Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so I never really got into Enneagram until recently and have realised I'm quite the type 7. However, I'm still kind of fresh at it and would like to hear more from other ENFP 7s.

Finding my Enneagram explains a lot. It explains why sometimes I don't think I'm as "feely" as other ENFPs. I want to know if other ENFP type 7s have this sort of "not feely enough for the NF category, not thinky enough to be an NT" problem.

I'm not an ENTP - the cognitive function just don't match up - but sometimes I wonder if I couldn't be an NT. I'm not...I know I'm not...but I live in my head so much and I don't tend to get worked up emotionally too often. I can explain it like this: my happiness comes from my head, not my heart...as does my sadness, anger, etc. It's not like I feel things superficially, but they're not a "whole body experience" like I've heard some NFs describe it. I am really in touch with my emotions, but I tend to rationalize them and don't put much stock in them.

Any other ENFP 7s feel this way?

Also, if you are not a 7, I would still like to hear your thoughts (about 7s or about yourself). I think the pairing of MBTI and Enneagram is very interesting!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I feel exactly this way. I rarely get worked up over things, and when I do, I rationalize it. It's very useful for figuring out motives and intentions. Small things like "random" questions people ask you suddenly become a way to pry their mind to figure out exactly what they're thinking. You're removed enough to realize it's an experiment, but in-tune enough to figure out their inner workings, and you can use your NF to make the connections necessary to figure it out. You tell people that it's not "random", but they don't believe you, they were "just wondering". Right. :wink:

I often have the problem of wondering if I'm NT/NF, but--as you said yourself--the cognitive functions just don't work out to be ENTP. When I see my ENTP friend playing devil's advocate and pissing 50% of the people around him off, and not realizing it, it reaffirms my belief that I'm ENFP.

I experience emotions the same way you do, if I understand correctly. There have been many a vacation I've taken with my family where my ESTJ mom exclaims, "Look at those mountains!" I should have a similar reaction... If I hadn't seen something similar 3 times over the past 24 hours. The first time, yeah, it was sorta breath-taking, and very impressive, but twenty-odd times later, not so much.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel exactly this way. I rarely get worked up over things, and when I do, I rationalize it. It's very useful for figuring out motives and intentions. Small things like "random" questions people ask you suddenly become a way to pry their mind to figure out exactly what they're thinking. You're removed enough to realize it's an experiment, but in-tune enough to figure out their inner workings, and you can use your NF to make the connections necessary to figure it out. You tell people that it's not "random", but they don't believe you, they were "just wondering". Right. :wink:

I often have the problem of wondering if I'm NT/NF, but--as you said yourself--the cognitive functions just don't work out to be ENTP. When I see my ENTP friend playing devil's advocate and pissing 50% of the people around him off, and not realizing it, it reaffirms my belief that I'm ENFP.

I experience emotions the same way you do, if I understand correctly. There have been many a vacation I've taken with my family where my ESTJ mom exclaims, "Look at those mountains!" I should have a similar reaction... If I hadn't seen something similar 3 times over the past 24 hours. The first time, yeah, it was sorta breath-taking, and very impressive, but twenty-odd times later, not so much.
Oh man! Thank you for this! It's nice to hear someone with a similar experience. Haha :crazy: Yeah, most of the things people say get dissected in a split second in my mind and about a gazillion possibilities for why they said what they said or what I could say in response come flooding in. I feel both removed from the conversation and really in-tune with the person at the same time.

And your story about your mum and the mountains totally hits home. My mum is an INFP and she feels things so amazingly. She cries about things and gets angry and expresses things so easily. I always feel a little uncomfortable around her when she's like this, because she wants me to share in her emotional experiences, but I just don't work like that. Yes, it may affect me profoundly, but I don't express it like she does. I don't feel it like she does. This can frustrate both of us at times. :confused: With my ISTP dad, we just banter back and forth with each other and have a general good time, but I always feel kinda sad that we don't have more of a deep connection. This is where the "not feely enough for an F, not thinky enough for a T" can give me trouble. :tongue:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, most of the things people say get dissected in a split second in my mind and about a gazillion possibilities for why they said what they said or what I could say in response come flooding in. I feel both removed from the conversation and really in-tune with the person at the same time.
Two years late to the party, but OMG THIS!!!! I feel the same way when I'm talking to people! I sometimes feel bad about it, like I should be just listening, but I can't help it.

I'm also 7w6 (apparently) and I have pretty unpredictable emotional reactions. Sometimes I will be very "feely" at inappropriate times, and not very feely when I feel like I should be. I find that I analyze my emotions a lot, which could potentially stop me from just feeling them, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two years late to the party, but OMG THIS!!!! I feel the same way when I'm talking to people! I sometimes feel bad about it, like I should be just listening, but I can't help it.

I'm also 7w6 (apparently) and I have pretty unpredictable emotional reactions. Sometimes I will be very "feely" at inappropriate times, and not very feely when I feel like I should be. I find that I analyze my emotions a lot, which could potentially stop me from just feeling them, if that makes any sense.
THANK YOU. I am an ENFP 7w6 as well and BINGO. My mind races in conversations with other people when I am "on" and I feel completely detached and I am simultaneously analyzing everything at the same time. However, sometimes I hear a sound byte of some sad news story or feature story and I'm suddenly tearing up in the car? The over-reaction emotions don't last long in fact I am immediately aware of them and usually I laugh out loud at myself!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Another likely 7w6er here. I've done some reading but can't find the exact source, but the part that struck me was that despite sometimes being very on and typical ENFP feely we can dissociate from our emotions and become quite detached in order to avoid painful situations. It is strange to view myself as very empathic, but then sometimes when I know I should be having a certain emotional response (usually in a sad or bad situation) I don't feel it at all... Scares me to think of myself as cold or callous, but it comes and goes...

I'm sure there are posts in the Enneagram section... I should do more reading... hah... The personal development quest continues!

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Another likely 7w6er here. I've done some reading but can't find the exact source, but the part that struck me was that despite sometimes being very on and typical ENFP feely we can dissociate from our emotions and become quite detached in order to avoid painful situations. It is strange to view myself as very empathic, but then sometimes when I know I should be having a certain emotional response (usually in a sad or bad situation) I don't feel it at all... Scares me to think of myself as cold or callous, but it comes and goes...

I'm sure there are posts in the Enneagram section... I should do more reading... hah... The personal development quest continues!
Isn't all that the truth, well said :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts

I think this is why I keep myself constantly busy doing something. I can sit quietly and read, but honestly, I don't remember the last time I just sat down and did nothing. I'm not sure I'd know how to just sit down in a chair, or on my couch and do nothing, no internet, no drawing, no music, no reading, nothing...just sitting. I really don't think I'd know what to do with myself. I don't know why that is, but maybe it's another coping mechanism for avoiding painful feelings/situations?

I just started a book called Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman; It's about mindful meditation via concentrating on your breathing so you can slow your mind down. The concept is to turn off the busy brain and just concentrate on your breathing, which brings you a sense of relaxation. So far, it's been really beneficial.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Ok...so I never really got into Enneagram until recently and have realised I'm quite the type 7. However, I'm still kind of fresh at it and would like to hear more from other ENFP 7s.

Finding my Enneagram explains a lot. It explains why sometimes I don't think I'm as "feely" as other ENFPs. I want to know if other ENFP type 7s have this sort of "not feely enough for the NF category, not thinky enough to be an NT" problem.

I'm not an ENTP - the cognitive function just don't match up - but sometimes I wonder if I couldn't be an NT. I'm not...I know I'm not...but I live in my head so much and I don't tend to get worked up emotionally too often. I can explain it like this: my happiness comes from my head, not my heart...as does my sadness, anger, etc. It's not like I feel things superficially, but they're not a "whole body experience" like I've heard some NFs describe it. I am really in touch with my emotions, but I tend to rationalize them and don't put much stock in them.

Any other ENFP 7s feel this way?

Also, if you are not a 7, I would still like to hear your thoughts (about 7s or about yourself). I think the pairing of MBTI and Enneagram is very interesting!
have you discovered your instinct variant? if you are an Sp dom, that probably adds further to you not being as "feely" as other ENFPs. also, 7s are Id types, so naturally they're more focused on their desires and less on heavy emotional issues.

PS: this is why I don't like online MBTI tests (this has nothing to do with anything you said btw). they ask all these dumb, shallow questions like
- are you a logical person or an emotional person?
- do you think more about results or people?
- are you sensitive or hard nosed?
- do you care more about being right or agreeing?
...none of these questions tell you shit about your cognitive functions. I am an ENFP and I would answer on the T side of all of these questions.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I think this is why I keep myself constantly busy doing something. I can sit quietly and read, but honestly, I don't remember the last time I just sat down and did nothing. I'm not sure I'd know how to just sit down in a chair, or on my couch and do nothing, no internet, no drawing, no music, no reading, nothing...just sitting. I really don't think I'd know what to do with myself. I don't know why that is, but maybe it's another coping mechanism for avoiding painful feelings/situations?

I just started a book called Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman; It's about mindful meditation via concentrating on your breathing so you can slow your mind down. The concept is to turn off the busy brain and just concentrate on your breathing, which brings you a sense of relaxation. So far, it's been really beneficial.
I think people handle stress and pain differently. You moving around may take your mind off of anything that is bothering you. I would think that by sitting, one could find themselves thinking, maybe too much. I shut down emotionally and pretend it doesn't exist if i have too. I usually get it all out once i'm with the right people, although until then, i don't want to deal .

Meditation isn't easy at first, it wasn't for me. It wasn't easy to shut my mind off, it took a lot of focus and introspection. Once i got the hang of it , it became easier. I feel much more relaxed, even sometimes energized after meditation. It feels good to shut your brain down, slow your heartbeat. Good luck, i think this would be something you would enjoy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think this is why I keep myself constantly busy doing something. I can sit quietly and read, but honestly, I don't remember the last time I just sat down and did nothing...
Wow... Unless I'm actively trying to do "nothing" (meditate or whatever) I'm pretty much always doing something or looking for something to do... Even when I'm doing something I occasionally wonder if there is something else that I should be doing instead... hah... Though after I get started on some Te problem I can usually focus myself (which is why I hate multi-tasking, it just breaks my flow)

I've dabbled with some mindfulness stuff... A good introduction and guided practice can be found on youtube by Jon Kabat-Zinn presenting at a google-talk. But its something I don't practice regularly enough to feel like the positive effects last very long...

Whats your experience? Do you use it certain situations, or to deal with specific emotions/events, or just as general awareness and relaxation? Do you feel lasting benefits throughout the day?

I guess it beats doing nothing, hehe...

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I've dabbled with some mindfulness stuff... A good introduction and guided practice can be found on youtube by Jon Kabat-Zinn presenting at a google-talk. But its something I don't practice regularly enough to feel like the positive effects last very long...

Whats your experience? Do you use it certain situations, or to deal with specific emotions/events, or just as general awareness and relaxation? Do you feel lasting benefits throughout the day?

I guess it beats doing nothing, hehe...
Thank you, I will check that out. Right now I'm just beginng, but I've utilized mediation in the past...it usually didn't have a very long lasting effect on me, that's why I'm hoping mindfulness is better. I used it in childbirth and I use it when I feel stressed. My goal is to use the mindul meditation every morning and every evening...just a couple quick sessions so that it becomes a part of my daily life. I think that is when meditation is most effective, but I could be wrong.

I've found that cardio workouts (specifically elliptical and running) really help me, especially when I do them frequently.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think people handle stress and pain differently. You moving around may take your mind off of anything that is bothering you. I would think that by sitting, one could find themselves thinking, maybe too much. I shut down emotionally and pretend it doesn't exist if i have too. I usually get it all out once i'm with the right people, although until then, i don't want to deal .
I must be a really weird ENFP 7w6, because I spend a lot of time just doing nothing, sitting and thinking. I brood when I'm in pain, rather than running away from it or distracting myself.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I must be a really weird ENFP 7w6, because I spend a lot of time just doing nothing, sitting and thinking. I brood when I'm in pain, rather than running away from it or distracting myself.
Sounds like introspection is how you deal. Nothing wrong with that either. We all have our own ways of dealing with things that are happening internally. Sometimes i ponder, sit and think. Other times i keep active, although it doesn't mean i'm still not pondering, although it keeps my mind active on other things at the same time. For me thinking about it is easier, because while i think i'm also sorting it all out. I have to sort it out, then let it go. I don't want to sweep it under the rug because it will keep coming back. So, think, sort, process, understand, deal, then let go.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Sounds like introspection is how you deal. Nothing wrong with that either. We all have our own ways of dealing with things that are happening internally. Sometimes i ponder, sit and think. Other times i keep active, although it doesn't mean i'm still not pondering, although it keeps my mind active on other things at the same time. For me thinking about it is easier, because while i think i'm also sorting it all out. I have to sort it out, then let it go. I don't want to sweep it under the rug because it will keep coming back. So, think, sort, process, understand, deal, then let go.
Exactly! I am constantly pondering, and surprisingly, I manage to deal with stress, but I tend to distract myself around it...it's hard to describe. I truly can't bring it to words. Does anyone get what I mean?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I do that a lot too, especially when I'm pondering important decisions that affect other people and trying to figure out why I feel a certain way and if it is better to change how I feel and continue or to change the situation because my feelings are valid enough... But to me that is doing something. I guess to me nothing is when I can turn down my internal monologue and thoughts/emotions while simultaneously not being engaged in some motor/active skills that does that for me. Very hard for me to simply be still with my calm inner peace!

Exactly! I am constantly pondering, and surprisingly, I manage to deal with stress, but I tend to distract myself around it...it's hard to describe. I truly can't bring it to words. Does anyone get what I mean?
It seems maybe we are just have "Thought OCD" and instead of scrupulously organizing the physical objects in our lives, we sort of keep re-organizing our thoughts and analyzing our feelings over and over ruminating on it without ever quite becoming satisfied... So it is easier to stop doing that when you create sufficient cognitive load (e.g. tasks and activities) to distract your consciousness's attempt to organize all that deep dark messy unconscious spaghetti...

Too many big words, if I read that out-loud it sounds like spaghetti too! meh...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I guess to me nothing is when I can turn down my internal monologue and thoughts/emotions while simultaneously not being engaged in some motor/active skills that does that for me. Very hard for me to simply be still with my calm inner peace!
It seems maybe we are just have "Thought OCD" and instead of scrupulously organizing the physical objects in our lives, we sort of keep re-organizing our thoughts and analyzing our feelings over and over ruminating on it without ever quite becoming satisfied... So it is easier to stop doing that when you create sufficient cognitive load (e.g. tasks and activities) to distract your consciousness's attempt to organize all that deep dark messy unconscious spaghetti...

Too many big words, if I read that out-loud it sounds like spaghetti too! meh...
No, you described that perfectly! I brood in situations where I feel I NEED to do something, but can't take any physical action. So I think and analyze for hours. Once I've worn myself out with doing that, I'll feel like I need to attend a party, STAT!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My ENFP bf is a 7w6 and I relate to him being not emotional all the time. He's certainly more emotional than any of my exs (all T's I believe) before but there will be moments where I'm talking about something random and he has a surge of emotions and gets teary eyed. So it seems kinda strange...

I'm bumping this thread up so I can hear more responses from type 7 ENFPs <3 love ya!

·
Registered
600 Posts

Based on this, now I'm wondering if I'm a 7 [email protected][email protected]

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Sometimes I feel like boredom is the bogeyman, hiding in my closet ready to pounce on me. Of course, he's never actually there because I can amuse myself with a piece of string and a cardboard box (I'm like a cat that way), but that doesn't stop me from planning to keep him at bay. I'll bring books on trips even though I spend very little time reading and more often either look out the window or chat with a neighbor. I read in the bathtub because even though it's supposed to be a relaxing time to just chill, I need to keep occupied on something to actually relax. I used to play solitaire when my ex would call me during the time when the relationship was breaking apart - it kept my mind focused so my thoughts and emotions didn't go crazy and I could respond rationally, but he'd get so angry at me for not giving him all of my attention.

When I'm depressed, I just lay and stare. Sometimes I'll think about things, but usually I just stare at something in the room and don't have the will or desire to move. At least until I start thinking about whatever it is I'm depressed about, and then I cry until I'm numb and stare some more.

I think my problem is the number of thoughts I have going on in my head at any given time, to be honest. Being occupied forces the majority of the rambling into the background so I can make sense of everything. So maybe the bogeyman isn't boredom so much as a fear that I'll be overwhelmed by my own mind.

Speaking of which, have you ever had a conversation in your head that was so convincing you could swear you actually had it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts