Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

I just had some random thoughts and was thinking I might be an ENFP actually... I keep changing my mind between INFJ/INFP... and I think there might be an issue.

I honestly haven't really considered ENFP... as I don't consider myself very "EXTROVERTED" in the classic sense.

At first, I thought and tested INFP... then started thinking well, no, I don't think that F is my dominant thing, it's there, but I'm more of an idea person. So I went with INFJ for awhile... then I am thinking hmm... This whole Ni thing, I am not after focusing on just a few things, I like to leave things open ended...and I'm not sure I actually express Fe that much, I might want to, but I don't.

Caveat, I could still be either one, but I was thinking of trying on the ENFP hat... yet, I wouldn't consider myself a "people person" that much... how extroverted are ENFP's actually?

Do ENFP's go job to job? Do ENFP's have the tendency to get drained by people? I'm kind of introverted, but I might throw a party or something, or organize something spontaneously, go on crazy road trips... BUT, then people drain me.
How diverse are your interests? One of my main problems is, my diversity of interests, it's not that I can't focus, I just feel if I concentrate on one thing, I'm neglecting the other. I was *scoff scoff* and not to boast, one of the smartest kids in my class, and through college, and went to an elite school. My main problem is, lack of wanting to pick a singular pursuit, it's so systematic... so stifling. If I could I'd have Masters degrees in 10 different fields.
It seems any time I come to a decision, my brain nags me...then I change my mind, then I just keep my options open... it's so frustrating. Like I am constantly getting BLASTED with new information, some information I don't even want! It just comes to me, like some kind of freaking oracle of information drowning my brain with it.

Other odd habits. Sometimes I read like 6-7 books at a time. I can do the wikipedia jumping from one idea to the next... for... hours, what seems like a time vortex, by hours, I mean like 8 hours straight of this crap.

So, evaluate, please... ENFP folks. Is it possible I am in your domain?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I agree, about 90% of what you said I identified with. I would pursue more with school and all... but I'm the rare ENFP that would prefer not to do too much changing with my professional careers. I already had enough inconsistency and chaos with my younger years!

But, I like learning about many subjects!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
i think mbti has a negative effect in cases like this where people come to believe that type transcends being a human being in the first place, and your experiences.

don't put quite so much faith in mbti would be my advice- being drained by people in a given circumstance, as an individual, does not always get determined by a letter that comes out as a result of a fancy quiz. some ENFPs are drained easily, some aren't. the one thing that is true is- a true introvert who is completely happy with their lives on every level would probably still feel drained in a loud outgoing crowd for too long.

you also have to remember that extroversion only determines the direction of the primary function, the secondary function has needs too.

if you're just after a straight answer, no i generally don't get drained, although i did when i went through a depressive faze, and i do when i'm around people i find difficult to communicate with or in tense or awkward situations (which is a part of being human), and there are times if i spend too much nonstop time with the same person i'll get irritable (also normal)- but lately i find that being around people and being on my own almost feels like two completely different sides to me, and i like both. when i'm around people i usually don't want to be on my own, and when i'm enjoying my own company and the quiet of my thoughts i'm often blissfully content to stay that way- although you could say that it depends what the trend of my life is like, at the moment my life is studying so you could say i'm more pensive, wheras at uni i was going out most nights which only made me want to go out more.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Reactions: Bumblyjack

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll say this much... figuring out whether you're INFJ or ENFP should be pretty darn easy from a cognitive function standpoint.... they're very different types.

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes
Cognitive Processes
I'm not so sure it is so clear cut, N/F both seem blurrier than S/T ... just by definition. And I use all 4 at some point (Ni/Ne .. Fi/Fe) somewhat well, or in a shadow/reflective mode due to stress/life/etc, which one... not sure, the ideas, and new ideas, then new "revelations" often bring in doubt. So just when I think I *know* for about a week, some new ideas or insight comes to me, then I doubt again.

S and T both should come to the Si (past events) or Te (objective fact) of what type you are... for instance... or Se (living in the moment and observing) or Ti (thinking through things)... but if these are *both* in the tertiary/inferior positions, theoretically it should be a bit harder determining the "clear cut" positions of the top N/F, where one ends, where one begins... I feel like the N is always changing anyway, or open to morphing, and things of that nature...hard to explain.

It doesn't help that my thoughts side with the doubt of the progress of scientism in general, and I think the entire systemizing and categorizing is futile in the grand scheme of things, and that is exactly MBTI's intent. So I doubt the ability of the clear cut *types* in the first place and see it as more of an interconnected gradient, which could possibly be shifting, just as the theory itself has grown and shifted. This was clear in the progression from Jungian to Myers Briggs theory itself from adding the J/P addition.

Another thought, just the concept of doubt itself, and the common "theme" of the INTJ/INFJ types to *know* what they want, often from an early age...whether it be career, what ideas they like to work on...makes me lean I might actually be an INFP/ENFP instead. If that is true, then INFP/ENFP have the exact same functions, so which dominates, which is auxilary, what if the aux is well developed and almost even after long periods of self reflection, trial and errors. Their main function stack is identical just in different positions, and not an *opposite* trend such as the INFJ/ESTP polarity.

I also think a large amount of people on this forum are mistyped, so the "shouldn't be hard" makes me think, they actually haven't tried hard enough on their path towards self discovery, and might have stopped questioning far too early and settled on a type, which may not be their own... b/c it is kind of hard to me at least, self discovery, transformation, insights... other things aren't so much. This could also be me projecting my own sentiments about personality types onto others, but ... considering how often people change types on here... I'd probably go with the former.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can identify with a lot of what you said, its very Ne. Also, I definitely get very worn out by people (I'm a very introverted extrovert these days =/ but there's a lot more to that) but I still consider myself an extrovert. Ne is tiring and sometimes you just need a break to think. I think one of the ways I know I am an extrovert is after I take my time to think, I feel the NEED to tell someone about what I have discovered and talk their poor little ears off with it. I'm lucky I have a loving mother and an awesome best friend who I can call up pretty much whenever I want to. If I have no one to share my thoughts with, I flip out. There's also the problem of having people to talk to, but who you know don't want to listen, and that is highly depressing to me.

I'm always 50/50 on the introvert/extrovert tests, but I guess I've just decided that ENFP is more like me than INFP. I think the xNFPs are often kind of ambivertish so its definitely tough.

I really like that video because it explains why ENFPs are kind of introverted and I definitely identify with a lot of what he says. Maybe that will help. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can identify with a lot of what you said, its very Ne. Also, I definitely get very worn out by people (I'm a very introverted extrovert these days =/ but there's a lot more to that) but I still consider myself an extrovert. Ne is tiring and sometimes you just need a break to think. I think one of the ways I know I am an extrovert is after I take my time to think, I feel the NEED to tell someone about what I have discovered and talk their poor little ears off with it. I'm lucky I have a loving mother and an awesome best friend who I can call up pretty much whenever I want to. If I have no one to share my thoughts with, I flip out. There's also the problem of having people to talk to, but who you know don't want to listen, and that is highly depressing to me.

I'm always 50/50 on the introvert/extrovert tests, but I guess I've just decided that ENFP is more like me than INFP. I think the xNFPs are often kind of ambivertish so its definitely tough.

I really like that video because it explains why ENFPs are kind of introverted and I definitely identify with a lot of what he says. Maybe that will help. :)
I love that video :)

yes, often misquoted as introverted but then most people think introverted = shy but many introverts are very confident. They just can only relate one-to-one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had some random thoughts and was thinking I might be an ENFP actually... I keep changing my mind between INFJ/INFP... and I think there might be an issue.
I've done the tests on different sites and I keep coming up ENFP. But I've been down a very long road - so not sure what I would have tested 10 years ago. At school I'd definitely have qualified as I. But I'm so E. Even though I might be shy/timid/introverted - I want to be extroverted. Personality leaning isn't necessarily about how you act, but who you are/want to exhibit. you might be shy or introverted due to confidence. As my confidence grew, my external E grew. but internaly I was always extroverted (odd how it sounds). That's an ENFP. You're sometimes quiet on the outside but always loud internally.

I honestly haven't really considered ENFP... as I don't consider myself very "EXTROVERTED" in the classic sense.
I'm not sure how much choice we have in it. Its not clothing...

At first, I thought and tested INFP... then started thinking well, no, I don't think that F is my dominant thing, it's there, but I'm more of an idea person. So I went with INFJ for awhile... then I am thinking hmm... This whole Ni thing, I am not after focusing on just a few things, I like to leave things open ended...and I'm not sure I actually express Fe that much, I might want to, but I don't.
INFP's are quite often OCD'ish - does that fit?

Do ENFP's go job to job? Do ENFP's have the tendency to get drained by people? I'm kind of introverted, but I might throw a party or something, or organize something spontaneously, go on crazy road trips... BUT, then people drain me.
How diverse are your interests? One of my main problems is, my diversity of interests, it's not that I can't focus, I just feel if I concentrate on one thing, I'm neglecting the other. I was *scoff scoff* and not to boast, one of the smartest kids in my class, and through college, and went to an elite school. My main problem is, lack of wanting to pick a singular pursuit, it's so systematic... so stifling. If I could I'd have Masters degrees in 10 different fields.
It seems any time I come to a decision, my brain nags me...then I change my mind, then I just keep my options open... it's so frustrating. Like I am constantly getting BLASTED with new information, some information I don't even want! It just comes to me, like some kind of freaking oracle of information drowning my brain with it.
Yes if you can't find the right one. ENFP adn ENFJ are typical entrepreneurs. Other types like ENTJ are also - but they can fit into corporate life culture and ENFP's detest it. If you keep jumping due to boredom and not other issues, maybe. My interests are diverse but many of them are incredibly rich but I rarely get very detailed. I can deep dive into something but I won't deep dive into everything equally - that's typical of INTx types.

Other odd habits. Sometimes I read like 6-7 books at a time. I can do the wikipedia jumping from one idea to the next... for... hours, what seems like a time vortex, by hours, I mean like 8 hours straight of this crap.
Love that. 8 hours is too much for me though.

So, evaluate, please... ENFP folks. Is it possible I am in your domain?
ENFP's are ridiculously bad at recognising other types.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts