Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I've asked INFP's and INFJ's about their intuition, but not ENFP's.

How much do you trust your intuition? And what do you normally use it for? Does it comes in hunches, insights, feelings or what?

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I usually get hunches about people and situations, not necessarily like what people would say, "Oh- I just HATE that person, just because something about them seems so OFF!!" To me- that's not intuition, but prejudice. Too often, that kind of behavior/thinking seems to be associated with 'intuition' when in fact, it's mostly 'schemas' that people associate with in their own personal experiences projected onto their own perception/reality.

I usually listen to it in terms of say.. noticing the 'politics' behind group interactions, and the little idiosyncratic things about a person.. it's weird. I don't know if being an artist has anything to do with it, but say for instance, when I first meet someone, something about them will pop up in my mind.. I.E.- I just met a guy kind of recently, and for some reason, my hunch said, "OCD, likes guns, commanded people in forceful types of ways, and must have things in order, otherwise, highly irritable." It was within 10 minutes of communicating with him.. I don't know where these thoughts come from, but they were true. In other cases, my intuition picked up similar things about people, but not necessarily character- more like likes/dislikes and behavioral preferences. In the end, I found out he was actually a sergeant in the military who suffered from PTSD (I also had him take an MBTI just for fun). He was an INTJ who fought in Iraq, and held people hostage for questioning, just because it was his job, in which he really enjoys. He lines his soldiers up in a very OCD fashion, as well. heheh

I also use it to get a feel of situations I enter. Especially at work where I know who's the dominant one, what I should or should not say, who's outcasted, who's the pleaser (placater), and the person who sits in the background and intellectualizes, verses the clown, or detached person who doesn't want to get involved. I think this is mainly due to non-verbals, and a combination of getting a 'feel' for other people's emotions that happen simultaneously. It's like a sudden rush that I get during our first encounter. (if that makes sense :p)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually get hunches about people and situations, not necessarily like what people would say, "Oh- I just HATE that person, just because something about them seems so OFF!!" To me- that's not intuition, but prejudice. Too often, that kind of behavior/thinking seems to be associated with 'intuition' when in fact, it's mostly 'schemas' that people associate with in their own personal experiences projected onto their own perception/reality.

I usually listen to it in terms of say.. noticing the 'politics' behind group interactions, and the little idiosyncratic things about a person.. it's weird. I don't know if being an artist has anything to do with it, but say for instance, when I first meet someone, something about them will pop up in my mind.. I.E.- I just met a guy kind of recently, and for some reason, my hunch said, "OCD, likes guns, commanded people in forceful types of ways, and must have things in order, otherwise, highly irritable." It was within 10 minutes of communicating with him.. I don't know where these thoughts come from, but they were true. In other cases, my intuition picked up similar things about people, but not necessarily character- more like likes/dislikes and behavioral preferences. In the end, I found out he was actually a sergeant in the military who suffered from PTSD (I also had him take an MBTI just for fun). He was an INTJ who fought in Iraq, and held people hostage for questioning, just because it was his job, in which he really enjoys. He lines his soldiers up in a very OCD fashion, as well. heheh

I also use it to get a feel of situations I enter. Especially at work where I know who's the dominant one, what I should or should not say, who's outcasted, who's the pleaser (placater), and the person who sits in the background and intellectualizes, verses the clown, or detached person who doesn't want to get involved. I think this is mainly due to non-verbals, and a combination of getting a 'feel' for other people's emotions that happen simultaneously. It's like a sudden rush that I get during our first encounter. (if that makes sense :p)
Ah I see. Thanks for this. I can relate to your last paragraph, being an intuitive empath means you pick up on other people's emotions easily.

And (just to put it out there) intuition shouldn't lead one to harm others with prejudice. Sincere trust in intuition should lead to doing good, not bad.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I dont think Ne works with "hunches" as Ni does. Ne sees possible scenarious branching out the present reality and navigated the user through this possibilities. Usually this scenarious are derived from a shotgun trigger of "wha if" questions. There is no mysticism behind it. Ni can seem mystic because it makes desicions from information clusters that are hard to clarify to the outside parties because the causes and effects are so tied together that one would have to untangle them to capture their essence into words, unless the Ni user has a silver tongue at explaining abstract concepts from the inside and out.
I believe that if ENFP's or INFP's experience this hunches that you speak of, then Fi is probably the culprit. Since Fi works much like Ni, but integrating different information. Usually mantle of Fi is stiched with moral standars, self identity and other elements of the "self," unlike Ni's mantle which is stiched with the thread of causes and effects. Like Ni, it can select clusters of information that are hard to explain to spectators.
Ti could work like this, but usually, because of its very nature, the information is too organized to be thought to originate from "hunches." Usually one gets the feeling that Ti users have done their research, even if it is just their own ideas.
Wow, I now look back at the wreckege that my Ne tangents have left behind... :crazy:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Much like the above poster, I find threads from what I see and imagine their possibilities. I use it often to make decisions... though it has often left me stumped. The plethora of possibilities are endless! I often just choose one and pray that the outcomes will turn out okay. Even if they're less than ideal, I will try to find more threads and choose the most positive. There are always more and more threads to find.

I also use N on people. I think about their personality, how/why it came to. There's a person in my class who made up some pretty fucking crazy stories. I came up with the possibility that he was disappointed with a failed romance so he twisted reality to make him feel better. He didn't want to face the truth so he chose the route of denial. He wanted to feel better without facing the facts. I don't know the actual truth but that's my perception on it. I just put the threads together: the boy has a history of mental problems and failed romances, over-active imagination and often exaggerates stories to epic proportions. My Ne hasn't always been right... it has made mistakes... but it is often right. :crazy: Fuck yeah for Ne.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I thought mum would bring fish and chips home for dinner because we were talking about having it a few days but didn't end up picking any up and I was right. Does that count? Because that sort of thing happens all of the time.

Sometimes I suspect things about people but unless you are in some kind of relationship with that person (friend/family/lover) theres no way of knowing if you were right or not.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
almost completely. thing is, intuition seems all mysterious at the time, but if you take a step back and really think about it, there are reasons and calculations your subconcious makes in giving you every hunch, it's just that usually you're not going to stop and analyse it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I often see things happening in my mind, i.e. I will see myself running into a friend at the store, and then a couple hours later when I go to the store I run into that same friend. I can also hear answers to questions, in my mind, right before people say them. These don't happen all the time but often enough. This carries over when it comes to meeting new people. I usually get a strong sense of who they are after a short period of time. *Not always*, but I can very easily tell a lot about someone even without a huge amount of interaction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts