Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@hmwith I am closing down the ENFP Blog, so here is the article you wrote. I hope everyone enjoys it!

Logical feelers

No, "logical feelers" is not an oxymoron. Logic, rationality, and skepticism are extremely fundamental aspects of who I am as a person, which goes with my ENFP drive to understand the big picture using extroverted intuition (Ne). Most of the common type descriptions significantly underestimate our thought processes and the "debate logic" we use in our everyday lives, in addition to the ones that are behind our strong beliefs/values, which we exhibit through our introverted feeling (Fi), which is also a very logical function that processes all of the information we take in through our Ne.
As with other intuitive types, ENFPs tend to have higher than average IQs, and perhaps that's a factor. From my experience, any very intelligent person is capable of performing the thinking functions well, and it is not uncommon for very intelligent feelers to outperform thinkers. That is one reason why it is not at all uncommon for ENFPs to be balanced on T and F when taking dichotomy tests. It is entirely normal for ENFP's to emphasize critical thinking in our lives, and the rate rises as one ages and extroverted thinking, ENFP's tertiary function, becomes more developed.

What is extroverted thinking?

Extroverted thinking (Te) is objective logic, compared the the subjective logic of introverted thinking (Ti). CognitiveProcesses.com has one of best description of the function online, an excerpt of which follows.
Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone's ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else's thought process.
In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else's logic, sequence, or organization.
I also really enjoy the way that @Vishalmisra described the function in a previous post. He explained that Te allows ENFPs to "categorise particular actions, recognise patterns and use the clues to logically make a flow diagram in our mind of how the outcome is to be achieved". Our Te is constantly seeking logical explanations for conclusions, occurrences, and actions of others. It is also on the look-out for lapses in sequence and flawed reasoning.

How ENFPs specifically use logic
Most ENFPs consider themselves "awesome" at logic and problem solving. However, an unhealthy ENFP could also use this to blame others for their problems, "using logic and ration to defend themselves against the world". They may also find justification for their own behaviors, whether or not others view them as appropriate.
On the other hand, when healthy, ENFPs with strongly developed Te usually use their Fi to support their Ne to welcome all experience and accept all individuals. We also use our logic to debate (we enjoy a nice intellectual sparring?) and find inconsistencies in our own and others' beliefs, opinions, and thought patterns.
We can use our logic to deal with the world more effectively, open up our perspectives, and get the most out of our experiences. And when it's used in balance with our other functions, especially Fi, we are getting the most from it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts