Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very emotional 95% of the time, but occasionally I have days where I'm really emotional, sensual, extremely intense and a little lonely. these days I feel very vulnerable (I have said some weird, poetic shit in the past during such times lol) and want to be by myself for several hours.

do other ENFPs relate to this?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I can say that I definitely relate. It's a weird mood. Usually, this is when I go out and take a walk - alone. It's odd. I love people, but in those moments I just want to stay away. One time when I was going to go outside alone (we have an awesome big property because we live in the country, great for long walks) and my sister said she wanted to go with me... I felt a lot of annoyance even though I know she didn't do anything wrong, which actually surprised me. But I just said no after regaining control over my emotions and left. XD

And the rest of the day I get, like you said, poetic. Although for me, I usually end up on the piano, composing something.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Yes, I can relate...I'd say I'm not emotional about 95% of the time around others, 80% of the time in private or with my Husband, and I definitely think it's hormone related for me.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I'm only really 'emotional' with people I'm close with and that I can trust. I can't just turn on emotion either. Sometimes, I might be with friends watching a sad movie. My friends will be sitting around crying their eyes out and I'm sitting there feeling pretty emotionless. However, I usually find that I bawl my eyes out in parts of movies when most other people aren't, and are looking at me like, "dude...wtf?" :dry:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm only really 'emotional' with people I'm close with and that I can trust. I can't just turn on emotion either. Sometimes, I might be with friends watching a sad movie. My friends will be sitting around crying their eyes out and I'm sitting there feeling pretty emotionless. However, I usually find that I bawl my eyes out in parts of movies when most other people aren't, and are looking at me like, "dude...wtf?" :dry:
Oh man. Movies can easily (if they are good, mind you) cause me to get very emotional. The Help had be absolutely bawling my eyes out, for instance. Lots of other movies, too... I would take the time to list them, but it's quite a long list. XD

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for me, there are so many filters a stimulus goes through before it even has a chance to emotionally affect me. 99.9% of the time, it just doesn't happen. I'm not like an EFJ, who tend to feel first and think later. I can't imagine how stifling it must be to have an immediate emotional response to a stimulus

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
for me, there are so many filters a stimulus goes through before it even has a chance to emotionally affect me. 99.9% of the time, it just doesn't happen. I'm not like an EFJ, who tend to feel first and think later. I can't imagine how stifling it must be to have an immediate emotional response to a stimulus
what if it triggers something deep within you though. Like a memory from childhood....something that happened to you years ago that you barely even registered at the time....yet a certain 'stimulus' evokes that memory....and that gush of irrational emotion comes pouring out...?

I guess a lot of it is also down to life experiences...some of us have been through experiences that others might not have...and will be affected by things differently.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what if it triggers something deep within you though. Like a memory from childhood....something that happened to you years ago that you barely even registered at the time....yet a certain 'stimulus' evokes that memory....and that gush of irrational emotion comes pouring out...?

I guess a lot of it is also down to life experiences...some of us have been through experiences that others might not have...and will be affected by things differently.
good point, I remember up until about 6 years ago or so it was hard to drive by my old school because it would immediately bring back memories of me getting my ass kicked and treated like dirt, but with Fi users, I think these triggers are much more specific and tend to be few and far between.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
good point, I remember up until about 6 years ago or so it was hard to drive by my old school because it would immediately bring back memories of me getting my ass kicked and treated like dirt, but with Fi users, I think these triggers are much more specific and tend to be few and far between.
Yep, I agree.

I would say that as a result of a pretty messed up and tough childhood and adolesence...I may be seen by some are more 'emotional' than other ENFPs. However, it took many years for these emotions to be 'filtered' as you say. I'm still going through the process. Right now I'm bit of an emotional and irrational wreck as a result of the deep introspection I've done trying to figure out my 'type'

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm very in touch with my emotions. I'm constantly aware of what I'm feeling deep down. On the other hand though, I don't express it readily. I mean, I can whenever I want but that's just it: it's always up to me, it's always a matter of choice. My emotions never just come up on their own, I pick and choose what I want to express outwardly.

Sometimes I indulge in emotional expression, other times I don't. I really love that it's up to me, because I can experience deep feelings every time they arise yet I never screw myself over by making counter-productive emotional outbursts. A 4w3 Sx/Sp ESFP I know is the same way. She is the master of her emotions. Sometimes she surfs their waves, other times she plays Moses and parts the waters.

Obviously, coming from my perspective I believe that the best way to control your emotions is to be in touch with your feelings. That way you can release some of the "steam" here and there as you choose rather than letting it build up. Otherwise, you run the risk of them coming out unexpectedly and/or of them festering and leading to periods of increased stress, sensitivity, or depression.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I'm very in touch with my emotions. I'm constantly aware of what I'm feeling deep down. On the other hand though, I don't express it readily. I mean, I can whenever I want but that's just it: it's always up to me, it's always a matter of choice. My emotions never just come up on their own, I pick and choose what I want to express outwardly.

Sometimes I indulge in emotional expression, other times I don't. I really love that it's up to me, because I can experience deep feelings every time they arise yet I never screw myself over by making counter-productive emotional outbursts. A 4w3 Sx/Sp ESFP I know is the same way. She is the master of her emotions. Sometimes she surfs their waves, other times she plays Moses and parts the waters.

Obviously, coming from my perspective I believe that the best way to control your emotions is to be in touch with your feelings. That way you can release some of the "steam" here and there as you choose rather than letting it build up. Otherwise, you run the risk of them coming out unexpectedly and/or of them festering and leading to periods of increased stress, sensitivity, or depression.
I am also able to identify most of my emotions. Sometimes I get a feeling inside that I don't understand, but I'm able to keep from expressing it outwardly if I don't want to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am usually indifferent and cheerful / fine during school or during social activities, but when I'm alone I can really turn into a trainwreck. I've gotten pretty emotional sometimes, and those times I also tend to spew out weird prose / poetry and be very cruel to my friends.

Now I just lay in bed and wait for the negative feelings to subside. They get pretty damn intense sometimes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts