Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm new to this forum and I have some issues that I was wondering if any other ENFPs struggle with. I have a habit of starting on a lot of projects at one time...and I can't work on one thing for too long or I get extremely restless and bored. Is this anyone else's struggle? Have you all found any solutions to this? Like, I can't predict my inspirations...but when they come I am so full of life and creativity, I produce wonderful work. But, when my inspiration runs dry or I become bored, I never really know what to do.

Thank you so much and looking forward to hearing from you all,
Etheropia.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It's normal for ENFP. :p

At work, I can be given a lot of tasks. It's fun learning at the beginning, but my interest goes away if it becomes boring OR difficult.

I find taking breaks, working on a different project and then returning to it helps. But since it's a work environment, I know I have to put work in because I'm getting paid for it and being evaluated for my productivity, so that's my motivation to push through. Technically, I could finish a task in say 4 hours, but knowing that it will take that long makes me want to take breaks and then it ends up being a 6 hour task LOL. I know if I put my heart into something, I can do it very quickly and thoroughly.

For my personal projects, I can get bursts of inspiration, but when the inspiration fades away, I tend to move on to something else. It can be hard to pick up the task again. Of course, when it's a task for others, I tend to be more proactive at seeing it through. Possibly the ENFP inclination to help others.

The feeling that there is a definitive goal, need and urgency for the task to be done helps me to see tasks through. I won't do it as quickly as other types or I might switch between different projects, but it will still get done. :)

If all else fails, I like making things into a game -- with finishing the project as a final goal. Awarding myself with treats for finishing the task helps too. :3 I finished a huge project for work early, so I rewarded myself with a funnel cake. HEHE. <3

Oh, and when my coworkers slap the "Can you do this ASAP?" question for me (especially when it comes from my boss), I like take the challenge and run because I see it as bonus points for my work performance. Aim to impress always! ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
^This!

It's totally normal, OP. There are probably more threads about that topic than any other topic in the enfp forum. ;)

You can try skipping around tasks that are kind of boring. If you have to read a long chapter, you can read the different sections of it out of order. Any little trick to allow your thirst for novelty to propel you forward. Try to take frequent breaks to do new things. I take study break to cook new dishes that I invent out of my head, to glue stones on an art project I'm working with, to have conversations with friends I haven't talked to in forever. Do whatever you can to incorporate "newness" into your daily routine! That will help you to stay productive. :)

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I think ENFP have a craving for novelty, and unless they are really invested in a project, they can move on and not look back. Sometimes i start things only to do a half ass job, so it really isn't worth it. Funny, i can be in a room full of people and be so zoned out from becoming bored. I'm never bored when i'm alone thou, i do all sorts of crazy stuff to keep me entertained. Everything can seem boring to me , from the clothes i wear to the people i hang out with. You're normal, ENFP aren't boring by all means, just seems that everything around us can feel that way at times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your answers. I'm so glad that you all share the same struggles. I hate it and love it at the same time. Like, I'll go on different binges (reading binges, art/painting/drawing binges, writing binges..exercising...etc..) I can't really control my inspirations and it can be frustrating. This is why I just can't have one job for the rest of my life! I have to explore!! :) and be freeeee!!!!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
'Normal' doesn't mean it's good. If being bored easily means you never see anything to completion, doesn't matter how 'normal' it is, it just means that you're as lacking as everyone else who is like that. If, however, you know what you're passionate about and do work in that area just fine, then you can blow your time on as many abandon projects as you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts