Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say an ENFP is working together with an ENTJ on a project, what recommendations would you give the ENTJ to create a better working environment?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Be playful and assuring with them, I guess? Present ideas and welcome their ideas. A woman I'm living with is ENTJ. We certainly don't work together so I have no idea how that will turn out. She seems to appreciate my stay here and finds me hilarious. Not that I'm constantly making jokes, but being myself is a joke in itself. She's very rational, but very funny and sociable. We get along pretty well. I really wouldn't know how it would be in a work environment. Be on an ENFP's good side and they'll be driven to bring great ideas to the table.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,196 Posts
My recommendation? Find a new partner. Look, personally I'm a classic ENFP when it comes to authority...I can't stand unjust or illegitimate authority. ENTJs, such as my dad, don't care about rights to lead (edit: boss you around) they simply do it because such is the ENTJ nature.

I've worked on a number of projects with my ENTJ dad and ENTJ boss at work. It's always hella frustrating. Their way is the only way even if they're too busy seeing blatant errors in their choices.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Let's say an ENFP is working together with an ENTJ on a project, what recommendations would you give the ENTJ to create a better working environment?
Let each work to their strengths. My mother is an ENTJ. We did clash a lot for several years, but once we began to each work in our own spheres of strength, we now work together nicely.

The ENTJ can lead, plan, organize. The ENFP can motivate and help with ideas for the future or... with any ideas dealing with people. (It's practically a fact: people get us excited.) In fact, the ENTJs organizational skill can really help the ENFP, provided that the ENTJ is not stifling and understands that ENFPs -will- get things done.... just perhaps at a slower pace than the ENTJ would prefer. (Aka. euphemism for we tend to be procrastinators and/or perfectionists.)

In my case, my mother is a planner and very "big picture" oriented. I'm not a planner. And although I'm future oriented, I focus on the details. So even though we're very different, we complement each other.

It would also be nice if the ENTJ understood that as ENFPs we do tend to ramble at times or talk about nothing simply for the sake of talking. And to simply listen first before applying judgment.

Thanks for asking. I really appreciate that you're looking for ways to improve the situation. Out of curiosity, I'd ask what would be nice for the ENFP to do in return for the ENTJ.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for asking. I really appreciate that you're looking for ways to improve the situation. Out of curiosity, I'd ask what would be nice for the ENFP to do in return for the ENTJ.
I, and probably most ENTJs, strive for improvement and will constantly modify plans to make it absolutely perfect. A lot of times, that modification process comes with critiquing of others ideas and I've noticed that sometimes feelers take that rather personally.

I think what I would ask in return is to detach their personal feelings from the brainstorming, planning, analyzing and critiquing session. If an ENTJ shoots down your idea, please take a step back, breathe, and remember that we still like you very much. We are genuinely concerned with the success of the project itself and we don't really see work related with personal feelings.

I have known some very brilliant ENFPs and know they have lots to offer. I personally like hearing ideas and being critiqued on mine. I know I'm not always right and always ask opinions in my blind spots. So, please feel free to speak up to the ENTJ's!

I posted this thread in all the Dreamers temperament forums because I have the toughest time working with feelers without at some point unintentionally hurting their feelings.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Striving for improvement and modifying plans is quite normal. It is something I know ENFPs do quite a bit as well although it would probably be people-oriented and not work-oriented. So in that sense, an ENFP could relate.

Here are just some ideas of mine that apply to NFs but also to people in general. You may or may not be doing them at the moment.

If you dislike the idea and you know they'll take it personally, then try to reaffirm the idea to them that you still do care about them as a person. (eg. That's an interesting idea, but it's not necessarily what we're looking for now. We're trying to focus more on _____. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on _____? I would love to hear your input.) Saying "we" usually helps them realize that they're still valued and included. So basically, just be kind in general to these... sensitive people. :)

In other words, we may realize that an ENTJ still cares about us as a person while they're "shooting us down." But of course, reinforcement helps. I can't emphasize that enough.

Also, we do speak up. But we only speak up when we know the relationship won't be jeopardized. ...Dealing with NFs will probably be very different from what you're used to. It'll probably take some time on your part to slow down and exchange superfluous smiles (though it means a lot to us!) to get us on board with you. Once we are however, we're likely to be very willing to do many things...

So bottomline: reinforce the relationship. :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again spring. It kind of does sound like I incorporate some of those things. I'm usually very diplomatic when dealing with people and I think it helps a lot. I'm also a smile-aholic, since I tend to joke a lot.

I will keep everything you said in my mental library though and pull it out in intense situations when the dark side tries to take over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to comment on it instead of starting a new post, because I wanted to know if any of the other ENFPs have ever had a deep working bond with an ENTJ.

One of my closest friends in the entire world is an ENTJ. We were both involved in politics at our school. He's the most ambitious, level headed, forward thinking individual that I've ever met in my life. He realized, really early, that I had a wealth of insight that he really lacked. We became the best strategy buddies ever. We would sit in his office and talk for hours about issues surrounding campaigning. I understood the marketing, pr, social side of the elections. It was as if his understanding of budgets, university policies, and data in general combined with my social instincts created this power couple that was unstoppable.

My roommate is also an ENTJ, and we get along so well now that we respect each other as equals. I think that's the key to this relationship. Initially, ENTJs I feel think that we are more airheaded than we are... but through time and deep conversation, I've always felt like I've reached a tangible moment in time when I've felt the ENTJ say "oh... I get what you're bringing to the table." He helps to make sure that we get the gas bill paid, and I help give him dating advice and talk out social issues with him and other people. We rely on each other to get ahead, and it's great.

If you haven't buddied up to an ENTJ before, try it. They are great working companions.

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
I worked with an ENTJ for a little bit. We hated each other at first LOL. But eventually we managed to sort out a good working relationship. I realised very quickly that she was going to be blunt with me but I couldn’t take it personally and in return I needed to be direct and blunt with her. She was a supervisor and unfortunately for her, most of us who worked under her were feeling females (including two ENFPs).
Her dad, our big boss was an ENTJ too... he was just plain scary LOL. But I found I could get away with doing things that he found amusing... like when he put up a white board in the staff room and wrote on it ‘for staff notices only, do not write on this white board’. Naturally... the temptation was too much and I wrote ‘ok’ underneath it in red marker.
He flipped out... but then when he found out it was me he just smirked and rolled his eyes.
From personal experience, ENTJs I’ve worked with have formed a pretty ‘protective’ nature about those they value as good assets. When the boss was away at a conference the assistant manager went on a power trip and I found myself having to stand my ground on something that I found myself morally opposed to and he fired me. I received a phone call from the boss that afternoon telling me that I wasn’t fired. It was a situation where it was my word against the assistant manager and while legally the boss’ hands were tied, he chose to believe me over his assistant manager based on my past conduct. He sorted things out and the assistant manager ended up getting fired instead.
In a nutshell, give us a sense of purpose in our jobs (a cause) and we’ll work tirelessly to get the job done. And don’t freak out if we want to spontaneously break into song when something good comes on the radio. ;D!

·
Registered
873 Posts
To the ENFP:

Don't take it personally. ENTJs (such as my dad) are very blunt and expect nothing less than 100% efficiency. It's just their personality. Work hard!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts