Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, comrades!

The first thread I ran across on PerC was the "ENFP Hug" thread. A beautiful thing, if I do say so myself, that embodies the spirit of the ENFP, of friendship, of happiness, of AMERICA (okay, sorry). So, I was thinking: hugs are versatile things, aren't they? So, as an ENFP (who, I assume, gives hugs quite frequently), what are some things you use hugs for?

For example:

1. As a means of annoying -NTs
    (My sister is an INTP, and she absolutely hates it when I hug her. Naturally, it's what I live for.)
  2. As a means of communicating with other -NFPs
  3. As a rough, non-textual equivalent to "ASDJKHDKSJFHSKJFHSDFHJSDHFSD YOU'RE AWESOME"
  4. As an excuse to squeeze someone until they can't breathe, express unbridled affection, and squee all in one go

Anyone else got anything? :D

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Oh yes, it's great NT torture!

also:

greeting others

saying goodbye

we're standing next to eachother and that inch gap is awakward so I think I will hug you now

I'm so happy I could burst

you just did the cutest thing and now I am compelled to squeeze your eyeballs out

I'm laughing so hard if I don't grab onto you I'm going to fall on the floor

it's really cold, let's share body heat

MINE! mine mine mine, you are mine, my friend, my person I'm talking to, nobody else can have you now

You're not leaving unless you take me with you

I need a pillow, come here

comforting others or asking for comfort myself, to let them know I feel their pain, or when I'm feeling alone to help me know that I'm not

I'm mad at you but I don't want this to tear us apart so I'm going to hold onto you untill we've talked this through and we're okay again

Well done! I'm so proud of you!

I'm sorry, please don't hate me?

If we just stand as close as possible we can stay out of everyone's way....or I'm hanging on to you so I don't loose you in this crowd.

I want everyone else to know that you're special to me

I'm tired, so I will hang limply on your shoulder and you can hold me up okay?

I also use hugs as a way to keep kids I'm watching from doing stuff they're not supposed to, I'll grab them and hug them before they get into trouble, and time out doesn't involve sitting in a corner, it involves sitting in my lap being snuggled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • To hug the person above you in a thread when they basically name every way you've ever used hugs ever

Aw man! Those lucky little kids! I'm going to have to try that next time I'm babysitting or something!

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
NTs don't like being hugged.... ? *peers

Is this a fact or just a very personal preference of 'some' people who happen to be NTs?
Yeah, it's purely a stereotype that doesn't even make sense. It would make more sense that a T-dom would be most likely to resist hugs (inferior F), but even then, nothing about how much they like them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I was really referring to a certain few NTs I know who hate hugs—I'm sure there are plenty of them out there who don't. In fact, I know a few NTs who don't. It just seems that every time I hug someone and they hate it, they're an NT. Sorry about that! *hugs ALL the NTs*

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I know some INFPs who find hugs embarrassing (one of my early friends), and then, I know some huggy ESTJs (I've been hugged by them before). That's more of a persona thing based on upbringing, social roles, and whatnot., not a type thing beyond sort of probabalistic stereotypes (I mean, males in general tend to show a lot of variation there). Inferior F would probably give someone a bit of a "is this me" insecurity at the basic level (their attitude towards it would probably come from more complicated factors that aren't really type related). I personally kind of think extraverts would be more comfortable with traditional social rituals (this isn't Fe, btw, lol) than introverts, due to the fact that extraverts tend to be adapted to handling the outer world objectively, rather than in accord with subjective ideas they have about their identities (I'm probably generalizing though). Jung kind of describes them as the types who might outwardly come off as the people who can adapt well to everything around them, but try to avoid defying conventional expectations too often (but of course, he was talking about fairly extreme extraverts as well - not necessarily ones who may live through their inferior functions so much).

·
Registered
316 Posts
sneaking ninja hug attacks to an INTJ which results in the most awesome full body hugs ever!

hugging an amazing cup of coffee first thing in the morning, because it is just perfect and words can't describe the sensation.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I was really referring to a certain few NTs I know who hate hugs—I'm sure there are plenty of them out there who don't. In fact, I know a few NTs who don't. It just seems that every time I hug someone and they hate it, they're an NT. Sorry about that! *hugs ALL the NTs*
Add me to the list. Thankfully I must radiate a anti-hug aura naturally, as nobody never tries to hug me. I just cringe at the thought!

·
Registered
321 Posts
haha, i love hugging NTs for some reason ! xD

and i also hug people out of joy, i mean really, if you ever tell me good news you should automatically prepare for a hug ! (run NTs, run!)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with hugs. I think they are a valid way of expressing affection--and thus, only like to receive hugs from those I feel fond of. Fake, social hugs with acquaintances are abhorrent to me, but I'm fine embracing a friend. It has to be genuine though.
I am seldom the hug-initiator. I find that to be extremely difficult.

All that analysis aside, I generally find hugs to be awkward, and botch them regularly. (Which is difficult to do, but hey, I'm an INTJ)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts