Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys interested in being bosses? How do you manage your people if you are?

I'm asking because I'm trying to type my boss and I suck at typing people. I have a very strong suspicion that he's ExFP. He's very chill and accepting, never rude, never shouts at us, never tries to force his authority, but rather tries to persuade and if persuasion doesn't work would often say "do it as a favour to me then". These aren't exactly the kind of qualities valued in the corporate world, so I've never had a boss like this and I don't expect I ever will in the future.

So anyone with subordinates here? Are you like that?

One significant drawback of his approach is that he has a hard time dealing with insubordination.

Your thoughts/experiences? Does this sound ENFP or ESFP to you? Neither?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Sounds like a feeler, I dunno for sure though. I'm not (currently) a boss but I've been in leadership positions before and I've had an ENFP boss. The thing we both had in common was brainstorming sessions. It was so important for us to hear everyone's opinion and ideas as fuel to springboard off of for the direction of the projects we were working on. (I'm a games developer if that makes a difference)

Everyone's voice was important because it's a powerful tool for an ENFP but also because we know that if we were in our subordinates position we'd want a free space to voice or opinions.

The environments are casual, as if we're all equals, we both struggled when it came to switching to the boss who needs to keep people in line because neither of us have that authoritative position because we broke down those barriers when we insisted on being friends with everyone. It's a painful process to punish people.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Sounds like a feeler, I dunno for sure though. I'm not (currently) a boss but I've been in leadership positions before and I've had an ENFP boss. The thing we both had in common was brainstorming sessions. It was so important for us to hear everyone's opinion and ideas as fuel to springboard off of for the direction of the projects we were working on. (I'm a games developer if that makes a difference)

Everyone's voice was important because it's a powerful tool for an ENFP but also because we know that if we were in our subordinates position we'd want a free space to voice or opinions.

The environments are casual, as if we're all equals, we both struggled when it came to switching to the boss who needs to keep people in line because neither of us have that authoritative position because we broke down those barriers when we insisted on being friends with everyone. It's a painful process to punish people.
This dovetails neatly with a question @Alesha asked about leadership in, um, I forget which thread--"random thoughts" or "questions" or something. Trying to think the matter through last night, drawing on my own adventures with ENFPs, I was vaguely approaching something like, "Yes, ENFPs like leadership as in shining the light ahead onto some worthy goal, but they tend to get frustrated and discouraged when the actual road to the goal gets rough" (but I felt dissatisfied with what I had written and axed it). What you're saying about "painful process" is consonant with this. Leadership--being a boss--is fine . . . until the road gets bumpy and the ENFP has to punish someone. My notion is that ENFPs are visionary leaders and bosses (using the word "visionary" in nothing but a good sense); but an important part of leadership and bossness is the "lay down the law/punish" aspect, which ENFPs, I seem to have observed, find distasteful. Or have I misread the situation?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
You are right, @odinthor, we hated disciplining people. I also really dislike when I do something super self-sacrificial for my employees and they don’t realize it and maybe even think I had different motivation. I just barely talked to my ENTJ brother in law about all this because he and I see eye to eye, except he loves firing people when they deserve it or don’t fit the position well. For me, I was taught by my ENTJ boss during my first managerial position that an employees failure to fit a job should always be seen as a training issue— and you keep training people up! Actually she may have been ESTJ which if I accept this thought it would floor me and forever change my opinion of ESTJs...we did great together. Nah...must have been ENTJ...? Anyway...it was the very best possible managerial position for me.
I ran two smallish WIC clinics for 5 years...then moved to Oregon doing the same thing. Hated WIC in Oregon in our darling but quirky county here in Oregon. They have no vision for county health here— it seems more like they are just trying to not piss other groups off. (The state WIC in Oregon are amazing though). So...what like 7 years ago? I had already been doing the schedule and all the really high risk kids at a bigger facility with 6000 patients in Salt Lake City and then applied for county WIC manager for Tooele County Utah. It was a great fit and that particular group highly valued innovation, the county’s health and WICs place in helping young families. I was able to increase the caliber of employees, switch8ng from highly experienced lay-people (by attrition) to all nurses, except for me the only dietitian and only lactation consultant, which meant I was the manager of course, but also saw every high risk kid (I’m going to just say this very bluntly, but I saved at least 2 babies lives...and this means more to me than anything else. More babies if you count the ones I just told the parents to get to their doctors immediately, etc, or did more good if you count the ones I helped to grow where they weren’t before because the parents were not feeding them properly. But 2 who i gave the parents every chance to take to the hospital and the parents wouldn’t and didn’t believe me when I told them it was an emergency and then I finally (always after discussing with doctors) called child protective services and child protection services took the baby to the hospital. One baby was in the hospital for a month after that and was saved and back to their parents. One was in for a week and a surgery and back to their parents. WIC is designed to be a safety net. Little known fact: every dollar this country spends on WIC saves the country $3.00. This was an amazing place for me. Accomplishments while managing in those 5years: I got 3 people trained and took the test as lactation consultants. Our breastfeeding rates went up by 5% I think it was.. Anemia dropped I th8nk by 3-5%. This is by properly educating families. I saw significantly less preemies due to an initiative I took to start educating moms on why early inductions were a mistake. The hospitals around us started making rules to not induce before 39 weeks unless due to medical reasons the year after this. We did lots of “understanding your baby” education and I believe I saw my team become incredibly passionate about this through trainings I pushed through and I am pretty sure I saw some big changes in the attitudes of mothers just with some understanding of babies brains and sleep patterns. Training is very important to me, my bosses said they’d never seen anybody as good as me at that. Current and up to date is extremely important to me. Whenever we are talking about the good of people...like there’s nothing that will hold me back from doing my utmost for them. I will learn whatever is necessary. Oh yeah..I started a diabetes prevention program for our county. My bosses supported whatever I wanted to do and it is still running and appreciated in that county. The problem you always have with discipline is with the secretaries...lol...but they just can’t see the big picture well and often love drama from old habits...gah...
So...okay I’m back to just counseling adults in nutrition and taking care of the needs of inpatients and outpatients. The bosses here have been...I don’t know, people here are afraid of change...they aren’t efficient. They are dang lucky to have me...lol...but there are also some wonderful doctors out here who I love working with who love the people like I do and who want me involved in their initiatives. I’m grateful for all this.
Everyone here including myself was drawn here by the beautiful coast...and I remind myself I want to always be here by doing what I did this morning and walking up to the lighthouse hill at dawn to look over the ocean and in the summer spot whales...also my friend says “What you really are is a creative person...an artist and musical person...”. And I can have all that here. I gave up some of my ambition when we moved here and that is all going to be fine.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
There are multiple styles of managing. If I ever were to lead others, I'd probably end up giving people time and space to tend to their own and take responsibility themselves. You know fast enough when someone is slacking or pretending he or she needs all their time for that one project, or need all that budget for that one project. I believe in making people care about you so that they work hard, as it works the very same on me. Bosses that are nitpickingly strict or go whine about being late one time can get a foot up their ass. I suppose you just sometimes have to put on your strict Te-leader voice just to let everyone know that your decisions and judgements are still the ones that count the heaviest and that you boot anyone that is not being honest.

I call out on my collegues too sometimes, especially the ESTJ girl that always pretended she was so burdened with work or called in ''ill''. Sure you were ill, weren't you online playstationing last night at 11:30pm? Didn't you earn a Trophy at 3am? I can look that shit up, you're busted!

I wouldn't mind if ISTP pulled this on me, because he always had my back and I had his, or agreed with my requests if I needed a little favour. With the ESTJ it was always a fight and struggle, always a wave of complains and argumentation with a snappy voice. If she would just shut up and fucking do it, my request would be fulfilled in 5 minutes and a customer/client would be serviced. Nope, she always decided to make a drama/battle and ruin the office atmosphere and put in all her energy in that so she wouldn't have to do that one thing. Because ESTJs don't take orders from others, that's their stupid principle, while it's not even about that.

Yeah... I wouldn't take such folks on my project 'team' to lead. Be honest, no bullshit, you are devoted or you are not. I suppose if you prove yourself you can get away with a lot of things with me? Give and Take. Besides, it probably falls in line with lack of hierarchy culture here, it is rather flat and short communications line. ''Act normal'' and humble, even if you are a boss. If you don't, people will mess with you and work against you.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
There are multiple styles of managing. If I ever were to lead others, I'd probably end up giving people time and space to tend to their own and take responsibility themselves. You know fast enough when someone is slacking or pretending he or she needs all their time for that one project, or need all that budget for that one project. I believe in making people care about you so that they work hard, as it works the very same on me. Bosses that are nitpickingly strict or go whine about being late one time can get a foot up their ass. I suppose you just sometimes have to put on your strict Te-leader voice just to let everyone know that your decisions and judgements are still the ones that count the heaviest and that you boot anyone that is not being honest.

I call out on my collegues too sometimes, especially the ESTJ girl that always pretended she was so burdened with work or called in ''ill''. Sure you were ill, weren't you online playstationing last night at 11:30pm? Didn't you earn a Trophy at 3am? I can look that shit up, you're busted!

I wouldn't mind if ISTP pulled this on me, because he always had my back and I had his, or agreed with my requests if I needed a little favour. With the ESTJ it was always a fight and struggle, always a wave of complains and argumentation with a snappy voice. If she would just shut up and fucking do it, my request would be fulfilled in 5 minutes and a customer/client would be serviced. Nope, she always decided to make a drama/battle and ruin the office atmosphere and put in all her energy in that so she wouldn't have to do that one thing. Because ESTJs don't take orders from others, that's their stupid principle, while it's not even about that.

Yeah... I wouldn't take such folks on my project 'team' to lead. Be honest, no bullshit, you are devoted or you are not. I suppose if you prove yourself you can get away with a lot of things with me? Give and Take. Besides, it probably falls in line with lack of hierarchy culture here, it is rather flat and short communications line. ''Act normal'' and humble, even if you are a boss. If you don't, people will mess with you and work against you.
Nico, look at son thrive! Proud of you! Also, I mentioned you somewhere but I thought it was nicocoloco...sorry. ><. Good to see you here!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Nico, look at son thrive! Proud of you! Also, I mentioned you somewhere but I thought it was nicocoloco...sorry. ><. Good to see you here!
Mother! :3

I saw one mention of you earlier I think, but I purposely didn't answer that so you'd miss me a little more I guess. But you aren't supposed to know that, so you didn't read this. Ok? :)

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Mother! :3

I saw one mention of you earlier I think, but I purposely didn't answer that so you'd miss me a little more I guess. But you aren't supposed to know that, so you didn't read this. Ok? :)
And I have missed you! Aww. /hugs

Reactions: nicoloco90
1 - 8 of 8 Posts