Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm... I'm not sure whether I want to write a whole Si rant or not... x) I will because I'm feeling sentimental in a way.

Smileygirl: Age 6... in a nutshell

I was different than most kids. While most of the kids were playing with dolls, Barbies, coloring books, etc. I was the one trying to figure out if the magnets of my My Little Ponies could stick to the pipes of the ceiling. I had a "number" name for everyone. For example, I called my mom "9" because I thought it suited her. (Ironic how she's a 9w1...) I was a charismatic, dreamy, sensitive little kid. I still am, in a sense x)

When I joined soccer for the first time, I didn't even like it. I just sat there drawing in the dirt with sticks. xD I drew very weird things, like a machine I made up in my mind called "The Punchamania" where you would put in a food, such as a hamburger, and it would come out as a different, crazy, alien food. I had trouble making friends because I was way too oversensitive. One could say my motto was "Everyone hates me because I'm weird!"

I was obsessed with bunnies and I met my ESFJ friend from next door, when I just moved. We made a club

Smileygirl: Age 8... in a nutshell

Here was basically the worst AND best year of my life, by far. Basically, I was starting to become scatterbrained, lost in my own world, and disorganized. My dad told me later on in my life that this is where he thought I might have combined inattentive AND hyperactive ADHD (which I do.) My ESFJ friend and another ESFJ were "fighting" over me, and I tried to play peacemaker. We finally made up, but I'm only friends with one of them now. I loved to read, a lot.

I really loved that book "Because of Winn Dixie" for some reason. I made friends with an INTx and INFJ girl who were already good friends, because I was in the "allergy class" with them and we instantly connected. I let go of my horrible fight with my other friends. We'd do the silliest things at recess. We had a club under the playground at recess where we'd try to make up a secret language. I followed the INTx girl around like a little puppy, and looking back, I think it was cute.

I wanted to be an entrepreneur for a writing company of some sort, and I wrote books with my INFJ friend. The titles were things along the lines of "Super Dork's Swirly Toilet Adventure," "Evil Eraser Takes Over NYC," and "Dancing Worm Guy." We became the class clowns for that year. xD

I became very stubborn and I didn't like people questioning my logic. I liked to argue with my mom because I thought it was fun, and she often made me get time outs for this.

Smileygirl: Age 10... in a nutshell

I was still friends with my INFJ and INTx friend, and the two girls I had a fight with. I did cheerleading and took a break from soccer, and I met another ENFP girl. We usually goofed off and rolled down the hills the whole time. When one of the songs had a swear word, we would scream at the radio because we were SO indifferent to swearing, and pop songs and their topics. (underdeveloped Fi, anyone?)

I started the idea for a company entitled "Laserbeam Lemonade Stand." Basically it was outside our neighborhood. It was with my ESFJ friend, except she got frustrated with me because I kept emailing her my ideas like "We should make an email address for it and email EVERYONE in *insert my town name* with our address!" and "I want to make a website!" or "Let's make a public service announcement with the money we made!" xD I know this because I looked through my kid email today for a science project where we had to look back at ourselves 5 years ago and whatnot.

Also, I started to develop a real stubbornness problem. My teachers wrote on my report card things like "Likes to argue her point," or "Should be a lawyer some day." xD

Share your stories! I could go on forever today, I'm feeling sentimental!

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
I can't remember in too vivid of detail that far back so it's broad strokes.

0-5 silly, playful, precocious, was an only child and hung with adults alot and per my mom, psychoanalized them pretty accurately. I used to dance for my family's entertainment. Started school early, don't remember any good friends in kindergarten.

6-11 I loved my elementary school. My mom picked it with recommendations. Did lots of plays/projects and got to do math and reading independently. I got along with most people well and had a lot of friends. Was sort of a teachers pet in general, but butted heads with one teacher majorly and was quite vocal in my opinions.

12-18 Hit or miss educationally. Was in accelerated classes, but really uneven performances. Still had the same good friends from grade school, but started to develop a reserved persona with people outside of my circle that I still revert back to sometimes. Alternately teachers loved me or we didn't see eye to eye and I was still vocal in my opinions. I dated guys, but never really fell in love and didn't have sex with anyone until after high school.

ETA: I loved sports and any games/competition for that matter. It's not a supposedly typical ENFP thing, but I was that nerd trying to get the fastest multiplication test score against the asian guy (phillipino in my case) and I dearly loved basketball and soccer and charades or chess or whatever. I've always been competitive, but it's against myself and my best possible performance and a good competitor helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was outgoing as a kid. Loved to be center of attention, singing and dancing. Loved school, my first day of school I told my mother she "could go now" so I could have fun and make friends. I was very bossy wanted people to play games my way and would start adventures throughout the playground. Would always get lost, as I'd get distracted by things like puppies or toys and my parents would go crazy looking for me and when they'd find me I'd scold them saying "Where were you!?" I loved to play make believe. Was scarily competitive about things, I would go out on the balcony and show the girl in the apartment across ours my toys and she would show me hers and we would stare at each other evilly. She was my nemesis lol! I was friends with everyone.. bored easily though! Loved reading, had strict parents so I was inside a lot, got bored so I read the World Book Encyclopedia. I was one strange bratty know it all kid to be honest!

·
Banned
8 Posts
0-5 I actually cannot remember much about my specific personality. I know I was a relatively pleasant kid and enjoyed being independent. I was a bright kid and enjoyed my family very much.

5-10 I learned that I had a passion for learning and books. I would always prefer to read than pay attention in my classes. I liked to make up wild, crazy stories and write silly songs. I always tried to push individuals as far as they would believe. I wasn't extremely fond of authority, especially if I thought they didn't care about me as an individual. I got in trouble frequently for rolling my eyes at adults. Learned I disliked cleaning and chores.

10-13 I think I started detaching from others at this point, at least pretty significantly. I struggled to relate to others and did not have many friends. I had a tendency to annoy others and didn't really care about life in general. I was bright but I didn't try in school very hard. I related better to older adolescents and adults. I was extremely awkward in how I presented myself.

13-18 I started overcoming the awkwardness and began to make genuine friends. I started doing better in school once I determined how I could become motivated (I was extremely competitive and sought to be better than my classmates). I was unusually self absorbed but started to have compassion for other people. I enjoyed participating in a variety of activities and learned that I had aptitude for many activities I tried.

@Tig - I can relate a lot to your post. I wasn't one to wander off excessively because I always found a way to keep myself entertained. I would find patterns in the strangest things around me, and when I could not find a pattern, I engaged in excessive intuitive thought.

Reactions: Some Kind of Blue

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Reactions: Some Kind of Blue

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I was a genuinely happy and determined child. I learned how to run before I could walk and my first phrases were in the form of questions. I was keenly observant of the world around me, and there was little adults could get by me. If I wasn't given an answer, I would ask someone else or go to the library and find the answer in a book, and then shove my knowledge in the face of whomever wouldn't give me the answer. Oh, the days before the internet.

In Elementary school
- I had a core group of friends that I was kind of the "ring leader" for. I was always the one who would come up with games to play. My favorite thing was show and tell, and I loathed nap time. I was a terrible writer and reader until I took a look at myself and realized how embarrassingly behind all my classmates I was. By the time second grade rolled around, I was in the highest reading group of my class and had my first "boyfriend" and first kiss. I was SUPER flirtatious, happy and athletic. One of my favorite things to do was sing

In Middle School- I was born with a lot of medical problems that started to catch up with me around this time. I had to take a lot of time off from school, and became really introverted as a result. I excelled in English classes; so much so that I was always a day ahead with assignment. I started off singing in chorus, as I had done in elementary school, but after having surgery I lost my voice and quit. I rebelled from not being able to sing by joining my school's drama class, which I loved and still have a passion for to this day. I had one really true friend through all my middle school days. I became disenchanted with my classmates who were so into being "popular" and wanting to wear all the same things and act the same way. I think my medical problems kind of made me realize there was more to life than what you're wearing or who you hang out with.

Sorry for the rambling, but DANG that was fun. ^_^

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
@Smileygirl, I think you'll find this interesting

So, as anyone who knows me on the forum knows, I'm not a normal ENFP... I'm sort of the group asshole.

In elementary school, I was a total loner. In grades 1-3 and before I just remember thinking that the kids around me were confusing and had strange mannerisms and didn't make sense. In reality, they were just normal kids, and I was the weird one, but I had a strange upbringing, and I never really had any stable friendships with children my age. I had one friend, an ENTJ who I still hang out with every weekend :), but for the most part, the only other youth in my life were my 4 older brothers, who are all at least 7 years older than me, and a couple other kids on my block that I hung out with who, strangely enough, were like.. 16 or so. Later in elementary school, I became so disassociated with the kids around me in school that I became a sort of misanthrope. At my worst, I broke a girl's arm for no reason.

Middle school was tough. 6th grade was more or less when I started wanting to fit in with everyone else, and even though I still didn't like them, I wished I had a community to fit into. I did have a few friends, but they weren't close, other than that ENTJ. 7th grade was when things started turning around. I had a great English teacher, who was sort of like a mentor for me. She's the only INFP I've ever met that I really liked (probably because the only other ones I know are still in mopey angsty teenager phase). 8th grade I mad a bunch of great friends, who I don't hang out with too much now, but we still talk every once in awhile. One of them was an ESFP who was my first crush, and another was an INTJ who I ended up dating for a year until earlier this month.

So far, high school has been okay, I guess. I fight a lot with my mom. We're both NFP's, and we both had abusive fathers, so we have chronic depression, and we clash a lot. She means well, but we're obviously both very emotional, and I have a hard time dealing with my own issues. On a side note, that is why Scott Pilgrim is my profile picture: to remind me to face myself, every time I see that picture.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Smileygirl, I think you'll find this interesting

So, as anyone who knows me on the forum knows, I'm not a normal ENFP... I'm sort of the group asshole.

In elementary school, I was a total loner. In grades 1-3 and before I just remember thinking that the kids around me were confusing and had strange mannerisms and didn't make sense. In reality, they were just normal kids, and I was the weird one, but I had a strange upbringing, and I never really had any stable friendships with children my age. I had one friend, an ENTJ who I still hang out with every weekend :), but for the most part, the only other youth in my life were my 4 older brothers, who are all at least 7 years older than me, and a couple other kids on my block that I hung out with who, strangely enough, were like.. 16 or so. Later in elementary school, I became so disassociated with the kids around me in school that I became a sort of misanthrope. At my worst, I broke a girl's arm for no reason.

Middle school was tough. 6th grade was more or less when I started wanting to fit in with everyone else, and even though I still didn't like them, I wished I had a community to fit into. I did have a few friends, but they weren't close, other than that ENTJ. 7th grade was when things started turning around. I had a great English teacher, who was sort of like a mentor for me. She's the only INFP I've ever met that I really liked (probably because the only other ones I know are still in mopey angsty teenager phase). 8th grade I mad a bunch of great friends, who I don't hang out with too much now, but we still talk every once in awhile. One of them was an ESFP who was my first crush, and another was an INTJ who I ended up dating for a year until earlier this month.

So far, high school has been okay, I guess. I fight a lot with my mom. We're both NFP's, and we both had abusive fathers, so we have chronic depression, and we clash a lot. She means well, but we're obviously both very emotional, and I have a hard time dealing with my own issues. On a side note, that is why Scott Pilgrim is my profile picture: to remind me to face myself, every time I see that picture.
Yes, that was interesting! Thanks for sharing! You've been through a lot... And I think you're awesome. Just wanted you to know. :) PS, I finally got your Skype message... Sorry that took me a while... :p

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yay, it's nice to recognize myself other people's childhoods. :)

I'm really long-winded and would love to give u a paragraph snippet of every stage but I'm pretty sure no one would read it lol i should just write a memoir...but I have to tell at least one story so here goes...

One story: I was sitting in my playpen in the living room while my dad and his friend were watching tv on the couch. I was playing with my toys and being normal until my dad left the room. I immediately stopped what I was doing and just sat there and stared deadass in my dad's friend's eyes, never blinking. Then my dad came back and - like clockwork - I started playing with my toys again. So I was very alert and observant, like I am now.

When I ask my mom how I was as a child, she says, with a puzzled look, "You were just weird." O_O SMH

But who isn't...complex? Even though I was a cautious worrywart, I put myself out there. Put me in front of an audience, and I'd show off. Give me a lazy summer day and I'll put together a performance with the neighborhood kids and go door-to-door asking complete strangers to come.

But I was never really liked by all - somehow, I always managed to bump heads (even with adults), which was the last thing I ever wanted to do. I never remember feeling like I fit in. But I did have one best friend who understood me in a special way, so I was blessed to at least have that one friend during childhood.

I looked up to Miss Piggy (I even prayed for a mole on my face like hers), Pippi Longstocking and Annie. :)

And I was messy, hyper, had a dirty mind but somehow looked like an angel.

So yeah, that's a snapshot of me.

EDIT: Apparently Miss Piggy doesn't have a mole! I swear at one point she did though. Someone did darnnit!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
This thread seems a bit old but I'd like to add a few lines about my ENFP younger sis when she was a kid. She used to sit there surrounded by her toys and speak for EACH of them in a different voice during their seemingly endless theater plays xD

Also, she used to be incredibly clumsy and trip and fall down on perfectly even surfaces. She once slipped under a bus on the bus stop, in winter! LOL Good for her that the bus didn't move for a min and that I was there to drag her outa there :laughing: I was always pissed at her for such things, so embarrassing! :D

She used to tell our mom her recent dreams in serial form. Like, when mom needed her to stop, she ended her incredibly BS-full stories with "I tell you the rest next time!". And so on. The one single dream :D She is quoted in our family for such openings for her stories like "Once, when I was still a cat..." :tongue:

I wonder just how much head space is occupied by such things in Ne-dom kids...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm only barely now trying to piece together my childhood. I was too busy just being me that I never really wondered about me.

I remember being BORED and bugging my mom until she got tired of me and either kicked me out of the house or assigned me chores. I used to play pretend all of the time, the floor was lava, I drew cities of chalk on the concrete, I was a superhero.

When not watched, which was often, I'd raid the kitchen and 'cook'. For some reason I thought it was cool to take a slice white bread and make a tortilla out of it by rolling it out, even though there were tortillas in the fridge. Also I would make sandwiches out of the strangest combinations I could find: peanutbutter, bologna, pickles, potato chips and jelly.

Also, I would mix household chemicals and pour them on plants as 'experiments' and then never check on them again to see what happened.

I would ride my bike out into the desert (i lived at the edge of town) and be free. I had adventures out there. Wars with kids with slingshots. Swimming in irrigation canals. Make a hobo-home in an overturned shipping container parked next to a cotton field. Establishing villages in huge sinkholes in the sand with friends, which I assumed at the time was made by some meteor strike. We'd come across other tribes and start dirt clod wars.

I got whopped in church a lot. I would talk and play with whomever was next to me. I learned to keep quiet and pretend I was setting the preacher on fire with my laser stare. I would pick cotton off my socks and blow them into the air like dandelion seeds and see them land in some old woman's hair and try not to giggle. The 'walk of shame' for a kid was to be walked down the hall by your dad down the middle aisle, everyone knew what was going to happen to you.

I kissed my cousin once, in a shed, while living with my aunt while my mom was in the hospital. I put toothpicks into school locks and break them off as acts of sabotage. I would chase my cat around, looking for something to hug, she would always run. I once covered her in perfume, and she died.

I breathed smoke from my breath on cold mornings, like a dragon. I would jump fences and cross yards and run from dogs. I picked on other kids and got my ass kicked repeatedly.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
0-5: According to my parents, I wasn't too demanding a baby. They may have only said this because my brother was VERY fussy and made them completely miserable so, by comparison, I was easy. As a really little kid, I liked to make up stories. I'm pretty sure I was about 3 when making up the first stories. I had this insatiable thirst for new stories. My parents were ISTJ and ISFJ so, sadly, they were pretty bad at making up stories so getting to hear one was a rare occurrence that I relished. According to my mom, I remembered them months later and badgered them endlessly. I was an emotional kid but was usually in good spirits. I loved being the center of attention and this often got me in trouble. I was a troublemaker at first and was such an out-of-the-box thinker that it was really hard to predict my behavior but I mellowed out later on.

6-10: I consider 8 through 15 the bad years. I was completely miserable and, as a result, went out of my way to receive attention that no one would give me. So I won't dwell on that. 6 and 7 were, apparently, awful for people who had to deal with me. I pity my first grade teacher. I must have given her gray hairs. My best friend at the time (INTP) and I would stop at nothing to make trouble and disrupt the class. I just saw her last Friday and thankfully, we are a lot better. Still completely nuts but actually mature.

11-15: I was miserable. I'd rather not talk about it. As far as I'm concerned, my childhood ended when I was 8. I have just about no truly happy memories until I was 16. And 16 really isn't a child.

For fun:

Age 4:
I've actually used some of those names in a story I'm writing now.

Age 5:
I've always had perfect pitch. Not the right key necessarily but I can always stay on key.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My mom said she always had to repeat things to me (and she still does) and I was happy all of the time, I also ran away 3 times because I was curious about the world, kind of how dogs are when they run away. I liked to play a lot of imaginary games like superheroes and stuff, I hated sports and to this day I hate sports. As a kid I didn't really fit in with anyone too much. Most of the time I dreaded recess because I didn't want to play any sports and I always got bored on the playground just running around and stuff. After that I felt lonely and when 6th grade came along I just wanted to be liked so I started to getting along with the popular crowd cause I was witty. Then something happened and I got really awkward with some people, the popular kids that intimidated me. Idk there's too much to write about.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My mom says I used to be smiling and happy but often had my head totally in the clouds. Then again I used to be very responsible and worrying about things, like what if I lose my keys, sleep too late and so on.

I was pretty organized as a child and really good and responsible at school, always on track with homework, exams and so on. My littlesister was the one losing her sh*t all the time, being late from school, the most disorganized person ever.
Why I think this is hilarious is I ended up being an ENFP and my sister is an xNFJ :glee:
Now I'm the one always late, procrastinating with everything and my sister is the one with clear goals, great with school and gets all her essays etc done in time, lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts