Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have probably been a ton of topics similar to this one(considering the ENFP rep) but I really need to tips on how to get some motivation to study...the problem with me is that I have this tendancy to be ALL or NOTHING and so I know that if i'm tired and can't do all my readings, I ust won't do it. I'm not proud of myself :/ When I am inspired I can get sooo much done in one whim. What insipres you guys??? So need to know that other ENFPs have made it past Undergrad :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Studying at the library always did it for me.

Just me and my books, no laptop or cell.

That way there is no distraction.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I know there have probably been a ton of topics similar to this one(considering the ENFP rep) but I really need to tips on how to get some motivation to study...the problem with me is that I have this tendancy to be ALL or NOTHING and so I know that if i'm tired and can't do all my readings, I ust won't do it. I'm not proud of myself :/ When I am inspired I can get sooo much done in one whim. What insipres you guys??? So need to know that other ENFPs have made it past Undergrad :)
Ah, I totally know where you're coming from here. Let's see what I did to break out of that slump.... One thing that used to get me going is that I'd have these classes where I'd be one of the only people answering the prof's questions, so I HAD to keep up with the readings or else the class would get awkward. :laughing: Study pairings/groups did good for my motivation too; I could never let myself fall behind if it was the basis for my relationship with someone.

Yeah, I could never study when tired either, so what did I do? I'd set my alarm for a good night's sleep and go to bed with the idea of doing the readings first thing in the morning. Then, you guessed it, I'd get up and study as much as I could before my conscious kicked in to tell me to go shower, shave or grab lunch. I found once you get your day started like that, the rest of the day will be so much more productive.

Otherwise, just make sure you're finding ways of making what you're studying interesting. Find ways to connect it to things you're interested in. Every silly, random connection will serve as a memory aid. If you're not laughing at your homework, you're not doing it right! :crazy:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Studying at the library always did it for me.

Just me and my books, no laptop or cell.

That way there is no distraction.
Yes this does help when i'm already on a roll..but sometimes i find myself falling behind..i think it's this perfectionist thing that I do..I know that if i'm not doing 100% subconsciously i won't try at all because if I do try and don't do well then I get really angry at myself :blushed: hehe..sad but true..you like that?

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I totally know where you're coming from here. Let's see what I did to break out of that slump.... One thing that used to get me going is that I'd have these classes where I'd be one of the only people answering the prof's questions, so I HAD to keep up with the readings or else the class would get awkward. :laughing: Study pairings/groups did good for my motivation too; I could never let myself fall behind if it was the basis for my relationship with someone.

Yeah, I could never study when tired either, so what did I do? I'd set my alarm for a good night's sleep and go to bed with the idea of doing the readings first thing in the morning. Then, you guessed it, I'd get up and study as much as I could before my conscious kicked in to tell me to go shower, shave or grab lunch. I found once you get your day started like that, the rest of the day will be so much more productive.

Otherwise, just make sure you're finding ways of making what you're studying interesting. Find ways to connect it to things you're interested in. Every silly, random connection will serve as a memory aid. If you're not laughing at your homework, you're not doing it right! :crazy:
Thanks heaps for taking the time to write this :) Yes! study groups would be awesome except most of the classes contain slackers....The idea of doing the readings first thing in the morning sounds great! Once I get a jug of coffee in my system ofcourse :) I will definitely start doing that from now on..I really just need to get out of the mind set that if i'm a little behind I might as well give up(I hate that!) That is a great memory trick too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sometimes having a slacker for a study partner is nice. As long as they show up and you're not like collaborating on a project or something, its always nice to have someone worse than you, at least for me it makes me think, wow I'm SOOO not gonna be like that guy. Middle of saturday I'll be like dude, I bet that chump wouldn't study right now! But I would, that's what makes me different and unique. Plus you totally get to feel all silent superior around him which is never dull.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes having a slacker for a study partner is nice. As long as they show up and you're not like collaborating on a project or something, its always nice to have someone worse than you, at least for me it makes me think, wow I'm SOOO not gonna be like that guy. Middle of saturday I'll be like dude, I bet that chump wouldn't study right now! But I would, that's what makes me different and unique. Plus you totally get to feel all silent superior around him which is never dull.
hehe ye, I really do love that superior feeling :D

Is it bad though that I just know that I will never be a A++ student unless it's a course that i love and am passionate about..it's the wrong attitude and it's probably worse that i've accepted it..I mean, I don't fail those courses or anything, but I can't force myself to try any harder than necessary, you know?

Reactions: hideandseek

·
Registered
95 Posts
I accepted the inevitable truth that, well, I'm smarter than pretty much anyone else, it just doesn't show up in my grades. Doesn't have a thing to do with the fact I'm a super genius. It's practically the code I live by.

Lol no seriously, the thing about us intuitives, especially us intuitive feelers, and especially especially us intuitive feely perceivers, we know much more than we actually know. So you're actually smarter than you give yourself (and the school gives you) credit for. One of the best coping methods we ENFPs have to deal with our *ehem ABYSMAL study habits is our ability to hyper-focus on something for long periods of time. Hopefully you find this trait inherent in yourself and if you do it should be a matter of pride to you that this is like your secret superpower that you can apply to anything! That's the way I do college, all at once!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
that's it man. it's all about perspective- try and see it as a really awesome challenge and just focus intensely.

if that doesn't work set yourself a target for the day, and just meet that target, what i used to do was count how many days i have to study something and say "ok ill do this many pages everyday" and push myself to meet that target because otherwise i'd have more to do the following day. sometimes i'd even push myself further just to have less to do the next day.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm in the same boat, this first terms over and I've done almost no study at all
I'm WAAYYY behind, but something you may want to try out is installing 'Leechblock' on your webbrowser. You can block Youtube, Facebook etc for a period of time so you don't get sidetracked on it :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ye I really need to pull my socks up. My mind just wants to stare at the page while thinking about everything else. I would love nothing more than to creap inside and find out why there is so much noise !:blushed:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like me to the core, at this very moment I should be studying!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same! But instead I stare :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok..So do you guys think that I am just being lazy and getting used to the intensity of college..OR could I have ADD?...because I know that mid way during conversations with people I have this habit of tuning out :blushed:
I know it could go either way and no one here can really diagnose..but has anyone gone through the same thing and it just turned out to be a personality thing?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
i'm pretty sure i have ADD. i think it's an mbti "thing" where it's common for ENFPs to have ADD.
however what they diagnose as ADD is a joke i reckon, i mean doctors these days diagnose someone with "poor concentration" as ADD- hardly a disorder.

trust me, do yourself a favour and don't look for that excuse. although don't get me wrong i sympathise with you because it used to be a thing i boasted about where i didn't do any work all year, then brought it all home right before the exams, then as soon as it got hard and i actually had to work for results i found it difficult.

i'll tell you the same thing someone once said to me which gave me a huge shift in the way i thought about this stuff- "let me ask you something.. are you a man or a mouse? sort your fucking head out".. trust me excuses get you nowhere, just deal with reality as it stands before you.

what i also do as well as setting targets is work at a certain time during the day, like around 11am-3pm my mind is 100x clearer so if i need to cram ill always try and do it then.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I personally think it's laziness. At least, that's how it is for me. I swear my brain doesn't work until like the day before a project is due, and sometimes I'm scrambling to get it in a day or two late. It always gets done, but very rarely well ahead of the due date.

I find working with a group helps, because instead of letting yourself down, you let down others if you get things late.

I'm quite intelligent, so even with getting things late, I tend to get A-'s on average. If I got my stuff in on time, I'd probably be 4.0 (currently 3.5).

I do find being around others helps too. Noise helps me focus, because the sound of silence (lol) scares me slightly. I know that probably doesn't work for everybody, but I kind of like chaos going on around me!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you guys have problems with getting assignments in on time?
I'm pretty sure this year especially, every single assignment I've handed in has been late. The one I'm 'working' on at the moment is already 8 days overdue!

How do you get yourselves motivated?

Reactions: hideandseek
1 - 17 of 17 Posts