Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have probably seen this a million times, but I hadn't. What do you think? Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
Hmm I’m a type 9 enfp - or 749 enneagram, I don’t know much about enneagram either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,867 Posts
In tests I usually score almost equally on 5 and 7 and third is usually 4 & I get some points in 2,6,9 as far as I remember. The first three definitely resonate the most with me and some 2 in the mix when it comes to romance in particular. I don't see myself picking one type because they group personality traits on a basis that doesn't seem to relate to any biological principle and so it makes sense that many people have a mix of the types based on individual circumstances and not one. Some of the types have an archetypal correlation to certain cognitive preferences like type 7 seems to relate to EP temperament but their system seems to incorporate traits that go beyond cognition so it can't be a linear correlation.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It seems to be accurate for myself but I can't tell if it works in general as I've investigated enneagrams and such stuff only a little. Things seemed to work on that page until I saw they put Ne and Se into same bucket - that's interesting as those definitely aren't the same. It only makes me think that this theory describes people from outside not inside and that could be misleading. What do you to think about that?

·
Registered
Knavish Equerry
1,204 Posts
I nearly always type out as 3 on tests, and it fits well. 359 sp/sx tritype...
Rumor has it that Enneagram measures motivations/values in life, while MBTI measures cognitive style.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hmm I’m a type 9 enfp - or 749 enneagram, I don’t know much about enneagram either

Fascinating! I never heard of another 9 ENFP, but I tested highly at 9 and have a theory as to how I ended up there.

I was always an alpha type, someone who sort of led the charge or introduced my social circles to new things. Somewhere in my mid/late-20s my "blind spots" caught up with me and started causing a lot of problems for me. My "leadership" was putting my immaturity on clear display, after so many setbacks I started to become a lot more timid. I started to resorting to wanting others to lead, even mirroring in social situations, very much adapting to my environment and not trying to influence anything. this sort of embodied what was something of a 9 phase for me because the description had be completely pegged. that also started causing it's own problems, and the whole process ended putting me back at 7,but instead of outsourcing my identity like I did at 9, I started leaning heavily on my 8 wing which was actually a really awesome experience.

BTW I know a lot of what I am saying doesn't exactly fit into the enneagram model but it's how i understand it ;)

Would love to hear more about what being ENFP at 9 means to you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You guys have probably seen this a million times, but I hadn't. What do you think? Makes sense to me.
Woops I posted this on accident. @Llyralen have you seen this youtube channel with the actor that portrays each type? He actually does a good job of putting "skin" on these descriptions, helped me understand the types a ton!

I have a great close friend who is ENFP and when we learned about meyers briggs it was light a lightbulb because it seemed we really were similar but weren't sure why. Later learning she was a 4 and I am a 7 was pretty eye opening, and put into order a ton of assumptions we both had about each other that were just wrong.

I think the Enneagram/MTBI combination is pretty helpful, adding another layer to something MTBI only addresses on a specific level, enneagram goes quite a bit deeper.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
Fascinating! I never heard of another 9 ENFP, but I tested highly at 9 and have a theory as to how I ended up there.

I was always an alpha type, someone who sort of led the charge or introduced my social circles to new things. Somewhere in my mid/late-20s my "blind spots" caught up with me and started causing a lot of problems for me. My "leadership" was putting my immaturity on clear display, after so many setbacks I started to become a lot more timid. I started to resorting to wanting others to lead, even mirroring in social situations, very much adapting to my environment and not trying to influence anything. this sort of embodied what was something of a 9 phase for me because the description had be completely pegged. that also started causing it's own problems, and the whole process ended putting me back at 7,but instead of outsourcing my identity like I did at 9, I started leaning heavily on my 8 wing which was actually a really awesome experience.

BTW I know a lot of what I am saying doesn't exactly fit into the enneagram model but it's how i understand it ;)

Would love to hear more about what being ENFP at 9 means to you.
I really need peace of mind when it comes to to dealing with any conflict and attempt to keep myself at peace at all time - when conflict arises I need time to calm down and reflect inwardly by myself first or else I become extremely agitated. I place high value on harmony and use it to solve my daily dilemma - I’m extremely calm and mellow , I guess one flaw of mine is that I’m easily content and when content I may unintentionally push things aside and not strive to my best ability. Course I don’t fit the exact stereotype of being a 9 - because I have 7 and 4 in my tritype - so I have a strong need for freedom , independence and being happy- I’m extremely optimistic and know what I want for myself, and I don’t have trouble with hiding my identity if anything I - but yeah the main aspect of keeping peace is important to me . It’s nice to see another enfp 9 around - I don’t think I’ve met one before online or off . I think my enneagram tend to throw some people off bc I don’t fit the stereotypical definition of an enfp .
What’s your tri type ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I really need peace of mind when it comes to to dealing with any conflict and attempt to keep myself at peace at all time - when conflict arises I need time to calm down and reflect inwardly by myself first or else I become extremely agitated. I place high value on harmony and use it to solve my daily dilemma - I’m extremely calm and mellow , I guess one flaw of mine is that I’m easily content and when content I may unintentionally push things aside and not strive to my best ability. Course I don’t fit the exact stereotype of being a 9 - because I have 7 and 4 in my tritype - so I have a strong need for freedom , independence and being happy- I’m extremely optimistic and know what I want for myself, and I don’t have trouble with hiding my identity if anything I - but yeah the main aspect of keeping peace is important to me . It’s nice to see another enfp 9 around - I don’t think I’ve met one before online or off . I think my enneagram tend to throw some people off bc I don’t fit the stereotypical definition of an enfp .
What’s your tri type ?

If i'm honest, I never really took the time to understand tritype. I scored highest for 7w8, 7w6, and 9w1 (took the test during my "9" phase).

Your description of 9 sounds very trademark ENFP/INFP. What sort of methods have you used to keep the peace? You said you withdraw when something disrupts you to calm down, so once you've calmed, what is your next step?
Also, what is your experience when meeting new people, especially in circumstances where you have some level of fear/anxiety someone may not like you. Is there a struggle to live up to standards for people close to you? Do you feel like you can be a very different person for different people but none of them feel like yourself?

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
@providence

Your description of 9 sounds very trademark ENFP/INFP.

What sort of methods have you used to keep the peace?
If angry - disappointed or upset i would isolate myself - go out for a walk to think things through or write lists of pros /cons and try to analyze why I’m feeling a certain , write or think up of questions pertaining to the situation and answer it - sometimes I’ll write letters to the person I’m upset with ( but toss it away afterwards ) I find doing so help me relax and introspect better .

You said you withdraw when something disrupts you to calm down, so once you've calmed, what is your next step?

I don’t runaway from my problems , I do notice that I get my point across better if I’m not upset and that nobody ( regardless if the other person is right or wrong ) enjoys a bad attitude. I tend to approach the person I’m upset with and talk to them in a way that is non invasive . I’m good at getting my point across without offending others when I’m in a relax mood .

Anger is the only thing that disrupt me though - often time when I’m angry I need time to myself

When it comes to something traumatic and dangerous- surprisingly my emotions and fear get push aside and I bc very cool and collected - I strive better under stress I suppose

Also, what is your experience when meeting new people, especially in circumstances where you have some level of fear/anxiety someone may not like you. Is there a struggle to live up to standards for people close to you?

* I don’t get anxiety- nor do I have fear of someone disliking me .
If anything I can usually talk my way into or out of a situation. I can read people easily - more so if it’s face to face contact - but that’s probably due to years of introspections and observing those around me

* oftentimes I would take on more than I could handle . When asked to do something, it’s difficult for me to say no to someone that I deeply care about - unsure if there’s any struggle to that but I do notice that I hate the feeling of guilt and would rather carry do something that makes me extremely uncomfortable and exhausted over the feeling of guilt .

*If I were to be in a situation where I feel misplaced then I’ll feel uncomfortable or bored more so than fearful or anxious .

Do you feel like you can be a very different person for different people but none of them feel like yourself ?

I’m always myself - however different sides of me comes out with different people- some people see a more serious side to me and others see a more playful . Topic matters being discussed also varies - since I have many interests .

What about you ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
@ai.tran.75

your description sounds like a trademark ENFP need for harmony, though it doesn't seem to be hitting enneagram 9 very squarely, at least how I understand it.

The primary fear at 9 is loss/seperation, and the primary desire is for stability/peace of mind which is a different mechanism than the ENFP need for Harmony.

For the ENFP, Harmony is achieved through your feelings about your relationships and future plans to be in at least a neutral state, though we prefer for it to be positive/affirming. Disrupted Harmony causes our Fi to experience a lot of nasty emotions that we need to reconcile to return to a state of Harmony.

The difference for the enneagram 9 is they lack connection with their true identity. The fear of loss causes them to perceive the stability or "love" in their relationships to be conditional, and since they lack a connection with their true identity, their descent is one that leaves them increasingly more hollowed out internally, like an empty person who doesn't really have their own desires, they are sort of "along for the ride". 9s will often resort to mirroring, which is in some ways becoming the people they are close to. If someone is interested in something, they become interested in it, if someone feels a certain way they will take that on that feeling and apply it to themselves as well. If you asked them what they wanted or what they were thinking, they either wouldn't have an answer or would respond in the way they think you would prefer. 9s also very inclined to suppress emotions, both good and bad as suppressing emotions feels "safer". The ascent for 9s is one of allowing themselves to actually experience their own emotions and not be afraid as they embrace them, the scary unstable feelings will slowly dissipate as they practice embracing themselves. Healthy 9s have really learned to embrace themselves and have deep and meaningful relationships with others.

So in regards to the tritype you mentioned:
9s Lack a sense of their own identity
4s Lack "Wholeness" in their Self-Image, feel something is missing
7s Lack a Sense of Inner Guidance and Support, they don't know what to do

When I tested highly at 9 was during a somewhat traumatic period of time in my life that integrated a deep level of fear into the mechanism of my personality that was interested in exploration, new experiences, etc. (foundational ENFP stuff). I am very much at home at 7 on the enneagram without a doubt, but interestingly I didn't descend the way 7s normally do which is characterized by escapism, addiction, etc., likely because I had already gone thru some very intensive psychological therapy to deal with my issues with escapism and my religious faith pretty much cut me off from diving into addictions. Instead, I became very hollowed out, the trauma of this situation pushed me beyond the lack of guidance and support into a full blown rejection of my own identity. I began mirroring people around me, acting in a way I felt they would prefer, I had very little to no personal preference about anything, completely ignored my own needs and didn't even really care. I just became very empty and hollowed out inside, just sort of floating through life, and I had a lot of anxiety around the majority of my relationships.

This was all triggered by a "perfect storm" so to speak of unrelated circumstances that all happened over a period of time, and a "perfect storm" is what brought me out of it. I was disconnected from some negative influences and my life was filled with positive and affirming influences. I began to be aware of the lack of my own self expression and how people actually wanted me to be present or even be a leader and take initiative in a lot of areas of my life. This certainly pulled me out of 9 and moved me back to a higher level at 7, while discovering my 8 wing which in some ways is the antithesis of 9. 9 is hyper aware and interested in how people think or feel about you where as 8 is preoccupied with it's individuality to the degree it actually loses touch with how others are thinking and feeling. I am still developing in that wing (although to be honest the lock down has me descending).

anyhow, I was curious to hear if you still think you are a 9, cause I am not sure im convinced ;)

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
@ai.tran.75

your description sounds like a trademark ENFP need for harmony, though it doesn't seem to be hitting enneagram 9 very squarely, at least how I understand it.

The primary fear at 9 is loss/seperation, and the primary desire is for stability/peace of mind which is a different mechanism than the ENFP need for Harmony.

For the ENFP, Harmony is achieved through your feelings about your relationships and future plans to be in at least a neutral state, though we prefer for it to be positive/affirming. Disrupted Harmony causes our Fi to experience a lot of nasty emotions that we need to reconcile to return to a state of Harmony.

The difference for the enneagram 9 is they lack connection with their true identity. The fear of loss causes them to perceive the stability or "love" in their relationships to be conditional, and since they lack a connection with their true identity, their descent is one that leaves them increasingly more hollowed out internally, like an empty person who doesn't really have their own desires, they are sort of "along for the ride". 9s will often resort to mirroring, which is in some ways becoming the people they are close to. If someone is interested in something, they become interested in it, if someone feels a certain way they will take that on that feeling and apply it to themselves as well. If you asked them what they wanted or what they were thinking, they either wouldn't have an answer or would respond in the way they think you would prefer. 9s also very inclined to suppress emotions, both good and bad as suppressing emotions feels "safer". The ascent for 9s is one of allowing themselves to actually experience their own emotions and not be afraid as they embrace them, the scary unstable feelings will slowly dissipate as they practice embracing themselves. Healthy 9s have really learned to embrace themselves and have deep and meaningful relationships with others.

When I tested highly at 9 was during a somewhat traumatic period of time in my life that integrated a deep level of fear into the mechanism of my personality that was interested in exploration, new experiences, etc. (foundational ENFP stuff). I am very much at home at 7 on the enneagram without a doubt, but interestingly I didn't descend the way 7s normally do which is characterized by escapism, addiction, etc., likely because I had already gone thru some very intensive psychological therapy to deal with my issues with escapism and my religious faith pretty much cut me off from diving into addictions. Instead, I became very hollowed out, the trauma of this situation pushed me beyond the lack of guidance and support into a full blown rejection of my own identity. I began mirroring people around me, acting in a way I felt they would prefer, I had very little to no personal preference about anything, completely ignored my own needs and didn't even really care. I just became very empty and hollowed out inside, just sort of floating through life, and I had a lot of anxiety around the majority of my relationships.

This was all triggered by a "perfect storm" so to speak of unrelated circumstances that all happened over a period of time, and a "perfect storm" is what brought me out of it. I was disconnected from some negative influences and my life was filled with positive and affirming influences. I began to be aware of the lack of my own self expression and how people actually wanted me to be present or even be a leader and take initiative in a lot of areas of my life. This certainly pulled me out of 9 and moved me back to a higher level at 7, while discovering my 8 wing which in some ways is the antithesis of 9. 9 is hyper aware and interested in how people think or feel about you where as 8 is preoccupied with it's individuality to the degree it actually loses touch with how others are thinking and feeling. I am still developing in that wing (although to be honest the lock down has me descending).

anyhow, I was curious to hear if you still that you are a 9, cause I am not sure im convinced ;)

I’m not trying or attempting to convince you of my enneagram type because I’ve mentioned many times before that I’m not too thorough with enneagram due to none of it being exact or accurate- from my understanding
9 wants to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, enjoy preserving things as they are, and tends to resist whatever would upset or disturb them in which I relate with .
I’ve been told by many that I’m a 9 due to my tranquil nature .

From your description- in my late teens to mid twenties I can strongly relate to these statements

* If someone is interested in something, they become interested in it, if someone feels a certain way they will take that on that feeling and apply it to themselves as well.
*If you asked them what they wanted or what they were thinking, they either wouldn't have an answer or would respond in the way they think you would prefer.
* 9s also very inclined to suppress emotions, both good and bad as suppressing emotions feels "safer".

And especially this last line - The ascent for 9s is one of allowing themselves to actually experience their own emotions and not be afraid as they embrace them, the scary unstable feelings will slowly dissipate as they practice embracing themselves

I’ve spent years and years of introspections to be able to embrace my own emotions and understand where they derive from and pin pointing them and the moment that was achieve everything in life become easier for me - but of course that’s also Fi in play .

I never paid much to enneagram bc none of the description fit exactly - I tend to test 7w8 but upon reading its description the points that I relate with pertains to Ne or being a perceiving dom.

Upon reading the 9 descriptions/ I relate to 9 most however it isn’t entirely accurate but then again neither is my functioning stack . Hence my type is stated as unknown - I’m most likely an enfp 9

I believe people are much more complex and yes mbti and enneagram provide some interesting insights to understanding of one self or observing others better but it’s not scientifically proven correct or merit - from a psychological perspective there is no such thing as a personality "type." Personality is influenced by situations, context, unresolved trauma, and how a person consistently acts and or responds to various situation.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
@ai.tran.75

anyhow, I was curious to hear if you still think you are a 9, cause I am not sure im convinced ;)
I think you are talking from way too much of a theoretical standpoint and expecting all of it to show up overtly and consciously, this is not how type 9 actually works in real people. I have never met a 9 who would come up to you and say they feel empty and they mirror other people because they lack a sense of identity, or even put much thought into these things. That sounds much more like something a 4 would say. Neither do 9s mirror people, they "merge" with people, there is a serious difference between those two behaviors. Mirroring is internalizing the other, bringing the external into the internal and embodying it, whereas 9s struggle with interiority as a whole, so they can tend to neglect the internal by becoming absorbed in the external. There's this theme of the external being an overshadowing presence, obfuscating or diminishing the internal. So it's not about taking the external on as a part of the internal, it's about being wrapped up in the external and neglecting the internal as a result. They can become overly interested in and involved with other people as a defense against insecurities surrounding the assertion of their own identity and wants, the fear being that that assertion could result in conflict. And for 9s it is just easier and more comfortable to neglect their own priorities than to challenge the priorities of another. I once talked to a 9 who had an anecdote about ending up in a psych ward after a traumatic experience, very uncharacteristically for her, and when they met for group she found herself just going around validating everyone else's struggles, but then felt sort of frightened when they all started coming to her expecting her to hear more and more of their story when she's just exhausted and feeling uncomfortable having just experienced a trauma herself. It's frightening because it put her in the position of my needs vs. the other person's needs and it's hard to say no to the other person but also her own needs are becoming impossible to ignore. It's hard for 9s to make space for themselves amidst everyone else's needs and demands. Not because they're afraid other people will dislike them, but because they have habitually diminished the importance of their own needs and they are afraid that conflict can have destructive consequences (the loss and separation you mentioned.)

9s do not feel empty, again, it's 4s who feel empty because 4s are motivated to be "complete," they are hyper-aware of and even exaggerate what's missing. Whereas 9s neglect what is missing, they will not draw attention to it because they are not paying attention to it, they focus on what is, as if nothing were missing--even if something may be missing. The absolute hardest thing for a 9 is to appeal to their own discontentment.

You are focusing too much on the person thinking about what other people think of them, this is not what 9s do, 9s are thinking about what other people are thinking, period, and are slow to include their own self in that at all. Again, the notion of "merging" is about becoming interested in the external in place of the self, not as an extension of or a container for the self. But it is a genuine interest and feels fulfilling for 9s as long as it remains under their control as opposed to being forced upon them, they rarely consciously feel empty or hollow and rarely would report feeling that way. It mostly comes to the surface when they find themselves surprised by or struggling to accept other people's behavior yet finding it difficult to put a form to their objection, that's where the sense of something missing is felt.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@providence. @wums

7s feel empty and pull all sorts of interests in to fill the void.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems to be accurate for myself but I can't tell if it works in general as I've investigated enneagrams and such stuff only a little. Things seemed to work on that page until I saw they put Ne and Se into same bucket - that's interesting as those definitely aren't the same. It only makes me think that this theory describes people from outside not inside and that could be misleading. What do you to think about that?
It makes sense to me that Se doms and Ne doms often have some of the same motivations. There are only 9 Enneagram types and it really doesn't describe personality as much as it describes motivation and how you act in states of emotional health and unhealth. Ne and Se are very different cognitive functions. But if an ESFP or ESTP and I are 7s then we all will have some underlying anxiety and we will feel like we mean nothing when we feel unhealthy and will try to pull in tons of different outside interests in order to avoid feeling the hole in the middle.

By the way, @providence I understand something very different about 7. 7s do usually know exactly what we want and what we are after. 7s usually have vision.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,867 Posts
By the way, @providence I understand something very different about 7. 7s do usually know exactly what we want and what we are after. 7s usually have vision.
that's contrary to all I've read about type 7, i.e. Type Seven — The Enneagram Institute
On a very deep level, Sevens do not feel that they can find what they really want in life.
basically from what I can tell, it's a very key characteristic of the 7 that they don't know

and what you describe as the fears of unworthiness seem to me more related to type 2

Type 2: The Supportive Advisor is generous, demonstrative, people pleasing and possessive.

Core Fear: Being rejected and unwanted, being thought worthless, needy, inconsequential, dispensable, or unworthy of love.
Core Desire: Being appreciated, loved, and wanted.
Core Weakness: Pride —denying your own needs and emotions while using your amazing intuition to discover and focus on the emotions and needs of others, confidently inserting your helpful support in hopes that others will say how grateful they are for your thoughtful care.
Core Longing: “You are wanted and loved.”

Type 7: The Entertaining Optimist is spontaneous, versatile, acquisitive and scattered.

Core Fear: Being deprived, trapped in emotional pain, limited, or bored; missing out on something fun
Core Desire: Being happy, fully satisfied, and content
Core Weakness: Gluttony—feeling a great emptiness inside and having an insatiable desire to “fill yourself up” with experiences and stimulation in hopes of feeling completely satisfied and content.
Core Longing: “You will be taken care of.”

from what I understand, the 7 fear is not about feeling unworthy but not living "enough"

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
I got this result from the test

Your Enneagram Type Probability

YOUR TOP TWO TYPES
YOUR TOP SCORES
The Entertaining Optimist, Type 7
91%
The Investigative Thinker, Type 5
83%

NOTE: Is your top Enneagram Type in the No. 2 position in the table instead of at the top? Here’s how that happened: Toward the end of the assessment, we asked you to choose between statements that featured your top two Enneagram Types. Your responses led to determining the Enneagram Type you see in this report. In your case, your responses eliminated the Enneagram Type that had the highest overall score.

YOUR OTHER TYPE RESULTS
The Peaceful Mediator, Type 9
80%
The Successful Achiever, Type 3
66%
The Romantic Individualist, Type 4
60%
The Supportive Advisor, Type 2
60%
The Moral Perfectionist, Type 1
46%
The Protective Challenger, Type 8
46%
The Loyal Guardian, Type 6
31%

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
@Red Panda. Dang it how does quote work on my phone? Gah...

Anyway, the wording is very sensitive but makes a big impact in results. It says 7s worry that we will never find what we want. That’s totally different than not knowing what I want. I know what I want and have huge vision for it. Will I ever get it? 7s work hard to and actually my existential Enneagram crisis comes from feeling like I will never make it happen. This is actually how I found out I was a 7. Before that, people thought I was a 2 and I do test second highest in 2 and have it in my Tri-type, but I’m never going to have a crisis involving 2... and I have totally experienced multiple life crisis with 7 over and over so... yeah, it seems like people look over the pains involved with 7. I fit the descriptions of 7sx to where the Beatrice Chestnut description scared me and also have to actively work on my 7 sx demons, but I think without knowing what kind of things throw me into a crisis I wouldn’t know for sure if I were a 2 or a 7.

When I thought I was a 2 there was nothing to work on. I didn’t feel that I wanted anything back from doing nice things. I would score as a very healthy 2 (because I’m not a 2) but truly Im an average health 7, I’m afraid

The hole inside with 7 is very specific as well. It is not about unworthiness (I don’t I feel that word and I didn’t use that word) but about emptiness. The fear is about feeling trapped in anything negative. Even right now I’m like “That will never happen because I will make sure it never happens!” I score high enough in 2 and have enough 2 energy about me to feel that “inconsequential” might work for both when feeling down. The 7 aspect to that word is about being diminished. I’ve read books that talked about that more.

i score 3rd highest in 4 even though that doesn’t make a tri-type. I think people through their life can sometimes change Enneagram. It would look to me like I’ve been a 2 before and a 4 before and a 1 before, but mostly 7.

I don’t think MBTI type changes but that we do develop as we age and/or through years of repetitive tasks that call for that function.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts