Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We never seem to bring it up...So I'll take this chance to bring up one of my big passions: watching sports! Hockey, football (the American kind, where you actually score points), and golf. Sometimes they're exciting, but it's really the interpersonal stuff...Watching the conflict, post-game interviews, the drama and emotion. I feel sports appeal to me on a different level than it does many of the (majority) SP/SJ personalities that watch them.

Since it appeals to me on a different level, I wonder if sports (viewing) appeals to anyone else here on a similar level or in another way. I know @Essay likes 'em at least!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haha, I was never really into sports. But I like Jeremy Lin!

I've attended a few of my school's football games, but the game itself doesn't make them exciting. More like the feeling of unity when everyone stands up in the bleachers screaming our player on -- that's the reason why I'm (at least vaguely) interested in sports! Sports can really bring people together. Although it isn't an integral part of my life it's still pretty fun. :D

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Don't know, if anyone of you is aware of this sport or not, but I LOVE watching cricket! I'm not such a good player, but I consider myself as a good runner. :p

Reactions: Paradox1987

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Watching the conflict, post-game interviews, the drama and emotion. I feel sports appeal to me on a different level than it does many of the (majority) SP/SJ personalities that watch them.
I'm a big NFL football fan and I like some other sports but not for the reasons you listed at all. I like it for the same reason I like military history: strategy, tactics, and matchups. I put myself in the shoes of the decision-makers (including players, coaches, and front office executives) and think about the choices I would make. It appeals to my strong desire for facing in the moment challenges like an officer with a battlefield command (ex. lieutenant or captain). This is the same reason I like things such as rock climbing, fast cars, and intense video games. I love being under the gun.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm a big fan of watching and playing hockey (the field variety) and I'm stoked that the Olympics are in town soon, bringing with them the glories of field hockey :). I'm also a huge football fan, soccer for the North Americans. And of course, cricket. This is a game I like to watch in the test variety whenever I can. Concentration, personal battles between bowler and batsman and the finesse involved in playing the perfect strokes or delivering the perfect ball fascinate and amaze me.

I only watch the sports I play because I understand the emotions of the players better.

Reactions: liza_200

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I really enjoy watching sports; (Football, Hockey and Soccer being my favorites)I do enjoy seeing little blurbs about the players that they show on TV during the games- However, I much more enjoy watching the interactions on the field and strategies.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nah, not generally. I usually just follow local teams just so I don't get teased, and I maybe go to between 1 and 3 games of anything a year. My parents made me try about every sport in middle school and the only ones I really enjoyed were track and field and softball.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Sports I like to watch: Gymnastics, Dance, Ice Skating
Sports I am scared of playing: Rugby, Soccer, Netball basically anything with a fast ball moving towards me, that will hurt if it hits, anything with a great risk of injury.
Sports I used to play: Netball, Basketball, Volleyball, Ballet, Tap, Gymnastics, Basketball, Miniball, Rollerskating (nothing at a serious level, mostly just did for a year or two as a kid)
Things I would like to take up: Waterskiing, Windsurfing, hiking + camping, rollerskating, kayaking, table tennis, miniature golf, squash, basketball, volleyball, ceroc, swing dancing, zumba, badminton, baseball, rounders
Things I would like to do in the immediate future to lose weight, and get fit: Walking, aqua jogging, cross trainer, aqua aerobics, Ceroc, Zumba, Pilates
Sports I don't like playing: rowing, hockey
Sports/fitness goals: Be fit for my age (not even at a normal level right now), do the couch to 5k challenge, walk a 5k, 10 k, half marathon, then run them all. Get to my goal weight and mantain it. Be toned all over. Learn how to spin on rollerskates. Get better balence. Be more flexible. Be able to talk about sports/weightloss etc and not have people that aren't familiar with me smirk (friends often ask me for weightloss advice because I've been successful in the past), have a BMI between 19-21. Lose about 45% of my weight, or at least look that much smaller. Be toned but not ''ripped''. Mantain an ideal weight right up until I die. Have a good workout routine while pregnant, and lose the weight within 18 months. Be fit enough for two Border Collies. Be an inspiration to others again. Learn how to cook. Be inspired.

I don't like competition. I like doing things for fun. I don't generally like watching sports, unless they are interesting, or involve glittery outfits.

Also, I hope one of these days, I can do all of these things, and people won't be put off by the fact that I was a former fat girl (assuming I ever accomplish any of this).

Hope that answered your questions!

Edit: sorry, as usual, did not read through the whole original post! Sorry Moby!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Huge huge huge HUGE University of Michigan fan... football, basketball, hockey... not a huge pro sports fan outside of the Red Wings. I have been known to blow off other happenings to watch a UofM game, and have traveled the 600+ miles to head back to Ann Arbor from down here in Bama many a time to watch the games in person.

Part of it is the identity part of it... being over half a thousand miles away from "home" its nice to have something that reminds you of it, especially when you are surrounded by people and places that are 100% foreign in comparison. Its also been a great way to meet new people that are also transplanted from back home, cant tell you how many friends I have made just by being in a sports bar cheering for my team and then having the whole "OMG you're a Wolverine fan too!?" moment from a stranger. :)

Reactions: chickydoda

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ah yeah, I wouldn't say I'm a huuge sports fan (compared to all my SP friends who know every player's stat from their birth year to now), but I enjoy following them quite a bit.

Soccer's probably my main fix these days; I'm a huge Arsenal/Netherlands supporter, and always keep an eye on the European and South American leagues. American football temds to catch my eye too, never failing to excite what with its shorter season and awesome media coverage. This time of year is reserved for NHL playoffs though. I'm from an ice hockey-obsessed city with the only remaining Canadian team in the playoffs, [rib]eh Moby?[/rib] As for the NBA, well, it used to delight me as a kid (since I actually played basketball), but its just doesn't have the same magic as it did in the mid/late 90's. Tennis, on the other hand, somehow compels me enough that I never miss a French Open. Oh, and I was always the MMA expert amongst my group of friends growing up, back when the UFC actually had some competition. These days, I'm finding its monopoly is weighing the sport down a bit, but it still makes for a great competition for the spectators.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't even know what is going on when my step-son plays football. I have accidentally cheered on the other team because I was just excited someone scored. lol!

Seriously, though, I am not sure why I haven't ever taken to sports but it is on my bucket list to at least learn to understand football. My funny neighbor told me I might find myself divorced a third time if i didn't start liking football. HAHAHA!

The only other sport that I understand is baseball but I don't follow it.

I tolerate when my hubby watches football by doing some really deep thinking. I am watching a football game but totally thinking about other things, like is there life after death and what I am going to make for supper.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Soccer is life:) My dad and I bond through soccer, and it's always kinda been our thing, it's very dear to my heart. We keep close tabs on the English Premier League (Liverpool all the way! Although they arent doing well this year, gaaah its killing me!) and on occasion the Olympic soccer. Also I also play soccer competitively 4 times a week, and this weekend we're playing in a big tournament woot woot!

There are some darn good reasons why I hate American Football, but I don't wanna go into it... not wanting to start any catfights!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
We never seem to bring it up...So I'll take this chance to bring up one of my big passions: watching sports! Hockey, football (the American kind, where you actually score points), and golf. Sometimes they're exciting, but it's really the interpersonal stuff...Watching the conflict, post-game interviews, the drama and emotion. I feel sports appeal to me on a different level than it does many of the (majority) SP/SJ personalities that watch them.

Since it appeals to me on a different level, I wonder if sports (viewing) appeals to anyone else here on a similar level or in another way. I know @Essay likes 'em at least!
OHHHHHHH real football kicks american football's ass EVERYTIME. the sheer variation in what can occur during a football game, the sheer variation in player attributes, formations, tactics, personalities, player styles. the personalities of clubs and traditions (the draft is a daft way of operating a sport, it takes away all the intrigue of youth programmes and prospective talents coming through the system), and the fact that whilst there are fewer scores in an average football game (not by as much as people say) a goal can happen at any minute through a never ending variety of circumstances so you're on the edge of your seat the whole game, wheras in american football that is not so often the case (it's like a different version of rugby, which is the by far 2nd sport in europe :p).

PARTICULARLY if you are into the interpersonals, there are far more angles to it in football than in american football.

you could probably sum up an american footballer in any particular position in 15 attributes? you would need about 100 to make up a football player, and every football player is very distinctive, and every action on the pitch is distinctive, and every football club is very distinctive, and every goal has something unique about it, there are a million clearly distinctive ways to score a goal and maybe 40-50 ways to score a touchdown- and that is why football is boss.

welcome all replies.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
welcome all replies.
I agree with you on all your pro's for association football (especially tactical variation and watching systems unfold), and, I'm not going to lie, it is my favourite spectator sport.

That said, there's a certain psychological aspect of gridiron football that can't be topped: It just plays out so well from a hype, high-tension standpoint what with those moments of dramatic stillness that precede every snap and urgency to fight for every second and every yard. I mean, similar breathless tension comes before threatening place kicks in soccer, but they usually come down to an individual effort, which makes them less chaotic and exciting. For example, there's almost no penalty situation where you expect the kicker to miss or the keeper to save, no matter how mismatched their skills are. It's great when it happens, but there's less tension. In third-and-goal situations in gridiron, there's so many more things that can go right and wrong, and so much potential for hype before the snap. You get dramatic stare-downs before 50-50 match-ups, and the anticipation can be killer. I'd say the acceleration into those big moments is pretty sublime in itself, and sure gets my Ne going.

Still, like I said, I prefer soccer in theory. Even if it lacks gridiron's tensest of dramatic pauses, the beautiful game can be a pure emotional rollercoaster, providing a more sustained euphoria of possibilities and unexpected changes when it's in motion. I mean, a turnover is a turnover in gridiron and might mean a lot, but in soccer, it's an immediate threat of counterattack as your top goal scorer is only ever a few touches removed.

Reactions: Tridentus

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
welcome all replies.
I'll reply in a paraphrased commentator's ending to oh too many (European) football games.

"Oh and there we have it ladies and gentlemen. Another splendid game in the Premiership. The score, nil-nil. What a beautiful game! All the way through injury time and the match is complete. Yellow cards aside for diving: 12 each. Once again, the score to this most spectacular of games: Tottingham: nil, Liverpool: nil. Hope you enjoyed the ravishing offensive display of scoring acumen this afternoon. Chelsey remains in the lead 4 games into the season with two goals scored..."

Yeah that was ridicule to the max. But it's an exaggeration of my huge issue with Soccer when I played for 8 years and when I failed in my attempts to watch it on TV: offense is so, so rare. The ball going out of bounds and diving? Not so much. I'm really not a soccer hater, bless anyone who watches it. But I can't! So I turn back to my beloved American Football.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Yeah that was ridicule to the max. But it's an exaggeration of my huge issue with Soccer when I played for 8 years and when I failed in my attempts to watch it on TV: offense is so, so rare. The ball going out of bounds and diving? Not so much. I'm really not a soccer hater, bless anyone who watches it. But I can't! So I turn back to my beloved American Football.
Depends on who you watch and in what situation- you can watch liverpool carve teams open minute by minute with 28 shots at goal and magically not score any goals (ffs), or you can watch barca ship 6 everyweek against minnows especially with messi doing things you can't even do on a video game, or a tense tight affair between bayern and real madrid in the second half where it's a bit like a unification title bout and it's all such high quality attack and defense cancelling each other out- but it's still exciting because you know they are playing for the balance of power in europe and each blow and counterblow is of the best possible quality. i agree that it can be immensely boring when you try to watch two teams with boring styles where you don't care about the result but i'm sure american football can be the same- plus there are so many more teams in football in so many different situations it adds intrigue and a completely different football experience depending on which side you support- there are teams which come from league 2 (where the teams are practically local) to the premier league to play teams in the champions league!

still the whole football vs american football thing makes me laugh because i know that it's just really about where you happen to live in the world, and the key to appreciating a sport is to know it in depth (which takes time and effort to learn)- although football is still better haha.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Soccer is life:) My dad and I bond through soccer, and it's always kinda been our thing, it's very dear to my heart. We keep close tabs on the English Premier League (Liverpool all the way! Although they arent doing well this year, gaaah its killing me!) and on occasion the Olympic soccer. Also I also play soccer competitively 4 times a week, and this weekend we're playing in a big tournament woot woot!

There are some darn good reasons why I hate American Football, but I don't wanna go into it... not wanting to start any catfights!
i support liverpool too- kenny will get it right! the way i see it half the shots hitting the post this season go in and we're at least 15pts higher and in a CL place.. we've battered teams all year, just need a goalscorer..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts