Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are your little tricks you pull in school in order to increase your performance and enthusiasm? What keeps you going? How do you use your F in school? How do you refill your emotional needs when you are always doing work?

Just overall blabbing about different ways to attack the workforce/school is welcome.

Reactions: Coccinellidae

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I really tend to do very well in school. I think the most helpful for me is my Ne, because I use it to make connections between what is being taught in class to my own life, experiences, friends, other classes, everything, and that really reinforces the information in my memory. Intuition makes literary analysis (and similar tasks) really easy to do. My xNFP qualities make anthropology an easy fit, too - it is just natural for me to think holistically and relativistically. Being a Feeler is great for psychology, because I understand emotions and emotional experience easily and naturally on a rather advanced level. My Te is really helpful in all the sciences.

Reactions: Raichan

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I wouldn't say they are tricks, but basically I internally use the carrot and stick method.

Stick: I tell myself if I don't pass a class I will be stuck in this hell yet again (referring to classes I rather not be taking). I also remind myself that if I don't pass I would have wasted the money I payed for this class...

Carrot: The more I do the work, the easier it becomes thus making the work less of a burden on my "free" time. Also, the better I do where I can, the less I have to worry about in the areas I can't. Ace the easy stuff to buffer the hard stuff.

Sitting next to a cute girl also gives me a little bit more motivation. I have to know the answers in the event they need assistance (or something like that.)

As for refilling my emotional needs. If I need me time, I take it. Stressing out over some stupid homework crap isn't worth it to me. I am there to learn, not to get a sticker. (aka an "A")

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I used to find ways to make many of my assignments into protests, or to follow the rules of each assignment according to how they were worded without following them in principle.

For example, one time when the assignment was to give a class presentation on a political issue, instead of giving a lecture like everyone else, I wrote and performed a song about censorship.

When the assignment was to write an essay on democracy, instead of writing some mundane patriotic propaganda like everyone else was doing, I wrote mine about how even in a democracy certain ideals remain elusive because of certain irreconcilable paradoxes regarding "freedom from" vs. "freedom to," and the improbability of achieving true ideological homogeneity even within smaller organizational structures such as families.

If I wasn't able to directly rebel against an assignment I disliked, I would often passive-aggressively reference it in another assignment in order to express my feelings and opinions about it.

When the assignments allowed too little freedom for any kind of expression or creativity to occur, I would use the mundane repetitive busywork as an opportunity to practice making my handwriting more artistic. There was nothing in the rules about not using a quill pen, after all. :)

(handwriting sample for another thread)

During the repetitive boring lectures, I would make up secret languages or doodle instead of taking notes. I would sometimes do this on paper, but more often, in the classes where it was accepted, I would draw in pencil on my desk. I became friends with the janitor this way because of a couple of classes in which I wasn't required to clean the desk afterward.

Here are some actual examples of things I drew in school:

So, having devised temporary solutions to prevent the numbing of my brain, my main difficulty in school was dealing with social cruelty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts