Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I ENFP?

Been posting a bit in the past few weeks, there are times where I can really relate to people with my tested type and sometimes not at all. Just wanted to get some opinions perhaps?

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

While I'm curious about the lives of other people, i'm more of an observer, I don't want to help people (though I will if it came down to it) I prioritize tasks over people's emotions. I am a bit of an opportunist, my outlook on life is that it's a hustle.. I find that when I'm creating my art work, it's not coming from somewhere emotional, it's more clever and off beat. Ilike to make things with new technologies but enjoy working with my hands with traditional stuff. When people tell me their problems, I offer practical solutions and I can't understand why a person would just want to vent but stay in the situation and do nothing new. My silly switch is crazy but weird/meaner than it is cuddly.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want to be able to explore the world and then synthesize what I've seen, touched, experience into something I made with my own hands. I guess it's just what I am compelled to do, I suppose it could also be how I deal with my mortality and how small I am in the scheme of things!

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I felt great when I was being productive, making money with my work (fulfilling my obligation to my partner) as well as learning and improving my skills. I had harmonious relationships so that I could work in peace. There was variety and I didn't have to deal with interpersonal stuff unless it was task related, nothing better than leaving an office situation!

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Not having the right information or enough information. I feel it's necessary for any situation and puts me on a even playing field or even better at an advantage.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I think about my goals and how well it is in sync with those goals. I think about my partner who is directly impacted by my decisions and no one else beyond that really.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I can get caught up in the idea stage and it's a push to get through the end. I like to have complete control but I've found collaboration to be an annoying but useful thing (the end product is sometimes better!)

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

My partner and I spent two days at Disneyland, just riding things over and over and indulging in treats we usually deny ourselves (my partner is a health nut). I felt like I had no problems in the world.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Hands on. I like being shown physically while doing it for myself.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Under pressure organized, usually unorganized but trying.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

If it's something I read in the paper I usually want to know who the source is, what kind of research was done, who did it.. I don't like when people sensationalize things so I am intially skeptic of any information that comes my way. If it's a group brainstorm, I'll see if I like it, any ideas similar to it and their outcomes, the risk/rewards of using it.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Being myself, though I'd like it if people were fine and I felt included. If those options aren't possible for me, I'll keep living and doing what I want regardless..

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Speak before thinking. I prefer group discussions but one on one with my partner.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

If an time limited opportunity comes up I'll jump at it but big decisions where I can take my time I'll ponder what the benefits are and if I'm doing it for good reasons and not because I'm stressed and want out!

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I go out! Television is a last option for me, it's for when people are sleeping or working and can't hang out with me.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I withdraw a bit, no energy for any personal charm lol. My interactions get more snippy and observations are more brutal. I get annoyed at people who are slow. I want everyone to be running at the same pace as me!

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

When people don't want to join in when it comes to life and prefer to stand on the sidelines and judge. The "I could do that and I could do it better" mentality, when they didn't do it and they couldn't do it better because they are cowards!

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Work. I will talk your ear off about work.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Probably health stuff, I should probably eat healthier... I'm a bit of a glutton.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Friendly, confident, quirky, unfocused, a bit arrogant, unrealistic

They'd never say that I was boring

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Exploring! Trying new things, doing something completely different.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ENTJ?

People with much more knowledge about this stuff than myself will probably be along soonish to help you out. Our threads have the same title and I thought this was mine!

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
ENFP. I think @Chipps was in a similar situation as you --an ENFP feeling more logical than other feelers yet still feeling like a feeler.

ENFPs have extraverted thinking (Te) as their third function meaning they will use it a lot of the time. Te is the same function dominant in ESTJs and ENTJs which is why you find yourself doing administrative things from time to time.

I didn't sense much extraverted intuition (Ne) which is the dominant function in ENFPs, but there was some. I'm just going to assume you didn't fully express yourself. But I do believe you are intuitive.

Your Fi is pretty clear -- you do seem to be an individualist on your own path and seem to value an individualistic outlook. Though you do not strike me as an introvert nor an Fi-dominant since you seem to mix in a lot of logic into your life.

The fact that you keep bringing up the point of feeling irritated by sluggishness, talking but not doing anything, attention to details, etc suggests that you have an aversion to introverted sensing (Si) which suggests that that is your inferior function.

Through this reverse logic we can assume that you are an Ne-dominant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about that Red! I've made it all caps now

Ugh, wait it wont let me do it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@AbioticPrime You make a lot of sense and reading up on Ne, I do like to make connections between things a lot. My thought process runs off into strange tangents full of metaphors, my way of thinking is definitely tree like! I guess when I'm talking about myself it doesn't really come out, but when I talk about other things I do express myself that way!

I think some of the personal qualities I find questionable might not be at all type related but just an adjustment to the life and environment I live in.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
@AbioticPrime You make a lot of sense and reading up on Ne, I do like to make connections between things a lot. My thought process runs off into strange tangents full of metaphors, my way of thinking is definitely tree like! I guess when I'm talking about myself it doesn't really come out, but when I talk about other things I do express myself that way!

I think some of the personal qualities I find questionable might not be at all type related but just an adjustment to the life and environment I live in.
Remember that MBTI/Cognitive Functions describe how we think -- how we gather information and come to decisions based on that information.

When it comes to more personal, deeper things, your enneagram type comes into play. So fears and motivations in life. What you ultimately want to avoid and what you ultimately want to get. It has an incredibly large influence on literally everything you do.

Reactions: Tig

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I'm an ENFP and I tested as an ENTJ for a long time....I also tested as ENFJ, INFP, and ENTP on seperate occasions (?!)

It was only through studying and educating myself on the cognitive functions that I finally felt comfortable classifying myself as an ENFP. I made the mistake of comparing myself to other ENFPs on this site, which lead me to question my type over and over again. We are all individuals, there are loads of ENFP posts on these forums that I don't relate to at all.

While I am wary of any online 'personality' test; if you are interested in learning about your cognitive functions - this test is a very good place to start. Obviously you can never trust these tests, however, this one is definitely one of the best in my opinion (it also gives some good descriptions of the functions if you explore the site a little)

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Let me summon @Swordsman of Mana

He's really good at helping to type other people. I didn't read the answers to your question, but I'd say look at the cognitive functions for ENFP. I do use Ne, Fi, Te. But I also use Ti, and Ni. And my tertiary function is really developed since I spend a couple of years binging on it.

When you recall details from memories, is it difficult for you? I know that I can do it, but it takes me a while to put myself back in that moment and I have to focus and slowly, the details start to become back to me, which means I have a weak Si function but Se is definitely the most inferior of them all.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I just don't want to point you in the wrong direction and I know SOM really knows his shit. It could be that your enneagram type is wrong, but it sounds like its your MBTI type or both. Who knows.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I actually think you sound like an ESTP.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want to be able to explore the world and then synthesize what I've seen, touched, experience into something I made with my own hands. I guess it's just what I am compelled to do, I suppose it could also be how I deal with my mortality and how small I am in the scheme of things!
8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Hands on. I like being shown physically while doing it for myself.
This all sounds like dominant Se. You seem to enjoy being engaged in the physical present and you also describe yourself as an opportunist, which is something that quite a few of my Se-dominant friends can relate to.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Not having the right information or enough information. I feel it's necessary for any situation and puts me on a even playing field or even better at an advantage.
16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

When people don't want to join in when it comes to life and prefer to stand on the sidelines and judge. The "I could do that and I could do it better" mentality, when they didn't do it and they couldn't do it better because they are cowards!
These both sound Se mixed with inferior Ni. Se being your dominant function, you don't feel as though you can act if you do not have adequate information and thus downplay following your gut instinct (Ni) by diving into the realm of the unknown. Your answer to question 16 seems to indicate your strong emphasis on direct action and tangible results as opposed to instead thinking about what might happen or discussing hypotheticals.

I also think you're a Ti as opposed to Fi auxiliary because you seem generally more geared towards logical decision making.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
ESFP or ESTP, I think. I saw lots of Se. Although I will mention to @allisreal - hands on learning doesn't make someone a Sensor, really. But yes, I saw lots of Se too. I didn't see any Ne, really.

·
Registered
309 Posts
ESFP or ESTP, I think. I saw lots of Se. Although I will mention to @allisreal - hands on learning doesn't make someone a Sensor, really. But yes, I saw lots of Se too. I didn't see any Ne, really.
Yeah I wasn't trying to imply that. As an auxiliary Ne user I also prefer hands on learning at times. When I first read many of those statements I was just generally thinking that she was some kind of Pe (Se or Ne) dominant, but later decided as I read on that her posts sounded way more concerned with physical reality than an Ne dominant might be.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question!

I don't really know how to fit myself into the MBTI if we look at my view of myself and world view, probably because I have had such a strange life, if you ask me what word describes me it's "survivor". I think that's what makes me so rigid about things, cynical, controlling, morally ambigious, I'm those things at a drop of a hat if I feel threatened or it's to do with something I really want.

When I look at the people that are the types that you've suggested I feel like they are way too cool to be me, that's their natural state, I think mine is makeshift armor and the way of living is something I've created to ensure I get what I want and protect myself from further pain. I'm sure I'm some type gone wrong, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts