Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently chatting to a girl I kinda like, and we were discussing the traits of our "perfect" partners. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she mentioned that she found conversation with me intimidating

She backed this concept up by describing it as a good thing because she thought I was "knowledgeable and full of thoughts and ideas, and whilst that makes [me] interesting, it can also make me a bit intimidating to talk to"

Is this something any other ENFPs have experienced? If so, is it a positive, negative or an ambivalent trait? Thanks people!! :unsure: :confused:

Reactions: Unicorntopia

·
Registered
356 Posts
Perhaps its more intimidating for those who are not as self assured so they feel intimidated. I can see what you mean about the idea's thing but that seems more than people would wish they could be more like that....maybe hmmmm....i wouldn't say I was that way though Ill ask my best honest friend and come back to you on that one.

Pie x

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
My neighbor used to say I was intimidating because I was good at a lot different things. But I thought his comment was a bunch of b.s. and he was just trying to date me.

I don't think conversations with me are intimidating, unless it's on a subject I really know. Also, I know a little bit about a lot of stuff, so I have no problem keeping a conversation going. But I don't know about intimidating.

Now, arguments may be a different story. I can go and go and show so many different perspectives to get my point across. I know I have frustrated more than a couple of people.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I find ENFPs a little intimidating just because they talk so fast, get so excited, and make you feel like everything you say is the coolest thing they have ever heard, and it makes me not know how to respond or feel. On one hand it is wonderful, on the other it is like overload and I do not have time to process through everything that just happened.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,207 Posts
Could it be that in general, talking to people that we like is intimidating overall? Sounds like she has a crush on you..

Usually, I'm approachable and friendly, but when I like a guy, I'm so self-conscious that I start acting less of myself and a bit serious/poised (hate that about myself- I should just get over it) that I give off a different vibe.. it's weird..

When I get that way? I also find the other person very intimidating, because I don't want to say/or do anything to make me look moronic.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have been advised that 'no' i am not imitimidating.....there ya go, said i'd get back to you on that one...

Pie & Wet kittens :) x

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been advised that 'no' i am not imitimidating.....there ya go, said i'd get back to you on that one...

Pie & Wet kittens :) x
Ahh thank you!! :happy:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's often me who gets intimidated and not the other way around! I have a feeling the only friend I hang out with here is intimidated by me (he doesn't admit it), but then again he liked me.

But, really, I don't see how ANYONE could ever be intimidated by me. I never hold it against anyone if they aren't as knowledgeable on a particular subject as I am. That usually gets me excited and talk on and on about it. I'm never thinking, "Oh, wow, what an ignorant dumbfuck" (unless they really are). What I'm actually thinking is, "OMG, THEY HAVE TO KNOW! IT'S FAR TOO AWESOME. MUST SHARE!"

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've been told by some people at my school that I'm intimidating because they say I'm emotionally intense, "explosive" and I'm a girl who is physically strong. I find myself a pretty approachable person though...just...passionate. :crazy:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not sure about intimidating... but I sure have left people thinking if I was mentally challenged/insane. While it can be rather humorous, it's not always a good thing. Rather than over looking your comment, they continue to view you as this bizarre creature. I don't really like it... so I often regret half the shit that comes out of my mouth! Damn my over active Ne. It can get you into truly crap situations!

I don't think people view me as intimidating. They just think I'm insane and high maintenance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been told by many different people that I'm intimidating. Seems to always stem from one of two things--either I'm coming across as really intense and passionate about something or I am too unpredictable for the intimidated person to know what to expect from me.

I am very expressive when I feel strongly about something, and I have a hot temper. I got into a fight once with an ex-boyfriend when we were sitting in a coffee shop together. I was seated across the table from him, and in the middle of the fight he says, "do you think you could back your chair up a little--you're really intimidating right now." It's too bad I was too mad at the time to appreciate the humor of this moment, lol. But I think intense emotion can be very intimidating for some people, and it's something I never shy away from.

I've had others tell me I'm intimidating because I typically dress well and appear put-together. I think this makes me appear unapproachable. And I've known several people who found it very disconcerting that they couldn't always predict what I'd do or say or couldn't really get a "read" on me.

Whatever causes it, I definitely relate--I get this comment from people a lot.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Ya'll are as intimidating as wet kittens.
Hmm.. Not very flattering and I don't think it's accurate. Are you talking about irl? I tend to make INTJs sweat in real life.

I had an INTJ who once told me I had a very strong core. A fluffy outside, but a very strong center. He called me "barbed wire wrapped in wool".

Sure we are great with people, but we have our limits when someone crosses the line or one of our values.

Also, I doubt most guys want to be thought of as 'wet kittens" anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I've been told by many different people that I'm intimidating. Seems to always stem from one of two things--either I'm coming across as really intense and passionate about something or I am too unpredictable for the intimidated person to know what to expect from me.
Lol, when INFJs think deeply, other types call it a "death stare". So yeah... mix passion with thoughtfulness, and it certainly can seem intimidating. But that doesn't scare me.

Your Ne scares my Ni... :dry:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think most people find me intimidating, it puts off people sometimes that I would like to be friends with. I'm very forward and open with what I think and do when around people. :happy:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is how I picture ENFP's.
Not intimidating at all.
Just incoherent.

(Source: http://personalitycafe.com/member-photos-videos/4260-post-photos-your-rooms-17.html#post442699. Picture was not reuploaded.)
D:

Well, that's certainly not how I picture myself! And I think a lot of my friends would be absolutely floored if I had anything like that, hahaha. I'm a pretty simple person. I don't think type has to do with that.

As for OP: I've been told I'm intimidating. I think it's because by Te is very well-developed, and I have no problem using it against others. As much as I like people, I'm generally not tempted to be super squishy and nice towards everyone. So I just say what I want to. Plus I'm very good at life and I tend to look down my nose at those who have trouble with it... so that could be it too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts