Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you phobic sixes and also ENFPs? It seems like a strange combo to me, but the description of: both types fit me perfectly. I guess this could explain why I always feel as if I am at odds with myself. A lot of ENFPs are 7s I know, and I"m quite sure 7 is my wing, which perhaps adds more to the inner conflict.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
While I am not a 6 or an ENFP I am curious to hear, what makes you think this. As I'm sure you are aware, there are many opportunities for people to mistype themselves. Even if that is not the case, perhaps you could shed some more light on this matter by explaining how you arrived at these conclusions and what makes them seem odd to you.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm very sure that I'm an ENFP because Ne is my strongest function (with Fi close behind) and the description of ENFP fits my very strongly. I have taken many tests (including function tests) and they've all come back saying I'm an ENFP (with the exception of the ocassional INFP, but I know I'm an extrovert because that's where I get my energy source. (I really do not do well be myself). I have my shy moments but I enjoy being around people, I start things but have an extremely difficult time finishing them, I enjoy being goofy and love having fun with friends and my mind works in non linear & random ways. I'm impulsive and fun loving but also deep and overly analytical to the point of driving myself crazy at times....which brings me to the six.

I am admittedly less sure of my Enneagram type. I'm newer to this theory and while I have been reading up on it and studying it, I was debating back & fourth between 4 and 6. What lead me to chose 6 is that my whole life, I've always worried about getting into trouble. I wanted to go out and have a good time and not worry, but worry was always in the back of my mind. I remember asking my parents, as a kid constantly "are you mad at me?" and if they were it would bring my world crashing down. I have the same problem wtih my husband and anyone else I'm concerned about. I pretty much have abandoment issues like crazy. I need reassurance and comfort, and unlike the type fours, I don't really "revel" in being misunderstood or "enjoy" my anxiety or sad moods like I have read some of them have a tendency to do.

Why are they odd? Well the happy go lucky nature of an ENFP seems to conflict with the insecure nature of a six who craves less impulsive more ideals and structure and security. ENFPs do have a lot of deapth to them and can be sensitive so I guess this could just be how my deapth personally manifests itself, it's just not a combination I heard of, so I was curious if anyone else shared it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well, I"m an INFP with Type 6 (I don't know what the phobic means ... a hyper-sensitive six?) And I"m 6w4 and than 6w7. Im not too sure about the order of the last two but i've always found 7 was somewhat of a front I put on to delude myself, 4 was a deeper, underlying emotions and underneath it all their was always the anxiety that the 6 describes...which makes sense, but I wonder if it's really six or if I was over-exaggerating on my test or something.
Idk /: I don't know if this helps, but I figured that since we only differed by I/E it might be of some help. After all, from what I've gathered we have alot of the same characteristics, and I've also found a 6 to be odd, considering I always found myself to be upbeat and silly. It seems like I swing between the two extremes; from a comtemplative and analytical person to a happy go lucky, fun loving one.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Well, I"m an INFP with Type 6 (I don't know what the phobic means ... a hyper-sensitive six?) And I"m 6w4 and than 6w7.
You can only be a 6w7 or a 6w5. But six is a head enneagram while four is a heart enenagram, so you can still have 4 in your tri-type.
As for phobic, I can tell you what counterphobic is from my understanding...Basically, counter-phobic sixes(that's what I am) work against their fears. I see them as challenges to overcome and consciously take myself out of my comfort zone. Funnily, my greatest fear is actually that my small fears will hold me back from experiencing life or being successful.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Not to complicate matters for the OP, but it is also conceivable that such traits could be characteristic of some kind of 2, as they are generally "people persons" who have need for approval, and some have intense fears of abandonment. In fact the abandonment issues seem to manifest in sexual variants of many different types, not just sixes or twos or fours. You obviously know yourself better than us, so I will simply point out that enneagram is exceedingly complex and that mistyping is frequent (particularly with ENFPs, no offense). My best recommendation would be to study enneagram and yourself further.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
Why are they odd? Well the happy go lucky nature of an ENFP seems to conflict with the insecure nature of a six who craves less impulsive more ideals and structure and security. ENFPs do have a lot of deapth to them and can be sensitive so I guess this could just be how my deapth personally manifests itself, it's just not a combination I heard of, so I was curious if anyone else shared it.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sixes, after all, are known for their contradictions. I imagine the w7 would drive you to more ENFP-like behavior at the right time, like when you feel more secure in your environment.

I'm an INFP phobic 6w7. A lot of traits from both do not match up completely. As a consequence, I sometimes act like a J or a T. That doesn't mean either typing is incorrect, it just means I have multiple dimensions to my personality and my behavior doesn't always match the stereotype. And a lot of the descriptions of types thrive on stereotypes! You can imagine how unsure I was when I read that 6w7 are "more extroverted" than 6w5. I don't doubt (too much) that they usually are, but at the same time, that doesn't mean an introverted 6w7 is impossible.

Just a few examples. If being an ENFP phobic 6w7 fits you, then it's fine.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to complicate matters for the OP, but it is also conceivable that such traits could be characteristic of some kind of 2, as they are generally "people persons" who have need for approval, and some have intense fears of abandonment. In fact the abandonment issues seem to manifest in sexual variants of many different types, not just sixes or twos or fours. You obviously know yourself better than us, so I will simply point out that enneagram is exceedingly complex and that mistyping is frequent (particularly with ENFPs, no offense). My best recommendation would be to study enneagram and yourself further.
Yeah, I can see how 2 would apply also, but upon reading the descriptions of it, it just doesn't "speak to me" like six does. I'm not selfish per se, but I don't really give until it hurts like how a 2 is portrayed :unsure:

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I would wager that you are hesitant to commit to things and instead try to put your eggs in as many baskets as humanly possible, attempting to be as proficient in as many things as possible, no? Jack of all trades, master of none?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would wager that you are hesitant to commit to things and instead try to put your eggs in as many baskets as humanly possible, attempting to be as proficient in as many things as possible, no? Jack of all trades, master of none?
My first inclination was to say no, that I am overly obsessive if anything, when I have something I am interested in, and tend to forget about all else...but then that phase doesn't (usually) last too long and then I'm on to something else...so yes, I think you are correct.:mellow:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are any of you phobic sixes and also ENFPs? It seems like a strange combo to me, but the description of: both types fit me perfectly. I guess this could explain why I always feel as if I am at odds with myself. A lot of ENFPs are 7s I know, and I"m quite sure 7 is my wing, which perhaps adds more to the inner conflict.

I am a ENFP 6w7. I am definitely the type that really wants people to like me. I also have a struggle with dependency and independency, but I am charming and fun. I struggle with anxiety - more so in recent years. I used to be a bit stronger of a 7 but have always looked for a "care taker" yet not wanted to have anyone tell me what to do. I am 32 and live with my mom partially because I'm scared I can't do it on my own. I have moved out - even lived in South Korea, but every place I go I look for someone that can be a "mentor" or "guide" in Korea I had a roommate that was about 6 years older than me and took on the role of an older brother. My "s.o" hates that I look for him for guidance because he looks to me for guidance. Our relationship can be co-dependent though when I"m not stressed and feeling confident I can take the lead.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I dont think its odd at all. I will agree that the 7w6 ENFP is probably more stereotypical, but I can't say that it is necessarily so different from the 6w7 ENFP. I think ENFPs enter "strange" territory when they aren't 7w6, 6w7s, with 9, or 2 fixes. I actually didnt think I was an ENFP because so many of the descriptions have a huge enneagram type 7 influence to them. I kind of think that if someone isn't a 7w6 or 6w7 ENFP then people are more likely to not type them as such because they are always exception some sort of "bubbliness" from the 7 wing.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Chipps said:
I dont think its odd at all. I will agree that the 7w6 ENFP is probably more stereotypical, but I can't say that it is necessarily so different from the 6w7 ENFP. I think ENFPs enter "strange" territory when they aren't 7w6, 6w7s, with 9, or 2 fixes. I actually didnt think I was an ENFP because so many of the descriptions have a huge enneagram type 7 influence to them. I kind of think that if someone isn't a 7w6 or 6w7 ENFP then people are more likely to not type them as such because they are always exception some sort of "bubbliness" from the 7 wing.
I couldn't see myself in ENFP descriptions at all either, because of how 7ish and bubbly they seemed. The 4w3 makes me relate instinctively to INFP more; I also have a stronger Fi than most ENFP's because of all the introspection. It was difficult for me to realize how much of an ENFP I was.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
ENFP descriptions are biased towards 7w6 Sx/So, leading to many 6-es don't relate to this type. Many descriptions just focus on Ne's tendency of 'fulfilling the future with amazing, beautiful, all great experiences' when the truth is that Ne can make you see the worst case scenarios, what can go wrong... Well, that said, it's clear that enneagram type 6 can use Ne to solve their problems: helping them to see and prepare for the worst (this is not necessarily a bad thing as other description smake it sound).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm an ENFP 6w7... and it definitely is a roller-coaster. I'm learning to not be so scared and to be okay with being by myself sometimes and finding my inner strength (I used to avoid my anxiety by distracting myself... if I was feeling counterphobic, then by new experiences and traveling; if I was phobic, then by the internet and TV... I would get very isolated). Eh, it's weird being a walking contradiction, but I also feel like that goes really well with what an ENFP is described to be.

All of this is a long way of saying: you're not alone. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
ENFP descriptions are biased towards 7w6 Sx/So, leading to many 6-es don't relate to this type. Many descriptions just focus on Ne's tendency of 'fulfilling the future with amazing, beautiful, all great experiences' when the truth is that Ne can make you see the worst case scenarios, what can go wrong... Well, that said, it's clear that enneagram type 6 can use Ne to solve their problems: helping them to see and prepare for the worst (this is not necessarily a bad thing as other description smake it sound).
How is that different from ISTJ "Catastrophizing"

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
How is that different from ISTJ "Catastrophizing"
In my experience, inferior Ne types tend to latch on to a dozen different negative potential outcomes; a Ne-dom 6 would select THE most likely outcome, sometimes with the full weight of rationality behind it. Whatever they fear is more feasible (since their intuition is much stronger) than an inferior Ne freak-out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts