree with them in this way" and have an emotional reaction- your Te then butts in and says "yes, but consider this aspect of Psychology which is probably why he is acting this way".

Every application of Te is different, since it's just an accumulation of objective logical data about a subject.

I actually think as an ENFP you shouldn't follow your Te too much. Te is tempting to overcommit to because it is so sensible and practical, and it has every perspective your parents ever told you was good to apply to your life. However, you are a certain type for a reason, and for example usurping Fi with Te too often will make an ENFP feel slightly dislocated with their true nature. I think it's more important to follow your true nature than to follow a way just because it "seems like the right thing to do". In the end you'll feel more fulfilled that way because you are designed that way for a reason.
I understand what you are saying. I do like the fact that we are all different and have different ways of thinking and doing things. But it can't hurt to develop it just a little can it? I've only seen good come from planning things out and actually sticking with it. I still am able to keep my loveable ENFP personality around haha. My life was honestly a mess when my Te wasn't as developed...even though I was stubborn and thought I didn't need to change certain ways of doing things! :p

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
draw up a daily schedule and loosely stick to it. Become best friends with your planner book. You will accomplish many more of your goals during the day and consequently, will feel much more fulfilled. Only you can make your big enfp dreams happen. There are people far less talented that don't have your big heart and big vision who are accomplishing more because they do those practical steps that you don't do. Don't let them beat you! :wink:
beautiful answer

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I understand what you are saying. I do like the fact that we are all different and have different ways of thinking and doing things. But it can't hurt to develop it just a little can it? I've only seen good come from planning things out and actually sticking with it. I still am able to keep my loveable ENFP personality around haha. My life was honestly a mess when my Te wasn't as developed...even though I was stubborn and thought I didn't need to change certain ways of doing things! :p
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I completely relate to your experience, as I'm sure almost all ENFPs do.

Te is our tertiary, so it's there to be used for sure.. but a lot of ENFPs go through a faze (particularly around my age, and probably toward yours unless I'm way off in guessing your age) where we can overvalue Te. It fits in so well with Ne as well, particularly where interest in people is concerned (I'm a Sociology BA- I know all about Ne+Te in this avenue)..

If we were E/IxTJs, then sure, Te is one of our healthiest functions, and it allows us to function as we were supposed to if we're using it a lot. As ENFPs though, we have to remember that our strongest judgement function is Fi, and we will always, and only, be at our best when Fi is being able to align with our environment and find connection. What I'm saying is that there is a trend and a danger when Te gets overvalued for us, that we can forget about this path.

Honestly I don't know though. Sometimes I think the "young adult Te" faze is necessary for us, like growing pains.. Other times I think since it's our 3rd function it should develop on its own without ourselves or society pushing us to use it more.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I completely relate to your experience, as I'm sure almost all ENFPs do.

Te is our tertiary, so it's there to be used for sure.. but a lot of ENFPs go through a faze (particularly around my age, and probably toward yours unless I'm way off in guessing your age) where we can overvalue Te. It fits in so well with Ne as well, particularly where interest in people is concerned (I'm a Sociology BA- I know all about Ne+Te in this avenue)..

If we were E/IxTJs, then sure, Te is one of our healthiest functions, and it allows us to function as we were supposed to if we're using it a lot. As ENFPs though, we have to remember that our strongest judgement function is Fi, and we will always, and only, be at our best when Fi is being able to align with our environment and find connection. What I'm saying is that there is a trend and a danger when Te gets overvalued for us, that we can forget about this path.

Honestly I don't know though. Sometimes I think the "young adult Te" faze is necessary for us, like growing pains.. Other times I think since it's our 3rd function it should develop on its own without ourselves or society pushing us to use it more.
How old did you think I was? Haha, just curious. Yes, I understand too because I am a Psychology major and pretty much I will have to be using all three (Ne+Fi+Te) in order to help people. I think my biggest thing was that my Te did develop rather naturally. My whole life my family and everybody else would be trying to tell me to have "direction" and that I kind of developed later than my peers. Not that I was immature, just they seemed to have a better understanding of what they wanted to do in high school and I was still just trying to figure things out.

Reactions: shedreamt
1 - 20 of 33 Posts