Personality Cafe banner

1121 - 1140 of 1160 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
None of these fit me at all??? Am I really an ENFP? I see that I am not posting correctly either. I wanted to refer back to an earlier post? How do I do this so I don't mess up the flow of the thread? Sorry, newbie-stranger here trying to find her way.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
None of these fit me at all??? Am I really an ENFP? I see that I am not posting correctly either. I wanted to refer back to an earlier post? How do I do this so I don't mess up the flow of the thread? Sorry, newbie-stranger here trying to find her way.
If none of this applies, that's completely fine-a-rooney! I think this thread is kind of one of those ironic yeah people tend to call us these things but they don't necessarily apply. So maybeeee you're not ENFP (I can't say!) but it's not necessarily because you don't relate to the stereotype manifestations. What it mainly does come down to is the cognitive functions and the ENFP stack, read read read those until you turn into a blueberry and by then you'll at least be a lot closer to knowing. My point is don't jump the gun either way because your doubt can be very ENFP!

and don't you worry your noggin we've all been there, if you wanna refer to someone/something previous, you can summon them genie style using the @ function, so e.g @water_girl orrrrrrr you can use the 'reply with quote' function at the lower right of someone's post. Few more fancy french man tricks you can use but those are the main two amigos :)

If you need to know anything else, help or otherwise, feel free to summon me genie style :p I won't even be mad.

·
Registered
715 Posts
"ENFPs are disorganized and messy. They also bump into walls all the time."

Disorganized? Sometimes. Messy? Sure. Bumping into walls? Absolutely.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There's the stereotype that we are crazy like ESFPs and are bouncing off the walls. Um, no. People think I'm introverted because I appear a bit cold at times.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
There's the stereotype that we are crazy like ESFPs and are bouncing off the walls. Um, no. People think I'm introverted because I appear a bit cold at times.
I wondered with this, like INTJs are sometimes known as the 'jack of all trades' when it comes to coming across as other types, could we be the extraverted equivalent of that? Maybe it's a lot of factors but I can come across as a bunch of things quite easily.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I wondered with this, like INTJs are sometimes known as the 'jack of all trades' when it comes to coming across as other types, could we be the extraverted equivalent of that? Maybe it's a lot of factors but I can come across as a bunch of things quite easily.

I think so. I think we look like INFJs, ENFJs and INFPs. We are like chameleons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out of that list, I only mesh with the ADD stereotype XP
I'm not a cheater or a player- I have a very strict sense of loyalty, especially in relationships. I am a bit of a flirt though, so there's that.
I've heard we ENFP's are stubborn which, honestly, I can be. I've heard we're also long-winded.

·
Banned
471 Posts
- I forget something when someone just mentioned it, like: don't touch the stairs i just painted it (my mom) and then she doesnt trust me when I say: I won't forget XD (And I act like I forgot which is even funnier lol, cause in my teens I did forget everything lol)
- "ENFPs don't finish anything". I actually hate being too late and like to plan things ahead (but I don't to commit to it/things already..)
- Messy: I hate having a messy rooms and prefer cleanliness, has nothing to do with your type
- Always happy/flirty: I am actually pretty serious and love philosophical conversations (as in deep and not birds & the bees)
- I am actually pretty shy/quiet because I observe people and see how they really are (instead of their mask). I cannot really stand being around people too much since I get tired when people 'pretend' or are not their true self.. Which makes things so much easier..
I just needed to say this somehow, I guess I held it in too long

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm amused to admit I've thought all this about the ENFPs I've known (the list in the OP) and adding in some nuances, I can see why others may have too. That's the nature of stereotypes, they arise from some misunderstanding and misconstruing of the subjective perception.

I'd butt heads with my ex ENFP because she would take offence to the fact 95% of the subjects she bought up in conversations were things I'd already read about, experienced or could grasp easily as much as she would enjoy it. Maybe that is nullifying to Ne-Fi, enneagrams with type 4, I would think so.

There is some truth to your assertion, Ne does acquire a lot of knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
4. Always "happy" (ugh how I suck at that one)
This is so true on my part. I mean, I can be quite happy more often than not, but when I feel down and my other friends see it, they assume I'm not being myself, thereby hating it (Especially my ESFJ friend during my three week long low which happened last year).

Newsflash: I can feel sad and low too. Its a part of me.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Another one would be that I move from friend to friend very fast, as in I don't pay attention or value the friends I have by being distracted by other people all the time. SO. NOT. TRUE. On the contrary I find myself to be more clingy with all the friends I have. I have even stopped making friends cause I tend to stick to the ones I already have IRL. Plus I value and look forward to long term friendships....

(Suddenly I'm wondering if this is even a stereotype to begin with, but I solidly remember coming across this a lot)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Phooie! I agree with all, and I'm going to try to dispel all the evil nasties that arise whenever we get stereotyped.
1.) Manipulators
Um...this is true. We do it because we love you, though.
In all seriousness, however, I think this can be one of our greatest weaknesses. Way to start this off!
2.) Suffers From Attention Deficit Disorder
Not true at all! We simply have a constant need for novelty, a new challenge, if you will. We're just so darn fantastic we blow through challenges so fast we're constantly looking for new ones.
3.) Players
This is sooooo not me I don't even know where to begin. Again, this is a bit of an issue with stereotyping in general. Even though we share a personality type we have distinctive traits of our own. You would do well to remember that. Even though I kind of agree female/attractive ENFPs can be like this.
4.) Obnoxious
Also kind of true. More mature ENFPs, however, never have this problem.
5.) Constant Mood Swings
Haha! We "feel" deeply and are more emotive than many, if not all, other personality types. It is my personal opinion that all other personality types go through these constant mood swings, however, we are the ones to show it.
6.) Narcissistic
You aren't a true ENFP if you behave in a narcissistic manner. Many people think they are kind and bubbly and fun and identify as an ENFP when in real life everyone identifies them as a big-time a-hole.
7.) Can't take criticisms
This isn't a stereotype, this is a fundamental aspect of our personalities at the most basic level. As we mature we learn how to take criticism more effectively but those of us that are still toddlers on the inside break down whenever someone doesn't compliment their hair.
8.) Can't stand being disliked or hated
This is like the above--it can be a fundamental aspect of our personalities. However, the wording of this is bad. We can stand being disliked/hated by a few people--just not everyone.
9.) Cheaters
This results from ENFPs with contradictory or nonexistent values at all giving the rest of us a bad name. If we truly love someone, we devote our entire selves to the relationship and cheating...well, it's just not cool.
10.) Attention whore
Totally true for some of us! Again, however, it's the minority. ENFP is often described as "the life of the party" and I really don't like that. I love social interaction but I hate the spotlight with a passion. I feel like (not to be sexist here but simply stating the truth) ENFP females tend to exhibit more of a desire for affection and attention than males.
11.) Irrational
I would add this one because so many other types, such as NTs, view ENFPs and most other feeling types as completely incapable of conducting a rational discussion. Far from it, as my INTJ SO will tell you. We can be very rational, unemotional and even cold, especially when we view others as ignorant or unintelligent.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I relate to all of these except the cheater one. I'm actually really loyal in relationships. I don't like to commit unless I KNOW that what I feel towards a person is genuine, but when I commit, I COMMIT.

Other stereotypes I've heard are:

Forgetful, flaky, find everything funny, can't follow rules.

1121 - 1140 of 1160 Posts