Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if any other ENFPs out there have a problem with public speaking. It's a huge problem for me because I work as a teacher, and my daily job gives me a great deal of anxiety. If anyone else has any insight about the origins of this kind of phobia for ENFPs, who are supposed to be generally socially confiden, that'd be great! If anyone also has any possible strategies for dealing with it, I'd love to hear them. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Vanilambrozja

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
i think you should develop a style of public speaking based off how you observe others to do it and what feels natural to you.

public speaking is all about personna.. something which ENFPs should be good at :)
i guess our weakpoint would be that we don't prepare well enough, so maybe rehearse through parts of lessons in front of a mirror? i guess preparing for a class is much like preparing for a speech, and for a speech you would rehearse beforehand right?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeaa I have that problem-In school shows I was very stressed but when I went on the stage_I disn't thinking about that and was funny but sometimes I can't stop laughing:shocked:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's part of the whole ENFP weakness that we can't be outgoing on command. When someone tells us to say something funny, we simply can't.

I suppose my only advice will be to give it time. Eventually you'll become more and more comfortable in you job, and you will be able to put more of yourself into your work, letting your sincerity shine through.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've never really had that sort of speaking anxiety in public. Maybe it's just because my mouth doesn't shut.

·
Registered
627 Posts
For me, public speaking is difficult with an unknown or highly diverse auduence.

In private one on one conversations I tend to tune my message and expression level to the given personality I'm conversing with. I like to think of it as framing the conversation in a way that's most comfortable for the other person. You get more honesty and depth when they're in the right zone to open up to being receptive to the message at hand.

With two people this gets harder to balance. With three people I'm making tradeoffs in style all over the place to idealize the communication. Add three hundred people and invite disaster. My strength of personalization is now useless if there's any variety to the group.

This changes if my familiarity with the particilar audience is high. I'm extremely comfortable when I am in tune with the group dynamic and feel confident in how to deliver a message to a particular group.

It's also difficult even in a group I'm familiar with if there's a wide range of beliefs and personalities involved. I get forced to throw away my feeler hat and move into thinker territorry which is certainly not my playground...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can only sing in front of people because it takes concentration on the tune and it comes naturally. I couldn't do a public speech to save my life...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts