Personality Cafe banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My ENFP bf is a 7w6 and I relate to him being not emotional all the time. He's certainly more emotional than any of my exs (all T's I believe) before but there will be moments where I'm talking about something random and he has a surge of emotions and gets teary eyed. So it seems kinda strange...

I'm bumping this thread up so I can hear more responses from type 7 ENFPs <3 love ya!
I'm like your bf in that regard. Sometimes things that are really happy make me tear up... Like birthday parties. O.O Music does it too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My ENFP bf is a 7w6 and I relate to him being not emotional all the time...
I just had a great tea-time talk yesterday with a gal I met through OkC who is also 7w6 though likely 1w2 and 4w5... We had *a lot* in common and over two hours went by in what felt like the blink of an eye...

It came up that her ENTP husband and she have certain difficulty when talking about her feelings... She is usually quite open, but a certain part of her is almost always guarded... She explained that she feels like if there is nothing that he can do to help, and it is something that she must work through herself (Fi ruminations), then she keeps silent because it will only make things worse (why burden him with her personal issue) sort of... And even though he is a Thinker, he has two important cognitive functions similar to to you: Ti and Fe... Those two seem to cause more problems than the others IMO when the direction is flipped (as compared to your SO)

So the theory we made up was that extroverted Feelers work out their emotions talking them out and bouncing them back and seeing how the people around them react and feel, but us Fi folks just go broody until we come to a conclusion and then we'll let you know what we need you to do about it.. Or sometimes we need to talk to someone *other* than the person to whom our feelings are related... Its not that we don't want to share everything and connect with you, its just we go about processing it differently before sharing...

I'm no expert, just some thoughts and hopefully you guys come to accept how each other deals with their feelings! :)

Reactions: nottie and Ethanol

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My main type isn't 7, but it's realllly close behind 9. I've always thought that my tendency to rationalize everything had more to do with my love of avoidance than anything else (although that's a 9 and a 7 thing XD). Why focus on emotions when I could be distracted by something fun? Around people I'm very expressive with any happy emotion, but the rest are shoved aside for a more appropriate time, if considered at all.

Dissecting them into "logical" whats and whys also helps for problem solving, which I like to tell myself is the whole point to the unpleasant emotions. I realize something is off so I can fix it.

So the theory we made up was that extroverted Feelers work out their emotions talking them out and bouncing them back and seeing how the people around them react and feel, but us Fi folks just go broody until we come to a conclusion and then we'll let you know what we need you to do about it.. Or sometimes we need to talk to someone *other* than the person to whom our feelings are related... Its not that we don't want to share everything and connect with you, its just we go about processing it differently before sharing...
This makes perfect sense for all my interactions with Fe/Ti people. My ENTP friend is far more outwardly emotional than I am, and before I understood T vs F I wondered how she was possibly the thinker of the two of us. It was further confused when ENTPs told me that none of them are ever irrational and emotional, so obviously she must be a feeler. Now I understand that my uncomfort with her RAHH RAGE GRR moments is because emotions I would consider highly private are just a reason for her to rant.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The OP expressed it so well, too thinky for an F, too feely for a T. I feel (ha!) this way all the time. I actually place much more value on T and admire my T friends for their logical processes, and tend to look down on super feely people. I know I'm not an ENTP but I really like the type, they're exactly who I would be if I was truly as rational as I thought was "correct" (I'm an admirer of science, an atheist, and I try very hard to never make important decisions based on my F). That's where I go first, it's who I am, but I don't trust my F implicitly at all. It's the wildcard in my arsenal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes. That last part about "feely but not a lot of stock in them" is completely me. I have intense emotions, but they do not last long because my brain quickly dispells them. I am a Type 2 followed by a Type 7. Not sure what my wings are, but I'm 2,7,4

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Reviving this thread two years later, nbd.

I'm a 7w6 and never felt like the typical ENFP. I was thinking I was ENTP for a while, because I've heard, "youre too cold for an ENFP" though I can have my Rapunzel moments, I'm a Megera (Hercules) with first or second impressions. Dont get me wrong, I'm still wide eyed and singing about truth, love, beauty, & art lolol however, I'm perhaps the most elusive person anyone can ever meet; I have no problem letting you in and expressing my life to you - but dont expect me to stick around, I dont let myself stick anywhere tbh. And I think the detachment is not associated with being an ENFP. And I agree with the whole "to thinky to be a feeler, and too feely to be a thinker" Also, ENFPs are intuitves, but as 7s we are seen as sensors.

At times I can be seem emotional, but it always shocks people because I usually keep my cool, and be quiet with my emotions. So then eventually, if I do get emotional, Im HYSTERICAL. And if I do cry, my tears are like waterfalls and then they get shut off after two minutes, literally. The trick is to sit me down, and shut me up - or just let me get tired of being emotional - because I usually do. Stress, worries, all that crap gets me anxious for 20 minutes max, and then it's nothing to me.

As for empathy? Im empathetic when I choose to be. Some people can see me as insenstive but thats only if I feel your situation doesnt deserve my empathy, and I cant bother to keep your negativity around, because as impressionistic as I am, I know you being in a bad mood will just rub off of me - and I enjoy my inner peace too much for that sacrafice. Small example, if a movie starts with someone crying and I have no backstory, I wont let it get to me. But if a tv show starts, and they give me a recap JAL'S FIRST LOVE AND BABY DADDY JUST DIED AND SHES PREGNANT then ok, I will start the waterworks, yknow?

It's almost as if being an ENFP and 7 is asking to be a walking contradiction. Water + Fire = Us. Graceful steam, we be.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ugh, yeah for sure. A lot of times people will say stuff about how they're feeling and I care about it but I'm not like "Stop the conversation, I need to help you right now!" I'll just keep up the conversation and continue on the topic, WHILE thinking about what they said. Sometimes I feel like maybe I'm just a little bit too wound-up to openly care because then I'll start showing my deeper emotions and that's a no for me.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Lol why do people keep dropping this thread and reopening it? Here we go again!

I relate a lot to this. I literally just realized I was an ENFP rather than an ESFP or ESTP a few hours ago, and it puts my 7ness into perspective, and now my 7ness is also putting my ENFPness (ha) into perspective. I hesitated to identify as ENFP for a long time because they seemed too touchy feely and wishy washy for my tastes. As a 7, I am uncomfortable expressing emotions other than happiness, and I guess 7s are more pragmatic in general than the average ENFP, so that explains a lot.

Reading this thread full of ENFP 7w6s is quite a relief because I feel I can actually relate to the ENFPs here. Reading most ENFP dominated threads gives me a headache. Too many smileys and e-hugs and "randomness lol".

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes that's bcos ENFP and ESFP type 7 uses Te as auxiliary. Acc. to Jung, u can have either your 2nd OR 3rd function as auxiliary. So Fi is more of a blindspot. So u use Ne - Te rather than Ne - Fi which is used by ENFPs of type 2 or 4.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts