Personality Cafe banner

ENFP or ESFP?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've been testing ESFP and ENFP. I've taken the test so many times that I know exactly what to answer for each type, so it doesn't help much anymore with the confusion. I find myself constantly watching my thoughts & actions, trying to determine which I would fall under more neatly. Sometimes I'm totally convinced that I'm an ENFP (usually when I'm feeling awesome), and other times I'm totally hopeless and I realize i'm such an ESFP. (Can you tell which I'd rather "be"? :tongue:).

Here's my crack at the questions that have been posted. Thanks to whoever came up with these! :)

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I fit into both of the total descriptions of ENFP and ESFP well... it just depends on when you catch me. I can't decide if I'm a sensor or not.

re: ENFP
- Thinking abstractly doesn't come naturally to me, although I do catch myself coming up with metaphors and looking for meaning in most things.
- ENFPs are known to be eccentric and inventive, and I don't think I am. Inventive perhaps at some point/not really... and also not really eccentric.
- I hate hate HATE conflict, and I can be smothering in my love/affection for others.
- I haven't really thought about whether I believe world peace is possible.
- I'm interested in philosophy and I love intellectual discussions :)
- I'm a very happy-go-lucky person and I'm easily excited. I walk around smiling, and I make conversation with, like, everyone :D
- I go through burts of crazy every so often. Usually only in front of people I know well. don't want to scare the newbies ;)
re: ESFP
- this type is described as seeking 'fun' all the time and in everything. I guess that used to be me at some point, but I think I've reached a point where I'm looking for things that are meaningful and real, not just 'fun'
- i also have the tendency to look only at the immediate consequences of my actions or decisions i'm making. I don't look too far into the future... which I guess is an 'N' thing. I'm definitely in the 'here & now'. impulsive & seek immediate gratification usually. I also tend to look at the past very much... trying to relive old feelings :/
- i love to touch things, I take in information by feeling it. I'm also very affectionate with the people I love.
- I do love to have fun, and with me there's never a dull moment. I have lots and lots of friends.
-Sometimes i don't feel like being around people, I just want to be alone with my own thoughts.

someone mentioned to me in one of the threads that perhaps I'm a developing ENFP because I don't completely fit yet? I am, afterall, only 20. Don't know if that makes a difference. It seems like it's something you either have or you don't.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Love. I want to find and surround myself with people I love and care for very much (and obv vice versa), and I'm sure that no matter what happens with everything else, I would be happy. It doesn't take much for me, really. But the right kinds of human connection are of the utmost importance for me. Giving other people love, care, affection and also receiving it - that's what's the most important to me in my life right now. And having fun with everything that I do certainly wouldn't hurt :p
A close second would be a career that I allows me to contribute to the world in a meaningful way. I've always thought of myself as different - and I know that if I work up to my potential I can make a positive difference in the world. And I'm excited to!
Third would be experiences - beautiful, amazing, mind-blowing ones :)

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Finest... hmm. I think of "finest" in terms of my own standards for myself, not having to do with other people's evaluations of me. In that sense, I've been at my "finest" in the middle of a philosophical conversation with someone 15 years older than me. It was great because I felt like I was on the same level as he - I didn't feel intellectually inferior although he may have studied philosophy more than I have. In the end, he couldn't believe I was 20 and told me I was very mature. I really enjoyed that conversation. And I typically get on well with people older than me, just thought I'd throw that out there. All my friends are within 2-5 years older.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
feeling intellectually incompetent and unable to contribute to a conversation on the same level as the other/s, or when someone points out that i'm that i'm basing my decisions on feelings instead of logic.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I tend to think about people and how I feel about the decision. Usually I'll make the decision in my mind based on how I feel about it, and then act based on how I think it will affect others.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I like the process of working and bouncing ideas off of other people - that dreaming mode. If it's a project i'm excited about, i'll work hard to implement the details of it. Otherwise, i just come up with ideas. I guess I need to learn to follow through even when I'm less excited. Not sure what you mean by control of the outcome. Yes, i'd like to be involved in the process?

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I have lots of fun at parties and when i'm surrounded by lots of people... most recently we had a ladies night at my apartment and I absolutely loved hosting all the girls, watching them enjoy themselves and going a little crazy with them (although the post-party clean up was significantly less enjoyable :p). I'm can definitely be a party animal :tongue:

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I like to touch things... When i shop, I have to touch everything I'm even remotely interested in. I like feeling different textures, walls, literally i'll touch anything and everything - like a little kid :). When I'm learning for school though, I guess I just like making connections to things I already know and find interesting. that usually helps me learn/understand things better.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
haha, this one is difficult to answer. about 50% of the time, i try really hard (like, perfectionist hard) to stay really neat. the other 50% of the time, i've given up on being neat because everything is just always turns into such a horrible, unfixable mess when i'm not on neatfreak duty. Then I realize that I really must clean up and I go back to being super neat again. These messy/neatfreak tendencies come and go...weekly, i'd say :p

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I'm not sure, to be honest. maybe both?

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Definitely the first one. I like to make sure everyone in the group feels included and knows what they're doing. I've worked in several organizations where I've inadvertently become 'leadership development coordinator' because I like to check in with everyone and make sure they're doing well.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Most of the time, I need to speak to think. Discussing new ideas helps me focus my thoughts; I need to get them out and then I can analyze them more clearly. I prefer group discussions because it's amazing to me how differently others can view and analyze the same thing. In a group setting I'm constantly amazed by the ideas people come up with and how different they are.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I jump head first into whatever action needs to be taken. Typically I believe words because actions can be interpreted in many different ways. Unless of course, they're clearly inconsistent. But in dealing with INTJs for example, I learned that the way I perceive their actions is not necessarily the way they mean them. And to listen carefully because they will say what they mean and mean what they say. I know this doesn't extend to everyone, but I'd rather take people based on what they say than what I interpret their actions to mean. woah, i just rambled a lot more than was necessary :blushed:

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Record the show and go get dressed :)

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I can be very tense and horrible. I give up and the world turns black. I try to get back in control of whatever is stressing me out, and it makes me unpleasant to deal with. typically all I need is a little pep talk and I'll be back to normal :tongue:

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I love all kinds of people and I usually find ways to connect with them regardless of the things I dislike about their personalities - after all, i'm sure there are things about me that others dislike. I'm very tolerant of all kinds of people (or at least I like to think I am? :unsure:). I do not like individuals with no intellectual curiosity though - it feels like I can only get so far in my relationship with them, and it feels... superficial. I dislike people who are self-centered and not generous. I'm very "others-centered" and what's mine is yours, I don't calculate at ALL (this is also why i'm terrible with money :tongue:), so I dislike when I feel like i'm giving myself and giving everything I have, and the other person is being stingy. :bored:

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I can talk about anything, literally. But I prefer to talk about meaningful things.. I can only last so long on things I find superficial and meaningless.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

hmm... whether things make logical sense or not?

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I'm sure they'd never call me boring, unintelligent, superficial.... but I don't think my friends really know me all that well. There are parts of me I'm unwilling to share, mostly because I don't feel like other people would care enough or be interested to know. I tend to surprise them when I say brilliant things they weren't expecting. That's always fun :tongue:. but as far as how they perceive me... I've been called a "social butterfly", and as cliche as it sounds, I think it describes me quite well. I mingle and connect with everyone, but in the end I have my core group of friends that I will always come back to. They think I'm hard working and dedicated (although I'm not so sure on the hard-working part, unless I'm excited about my "work")

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'd love to just sit and talk to the people I find intellectually stimulating. Then I'd likely be inspired to write all the thoughts and possibilities and ideas floating around in my head. Then I'd go have a solo dance party with my cat, figure skate on the linoleum, etc. I'd probably stay up the whole night, too. I tend to do that a lot :rolleyes:. I might go to the beach, people-watch at a coffee shop, lay in bed and daydream. Sometimes i can be an introvert :p

oh my. I'm aware I've written a small novel here...but any help would be appreciated :)

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Most of the time, I need to speak to think. Discussing new ideas helps me focus my thoughts; I need to get them out and then I can analyze them more clearly. I prefer group discussions because it's amazing to me how differently others can view and analyze the same thing. In a group setting I'm constantly amazed by the ideas people come up with and how different they are.
I have the same "problem" as ISFP, a lot of ideas doesn't have words with them until I write or speak. This and your seemingly assertive answers makes me think ESFP out of the two. ENFPs main function Extrovert iNtuition is just that, intuition, and already "know" if an idea works or not, they just have problems making up their minds about which one they like the most. It makes sense that an Extroverted Sensing-type instead wants to test an idea in the concrete world to see if it holds the test or breaks down. I'm going through that process myself to experiment with ideas outside of the head and see them torn down by others, a process that I never find tiresome to watch as it feels reassuring to know that there's always more.

"Sensors doesn't think" is just nonsensical prejudice by Kerisey. :rolleyes:

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Maybe ISFP or ESFP. Definitely not ENFP. You could probably make a good case for ESTP too, but I think you have too many issues surrounding your Thinking to be an ESTP. You routinely downplay your thinking or talk about other people's superior intellect or your lack of intellect or whatever. This generally points toward a Feeling type (though not always could just be that you were raised around people who made you feel this way) and because you seem very people focused, it makes me think potentially that you are an outgoing ISFP. But ESFP is certainly a possibility too, there is a definite lack of Intuition there either way. I also don't get much of a sense of Ne anxiety but since you seem to be a Sensation type I'd look into ISFJ too (even though that's probably not the case for you).

I'd ask @fourtines, who I think is an ISFP or @Kayness maybe they can help.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I tend to think about people and how I feel about the decision. Usually I'll make the decision in my mind based on how I feel about it, and then act based on how I think it will affect others.
^^That there is Fi definitely not Fe.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I like to touch things... When i shop, I have to touch everything I'm even remotely interested in. I like feeling different textures, walls, literally i'll touch anything and everything - like a little kid :). When I'm learning for school though, I guess I just like making connections to things I already know and find interesting. that usually helps me learn/understand things better.
I see a lot more Se here than Ne ... just the difference in tone when you're talking about sensation as opposed to intuition. It's like "yay! I love to touch things!" ... as opposed to "yah, I can make connections as well" to me indicates Se over Ne.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'd love to just sit and talk to the people I find intellectually stimulating. Then I'd likely be inspired to write all the thoughts and possibilities and ideas floating around in my head. Then I'd go have a solo dance party with my cat, figure skate on the linoleum, etc. I'd probably stay up the whole night, too. I tend to do that a lot . I might go to the beach, people-watch at a coffee shop, lay in bed and daydream. Sometimes i can be an introvert :p
Here again, I definitely see the same thing happening. The tone in which you speak about your "in the moment" experiences indicates that Se is your dominant function. I'm an ENFJ with a Tertiary Se --- and just thinking about having the kind of energy you're talking about is draining :p

I'm thinking ESFP over ISFP ... and not ENFP.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
At 20 you aren't "developing." I don't know where people get this crazy shit, personally. You're "developing" when you're 13 or 14. You're pretty firmly who you are as person sometime in your late teens. Yes, typing children can be inaccurate, but you're an adult. Besides, as an Ne dom, Ne would have been your first function to develop.

Looking at my childhood I realized mine was probably Fi or Se, and I seemed quite Fi as a small child, very "sensitive" and all that. So your dom function is going to be pretty apparent.

What would be "developing" at 20 would be more like the tertiary or inferior, which may be why sometimes for example the difference between an ESTP or ISTP might not ALWAYS be fully apparent at 18 or 20 (depending on how balanced Ti and Se are) but definitely more clear by 25.

I agree ISFP makes sense for you because you seem to both feel inferior around and ignore logic. I did too as a younger person, and I think one of the reasons I got confused about having more Te is because I'm in my early 30's ...but me, at 17 or 21...no, not an incredibly logical person, in fact it was pretty easy for a strong T type to make me cry by pointing out how I was being so emotional or illogical or something along those lines. It also makes sense because when I'm mad, it's like spike of inferior Te, like acting more controlling than normal. I also realized I was confusing Se and Te. Some things I was attributing to my supposed Te was actually Se.

I relate to a lot of what you're saying. I also touch things when I shop, for example. And smell things. I also touch and smell things when I'm walking outdoors.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Agreed with pretty much everything that has already been said-- you strike me as much more Se than Ne. I would say ESFP.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Most of the things you think are ENFP attributes are actually just Fi. So many people seem to think only NFs have Fi, and that it doesn't exist in sensors. Go to any xSFP description and you won't find much on Fi, instead you'll find it talks about how we take information in through five senses and that we're concrete blah blah...

Pretty much everything you talked about looked like Se to me. There's nothing at all bad about being an ESFP rather than an ENFP, you just need to prove wrong all the ignorant stereotypes!

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
From your post I see a lot of Pe, thinking up of possibilities/abstractions isn't necessarily "N" and liking to touch others/sensory experience isn't necessarily "S" (@The King Of Dreams is an ENFP and he's really into hugging people so..yeah)...Also hating conflict isn't necessarily an ENFP thing (you put it under the 'case for ENFP' headline).

I think the deciding factor that made me think you might be a Se over a Ne is this:
Typically I believe words because actions can be interpreted in many different ways...I know this doesn't extend to everyone, but I'd rather take people based on what they say than what I interpret their actions to mean.
in my personal experience, it's vice versa for ENFPs.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ballerina -- The qualities you say you like about ENFPs are also qualities of ESFPs. Don't let the stereotypes fool you. ESFPs are actually very similar to ENFPs. The main difference is definitely Se versus Ne. I see more Se in your post. This link is pretty good, take a look:

ESFP - ENFP

Also this thread brought up some good points as well: http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/95707-sensing-verus-intuition-my-theory.html

ESFPs can be into psychology, be good at reading people, etc. I hate it how ESFPs are portrayed as ENFPs but without the depth. It is not true at all.

^ I do this too, actually, and I'm definitely ENFP. :) So, I don't think that's necessarily type related all the time. I think it could relate to Se, though.

I also might mention to keep an eye on ESFJ. I thought I saw some Fe there. But I don't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts