Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I am trying to understand how Te manifests itself as a tertiary function. Please explain to me how you feel it comes up in your daily life, in what shape and form, what events are most likely to conjure it, etc.
Mostly for me it's music analysis/score study and during arguments.

I use a lot of Te as a classically trained musician. The way I listen to music is much different. When I became classically trained, my Fi battled with my Te quite a bit. If was hard for me to go from "feeling" out a song to singing with detached "technique".

While debating a subject, I tend to use Te as I think it is a better form of expression than Ne. I use it to remain calm and "detached". However, it is also easy to slip into Ne if I get too frustrated. And I know there is less of a consensus with Ne than there is with Te.

I use Te and Si when I teach my students.

I also use Te when it comes to arranging a marathon training schedule.

Also, when I organize my recitals for my students and come up with the programming, I use heavy Te.

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
95 Posts
Te for me has become the way I attempt to make decisions, even though my natural form is to feel out the best result. This creates a sort of hybrid approach to my decision making, but also undermines my motivation to actually make decisions. I value logically reasoning out decisions, but since it's not my natural route I feel unqualified to make decisions. I am constantly riddled with a desire to make decisions that will not cause me regret (this is exaggerated by a father who is strictly STJ, and puts almost no stock in emotional decisions) and while this leads to indecision and a tiny bit of stress (more often the former in lieu of the latter) on the other hand it has caused me to think very hard about decisions I make, and therefore I make very careful decisions. And that's my answer in NUTSHELL form! :laughing:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Te for me comes after Fi in decision making. it's like "right ok, Fi has delivered it's verdict, now lets use Te to give a differing view". i also have loads of theories and models, generally about social behaviour, which i assume is Te.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...I value logically reasoning out decisions, but since it's not my natural route I feel unqualified to make decisions. I am constantly riddled with a desire to make decisions that will not cause me regret...
This is interesting. I read somewhere that Ne is stressed and frustrated by manifestations of Te - so decisions influenced by ENFP's primary and secondary function will probably feel like they are not good from tertiary function perspective. Probably what leads you to feel like you are unqualified to make decisions if you look at them from Te perspective.

Te for me comes after Fi in decision making. it's like "right ok, Fi has delivered it's verdict, now lets use Te to give a differing view". i also have loads of theories and models, generally about social behaviour, which i assume is Te.
The model building is actually Ne/Ni working in you. Te is a logical linear process that orders things in environment one after another is a logical sequential manner. I have read that tertiary functions are used in sort of self-defense i.e. whenever individual is stressed by environment their decisions will become more influenced by their tertiary function. So I was wondering how does that work out for ENFPs in life.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The model building is actually Ne/Ni working in you. Te is a logical linear process that orders things in environment one after another is a logical sequential manner. I have read that tertiary functions are used in sort of self-defense i.e. whenever individual is stressed by environment their decisions will become more influenced by their tertiary function. So I was wondering how does that work out for ENFPs in life.
well yeah that's kind of what i meant i guess. by models and theories i meant i like to categorize things and order things..

i think this is true for me. actually it feels more like Fi becomes less effective and negative so i start relying on Te more. it becomes all warped though when i'm REALLY stressed- like i start having weird logic.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
T.e. comes up in my life whenever my friends/family, excuse the language, need a bit of a shit kicking. This is when someone close to me denies obvious logic (even to an ENFP such as myself) and requires an assault of facts. I don't like facts, they're concrete, closed, and thus boring. However, they do have their purpose especially in hindsight when trying to figure out what went wrong. I'll share a few examples...

1.) My dad is convinced he has cancer despite numerous tests and scans that are negative. He is bankrupting his family paying for private scans (In Canada, quite expensive) to find his cancer. I had to use "hard logic" on him for why that's tearing his family apart.

2.) One of my best friends was cut off employment insurance earlier then he expected. He is a computer programmer, and utterly failed a test as part of a job interview months ago. At that point I pleaded for him to get a loan and re-enter school to upgrade his skills OR get any job to pay the rent as a career job right now seemed impossible. He refused, preferring to spend late nights playing video games paid for by E.I. and riding it out until it suddenly ended right when his rent was due. Again, I used "hard logic" in as respectful enough way to let him know I was right...He had needed to find a job ASAP and chose not to.

I dislike T.e. While I understand it's use in my life I consider it cold, harsh, and awkward to use. Even when friends agree with me it creates a negative atmosphere in the relationship temporarily, which I as an ENFP hate of course.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Like Tridentus, My Te comes to play usually after my Ne and Fi have done their work. I'm surrounded by thinking and sensing type people so I already know they're not going to relate to an intuitive description, I translate those observations into thinking vocabulary and make a case that way.

I'm usually not deciding anything or drawing any grand conclusions using thinking process, but I understand it well enough to bring my ideas out to people using it.

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Te is my back-up, basically. I draw connections with Ne, make judgments about them with Fi, and justify them through Te. It's a really "think as I go" kinda of process. The connections are there, the judgments are there, now I need to tell them why it's right, and that's where Te comes in and saves the day... as I argue.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
Te is my back-up, basically. I draw connections with Ne, make judgments about them with Fi, and justify them through Te. It's a really "think as I go" kinda of process.
I think this is a great way to describe what I feel about T.e. It's there in the background, it's a skill we can develop and use in select situations...Like a personal accessory we can detach or engage, like wearing a hat? Lol.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Te is my back-up, basically. I draw connections with Ne, make judgments about them with Fi, and justify them through Te. It's a really "think as I go" kinda of process. The connections are there, the judgments are there, now I need to tell them why it's right, and that's where Te comes in and saves the day... as I argue.
This sounds about right. My best friend is ENFP and I see her doing this every time she learns or discovers something.

The only thing is... I've let my primary Ne and secondary Ti functions limit/close out my Fe function in the past and it renders the Fe generally useless. I think it's really important for we primary Ne people to keep our tertiary function in mind as much as possible or else it can become very stunted, and whipping it out when the primary and secondary functions fail us is going to land us in sh*t and give the wrong impression about our true intentions. :/ Sometimes it's hard for us to acknowledge the tertiary function since it can easily come into direct opposition to our secondary function and that compromises our faith in our skillz. For me this translates to feeling like my work "sucks" and "is worthless" when I've busted my ass to finish the damn thing if I happen to find something similar that mesmerizes me and eludes my technical understanding; for her this can translate to feeling like she doesn't "understand" something after she's already used her Fi to decide how cool/special/important it is and someone else challenges her conclusion.

My best friend praises my thinking and makes statements like "I love that you make me think about things." What she doesn't realize is that she uses her Te unconsciously and automatically all the time, probably more than I use Ti, just as I do with my Fe when I do politics. Every time she reads a book or watches a film, her brain stores everything her Te notices: all the elements of the language, the visual style, and the zeitgeist on display and more. It's all material she uses to perform--same with me and Fe. She'll hammer out a short story in a day and the characters' feelings and motives might be a bit awkwardly like hers because she has trouble extending her Fi, but everything else will be stellar. Like, drop-my-jaw perfection. Yet she claims she's shallow and doesn't "think too deeply about things." Well, yeah, because she doesn't need to--that's not her focus, she just needs to "know sh*t." My own Ti screws me over when I can't feel comfortable about my logical conclusions and that's hard, but the Fe and Ne together can be like "hold on now, before you jump off that cliff... listen to this hilarious joke..."

Put that Ne on the throne, the Fi in a baby animal petting zoo, the Te in the office and the Si in a quiet room by itself and you'll be a rock star, ENFPs. We love you dawg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts