Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

Life itself! I feel life has a lot of potential and I want to get everything out of it that I can. I feel that I have a lot to become, a lot that I want to do.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I want to make a positive impact on other people's lives while doing things that I love. I want to go into business for myself and plan/create beautiful events that bring joy to my clients because they feel like I really "got them". I want to marry someone I love, and support him and go on lots of adventures together.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I never want to hurt anyone, especially by making them feel like they aren't special and valuable just the way they are. I could never use or betray someone for my own personal gain. Some of the values that I hold dear are fidelity, monogamy, honesty, loyalty, and forgiveness.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Losing control, in just about every area… my life, my mind, my body. Consequently, I have trust issues, since trusting someone else means letting go of a little control. I also fear death and an unfulfilling life.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I mostly just want others to see me as a very unique individual. That there's no one quite like me. I want to be seen as exciting, creative, utterly capable, and genuinely good-hearted. I don't like people to see me differently than I see myself. I want everyone to really know and understand the real me.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

Being loved, liked, and appreciated for my talents and abilities. I feel worst when people judge me or think ill of me, especially as a result of a misunderstanding.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

a). I am an "excitable" person, but my anger is pretty quick and mild and easily appeased. On the rare occasions that I do get really angry, though, it "blinds" me and I feel like exploding. I don't act out too badly, though I might let out some really harsh words or storm out of the room.

b). I feel deeply embarrassed and just want to crawl out of my skin. I am certain that any person involved now thinks so much less of me, and has negatively judged me forever.

c). I have generalized anxiety disorder. When I am anxious, my mind races or repeats things; my muscles stay tense for days; my digestive tract messes up; I obsess about whatever is bothering me and introvert myself.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a). My response to stress is pretty unpredictable. Sometimes stress energizes me and I thrive on it, but when too much of this "positive stress" (a busy schedule, for example) is mixed with "negative stress" (such as discord in personal relationships), I will become overwhelmed and swing back and forth between solitary brooding and hyper-extroversion, whilst accomplishing very little.

b). I get really annoyed and pouty about it at first, because I am very strong-willed and like to have things go as planned, especially if they were MY plans. But after I'm done complaining, I'll very easily adapt to the change and find myself feeling quite happy and refreshed and a little foolish for making a stink about it.

c). I dislike it, and avoid it, but I usually come to a point where I can and will face it in order to bring about the change that's needed. Once I get into a conflict situation, I tend to be a bit of a fighter and will push and push to have my way or have myself understood, which might lead some people to think that I actually enjoy conflict. But I don't, and will always take everything very personally.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

a). I don't have much respect for authority. I tend to feel like rules should be looked on more like guidelines. I'm not aggressively defiant, though; I charm my way around the rules. But it really frustrates me to see incompetent people in authority positions.

b). I often find myself in positions of authority/power without really trying or knowing how I got there. I tend to like it that way. I've been known to have power struggles with people in the workplace.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

I'm a positive person. Even when I'm depressed it doesn't take much to give me hope again. I feel that humanity is good overall, and that every person has some good, some humanity in them. Everyone has potential and purpose.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely 7w6, IMO.

Here are some good links to read up on types:
Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions
the enneagram ...info from the underground
and also each type's forum has an article written by Timeless, which is great also.
Thanks! I am a little hesitant about this Enneagram stuff though.

I STRONGLY relate to some of the stuff about Type 7, especially the parts about misinterpreting wants as needs, having a hard time accepting the world as less accommodating as I'd like, and thinking that the future is just around the corner. However, I don't feel like I'm gluttonously fun-loving (because I'm pretty responsible) or shameless and cocky. I also can't relate with the part of the description of 7w6 where it talks about being Peter Pan types. I sometimes feel that I'm rather in a hurry to grow up and become a responsible adult.

Another interesting thing I found is that when I'm going through a tough time in life, I exhibit a lot of Type 6 behavior. My natural trust in life and myself just flies out the window. I start trying to fix problems that don't even exist yet, and I spend a lot of time trying to create a sense of security, even if it's just in my own head. Does this have something to do with my 6 wing?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
7w6 with a strong wing or cp 6w7 IMO.

However, I don't feel like I'm gluttonously fun-loving (because I'm pretty responsible) or shameless and cocky. I also can't relate with the part of the description of 7w6 where it talks about being Peter Pan types. I sometimes feel that I'm rather in a hurry to grow up and become a responsible adult.

Another interesting thing I found is that when I'm going through a tough time in life, I exhibit a lot of Type 6 behavior. My natural trust in life and myself just flies out the window. I start trying to fix problems that don't even exist yet, and I spend a lot of time trying to create a sense of security, even if it's just in my own head. Does this have something to do with my 6 wing?
I don't think I'm gluttonously fun-loving as well, and I think I'm a Seven. I am, however, shameless and cocky, but it might be a matter of my 8 wing.

This is a description from ocean-moonshine.net:
Sevens and Six can mistype, especially if the wing is strong. Both types can be high energy and intellectual and both tend to have a quick nervous energy. Sevens, however, have a far more optimistic outlook on life than do Sixes who are generally aware of just what might go wrong. Sevens tend, overall, to be more averse to responsibility than Sixes. Sevens tend to look on the bright side whereas Sixes find it difficult to make light of their difficulties.
Sixes and Sevens can mistype if the wing is strong and the Six particularly lively or the Seven especially aware of inner anxiety. But Sevens tend to be optimistic about their future prospects, sometimes in an exagerrated fashion, whereas Sixes tend to be guarded in this respect, pessimistic even. Sixes seldom have a problem meeting their responsibilities whereas the converse is often true for Sevens.
What do you think about it?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Thanks! I am a little hesitant about this Enneagram stuff though.

I STRONGLY relate to some of the stuff about Type 7, especially the parts about misinterpreting wants as needs, having a hard time accepting the world as less accommodating as I'd like, and thinking that the future is just around the corner. However, I don't feel like I'm gluttonously fun-loving (because I'm pretty responsible) or shameless and cocky. I also can't relate with the part of the description of 7w6 where it talks about being Peter Pan types. I sometimes feel that I'm rather in a hurry to grow up and become a responsible adult.

No, you're most likely a 6w7 then. 7s don't gravitate towards negativity as you explain yourself as doing naturally. As my good friend Spades has done describing how a 7 views such matters:
Alright, here we go.

First off, I massively misunderstood Type 7 at first glance. It sounded awesome, but it didn't sound like me. I made several errors when I dismissed it. Firstly, I thought "spontaneous" meant totally unplanned, but the dictionary definition states, "Having a natural, and uninhibited manner". This is very true for me. Even still, it turns out that Sevens are centered around planning. Not necessarily fulfilling their plans, but thinking about the future. This greatly applies to me. I definitely don't accomplish everything I plan, because there's just so much I want to do! I also don't feel guilty about not getting to things, because there is just so much wonder in the world, and priorities win out.

Secondly, I misunderstood what Extroversion was. There are so many definitions out there, and under the MBTI one, I felt like an Introvert. I'm extremely independent and introspective, and I'm not typically concerned with others. However, I am stimulated by both the inner and outer worlds. I can't stay cooped up in my head for long before I long to explore, to discover, to interact with the world. Sevens are independent types. Even as extroverts, they are more concerned with ideas, activities, excitement, and less so with people.

Thirdly, I misunderstood the idea of escaping from boredom. I thought, "I never get bored! There's so much to do and contemplate!" I didn't realize that boredom referred to "stagnation", and stagnation is something I greatly fear. Being deprived, restricted, disabled, limited, stuck, constrained from pursuing my passions, is torture. Freedom is my desire, freedom from worry, obligation, negativity, and most of all, fear. I want to see all there is to see, try all there is to try. That's the best way to truly know something.

I have "too many" interests, but I don't think it's too many at all. I'd rather be well-versed in many things than expert in few. I'm scared to get too much into one thing, as my whole mind-frame and world-view will be affected by it. I'm decent at piano, violin, flute, percussion, bass guitar, and DJ-ing. I'm "fluent" in sports such as figure skating, skiing, and rollerblading. I'm interested in just about any abstract topic there is. My university education covers areas of chemistry, physics, computer science, and mathematics. I've been on work terms in many different locations, including the Swiss Alps. I ultimately want to live in as many places as I can, to really experience the culture and surroundings.

Ironically, I do fit the happy-go-lucky hyperactive enthusiast image. However, there is so much more to it, and I feel that this applies to all Sevens, whether or not they show any enthusiasm at all. I do not understand why people associate it with being superficial, fake, or lacking depth. It's a huge insult to see that erroneous judgment be made. It's not about how happy we actually are, or how great our lives are. We have struggles just like everybody else, but we look forward. We have faith that things will work out, and we don't dwell because dwelling is unnecessary pain. People are complex and dynamic. Sevens are one of the most versatile types of the Enneagram. Our vast experience and breadth brings about a wisdom about the world, a view of the big picture. As head types, we seek to understand, like Fives and Sixes. We seek it through involvement and variety.

I don't attribute my happiness and love of life to being a Seven. That's my own personal experience. I was depressed from the ages of 11 to 17, suffered anxiety, phobias, severe anger problems, and family problems. I was strongly attracted to dark things, to the mysterious, the melancholic, and the bizarre. Those things are a part of life, and as long as I maintain a certain distance from fear and negativity, I can enjoy them. I have grown tremendously since that time, gaining strength and the ability to maintain positivity. I don't think that's type-related, I think mental health, spiritual growth, and personal development are entirely up to the individual. An unhealthy Seven might appear as content as a healthy Seven, but they will most likely be involved in escapism.
A preference to continue to see the silver lining instead of pre-occupy yourself with anxiety is how 7s roll. 6w7's can be very outgoing similar to a 7w6, but inside there is much anxiety taking place.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, you're most likely a 6w7 then. 7s don't gravitate towards negativity as you explain yourself as doing naturally. As my good friend Spades has done describing how a 7 views such matters:

A preference to continue to see the silver lining instead of pre-occupy yourself with anxiety is how 7s roll. 6w7's can be very outgoing similar to a 7w6, but inside there is much anxiety taking place.
Hmm... Perhaps I am a 7w6 with a very strong wing. I'm not naturally negative. Maybe I'm being 6-ish because I'm at a point in life when EVERYTHING is going wrong (seriously–– lost a job, lost a LTR, death of pet, housing situation unstable–– all in an 8 month period), and my illusions of everything always working out for me are being ripped to shreds.

Up until this past year, I was definitely Type 7, except perhaps for the aversion to responsibility (although I've always resented responsibilities being put on me by others), and the escapism. I tend to not run away from things that are difficult or drop them entirely, but I may try to divert my attention from them rather than deal with them when I don't feel like it.

I also really like @Spades described escaping from boredom. I thought "Hey, I can be content! I'm not always chasing greener grass!" But then I realized that perhaps I can achieve contentment because I'm so good at making things work out exactly the way I want them to.

Also, all the Type 6 stuff about following rules to protect them against the unknown has no resonance with me. My instinct is to not be tied down to following rules.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Wake

So, now I'm feeling more confident in my typing as 7w6... I realized that I was thinking I was a 6 because I'm feeling uncharacteristically unhappy-go-lucky in this season of my life. It also helped to compare myself to my mom, a classic 6w5. She approaches everything with caution and pessimism; I only am pessimistic about the specific areas of my life where my hopes have very recently been dashed.

I was wondering: how do variants work? And how might they affect a 7w6's behavior? According to the thread below, I'm either a Sp/Sx or a Sx/Sp, but I'm not sure which. Do you know any way to figure that out?

http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/9163-type-seven-variant-stackings.html

Also, what's with people having a set of three different types and wings?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I was wondering: how do variants work? And how might they affect a 7w6's behavior? According to the thread below, I'm either a Sp/Sx or a Sx/Sp, but I'm not sure which. Do you know any way to figure that out?
Heh. I'm either a sx/sp or a sp/sx, I still can't figure that out. Maybe you're interested in the ever-growing thread in 7 subforum? http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/71761-self-preservation-7s.html

Okay, the sticky:
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...-instinctual-variants-sp-sx-so-explained.html

Reactions: avantgardearmy

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
@Wake

So, now I'm feeling more confident in my typing as 7w6... I realized that I was thinking I was a 6 because I'm feeling uncharacteristically unhappy-go-lucky in this season of my life. It also helped to compare myself to my mom, a classic 6w5. She approaches everything with caution and pessimism; I only am pessimistic about the specific areas of my life where my hopes have very recently been dashed.

http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/9163-type-seven-variant-stackings.html

Make what you will of that tritype theory, but the definitions of how it works are always lacking, like ScreamOfConsious's there. Instinctual variants seem to have some truth to them. That link of Aconite's seems to be pretty good about variants.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Also, all the Type 6 stuff about following rules to protect them against the unknown has no resonance with me. My instinct is to not be tied down to following rules.
CP 6s can be rebellious. Many of them don't like rules, or have issues obeying authority (and authority can have several meanings- an institution, a social group, an employer, just to name a few examples). I am pretty compliant, but if I have to defy authority (to protect my interests), then I will defy it. I'm not really "openly" defiant, but there's more than one way to rebel.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Wake

Ah. Careful. I'm a 6w7, and I'm actually pretty happy-go-lucky, optimistic, and extraverted. ^^ I'm a bit more hesitant than my fellow ENFPs, I think. It takes a lot to dampen my optimism. ;)

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Ah. Careful. I'm a 6w7, and I'm actually pretty happy-go-lucky, optimistic, and extraverted. ^^ I'm a bit more hesitant than my fellow ENFPs, I think. It takes a lot to dampen my optimism. ;)
True, the anxiety they seem to carry is particularly noticeable as 7s haven't shown to have this problem before. The OP's fears do seem to go in this direction too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, the anxiety they seem to carry is particularly noticeable as 7s haven't shown to have this problem before. The OP's fears do seem to go in this direction too.
I think you got it right the first time, Wake. Now that I've looked into it more, I definitely show more 7 than 6. I'm just a more responsible, loyal 7. ...Or maybe I just like to think I am! I'm not systemically responsible or loyal like my mom. For instance, lately, I've been very good about meeting my various obligations, but my self-control, when it comes to indulging in eating out and buying things that will make me happy, is zilch.

Timeless's description helped a lot. I saw myself in pretty much everything about 7s there. I especially found the Paths to Security part to be SO ME: "Type Seven - 'I will be secure if I can plan for the future.'" Also, this description of 7w6 is totally accurate for me: http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/8709-overview-seven-its-wings.html

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I'm thinking 7 w 6 or 6 w 7. I'm thinking that you have a 2 w 3 image fix.

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm thinking 7 w 6 or 6 w 7. I'm thinking that you have a 2 w 3 image fix.
The quiz thing I took gave me 4w5 as my secondary... I'm going to have to look into that. Both 4w5 and 2w3 sound a bit like me, but I'm not sure yet.

I believe I read that the 2,3,4 is all about your image and how you want to be seen, and if that is so, I definitely want to be seen as the Individualist over the Helper. Helping people is a big part of my life, don't get me wrong, but I don't get my jollies from people seeing me as such.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
@avantgardearmy
definitely heavy influence from 7 and 2, not sure which one is your core. so far you seem like a 7w6-2w?-9w1 So/Sx (So last 7s tend to be a little darker, more self centered and less overtly extroverted)

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
The quiz thing I took gave me 4w5 as my secondary... I'm going to have to look into that. Both 4w5 and 2w3 sound a bit like me, but I'm not sure yet.

I believe I read that the 2,3,4 is all about your image and how you want to be seen, and if that is so, I definitely want to be seen as the Individualist over the Helper. Helping people is a big part of my life, don't get me wrong, but I don't get my jollies from people seeing me as such.
7 w 6 and 2 w 3 can look a lot a like.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
7 w 6 and 2 w 3 can look a lot a like.
externally: yes
internally: noooooo
2 is the altruist of the enneagram; 7 is the hedonist. they are absolutely nothing alike once you get below the surface. the issue here is not that the 7w6 and 2w3 look alike, it's whether her 2 influence or her 7 influence is stronger. (I'm leaning 7)

PS: I've found a lot of people trying to decide between 7w6 and 2w3 are actually 6w7s (which can relate to 7w6 and also relate to 2w3 in all the ways that 7w6 can plus being a core superego type). I'm still leaning 7w6 for @avantgardearmy but I wouldn't count out 6w7 just yet

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
externally: yes
internally: noooooo
2 is the altruist of the enneagram; 7 is the hedonist. they are absolutely nothing alike once you get below the surface. the issue here is not that the 7w6 and 2w3 look alike, it's whether her 2 influence or her 7 influence is stronger. (I'm leaning 7)

PS: I've found a lot of people trying to decide between 7w6 and 2w3 are actually 6w7s (which can relate to 7w6 and also relate to 2w3 in all the ways that 7w6 can plus being a core superego type). I'm still leaning 7w6 for @avantgardearmy but I wouldn't count out 6w7 just yet
Well, I'm 6 w 7 that was confused for a long time, and thought that I was 7 w 6. I also have a 3 w 2 image fix, so we can probably relate.

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana
1 - 20 of 24 Posts