Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking to my friend, an ENFP, the other day and I was wondering do you think psychic ability of people aka ,the ability to notice things not perceived readily or to have vibes of certain situation happening, depends on the type of personality we have in addition to our cognitive ability or do you think it is somehow inherited. For example, my friend tells me that the ability to use intuition in terms of psychic ability runs in her family. Do you think that despite the personalities we have, there is a way to in a sense tap into our intuition and be able to perform psychic ability by being aware of possibilities through the pattern that events happen in a sense understanding what might happen in the future?:tongue:

·
Registered
204 Posts
the closest thing to that is Ni. But its not because of some supernatural ability as it is because one of the strongest abilities of Ni is to see how one event or several events leads up to (can often cause) another event. Its a very handy function.... but ENFps come equipped standard with Ne, which has the ability to make connections between seeming random points. ... while Ni focuses on how something came to be, or what might cause this or that, Ne focuses on allows possible outcomes. ... I've known for a couple ENFps to have a decent amount of Ni, and even tho they are both 'intuition ', they are both quite different and usually have far distances between themselves on the function line up. more often than not, Ni is closer to a weakness than a strength for.the average.ENFp.

One more note. I mean this with respect to both you and your friend. I wouldn't put too much stock into anything psychic. psychic abilities about as reliable as a roll of the dice. sure some things happen, but not everything. and it it doesn't happen every time, its just a really really educated or well informed guess.

(also, has anyone else noticed that it seems every psychic works in a small house? you think if it was legitimate, they would all get together and either rule the world or free it.... just saying)

Again, feel free to believe what you want to believe, my only suggestion is to find reliable sources and do your research. My intention is not disrespect or hurt, only to encourage growth in that there might be another way. If that's not for you, feel free to stop reading here. The rest is my story. its a sticky topic in general, and I may be opening up a can of worms, but here we go.

Personally, I know there are things out there we cannot fully explain, and I myself am the rare breed of ENTp (at least on this forum, I think) who affirms the existence of a spiritual realm. but that's where I did my research. I studied the sciences -- they couldn't answer my 'why ' questions, only the 'how '. I looked for psychic ability, or for legitimacy in other's ability, but it proved inconsistent. I studied religion too, and that's where I found my answer for unexplained phenomena (tho I hate calling it religion--for I don't have to 'appease the gods ' like most religions practice.

back to topic, I looked at all the major religions and considered all possibilities. yay for Ne! each religion, when broadcasted the right way, can evoke feelings of spiritual connection , so I found Ti a more useful way to look at things fairly. and that's the key, to eliminate your biases and be fair, otherwise if the truth hits you in the face, but you hate it, you will miss it( I've done that in so many ways during math class, its not even funny). being fair also means considering that there is no truth in religion. but there is a big difference between considering the possibility, and coming to a conclusion that religion has no truth simply because you fail to out in the effort to understand a religion.

in essense, you have to figure out what its bottom line is. you come to your own decision, but I came to find that the bottom line of Christianity to make alot of sense. (also the God of Christianity acts very differently than most gods do. For instance, he loves, wants to get personal with you, asks for you to follow him--but does not force you to.....most other deities command you to follow them... or else---and that seemed fishy to me) most people think its about following rules or going to church.... but that's not what it is at the bottom line. still, its best to do your own research. if you really want to find the truth, you will be willing to wade thru all that is *partially true* to find it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with Rushing Wind that Ni is probably the closest thing to a psychic ability. I've known ENFP's who are good at getting an overall picture or impression of a person very quickly. I've known INFJ's who are very good at seeing "behind-the-scenes" of someone's words or actions.

Personally I'm very wary of people who put a lot of confidence in their ability to quickly read people or their ability to quickly determine someone's character. They are only human after all and can and have been wrong. If they did have a legitimate psychic ability I'd still be wary because they are still human and can be corrupted to use the ability for their own good rather than for the benefit of the people. Basically the ability would be too dangerous for us to wield responsibly, I think.

I don't think that what you're describing is inherited. If anything being able to read a situation and pick up vibes from it is more an experience thing than anything else. I'm not even sure that functions play much of a role in it either as many people can read a situation very quickly and pick up things. How they do it though would be different I think.

So basically what you're describing as psychic ability I think is probably due to more to experience and learning than it is functions.

Now something like someone predicting the next 4 major wars, the winners, and the outcomes say 500 years before the first one happened would have to be due to divine revelation and not any process in the human brain. In my opinion.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I was speaking to my friend, an ENFP, the other day and I was wondering do you think psychic ability of people aka ,the ability to notice things not perceived readily or to have vibes of certain situation happening, depends on the type of personality we have in addition to our cognitive ability or do you think it is somehow inherited. For example, my friend tells me that the ability to use intuition in terms of psychic ability runs in her family. Do you think that despite the personalities we have, there is a way to in a sense tap into our intuition and be able to perform psychic ability by being aware of possibilities through the pattern that events happen in a sense understanding what might happen in the future?:tongue:
Take this "psychic" ability with a grain of salt. Intuition is a function of the human psyche that has been named in historical contexts as "psychic." Many of my family members are intuitive types. The gene responsible for intuition is inherited. The gene has also been implicated to be involved in disorders such as schizophrenia, autism, ADD, etc. So, it isn't so strange to assume that her "psychic powers" are family related. However, psychic powers are the same as speaking about the mighty rumbling volcanic god being angered. Your friend has a gift called empathy. She is speaking in symbols if she doesn't understand how the functions work direct her here for education on the matter. Okay, everyone let's all put our feet on the ground. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Intuition does NOT equal psychic ability. Even strong intuitors can be wrong. "Psychic" ability is pseudoscience.

On the other hand, intuition can help gather clues in the past and present that present a better overall picture of what might happen in the future.

Reactions: marzipan01 and tuna

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys, thanks again for the replys. u definitely answered many of my questions, also can one of you please clairfy for me whats an ni?

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
hey guys, thanks again for the replys. u definitely answered many of my questions, also can one of you please clairfy for me whats an ni?
Ni stands for introverted intuition. It's one of the eight cognitive functions. If you don't know what those are, there are some threads at the top of the Cognitive Functions forum.

*takes a psychic pose* ...I predict...that shit will happen.

·
Registered
204 Posts
in short,

Ne > seeing possibilities all at once (sometime shows itself as indecision due to "too many options ", attention problems, stopping mid sentence because you just realized something important)

Ni > understanding the flow of cause and effect of how things come to be. (often shown in the form of predicting things > "I just have an odd feeling that ___ will happen " but the prediction is more in the ' I have a feeling ' sense rather than the ' I have psychic powers ' sense. aka, its less creepy)

hopefully that sums it up :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Everyone has an intuition cognitive function able to be used to understand things on a subconscious level, so yes, anyone can "tap" into it and use it. The frequency of this happening and how well they do it correlates with how often they use their intuition function. As for "being aware of possibilities through the pattern that events happen in a sense understanding what might happen in the future", this relates more to introverted intuition, as a lot of people have already said. So technically, Ni dominant types would be the best at doing this, then Ni auxiliary, Ni tertiary, and Ni inferior might have small spurts of it every once in a while.

·
Banned
210 Posts
From experience, not from an academic standpoint, both Ni and Ne users are capable of psychic ability.

NTs normally tend to distrust their intuition and psychic precognition, but in most cases it's a decision they will regret later

That said, I found ENFPs were much more likely to have psychic experience. An ENFP always told me about ghosts he saw (mostly women) and spirits who visited him. Though I thought at least some of the things he said were made up.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Intuition does NOT equal psychic ability. Even strong intuitors can be wrong. "Psychic" ability is pseudoscience.

On the other hand, intuition can help gather clues in the past and present that present a better overall picture of what might happen in the future.
Not always the case, intuition might just as well be somewhat related to psychic skill. People who have psychic experiences are mostly intuitors. Personally I think pseudoscience must be something that has been definitely disproved.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
In order to have a psychic ability it first has to be proven that there is a psychic ability, and up until now nothing has been proven as of yet, so there is no point in talking about fitting to any personality.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Not always the case, intuition might just as well be somewhat related to psychic skill. People who have psychic experiences are mostly intuitors. Personally I think pseudoscience must be something that has been definitely disproved.
No, pseudoscience is anything that pretends to be science; science being based on evidence and research, pseudoscience being based on the tingly feelings of sheeple with low IQ.

Reactions: topgun31

·
Banned
210 Posts
No, pseudoscience is anything that pretends to be science; science being based on evidence and research, pseudoscience being based on the tingly feelings of sheeple with low IQ.
ANYTHING THAT PRETENDS to be science. By saying this you are presupposing that there's an ultimate authority in this world who has a final say in whether something is scientific or not. Funny this mentality sounds more religious to me than anything else.

Saying that pseudoscientific researches are all done by feelers with low intelligence is not only inaccurate and presumptuous, but also a little stupid considering the fact that you are on this forum. Please remember that MBTI theory itself was proposed by one of the most feeler scientists in the world, C.G Jung. It was for a very long time assumed to be pseudoscience by other scientists because it was purely based on observation and not on scientific evidence.

Personally I suggest you to be just a little more open-minded and don't discredit something just based on your dislike. Sometimes being snobbish doesn't really show you are superior, it only shows you are ignorant and potentially retarded.

Sorry if the above statement was worded a little strongly, but since you are an INTP you should know what it is that you really value, inquisitiveness or being a close-minded idiot.

·
Registered
642 Posts
ANYTHING THAT PRETENDS to be science. By saying this you are presupposing that there's an ultimate authority in this world who has a final say in whether something is scientific or not. Funny this mentality sounds more religious to me than anything else.

Saying that pseudoscientific researches are all done by feelers with low intelligence is not only inaccurate and presumptuous, but also a little stupid considering the fact that you are on this forum. Please remember that MBTI theory itself was proposed by one of the most feeler scientists in the world, C.G Jung. It was for a very long time assumed to be pseudoscience by other scientists because it was purely based on observation and not on scientific evidence.

Personally I suggest you to be just a little more open-minded and don't discredit something just based on your dislike. Sometimes being snobbish doesn't really show you are superior, it only shows you are ignorant and potentially retarded.

Sorry if the above statement was worded a little strongly, but since you are an INTP you should know what it is that you really value, inquisitiveness or being a close-minded idiot.
1. Carl Jung was an INTP
2. I said 'tingly feelings', not 'feelers'; I should perhaps have clarified that as 'vague, general feelings that lead to vague, general notions with no basis in fact whatsoever, and that insult scientific method and research.'
3. Yes, that was worded strongly and reflects very ill of you. 'Retarded'? Really? Are you twelve?
4. Courtesy of dictionary.com:

pseu·do·sci·ence   
[soo-doh-sahy-uhns] Show IPA
–noun
any of various methods, theories, or systems, as astrology, psychokinesis, or clairvoyance, considered as having no scientific basis.
pseudoscience (ˌsjuːdəʊˈsaɪəns)

— n
a discipline or approach that pretends to be or has a close resemblance to science
pseu·do·sci·ence definition
Pronunciation: /ˌs{uuml}d-ō-ˈsī-ən(t)s/
Function: n
: a system of theories, assumptions, and methods erroneously regarded as scientific
pseudoscience [(sooh-doh- seye -uhns)]

A system of theories or assertions about the natural world that claim or appear to be scientific but that, in fact, are not. For example, astronomy is a science, but astrology is generally viewed as a pseudoscience.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

Pseudoscience is a claim, belief, or practice which is presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to a valid scientific method, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, cannot be reliably tested, or otherwise lacks scientific status.[1] Pseudoscience is often characterized by the use of vague, exaggerated or unprovable claims, an over-reliance on confirmation rather than rigorous attempts at refutation, a lack of openness to evaluation by other experts, and a general absence of systematic processes to rationally develop theories.
Distinguishing scientific facts and theories from pseudoscientific beliefs such as those found in astrology, medical quackery, and occult beliefs combined with scientific concepts, is part of science education and scientific literacy.[2]
The term pseudoscience is often considered inherently pejorative, because it suggests that something is being inaccurately or even deceptively portrayed as science.[3] Accordingly, those labeled as practicing or advocating pseudoscience normally dispute the characterization.[3]
But I do apologise for leaving out the other group that tends to perpetrate pseudoscience: high IQ scammers and pyramid schemes.

Reactions: Judas and topgun31

·
Registered
424 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts