Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I hope my answers aren't too rambling! I got these scores for my type test:

E: 89
iN: 50
F: 38
P: 56

I've done the test a bunch of times and always get the same overall result of ENFP, with some variation in the scores. The middle two shift more than the E and P.

If anyone's familiar with the Personality Plus tests I get Sanguine-Choleric, with very high sanguine scores and very low phlegmatic scores.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

When I read the explanations of how different types think in different scenarios I tend to relate most to the Artisans. The fun-seeking aspect of them, as described by Keirsey, is an extremely accurate descriptive of me in a lot of ways, especially in romantic relationships. In friendships I tend to swing between fun-loving and wanting to help others. I've also always been a natural leader and entrepreneur and can be very decisive, practical and stubborn, like the Rational types. I've also been really critical and pessimistic at times. However, the basic overview of the Idealists is very much me.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Connection with others. Love. Being recognized for achieving something worthwhile that helps others.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

It was mostly just a really clear, self-assured confidence. It wasn't my circumstances as much as it was my mastery of the situation in a pubic setting.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Being out of control. Letting others down. Not living up to my potential (especially in public). Not having a purpose. Being sick.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Is it fun? Is it the right thing to do?

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Fun. Pleasing others. Getting it right. Yes, I definitely like to be in control.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Winning competition sport, playing one-on-one, knowing I was very good at what I did and doing it effortlessly in front of everyone. Also, acting on stage in a theatre group. Pretty much everything about that was fun--except for a wild urge to laugh during the serious bits! And speaking in front of people during a paid public-speaking appearance. It was my first time in this professional field and an anonymous survey of the audience found that I was considered the best public speaker they had ever seen. I knew my stuff and made them laugh. I felt accepted and liked.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I pick up new things very quickly. I learn best by doing it and experimenting as I go. I tend to think almost obsessively about new hobbies and tasks until I have them very well mastered. Then I get bored.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Ha! If there is a state of complete lack of organization, I'm it. As a business-owner I've learned to plan ahead, but it was not natural.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

How I accept new ideas tends to depend on how I feel. If I feel happy and energetic I'll accept things far more easily than if I'm depressed or tired. I normally judge ideas by whether or not they feel right. Then, if they do, I explore them in more detail. But the details are a necessary step to doing. Obsessing over details for the sake of details is a waste of time. I'm not interested in learning anything that has no practical purpose. School was hell.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Yes. All of the above. I don't care about categorizing people, though I love to know what makes them tick.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Both. Both. I do put an enormous amount of thought into my conversations, sometimes. Other times I just go with the flow. It depends on the context. As a kid I went with the flow, but as I grew up I learned to think more. If I have the energy (I have insomnia) I prefer groups to one-on-one. I've performed on stage, been on TV and radio and done loads of public speaking.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I tend to hesitate before committing, but if I like the sound of the action, I'll do it without procrastination. Action definitely speaks louder than words. But words are good, too.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Go out. I don't even watch TV. It's a waste of time; I could be doing something.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

Depends on how stressed and what I'm stressed about. I go through phases where I try to escape, seek assurance, and tackle it head-on. My moods go from frustration to anger to depression. I hate it when I'm not able to resolve something readily. I get more upset about things I can't easily influence, like computer problems. People are far easier to deal with than machines.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

When they are negative, unappreciative, killjoys, controlling, arrogant, assume they know me and my motives, judgemental, hypocritical, selfish and unempathic.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Yeah: me. :) I am trying to focus on others more in conversation, though. I've actually gotten very good at it and people now enjoy conversations with me. I have always been someone who people feel like opening up with. I've had people waiting in line at the bank practically cry on my shoulder. And the line wasn't even that long. Christianity is a biggy, too. I really love to talk about it, but I like for it to come up naturally in conversation.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

Tidiness and order. I have a strong sense of right and wrong, but I'll step over piles of clothes without even seeing them. (According to my wife, that's wrong).

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I'm hard for them to work out. I'm an insomniac extrovert, which means that I'm not as extroverted as I want to be. I'm a kind of quiet extrovert. Sort of like an introvert who likes attention. I think they see me as a caring person and a perfectionist who is good at whatever he turns his mind to. I am a perfectionist, but I hate being one. It's a burden and I am only like that in some areas, when it involves insecurity. They see me as being intelligent. Even my mother-in-law says I'm the most intelligent person she's ever met. Others say this, too. I dislike stupidity, but I don't place an especially high value on intelligence. I prefer empathy. I do love to learn, though. I always feel like there is more I should know.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Something fun in the sun! Shopping. Traveling. Meeting new people. Talking about things I care about. Helping people. Sex.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Are you saying only Artisans can be fun loving? :p
Personally, I believe that every action can be traced back to being able to have more fun.

Think about it this way, an ESFP is an artisan, the only difference between an ENFP and an ESFP, is that an ENFP is dominated by extraverted intuition, whereas ESFP is dominated by extroverted sensing. Both are supported by Introverted Feeling. So an ESFP will be more attuned to their current environment, while an ENFP will have a much richer imagination, random, fun ideas, coming up out of nowehre, which could then be acted upon.

I also have an ENFP friend, and you sound a lot like him. Also if you're so fun loving, you're probably a 7 dominant on the enneagram.

Reactions: Redwood

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insights! :)

I actually did the enneagram test last night after posting this thread and I got: 2w3, 7w8, 8w7. And I went through the "You might be a ______ if . . . " threads as well. I totally related to the P and F threads. And I know I'm definitely E. But when it comes to S or iN, I'm not so sure. I have traits of both. It seems to depend on the day and the circumstances. I can also be really blunt and decisive. I've always been great at talking anyone into anything, but I've had to learn over many long years how to be diplomatic when I don't feel like it.

Maybe it's just that no test result truly fits everyone completely.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I actually don't think you're an ENFP. Primarily because you don't seem to have any Introverted Feeling or Extraverted Thinking. I get a lot of Fe with you actually (and probably some Ti). Also you don't strike me as a dominant intuitive. There was really no repression of Sensation or anything going.

If I had to guess I'd say you were either an ESFJ or maybe an ENFJ (or something of that flavor), where intuition wasn't your strongest preference but very high. But I think with you, since your post is so Feeling oriented (and also really downplays thinking in characteristic ways) that Feeling is probably your leading preference (if you were ESFJ the Ne would probably explain why you identify with some ENFP descriptions).

Check out this article on Inferior Thinking in ExFJs and see if it resonates with you.

http://personalitycafe.com/esfj-articles/76787-recognizing-inferior-function-esfjs.html

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
At first I thought maybe ESFP because of all the huge emphasis on doing, but then there is a strong F>T current that seems more like an ExFJ. I'm not really picking up ENFP from any of it, anyway....

·
Registered
825 Posts
I can relate to a lot of what you said, but I don't feel like it's a spot on connection.

Do you think in your head a lot? I feel like I'm constantly stuck in a world of possibilities. I have to make a conscious effort to focus on the here and now. Otherwise, my mind will wander and tangent like crazy -- "What yummy food shall I have for lunch!" "I wonder how families can talk at restaurants while their kids are watching movies on their iPads.." "Will this degree really help me advance in my career?"

It's like my mind is so enamored by possibilities, by what's going on around me, and what will happen for the next steps. It's amusing, but frustrating that I can't be content with what's going on at the present time. I get bored easily, too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much, guys! Interesting that you aren't getting the ENFP vibe. Hmm. I obviously wondered myself, hence the thread, so I'm glad that we might be hitting on something more accurate.

LiquidLight, I'll read that link tomorrow, because I'm pretty tired right now.

Ahiko, do I think in my head a lot? Of course! What other body part would I think in? ;) Seriously, though, my mind doesn't so much wander as . . . well, the way I've described my thoughts to people is like fireworks. It's like--boom!--there's another one! And--bang!--there's one over there! My thinking is anything but linear. It's explosions in the night sky.

Like I said, I'll check that link out tomorrow and hopefully learn some more. :) But meanwhile, I had some more thoughts about my personality in childhood that might be helpful.

As a very young child I was smart, but not studious. I just was very intuitive, in the literal sense of the word. For instance, when my father's friends came round to play poker with him when I was about ten years old, they'd talk to me about adult topics like politics. And I seemed to see the underlying reasons for things. They'd always remark to my dad, "This kid is so smart! How does he know this stuff?" I never researched any of it and never even watched TV news, because it was scary to me. I just seemed to know the right answers.

I was the class clown throughout school (up until I was bullied). There's a comic strip from Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin says that he caused such a ruckus in his classroom that it took several teachers to calm the class. Something like that actually happened to me in grade 7. I moved to a new school and the teacher introduced me to the class, but the kids already knew me and literally erupted into cheering until the teacher took me outside. I wasn't a bad kid. I just had a low threshold for boredom and I was quick-witted and mischievous. When I was five or six years old I turned on the sprinkling system for the school fields during lunch break. I soaked about 1500 kids and 30 teachers. I have tons of memories like that. At a summer camp I got up before everyone else and, using the fire hose, sprayed the girls as they came out of their cabin. I was always in trouble. I was also very good at getting out of it. But I never did anything that actually hurt anyone.

I was very sociable. I was also extremely competitive and had to do well. Winning was important, but more for the fact that I needed to perform at my best. I was actually fine losing when the odds were very much against me, so long as I played well. I pushed myself through all kinds of injuries, so long as I won.

I sucked at math at school and hated it until my parents made me study it. Then I scored very highly. After that I liked it, because it was easy for me and I did well. I also liked the logic of it. I always liked knowing how things worked at a basic level. I was always taking things apart, though I never got them back together. I found English literature classes very natural, yet held them in contempt. But I could write well and scored highly in that subject, too. I loved writing short stories, but when I had to do assignments I procrastinated and then stayed up late and wrote it all at once. Science was my bane, because it required memorization, rather than understanding the underlying causes. I still hate memorization. So boring. Sport was my favourite subject when I was young and drama class when I was in my senior years. Drama class felt like going to a friend's party!

Among my friends I was the one who came up with the ideas for what to do on the weekends and then called everyone to make it happen. I was also pretty wild in my last two years of high school. I did some really out there stuff that I don't know if I want to talk about! Let's just say that under my photo on my high school year book it said, "Totally insane". I was always searching for answers to the deeper meaning of life and the frustration I felt drove me to pretty extreme behaviours. If I didn't become a Christian in my late teens I'd be dead for sure. That brought me peace, stability, and responsibility. But I still like fun, being active, and socializing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I just read that article on Inferior Function. Wow, wow, wow! It was depressing to relate to it so strongly, but, man, it was absolutely spot-on. I don't think I've read anything anywhere to do with this personality stuff that I related to so clearly.

I went and read the descriptions for ENFJs and ESFJs and I relate most to the ENFJ description and the overview of Idealists. The Guardian overview is very much not me. I have always rebelled against authority, I'm not traditional by nature, I am terrible with following rules, and a very common question from my life has been, "Can't you take anything seriously?!" More than anything else, one word that would have described me as a kid would have been 'playful'. My sister nicknamed me 'Tigger', because of my playful enthusiasm.

One thing from the ENFJ description that doesn't seem to fit is: "Teachers like things settled and organized, and will schedule their work hours and social engagements well ahead of time -- and they are absolutely trustworthy in honoring these commitments."

I'm terribly disorganized and I'm never on time for anything, no matter how motivated I am. I do like to have a full calendar, though. And I consider my word my bond and will endeavor to go above and beyond for people. It distresses me greatly when I can't fulfill a commitment. So I suppose I like things worked out and I'm great at big-picture organization. I just suck at being scheduled, detailed and following routines.

Interestingly, one of my earliest jobs in life was as a guitar teacher for kids. It has remained the most enjoyable and rewarding of all my jobs. I only changed to make more money and be able to support a family. In my current job I have been so successful that I influenced my industry worldwide and had people everywhere asking me how I did what I did. And you know what? I've never really enjoyed it or really felt fulfilled. In fact, I'm so bogged down in details and working alone that I feel as upset as when I was bullied at school.

Hmm.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Many of those ENFJ descriptions are not very good honestly. Try reading the ones over at Personality Nation (that are actually function based).

Either way you definitely have more of a Ni-Ti thing going on, not a Ne-Te thing (as an ENFP would have). Also you seem to have a pretty sustained Se preference as well (which I think is why @ElectricSparkle may have thought ESFP). For a second I thought ESxP too, but your Intuition is much too strong for you to be a Se-dom.

Again Thinking is definitely not your preference. You continually downplay your thinking, over and over again in your posts (I suck at maths, I hate learning X, and so forth). This is all generally characteristic of a Feeling type - someone who'd rather evaluate and maybe intuitively do things, but not actually sit down and do the hardcore conceptualizations.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again Thinking is definitely not your preference. You continually downplay your thinking, over and over again in your posts (I suck at maths, I hate learning X, and so forth). This is all generally characteristic of a Feeling type - someone who'd rather evaluate and maybe intuitively do things, but not actually sit down and do the hardcore conceptualizations.
I think (ha!) you might be right. I've always been good at thinking, but it doesn't really make me happy. I used to think I enjoyed deep thought, but now I suspect that it was more a means to an end, where the end was looked towards with positive feelings. That is, I'd learn things because I wanted to use the knowledge to improve my life. My favourite kind of thinking is when ideas come to me in a flash or I suddenly get insight into a situation. I'm not a fan of puzzles. I was good at chess and so forth, but only because I worked at it and I was only interested because friends played it.

I read the explanations over at the other place and they were quite a but more in-depth, for sure, but I'm actually more confused now. Lol! I related to bits of several of them. Believe it or not, I think I related most to ENTJ as my natural and original personality from childhood. It's hard to say. I've changed.

Is there any reason why you doubt being ENFP? It seems to fit well with your description of yourself here.
Yeah, it fits me like a glove in many ways, but something doesn't feel right about it. I can't exactly put my finger on what that is, but when I read other personality types I sometimes get these moments of very strongly relating.

Without going into details, I've been through some traumatic events in my life that played havoc with my personality and I rarely feel like I am being myself. Every so often I get a flash of "being me" and it's like breaking free of rush hour traffic and getting a taste of freedom for a few blocks. But most of the time I am unhappy with who I am. Part of that has to do with the insomnia, as I mentioned. That masks my natural fun-loving tendencies. But I had stuff going on in my childhood that messed me up. I'll give one very brief example. My father suspected my mother of cheating on me and so he thought I was not his. As a result he actively went out of his way to make my miserable. I was a naturally happy kid and loved my dad, but he basically punished me for being happy until I left home. That kinda thing alters who you on a deep level.

I think many of my strongest personality traits have been learned over the years as a result of dealing with life. For instance, when I was bullied at school it actually helped me to develop more empathy, because I became hyper-aware of other people, noticing the smallest details of their words and body language, in case something could warn me of a change in their attitude towards me. Stuff like that shaped me and these days I use it to help people by picking up on how they feel at a glance. I'm not sure whether I should just get on with being the me I am now, or compile a list of characteristics I'd like to have and just act them out, or trust God to change me. The last option is most definitely viable, and I'm praying for this to develop through God's will, but I really do like to figure things out myself and know how they work--and have control. I've already changed enormously in several positive ways--some instantly at conversion--but I think this is an important step for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interestingly, Personality Nation's INFP description is exactly how I am these days. I think that if anyone outside of my immediate family was to pick one type for me, that would be it, unanimously. My family would not chose that, though. Hmm.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Interestingly, Personality Nation's INFP description is exactly how I am these days. I think that if anyone outside of my immediate family was to pick one type for me, that would be it, unanimously. My family would not chose that, though. Hmm.
Most people are open with their closest friends and their family so you may appear more extraverted to them then you really are. And there is always the problem that some introverts will be very extraverted in certain situations, when they feel they are in control. It seems like attitude is more flexible than the functions, especially the S/N divide.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Oh my, I feel like I'm reading my life story but with different scenarios. O_O I'm definitely with you in feeling like an ENTJ when I was younger.

I have seen people who were split between certain personality types. After reading about INFPs, I can also identify with that when I feel introverted and when I was younger, but I feel like I more identify with ENFPs when I am fine and healthy. It was some strange attraction to the type that made me feel like I fit in with it. :p I could probably just be a really extroverted INFP, who knows. But if it really comes down to it, the search for your type will definitely help you learn about yourself and other types. If you feel like you identify specifically with one, that intuition just might be enough to point you in the right personality type. :]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I've read more. I read The Ten Stages of a Depressed ENFP, part of the Socionics of ENFPs, the Inferior Function of ENFPs, and most of ENFP Childhoods (I keep flipping back and forth to new articles before I've finished the first article), and loads of threads from other personality type perspectives to see if I can relate to them, and I am more and more convinced that I am, if any of them, an ENFP. There are just too many things that relate.

I will keep reading, because even though I hate the idea of categorization, I love the thought that I could strengthening my natural qualities by relating to the way other people feel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, I did that test linked to in the other "Enfp?" thread and got these results:

Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 9.48.15 AM.jpg

It's interesting how close Ne and Ni and Fe and Fi were. Hmm. I'm still not sure what all that means! Lol! It's been years since I read the book. I'll have to relearn all the jargon.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
By the way, I did that test linked to in the other "Enfp?" thread and got these results:

View attachment 35243

It's interesting how close Ne and Ni and Fe and Fi were. Hmm. I'm still not sure what all that means! Lol! It's been years since I read the book. I'll have to relearn all the jargon.
Browsing those results I've found a lot of Ni close to Ne, Ti close to Te etc. It's not surprising since all the empirical evidence for the MBTI is from the original test, which only measure the preference for I/E, S/N, T/F, and J/P. Wouldn't be surprised if this is why there are no documented tests on cognitive functions - the results would disprove the theory.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Yeah you are most likely ENFP. This sounds so Fi to me....
How I accept new ideas tends to depend on how I feel. If I feel happy and energetic I'll accept things far more easily than if I'm depressed or tired. I normally judge ideas by whether or not they feel right. Then, if they do, I explore them in more detail. But the details are a necessary step to doing. Obsessing over details for the sake of details is a waste of time. I'm not interested in learning anything that has no practical purpose. School was hell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts