Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't feel like making this long and outlandish, so I'll just jump into it—the title is pretty self-explanatory and pretty much sums up the thread, I'm the child, my mother is the parent.

For the most part, I get along with my Mom, she's obnoxious, but at least she's charming, she's short-tempered but I do a good job of avoiding her outburst, at least the ones directed at me. She can be a little overbearing at time, and frankly fluctuates between wanting to be a parent and wanting to be pampered, but truthfully she's been "pampered" her whole life until recently.

... Most of this is really irrelevant.

In a nutshell, despite I've sort of mastered "walking on eggshells" and at least keeping her stable with an infant-like approach, I'm getting sort of annoyed with it. A lot of the things she does are on impulse, a lot of the things we've been through could've been avoided. Resenting her is pretty pointless, I'm over constantly being angry with my Mom, but...

I want advise, or at least a chance to hear about similar relationships like mine, ones between INTP's and ENFP's.

Ugh, what I'm trying to ask is this—have any of you dealt with INTP's? What was the relationship like? As an ENFP, what are some things I should do to keep the peace? What annoys you about INTP's?

And yeah, I'm aware that a mere typing indicator can't answer all my problems, but a new approach sounds good right about now—it's either this or cut off all ties with my Mother once I hit college. : | I feel obliged to at least have somewhat of a decent relationship.

... Sorry if this is confusing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My Dad is INTP, and I have a great relationship with him. Although, I must say that I think the relationship would entirely be different if I was the parent, so I don't know if I can give any good advice for you. There are very few things I can talk to my Dad about that involve my 'Fi'. All my Dad will ever wants to talk about includes interest rates, macroeconomic policy, market strategy, etc.... but I still talk to him almost every day. I know that it means a lot to him despite him not showing outward emotion or me not understanding about half of what he says. But relating with my father made me a way more well rounded person, and I got to see that we are more alike than I originally throught.

So for me to relate with my INTP dad, I incorporated my Dad's values into my own value system. I don't know how easy this would be for other ENFP's that are in a similar situation, or if the reverse could happen with the INTP child. I think each situation is unique on its own. I could only imagine the difficulties since for INTP's typically the Fi is not existent or it takes A LOT of penetrating to find it. But this worked for me, and I love him to death.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My mom is an ENFP. In a nutshell, she's worked her whole life to support me as a single mother, and would climb to the ends of the earth to keep me safe and happy. She's very protective however she rarely displays signs of affection, besides saying that she loves me. She can be extremely overbearing and invasive but I can also be very distant and edgy. We have completely different interests and wordly opinions so we disagree a lot when we discuss things intellectually. She sees what I talk about as too complicated and esoteric, I see what she talks about as too narrow-sighted and subjective. The only time we're truly engaged is when I open up emotionally about something that's been bothering me and she reciprocates. Although a lot of the time she will tell me to suck it up. Furthering the suppression of my Fe. My mom has made me the brilliant person I am today by telling me to keep an open mind about everything (Ne) and to try new things, however she's also part of the reason I am so unemotional. My open mind has also exceeded her understanding of the world so a lot of the time she doesn't hear me when I talk about "the truth". My mother is also explosively angry and she rarely apologizes for things. I love her to death for being there for me and sacrificing so much in raising me and I know she loves me back but I've learned that I cannot spend too much time with her at once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts