Personality Cafe banner

1141 - 1159 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
You mostly said most of the stereotypes but here's a few I've personally encountered in both IRL and online:

1. That we're stupid ( Apparently people think being serious=smart. This is the stereotype that kind of gets under my skin because your personality type doesn't determine how smart you are as a person, that's really closed minded and ignorant. Also I have an IQ close to Einstein's, so whoever says ENFP's are stupid can leave )

2. We can't handle criticism ( I can handle criticism, as long as it's constructive. If it's not constructive or adds anything meaningful to my life in anyway I just ignore it )

3. We're players/always flirtatious ( I literally do not even get this one, is everyone's ego so huge they assume I'm always flirting with them? Pfft, they wish. I mostly only get this with girls though )

4. Attention whore ( Okay this isn't even a stereotype, not for me at least. Where is the lie? All jokes aside though, this is another one I don't get either )

5. Too dreamy/unrealistic ( For some ENFP's and just feeling types in general this might be true but assuming all of us are too distracted from reality to see things clearly is also very ignorant, we're imaginative and yes we're dreamers but we obviously see reality, thanks. And I usually always know the reality of any given situation, whether it be relationships or having a debate with someone. When I get into debates with people I use 100% logic and base everything on facts, the rest is my passion and how I personally feel about it. )

6. Clumsy/Naive ( I'm not a clumsy person at all, more or less naive. )

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently met an ENFP firefighter. He was a college student studying mechanical engineering. It never occurred to me in a million years to imagine an ENFP as a firefighter. He told me that on his first fire, he took a really long time to go in, because his equipment wasn't on properly, and the other firefighter who went in got really mad at him because he wasn't in there. I know this guy was an ENFP because I was talking to him and getting to know him over several weeks and had some pretty long conversations with him. He was really into helping others at his own expense, and he was reading the bible and said Christianity saved his life when he was suicidal and couldn't forgive himself for things that had happened in the past, so I think becoming a firefighter was part of that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You mostly said most of the stereotypes but here's a few I've personally encountered in both IRL and online:

1. That we're stupid ( Apparently people think being serious=smart. This is the stereotype that kind of gets under my skin because your personality type doesn't determine how smart you are as a person, that's really closed minded and ignorant. Also I have an IQ close to Einstein's, so whoever says ENFP's are stupid can leave )

2. We can't handle criticism ( I can handle criticism, as long as it's constructive. If it's not constructive or adds anything meaningful to my life in anyway I just ignore it )

5. Too dreamy/unrealistic ( For some ENFP's and just feeling types in general this might be true but assuming all of us are too distracted from reality to see things clearly is also very ignorant, we're imaginative and yes we're dreamers but we obviously see reality, thanks. And I usually always know the reality of any given situation, whether it be relationships or having a debate with someone. When I get into debates with people I use 100% logic and base everything on facts, the rest is my passion and how I personally feel about it. )

6. Clumsy/Naive ( I'm not a clumsy person at all, more or less naive. )

Aaaagh, yes! ENFPs are always pegged with these, and people mention them in offhanded ways like it's some central part of ENFP personalities. I feel like some of these are actually the opposite for me, like, I oftentimes ask people to criticize me because I want to know their honest opinions and hate the idea of them having a judgement that they aren't sharing. Also, why do people think you have to be a pessimistic asshole to be a genius? Can someone tell me? And as to the "lack of realism", I'm actually one of the most realistic thinkers of my friends.
It may be due to the way I was raised, though. My parents never held back their (constructive) criticism and are very realistic, practical thinkers. Perhaps an ENFP less accustomed to this would struggle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That we're outgoing and friendly with everybody. That stereotype had me believing I was INFP for a while. I'm very outgoing with like 3 people, my girlfriend and two buddies that I've known for years. I am reserved around most everybody else.

Reactions: mehua and angelcat

·
Registered
9 Posts
6 8 & 10 for me. But it tends to improve with time, and the time spent with my utterly rational thinking may have improved that. Like "She does this ---> me : A+B = you can't do this ! It is a conflict with your deeper values ! ----> She stops to do this"

And she can't see shit, she needs glasses badly ; in a way, I'm sure that it's connected. She can't see what's far away from her, so it may have reinforced her ability to see what's in front of her, and because it's tiring to watch other people, it's easier to see what is in herself. With glasses, it may open her a little bit to the external world in a less egocentric way. But maybe that's just me, we'll see.

·
Banned
17,616 Posts
I've noticed a lot of ENFPs have a big nose like I. I also see ENFP's who look like I. I wonder if I'm imagining all this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh my gosh, Mick Travis! I have a big nose too!

My ENTP sister has a really weird idea of what ENFPs are supposed to be like, so she regards her Fe-user friend to be an ENFP and thinks that I am an Fe user. She thinks that ENFPs are quieter than they are....not really a stereotype, more of a weird misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That we like hugs...? Honestly, I don't like them all that much. Upon first meeting someone, I most likely won't leap on them and declare my undying, unexplainable love for them. I'll awkwardly high-five them and ask them whether or not they think Tarzan shaved with rocks, seeing as there are no razors in the jungle.
Even with close friends, I won't cuddle the living daylights out of them. I link arms with them, sure, and drape my legs across their lap when I want attention, but... I dunno. The affectionate ditz just isn't me.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Stereotypes ... well, I suppose I can add to the lists then ...

Things i've been ''accused'' off include:

1. (purposely) Making weird conversation
2. Restless
3. Pragmatic (must be Te)
4. Stubborn when told something is not possible
5. Vivid imagination
6. Crazy (irresponsible) ideas
7. Not able to clearly emphasise my sarcasm
8. Indecisive
9. Dropping direction/decisions quickly
10. Unconventional approach/methods to solving problems
11. Too upfront / explicit with my thoughts
12. Attention-whory
13. Self-absorbed
14. Scatterbrained
15. Openminded
16. Bold
17. Too chatty or too quiet (either or)
18. Staring too much or weirdly
19. Helpful / thoughtful
20. Very patient
21. Very calm or very tense (either or)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That we like hugs...? Honestly, I don't like them all that much. Upon first meeting someone, I most likely won't leap on them and declare my undying, unexplainable love for them. I'll awkwardly high-five them and ask them whether or not they think Tarzan shaved with rocks, seeing as there are no razors in the jungle.
Even with close friends, I won't cuddle the living daylights out of them. I link arms with them, sure, and drape my legs across their lap when I want attention, but... I dunno. The affectionate ditz just isn't me.
I'm the same with hugs. Hugs are more automatic for me simply because other people like them and habitually solicit them so I get in the habit, but hugs are something I would probably naturally reserve for close family or friends only. I'm more of a brofist person, honestly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suppose I was often perceived as the type of guy who gives off positive vibe to others and who is never sad or gloomy or even angry. I know one time this girl just came, actually my colleague, to me and said: "I'm sure you have never been depressed in your life." And it kind of struck me as a thunder, in that moment I asked myself: "Do you seriously look like nothing bothers you?". However it could be due to the fact that I always have this non-stop smile on my face when I'm talking to someone. I like socializing with other people, even small talk as much as much as I find it to be annoying, in a way just talking to someone charges my extroverted filter. I met this mythical creature 2 years ago who could read me like an open book, which has almost never happened in my life, therefore she would always know something was up with me even though I tried to hide it and not let my emotions get the worse in me because If we let our emotions run freely we can become this unstoppable evil force. Also, I wanted to ask what are your thoughts on giving or receiving hugs from people? And do you find it difficult to connect with other people on spiritual, emotional and physical level, especially in today's society? I think I wrote way too much.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Tell me what ENFP stereotypes you have heard of. This is in no way an attack on ENFP's. This thread just gives awareness to the stereotypes of the ENFP personality.

Here is my list of ENFP stereotypes..

1.) Manipulators
2.) Suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder
3.) Players
4.) Obnoxious
5.) Constant Mood Swings
6.) Narcissistic
7.) Can't take criticisms
8.) Can't stand being disliked or hated
9.) Cheaters
10.) Attention whore
Basically hit the nail on the head 😬