Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from "The 16 personality types - Descriptions for selfdiscovery" by Linda Berens and Dario Nardi

Themes

For Discoverer Advocates, life is a process of inspiring and facilitating others to find and reach their full potential. They have a talent for seeing the core of someone, the unspoken essential goodness. They become the spokesperson for others, for what is needed most and for their higher purpose. They enjoy exploring perceptions and sharing deep emotional content, the "real stuff". This sharing is a magical moment when they truly connect. They constantly seek to have ideal relationships where they can have many ideal moments. To not have these empathetic moments is like being cut off from themselves.

Life is like a story. Stories provide ways to find meaning and to make a difference and provide the connecting thread that helps them know and understand others and through the situations.

Their thought process seem random; however, they are connective and relational. They are able to mediate differences and conflict by seeing the ways the differences connect. They often become the "voice" for the unspoken meanings they so easily pick up. They strive to keep communication channels open to make the best of a situation. They have a way of making things work without knowing why, which gives them the air of being magical as they respond courageously to their insights. The creative process is an important part of their lives.

In the interpersonal arena, they often instantly like people or not. Liking the people they are with is important. With their talent for seeing what's not being said, they often responds to others needs while putting their own needs and wants on hold. They like to spark something in others that others don't see themselves. They must be able to authentically live with themselves and seek to recognize happiness wherever it is.

They often feel a strong need to discover a definitive direction for themselves. They want the magical situtation to be permanent so are paradoxically on a continual quest for direction, resulting in a feeling of unrest.

Relationships

For Discoverer Advocates, relationships are about being on the same wavelength. People often get the sense they are understood perfectly by them. They are so perceptive in the moment that they read and mirror the other person's mood , the meaning of the other persons behavior, and when they're on, they're really right and everything feels in sync. The downside is they can make a lot of assumptions and projections that are sometimes really wrong. They can establish rapport instantly, can be charming and flirtatious in a way that uniquely connects with the other person. They frequently do whatever it takes to understand the deep meaning in what others do. Others may feel strangely connected with them, as if they have known them forever, and yet know nothing about them. They are uncanny at being the center of attention without being the topic of conversation. Getting at deep issues is important to them, and in the process, they are often catalysts for change. They want everyone to engage.

In their close relationships, they are romanticizing and idealistic. They want to share interests, ideas, and activities. Their ideal is a twin-like relationship. participating with each other, sharing the experience of it, where the relationship is real-time, live and in-person, with each other's beliefs the same. When that ideal connection is not there, they can become disillusioned and disappointed. They are often supportive of their partner's efforts to develop his or her potential and want to be supported and nurtured in return.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is me on so many levels.

Looking for the goodness in people: My mother always said, I can see good in people that even they don't know is there (although when she says it, it's more like an insult).

Lining thoughtd up in a way noone understands

Seeing stuff that isn't said ( it's to the point that unless you say something outright I ignore it, because I no longer know if I magine stuff)

Needing to feel sonnected to a significant other and do things together... My significant other really needs to be my other half... the truth is I don't really want to do stuff with other people... That's why my significant other is significant... When we have similar interests, I look like a super-grilfriend who's wonderfully supportive, but where we are incompatible, I tend to look clingy.

Thanks for the post. This is the most accurate description I've seen so far!:happy:

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
I like Nardi and Berens books a lot, they are more precise and dont use the "horoscope" sentances so many description can be full of.
Thanks slowriot, this is pretty interesting stuff. Wheres the rest? :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fits me exactly, my boyfriend gets on me for "reading between the lines" but it's habit for me to look deeper into body language, the words someone has used, the way they said something or when they said it. It's probably something us ENFP's should keep to ourselves but I think we over analyze people and sometimes we are right but we can also be wrong too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts