Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie enfp 5w6 here. I mainly made this post to see what other Enfps' experiences, relationships, and whatnot are with this enneagram type (or just people who've met with this type). I'm pretty private myself, so I get that there may not be a lot posting (as a silent lurker of mbti forums myself) . I saw a couple of other threads started, but they're from awhile ago.
I don't really know a description of myself that could be all encompassing. One that I think really fits me is from this Tumblr post : https://highonmbti.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F141001861225 . Im just really curious about people and figuring them out. The reasons people do things is a blind spot at times for me (Fi) and I really just want to understand why (Ne) . It can be a frustrating loop of never ending analysis, but it's usually fun.
Let me know if it fits you or what you would add to it.
I'm pretty sure of my type, even though I've read a bunch of things that say it's nearly impossible. But I think that's just people who read stereotypes and think that mbti and enneagram are inseparable. Also also, I've decided I sincerely dislike the whole rainbows and unicorn stereotyped enfp (yep, just had to get that out :).

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
We might want to pick your brain a bit on what it is like to be an ENFP 5 and your opinions. @ai.tran.75 and I were just talking about trying to represent all enneagrams for ENFPs a bit ago.

by the way, I have had a couple of people think I was a 5. I thought this must be just 7 integrating to 5 though. My INTP daughter is a definite 5. Actually so is my INTP sister.

I have a question for you if you don’t mind. Beatrice Cheatnut tallks Qbout 5s having hardly any shield emotionally. Basically that emotions of others can just come in. I see this every day for my INTP daughter. She can get very overwhelmed by my emotions and if we are watching a movie those emotions too. Which is so interesting and lovely in her... I also think Ingrid Bergman was an INTP 5 which really made that emotional wall in her acting non-existent and I think it made it so that people felt that the emotions she was portraying were just very raw. But of course decision-wise my daughter is making decisions based on TI... and I don’t think she thinks emotions are something to really understand even. My sister too...I asked “Are emotions kind of whispy things? .” And she was like “Emotions are just..., basically not a thing when you’re making decisions.” But they aren’t embarrassed at least with me those emotions are just going to be shown and coming out with no shield when with me. My daughter I think just takes it as a matter of course that we are going to cry together at movies and when I share emotions.

But for you since you would have a good understanding of your own emotions and those of others with better Fi development... what is it like for you without that shield? I hope you don’t mind me asking . I actually think this aspect of 5s is one of the most beautiful things anyone can see happening... which is why watching Ingrid Bergman is such an experience for people.

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We might want to pick your brain a bit on what it is like to be an ENFP 5 and your opinions. @ai.tran.75 and I were just talking about trying to represent all enneagrams for ENFPs a bit ago.

by the way, I have had a couple of people think I was a 5. I thought this must be just 7 integrating to 5 though. My INTP daughter is a definite 5. Actually so is my INTP sister.

I have a question for you if you don’t mind. Beatrice Cheatnut tallks Qbout 5s having hardly any shield emotionally. Basically that emotions of others can just come in. I see this every day for my INTP daughter. She can get very overwhelmed by my emotions and if we are watching a movie those emotions too. Which is so interesting and lovely in her... I also think Ingrid Bergman was an INTP 5 which really made that emotional wall in her acting non-existent and I think it made it so that people felt that the emotions she was portraying were just very raw. But of course decision-wise my daughter is making decisions based on TI... and I don’t think she thinks emotions are something to really understand even. My sister too...I asked “Are emotions kind of whispy things? .” And she was like “Emotions are just..., basically not a thing when you’re making decisions.” But they aren’t embarrassed at least with me those emotions are just going to be shown and coming out with no shield when with me. My daughter I think just takes it as a matter of course that we are going to cry together at movies and when I share emotions.

But for you since you would have a good understanding of your own emotions and those of others with better Fi development... what is it like for you without that shield? I hope you don’t mind me asking . I actually think this aspect of 5s is one of the most beautiful things anyone can see happening... which is why watching Ingrid Bergman is such an experience for people.
Well, I didn't really know this was a five thing until now, but I think I know what you're talking about. Since my Fi is so high in my function stack, I like to think I guard it. I do allow myself to feel emotions, but I like to do this in my privacy. For example, when I watch movies I do really feel all emotions of characters and I do cry during intense emotional scenes (I don't like to watch movies with certain graphic scenes because it can really get to me). I like to watch movies alone for this reason. My mom never understands it, but it allows me to let them out without a filter since I'm alone. I also can pick up on the needs of others and it can be annoying because I want them to do things for themselves, but my 6 wing usually pushes me to help out when I feel the need arises. Emotions can be involved in my decision making, but I am hyperaware of my own bias (if that makes sense) and I'll try to make sure I consider all of the facts before I make an important decision. I hope that kind of gave you insight into your question.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,523 Posts
I don’t think this combination is possible. Maybe I’m being too narrow-minded about it, but the average behavior of 5s is far too detached to be compatible with ENFP. At least this is my perspective.

I think the most common Enneatypes for ENFPs are E2, E3 and E7, not necessarily in this order. With some effort I could see ENFPs who fall as E4s, E6s and E9s, though I don’t think these combinations are very typical.

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I don’t think this combination is possible. Maybe I’m being too narrow-minded about it, but the average behavior of 5s is far too detached to be compatible with ENFP. At least this is my perspective.

I think the most common Enneatypes for ENFPs are E2, E3 and E7, not necessarily in this order. With some effort I could see ENFPs who fall as E4s, E6s and E9s, though I don’t think these combinations are very typical.
I have a hard time picturing it as well... but I think it is probably possible, just not as possible as other types. I found the following a while back... the pagr on the INFJs and enneagram frequency is interesting as well. With ENFP E1 I used to act very 1 ish in my teens and early 20s and I still see it as part of my tritype. Also @angelcat is an ENFP 1. I figure if there exist 1s there might exist ENFP 5s. And we are interested to see and study one! Lol.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,523 Posts
I have a hard time picturing it as well... but I think it is probably possible, just not as possible as other types. I found the following a while back... the pagr on the INFJs and enneagram frequency is interesting as well. With ENFP E1 I used to act very 1 ish in my teens and early 20s and I still see it as part of my tritype. Also @angelcat is an ENFP 1. I figure if there exist 1s there might exist ENFP 5s. And we are interested to see and study one! Lol.

Hmm maybe. I’m trying not to be closed to possibilities here. I’ve never met one, but maybe there is an ENFP 5 out there somewhere.

If you are a core 7, you have arrows of disintegration and development to 1 and 5. This is funny to say, but all the core 7s I know are VERY attuned to their principles and ideals (probably due to their arrow to 1, plus being in the Idealist triad of the Enneagram with 1s and 4s). Does this resonate with you?

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Hmm maybe. I’m trying not to be closed to possibilities here. I’ve never met one, but maybe there is an ENFP 5 out there somewhere.

If you are a core 7, you have arrows of disintegration and development to 1 and 5. This is funny to say, but all the core 7s I know are VERY attuned to their principles and ideals (probably due to their arrow to 1, plus being in the Idealist triad of the Enneagram with 1s and 4s). Does this resonate with you?
It does. I appreciate the acknowledgement of it. I actually think type 7 is one of the least researched types. Even the experts sometimes dismiss us with “These are the ones just having fun”. And dismiss everything we learn on our journey while explaining every other type with a hardship and also a wisdom gained. In my opinion 7s have just as much wisdom to gain from our journey as everyone else. I often think the experts do a shoddy job of understanding 7’s complexities.

I do identify with going through 1 when stressed and especially when I was younger. I dealt with the world by being a perfectionist and there was an anger associated with it. I was deeply looking into “shalt” and “shalt not” and followed my strong principals to the letter. My brother is an ISTJ 1 and I remember both of us being at a party and realizing we were both telling people we wouldn’t budge on the same thing with friends trying to get us to do things we wouldn’t do from different sides of the room, so we left together. Around that time two people asked me if I were easy going or super hard ass/by the book and I said “By the book for myself,but I don’t judge others.” Which I guess was very confusing for the other person but was true of me as a 7 experiencing 1 integration I would guess. Over the years I have stopped judging myself as harshly too and with it the anger went away... but by me always thinking about morals and ethics I really shaped my thinking skills in those areas... but I believe I was around 25 by the time I let go of being so harsh on myself. And now when I’m stressed (or when I’m relaxing lol) I research. Researching is the most likely thing you’d see me doing at any given time... and it gives depth and meaning and richness to everything in my opinion. . I do learn a lot of new things (always have) with different lessons and group activities and cram my days full to the brim. Slowing down for COVID has actually been nice. A lot nicer than I would have thought. I see the benefits to me from it, so when I re-build my schedule after Covid I think I will try to include more downtime if I can. I can tell while I’m writing that line that it will be tough not to fill up again, though. I’ve got so many ideas of what I want to do as well.

This is how I see the integration that enneagram has talked about and how it has played out for me. I’m tritype 7-2-1. Most people think I’m a 2, but I know I’m not due to what I do and feel when anxious. My problems are 7 problems and I don’t have the 2 problems because I’m not a 2... but close. I test almost as high on 2 and then I also test third highest on 4 and I feel I have some 4 energy. I’m a sx/so and identify strongly with sx. I think sx gets oversimplified to almost a mis-understanding of it. So these are two things about me that I feel are very deep but that are often misunderstood and since I feel like I do understand myself and my struggles well, I often wish I could advocate more for the understanding of both 7 and sx and give more voice to this journey. But often the people who want to over simplify seem to say “Nah bro... it’s just about fun and sex for you 7s and sx’s” And I am a deeply religious woman who was a virgin when she married her husband at age 27 who hasn’t touched alcohol or drugs ever so there is a lot to understand imo but a lot of people are happy to simplify the hell out of things. In actuality. I think every person has a deeply complex and interesting journey , but I also think “fun” and “sex” are probably the most simplified concepts that people think they can understand. And it’s kind of funny, actually. Okay, sorry for the long rant. Or I hope it was interesting. . :) I appreciate that you have observed principals in us “fun” 7s .

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,523 Posts
It does. I appreciate the acknowledgement of it. I actually think type 7 is one of the least researched types. Even the experts sometimes dismiss us with “These are the ones just having fun”. And dismiss everything we learn on our journey while explaining every other type with a hardship and also a wisdom gained. In my opinion 7s have just as much wisdom to gain from our journey as everyone else. I often think the experts do a shoddy job of understanding 7’s complexities.

I do identify with going through 1 when stressed and especially when I was younger. I dealt with the world by being a perfectionist and there was an anger associated with it. I was deeply looking into “shalt” and “shalt not” and followed my strong principals to the letter. My brother is an ISTJ 1 and I remember both of us being at a party and realizing we were both telling people we wouldn’t budge on the same thing with friends trying to get us to do things we wouldn’t do from different sides of the room, so we left together. Around that time two people asked me if I were easy going or super hard ass/by the book and I said “By the book for myself,but I don’t judge others.” Which I guess was very confusing for the other person but was true of me as a 7 experiencing 1 integration I would guess. Over the years I have stopped judging myself as harshly too and with it the anger went away... but by me always thinking about morals and ethics I really shaped my thinking skills in those areas... but I believe I was around 25 by the time I let go of being so harsh on myself. And now when I’m stressed (or when I’m relaxing lol) I research. Researching is the most likely thing you’d see me doing at any given time... and it gives depth and meaning and richness to everything in my opinion. . I do learn a lot of new things (always have) with different lessons and group activities and cram my days full to the brim. Slowing down for COVID has actually been nice. A lot nicer than I would have thought. I see the benefits to me from it, so when I re-build my schedule after Covid I think I will try to include more downtime if I can. I can tell while I’m writing that line that it will be tough not to fill up again, though. I’ve got so many ideas of what I want to do as well.

This is how I see the integration that enneagram has talked about and how it has played out for me. I’m tritype 7-2-1. Most people think I’m a 2, but I know I’m not due to what I do and feel when anxious. My problems are 7 problems and I don’t have the 2 problems because I’m not a 2... but close. I test almost as high on 2 and then I also test third highest on 4 and I feel I have some 4 energy. I’m a sx/so and identify strongly with sx. I think sx gets oversimplified to almost a mis-understanding of it. So these are two things about me that I feel are very deep but that are often misunderstood and since I feel like I do understand myself and my struggles well, I often wish I could advocate more for the understanding of both 7 and sx and give more voice to this journey. But often the people who want to over simplify seem to say “Nah bro... it’s just about fun and sex for you 7s and sx’s” And I am a deeply religious woman who was a virgin when she married her husband at age 27 who hasn’t touched alcohol or drugs ever so there is a lot to understand imo but a lot of people are happy to simplify the hell out of things. In actuality. I think every person has a deeply complex and interesting journey , but I also think “fun” and “sex” are probably the most simplified concepts that people think they can understand. And it’s kind of funny, actually. Okay, sorry for the long rant. Or I hope it was interesting. . :) I appreciate that you have observed principals in us “fun” 7s .
Interesting, Llyralen. I agree completely that there is a LOT of complexity in Type 7 and one thing I've learned is that there is a lot more to all the Type 7s I know than it meets the eye. Do you relate to this description?

Frustration Object Relation (Types 1,4,7)

"People with the frustration object relation know what will make them happy, but they feel they seldom have it. However, once they find the source of their happiness, they tend to become disappointed and disillusioned with it. As a result, they become frustrated as they begin their search again. Their sense of self is based on the search for an ideal. These types need to remember that they can find contentment by accepting their present experience."
- Object Relations

I know I relate to this description A LOT as a 4. I know there's an idealistic side to my personality that will show up when my arrow of integration to 1 comes up. I am often searching for an ideal.

I've never seen 7s as being just about fun and sex; I think this is a very surface-level and crude interpretation of the Enneagram. When I think about 7, I simply conceptualize this type as being mostly about the accumulation and/or anticipation of new experiences. 7s I know have a lot of respect for variety and also tend to face life as if they're eternal students acquiring new insights and information through the experiences they have (this is where their integration arrow to 5 comes up, I suppose).

About people thinking you're a 2, I've always found that 2s and 7s have A LOT in common. Sometimes I find it very hard to distinguish the two types, especially when it comes to women (idk why).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well, having an intj 9w1 mother has shown me that any mbti type can be with any enneagram. Personally, I don't find myself identifying with the Type 7's 1 disintegration. Also, I'm going off of the core motivations and fears of the enneagram and I much more resonate with the fives than the sevens. I don't believe there is any common ennea for the mbti either. I think the descriptions of the ennea have been conflated to the point each are just matched with whatever mbti type seems most like said descriptions. I'm guessing the websites that have the lists of most common are self reported as well, which also gives me pause to believe the data (unless they use some other methods). I've only met two other enfps, both guys (had an odd moment where an estj thought she was an enfp, but we figured it out), and I'm pretty sure one was a 4, the other could've been a 7 but I didn't know him as well.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Well, having an intj 9w1 mother has shown me that any mbti type can be with any enneagram. Personally, I don't find myself identifying with the Type 7's 1 disintegration. Also, I'm going off of the core motivations and fears of the enneagram and I much more resonate with the fives than the sevens. I don't believe there is any common ennea for the mbti either. I think the descriptions of the ennea have been conflated to the point each are just matched with whatever mbti type seems most like said descriptions. I'm guessing the websites that have the lists of most common are self reported as well, which also gives me pause to believe the data (unless they use some other methods). I've only met two other enfps, both guys (had an odd moment where an estj thought she was an enfp, but we figured it out), and I'm pretty sure one was a 4, the other could've been a 7 but I didn't know him as well.
If you resonate with 5 then we should ask you about 5.

EVERYTHING in personality typing is self-reported... meaning that ANY MBtI or Enneagram test is just testing what the individual taking it perceives about themselves. Even Big 5 that has more main-stream backing. At this point there is no other way. Even when officially MBTI typed or even if you are working with Enneagram experts they go by the self-reported tests.

The only imperial scientific way of looking at any of it would be through neuroscience and there Are a few people who have conducted correlation studies with MBTI and I don’tunderstand why that isn’t a major jumping off point for neuroscientists except that they have not seen the use of it yet, I do wonder if they might just see it as being less complicated Than the mapping that they already use and have names for. But for me I think there are applications, especially with those having difficulty learning in school, etc. But Enneagram is the story you tell yourself and the tests test your perceived story,so I would think that it has less to do with brain mapping than MBTI. I kind of also think that you can have turning points in your life or experiences that might make you change your story. I do not currently believe that we change MBTI type, but I do think people can change their enneagram. These are my current thoughts based on my observations.

Reactions: secondpassing

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Interesting, Llyralen. I agree completely that there is a LOT of complexity in Type 7 and one thing I've learned is that there is a lot more to all the Type 7s I know than it meets the eye. Do you relate to this description?

Frustration Object Relation (Types 1,4,7)

"People with the frustration object relation know what will make them happy, but they feel they seldom have it. However, once they find the source of their happiness, they tend to become disappointed and disillusioned with it. As a result, they become frustrated as they begin their search again. Their sense of self is based on the search for an ideal. These types need to remember that they can find contentment by accepting their present experience."
- Object Relations

I know I relate to this description A LOT as a 4. I know there's an idealistic side to my personality that will show up when my arrow of integration to 1 comes up. I am often searching for an ideal.

I've never seen 7s as being just about fun and sex; I think this is a very surface-level and crude interpretation of the Enneagram. When I think about 7, I simply conceptualize this type as being mostly about the accumulation and/or anticipation of new experiences. 7s I know have a lot of respect for variety and also tend to face life as if they're eternal students acquiring new insights and information through the experiences they have (this is where their integration arrow to 5 comes up, I suppose).

About people thinking you're a 2, I've always found that 2s and 7s have A LOT in common. Sometimes I find it very hard to distinguish the two types, especially when it comes to women (idk why).
I was kind of thinking about what I wrote and I really do think that people in general simplify on all of the types “6s are about fear” “2s are about love”. It’s kind of like saying “World War 2 was about fighting” or something. It’s not like it isn’t about that, but to really appreciate and understand an entire person’s experience and why they do what they do needs and deserves people to realize that there is so much complexity And things to learn.

I really wrote what I did thinking about how sad the sx confession thread was when I went there. Some of us would start talking about what was really real and painful for us like constantly craving to be always be closer to our mates when they might want space and not understand that need, etc. and people dive-bombed it saying “You guys aren’t about that closeness stuff, come on! You guys just want sex! Who wants to talk about sex? Aren’t you guys going to talk about sex?” I mean....oh my gosh... it was awful. Basically I think sx can’t have a thread that addresses our issues or helps us feel less alone without people who THINK they know and who don’t jumping in. Honestly the short conversation I had there with the few like minded women was probably the most meaningful conversation I’ve had on PerC. I learned I wasn’t alone With my problems. And then so quickly there were dudes jumping in and it made it seem like they were there for a peep show. My take-home is to make sure to listen and keep listening.

Okay, about the description 741. It does fit. I do experience a constant searching aid say, but not as well as 721 the coach for me. If there was something about 7-2-4 then I’d have it made I think. I don’t test high in any of the body types anymore, but I actually do think that I grew up as a 1 for 1/2 my life... or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you resonate with 5 then we should ask you about 5.

EVERYTHING in personality typing is self-reported... meaning that ANY MBtI or Enneagram test is just testing what the individual taking it perceives about themselves. Even Big 5 that has more main-stream backing. At this point there is no other way. Even when officially MBTI typed or even if you are working with Enneagram experts they go by the self-reported tests.

The only imperial scientific way of looking at any of it would be through neuroscience and there Are a few people who have conducted correlation studies with MBTI and I don’tunderstand why that isn’t a major jumping off point for neuroscientists except that they have not seen the use of it yet, I do wonder if they might just see it as being less complicated Than the mapping that they already use and have names for. But for me I think there are applications, especially with those having difficulty learning in school, etc. But Enneagram is the story you tell yourself and the tests test your perceived story,so I would think that it has less to do with brain mapping than MBTI. I kind of also think that you can have turning points in your life or experiences that might make you change your story. I do not currently believe that we change MBTI type, but I do think people can change their enneagram. These are my current thoughts based on my observations.
What do you mean by everything? I'm talking about people who send in stats for what they believe to be is their type or people who stereotype and then believe that they are that type and then go on forums with other mal-informed people feeding off of what they've read on 16personalities or something. My point is if people self report their types online and are constantly changing their mind, it's nearly impossible to call anything common for the combination of enneagram and mbti types. That's why I don't believe these websites that have these statistics and claim that 7's are commonly enfps and 5 s are commonly intjs. I'll have to look into the neuroscience thing: sounds interesting and I've never heard of the research you mentioned. That's why I always try to look for objective information (ie cognitive functions and core fears/motivations), never just descriptions online.
And back to the reason I made this post, I'm just curious to see others experiences with my type and I've said that I don't mind if no one comments with personal experience. There just isn't much description for this combination, which is why I provided my favorite, and I wanted to hear others thoughts (either with my type or who've met my type). And yes, I resonate with fives fear of incompetence and invasion, as well as the core motivation of needing knowledge to feel competent. I didn't make this to have people contest types; I'm sure there is plenty of that somewhere else. I'm merely content with myself for actually making the post since I find ennea and mbti super interesting in understanding the way peoples' brains work.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
What do you mean by everything? I'm talking about people who send in stats for what they believe to be is their type or people who stereotype and then believe that they are that type and then go on forums with other mal-informed people feeding off of what they've read on 16personalities or something. My point is if people self report their types online and are constantly changing their mind, it's nearly impossible to call anything common for the combination of enneagram and mbti types. That's why I don't believe these websites that have these statistics and claim that 7's are commonly enfps and 5 s are commonly intjs. I'll have to look into the neuroscience thing: sounds interesting and I've never heard of the research you mentioned. That's why I always try to look for objective information (ie cognitive functions and core fears/motivations), never just descriptions online.
And back to the reason I made this post, I'm just curious to see others experiences with my type and I've said that I don't mind if no one comments with personal experience. There just isn't much description for this combination, which is why I provided my favorite, and I wanted to hear others thoughts (either with my type or who've met my type). And yes, I resonate with fives fear of incompetence and invasion, as well as the core motivation of needing knowledge to feel competent. I didn't make this to have people contest types; I'm sure there is plenty of that somewhere else. I'm merely content with myself for actually making the post since I find ennea and mbti super interesting in understanding the way peoples' brains work.
Yes, I think I understand you. What I was doing was agreeing with you and relating what you said to a bigger theme. Subjective data always needs to be looked at in the context of self-reporting and the reader needs to always understand the limitations and correct applications of the type of research being done.

Everything... yes everything...about MBTI official or knock-offs like 16personalities or any other group (really I would argue this for DaveSuperPowers as well although his whole premise is Objective Personality typing and I can maybe give him part of it except it is only he and Shan typing and that’s not very objective and can’t be thought of scientifically as a objective method anyway) anyway, yes everything about personality typing is self-reported. Even official MBTI typing, which I’ve done) is a test where you report your preferences and one of their trained psychologists explains results of the test and what it means to you. It’s not like its a test looking to see if you get the correct answers. There’s not a right or wrong answer to each question and there is no higher authority than yourself standing over you saying “Nah you put that wrong... you don’t really do that as much as you think you do”. You are just reporting your preferences. according to your own perception. Same with Enneagram. The tests just report what you reported. Same with Big 5.

So let’s agree that this website that I linked asked people who self-identify as ENFPs to self-identify their perceived Enneagrwm. Let’s say just because I want to show my point that 80% of the ENFPs ARE actually ENFPs (although I think many psychologists would role their eyes at the idea of any of it even being real at all) and let’s also say that 60% of the ENFPs got their Enneagram “right”. Well that gives me some data that I might be able to trust in the 80% zone if I believe in cognitive functions as reality and if I believe people actually experience what is explained in the enneqgram. But mostly and really it shows a majority of people who type themselves ENFPs on that particular website think their Enneagram is. A majority is still relevant to bring up since it might be predictive in a similar population. This population on PerC probably roughly resembles the population that was asked the question... many people here have been to the different sites. Maybe a majority of people who perceive themselves here as being ENFPs ARE ENFPs... who knows what percentile? Let’s say 80% In other words are people entitled to be skeptics about people’s self-reporting? You sound like you are and other people like to voice their skepticism as well.

So what does it show? Why did I post that link? To show YOU and to show @Aiwass that there is more than 1 person out there saying that they identify as ENFP Enneagram 5 . Not many, but not 0 either. You aren’t alone.

Although you are the first one I’ve met. I quite understand why you made the post. I was defending you. In general I like to think people are the experts on their own personality... plus as I said that is what everything is based on or rides on— self reporting. So I just frame my owN skepticism a bit differently I guess. But I was trying to help you out and so I hope you get that.

As for descriptions you might like, Erik Thor’s was interesting to me on ENFP E5. At least when I read it I thought I had never seen anything written before about ENFP and every single Enneagram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, newbie enfp 5w6 here. I mainly made this post to see what other Enfps' experiences, relationships, and whatnot are with this enneagram type (or just people who've met with this type). I'm pretty private myself, so I get that there may not be a lot posting (as a silent lurker of mbti forums myself) . I saw a couple of other threads started, but they're from awhile ago.
I don't really know a description of myself that could be all encompassing. One that I think really fits me is from this Tumblr post : https://highonmbti.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F141001861225 . Im just really curious about people and figuring them out. The reasons people do things is a blind spot at times for me (Fi) and I really just want to understand why (Ne) . It can be a frustrating loop of never ending analysis, but it's usually fun.
I'm pretty sure of my type, even though I've read a bunch of things that say it's nearly impossible. But I think that's just people who read stereotypes and think that mbti and enneagram are inseparable. Also also, I've decided I sincerely dislike the whole rainbows and unicorn stereotyped enfp (yep, just had to get that out :).
Im.an enfp 5w4 diagnosed adhd and bpd 🙃🤯

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,816 Posts
I'm close, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584. I'm a big fan of ENFPs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello op. Still here?
I can see why people doubt this combination (even I strongly doubt the people in this thread claiming to be enfp 5s. The times I have seen people claiming to be this type they seemed to actually be 4w5s, 6w5s, or type 7s).
Did you mistype as other MBTI types before settling on enfp? Do you think you're Si seems more developed than other enfps you have encountered?
Well, I'd say it's as developed as it can be. It exhausts me to use it, but I force myself to when I know I need to. Like if I know it's the right time to use it or it'll get something done. I do the same with my Te, but Te burns me out a little less I'd say. Then I have to not do anything Si related for awhile. I burn myself out alot though going on NeTe/FiSi loops time (since I psychoanalyze everything!), because do I listen to my body when I need to stop working? Nope.
I've always been 120% sure that I'm an Enfp. Although, I thought I was introverted, I grew to understand the cognitive functions more and concreted my mbti type. The enneagram was where I was at first tripped up. I always thought I was a 7 and didn't give it much thought since I always read descriptions and stereotypes and was like ehh (could never relate to the carefree optimist I always read about) until I told a friend to take a test with me. I got a five, but I figured the test was just wrong, so I didn't think of it. Few months later, I'm watching a funny enneagram video with my mother and she said the 5 was so me. That's when I really got into enneagram (yes, for a silly YouTube video) and found out the complexities of the system, mainly the core desires and fears, and was surprised that the fives fear of feeling helpless/incompetent fit me so well. I had no idea that Enfps were unlikely fives until I did more searching on the Internet forums and such.
Not sure if this is always a five behaviorism, but I've always been reserved and sometimes hide things from others and even myself without realizing: something my undergrad teacher always brought to my attention constantly (highly suspect she was Si dominant, if that even matters). Although, I'm told my facial expressions (an NeFi thing?) always give away my feelings. So, I can hide, but sometimes, I'm not good at it, but I'm always working on keeping a more collected face.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello op. Still here?
I can see why people doubt this combination (even I strongly doubt the people in this thread claiming to be enfp 5s. The times I have seen people claiming to be this type they seemed to actually be 4w5s, 6w5s, or type 7s).
Did you mistype as other MBTI types before settling on enfp? Do you think you're Si seems more developed than other enfps you have encountered?
Oh, and I've looked around at the 6w5, but I don't fear inconsistency/being unsafe 24/7. I'll have moments because of my wing, but overall I feel I hide away more than crave to fill feelings of loneliness other people. 4w5, I'd never really thought of, but I think I had a wing 4 when I was younger that turned into a wing 6 when my little sister was born.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if this is always a five behaviorism, but I've always been reserved and sometimes hide things from others and even myself without realizing: something my undergrad teacher always brought to my attention constantly (highly suspect she was Si dominant, if that even matters). Although, I'm told my facial expressions (an NeFi thing?) always give away my feelings. So, I can hide, but sometimes, I'm not good at it, but I'm always working on keeping a more collected face.
Do you tend to give laconic and vague replies when other people seem to expect you to give them more during a conversation? I'm wondering if this a part of what you mean by that you seem to hide things from others.
This is something I have been called out for doing. I just don't share what I don't think is necessary to share and this can come across as me withholding and being secretive on purpose (which I can be, but I just naturally try to conserve energy and get back to my inner world quickly). Do you relate?

I'm curious, what is your variant stacking and how do you respond to conflict?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do super relate to that. It's the main reason I especially hate texting! I feel like some people that I've texted are the gushy kind: an example is an old friend who was Fe dominant. She was into the smiley faces and would always send things like I'm so happy we got to hang out today, right after said hang out. My replies would always be like yeah or of course. Then I come across as being rude when I don't mean to be, in emails too. I also have this thing where I'll think a bunch of different things, but only say the bare minimum of what I feel is necessary for the conversation.
I've yet to get into variant stacking. Conflict handling: sometimes I make plans to leave and move happily alone to a big city (I like the idea of being detached, yet around constant stimuli if that makes sense), then don't go through them. I've never been in a serious argument: I'm more likely to shut down when I'm mad at someone, but it depends on the situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts